Cactus Kickoff - BYU vs Arizona

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

UALoco

Cactus Kickoff - BYU vs Arizona

Post by UALoco »

I took a look at Ticketmaster to see how the tickets were selling...the BYU side is MUCH fuller than the UA side. :oops:
ASUHATER!

Re: Cactus Kickoff - BYU vs Arizona

Post by ASUHATER! »

The Mesa Mormons will be there in force.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Didn't even know they had a site for ticket sales? What is it as I plan on buying a bunch for the family. Took 7 to the Fiesta bowl and this time we will have 9
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Is Machina going? Hasn't he been bitching to Byrne to get a game up there?
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

ASUHATER! wrote:The Mesa Mormons will be there in force.
A lot of East Valley Mo's will be there. I sat next to one at the game at AZ stadium - it was quite fun.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Why do you invite two Mo's fishing?

If you only take one, he'll drink all of your beer!
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

Here is the link to the ticketmaster site:
http://www.ticketmaster.com/arizona-wil ... 2CFB584328
GYMIL

Post by GYMIL »

Will not help for BYU but we will not be using our tickets section 201 row 3 in Oct. & Dec.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

At the RoadTour stop in Phoenix last night, Byrne and RR pleaded with folks to pick-up tickets to that game. Folks have been asking for a regular season football game in Phoenix for some time now and they made it happen. They also pointed out that, to-date, the BYU section has sold better. There is time but we need to turn that around.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I'm going and bringing 6.
VegasCatFan

Post by VegasCatFan »

Going with the wife and her brother. Bought tickets a couple months ago. Hoping to hang out at a tailgate. Azcats49?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

VegasCatFan wrote:Going with the wife and her brother. Bought tickets a couple months ago. Hoping to hang out at a tailgate. Azcats49?
Yep, we will do it. Haven't bought yet but will mid summer
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

I am planning on attending; buying mid-summer because I'm not sure how many will be coming along with. What are ticket prices looking like?

49, Cal State - let me know what you'd like to drink. Stopping by wherever you're tailgating.

edit: also, what side is the UA side?

edit (again): UA is the Cardinals (home) sideline?

edit (again): prices higher than I thought, will they drop through July?
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

CatsbyAZ wrote:I am planning on attending; buying mid-summer because I'm not sure how many will be coming along with. What are ticket prices looking like?

49, Cal State - let me know what you'd like to drink. Stopping by wherever you're tailgating.

edit: also, what side is the UA side?

edit (again): UA is the Cardinals (home) sideline?

edit (again): prices higher than I thought, will they drop through July?
Buying second hand won't help UA but those prices may drop. Only other option would be hoping for a groupon or living social deal.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

PHXCATS wrote: Buying second hand won't help UA but those prices may drop. Only other option would be hoping for a groupon or living social deal.
Where do you buy tickets direct - easy as the UA Athletic site? Only time I ever buy direct is at the stadium ticket booth.

edit (again): If you buy "direct" through the UA Athletic Site link you're sent to Ticketmaster anyway.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

That link is used for tracking by UA
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

I've been on this for a while.
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

And this is surprising because?
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

I still think a lot of people from Tucson are waiting on the start time. I know a small majority wont buy tickets because they think its taking a home game away (not understanding its H/A/N format), but I think more are hoping for a mid afternoon kickoff so they can drive up and back.

I have 4 tickets personally. Cant wait.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

What time will the game start?

A: The game time will be determined by the Pac-12’s television partners. We are expecting the game time will be announced in June.
Siempre Verde

Post by Siempre Verde »

I'm waiting to see if the Athletic Dept (thru Bon Voyage, most likely) puts together a charter bus/rolling tailgate/game ticket package. If they do, I'd rather leave the driving to a professional since I'm sure we won't be drinking iced tea up there. If not, I'll make last minute arrangements to go.

I've heard nothing about this happening, but I do think it would be enticing to some.
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

They have it for Phx fans to go to games in Tucson. It would make too much sense to have it in reverse. 2 bus loads, meet on campus, up and back after the game.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

Gilbertcat wrote:I still think a lot of people from Tucson are waiting on the start time. I know a small majority wont buy tickets because they think its taking a home game away (not understanding its H/A/N format), but I think more are hoping for a mid afternoon kickoff so they can drive up and back.
Really? Are Arizona fans that ignorant and/or petty? I'm kinda ashamed we can't fill the stadium. :oops:

It is the first game of the year, it is a short 2 hr drive, it is at a premier football stadium, and it is against a high profile program. It is attitudes like that that explain why we can't have anything nice. #neverelite
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

This game will be a good test to determine if AZ plays any more neutral games in Phoenix. Maybe neutral games in general. If it's worth the revenue return.

Both schools get a percentage of the ticket/gate, concessions, parking, merchandise and sponsorship money. Obviously the more that attend, the more revenue AZ takes in.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

UALoco wrote:
Gilbertcat wrote:I still think a lot of people from Tucson are waiting on the start time. I know a small majority wont buy tickets because they think its taking a home game away (not understanding its H/A/N format), but I think more are hoping for a mid afternoon kickoff so they can drive up and back.
Really? Are Arizona fans that ignorant and/or petty? I'm kinda ashamed we can't fill the stadium. :oops:

It is the first game of the year, it is a short 2 hr drive, it is at a premier football stadium, and it is against a high profile program. It is attitudes like that that explain why we can't have anything nice. #neverelite

Not disagreeing with you, but it's pretty sad when BYU is now considered a high profile team. Not that the Cats could get Notre Dame again on the schedule.
Sid

Post by Sid »

Any recommendations for a hotel with a kid friendly pool (huge water slide) relatively close to the stadium?

Thanks!
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Merkin wrote:but it's pretty sad when BYU is now considered a high profile team.
I wouldn't put them with the Alabama's and Ohio States's of the land, but they have clearly been at least a rung up the ladder (if not more) than us.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Sid wrote:Any recommendations for a hotel with a kid friendly pool (huge water slide) relatively close to the stadium?

Thanks!
Renaissance is right there with a good pool but no slides. All the spots I know of with good slides are not near the stadium.
Sid

Post by Sid »

PHXCATS wrote:
Sid wrote:Any recommendations for a hotel with a kid friendly pool (huge water slide) relatively close to the stadium?

Thanks!
Renaissance is right there with a good pool but no slides. All the spots I know of with good slides are not near the stadium.

Thank you! I need to sell this road trip to the wife, thought a really cool pool might win over the kids...
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

Merkin wrote:
UALoco wrote:

Not disagreeing with you, but it's pretty sad when BYU is now considered a high profile team. Not that the Cats could get Notre Dame again on the schedule.
If they played on Sundays, there would be a couple of power 5 confernces that would pick them up. Also, yes, they are high profile, they have their own network and they are outselling us in our backyard. Jeez, I'd hate to see what sales would look like if we played a team with a higher profile.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

UALoco wrote:
Merkin wrote:
UALoco wrote:

If they played on Sundays, there would be a couple of power 5 confernces that would pick them up. Also, yes, they are high profile, they have their own network and they are outselling us in our backyard. Jeez, I'd hate to see what sales would look like if we played a team with a higher profile.
They'd be much better since most arizona fans agree with the above post of "really, byu is high profile?"

If we were playing Texas or Wisconsin or something instead there would be insanely higher interest from Arizona fans.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

I talked to a few friends of mine (here in Phoenix) and it sounds like the main reason they weren't so excited about this game is because their memories of the Boise St. game were still fresh and Arizona hasn't really done much since to show they are any better. That argument I can understand more than "BYU is not high profile." We froze our ass off at the Fiesta Bowl tailgate and then the team got outclassed on the field. The weather will be much warmer and hopefully Arizona will "show up" on opening weekend to put those memories behind us.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

UALoco wrote:I talked to a few friends of mine (here in Phoenix) and it sounds like the main reason they weren't so excited about this game is because their memories of the Boise St. game were still fresh and Arizona hasn't really done much since to show they are any better. That argument I can understand more than "BYU is not high profile." We froze our ass off at the Fiesta Bowl tailgate and then the team got outclassed on the field. The weather will be much warmer and hopefully Arizona will "show up" on opening weekend to put those memories behind us.
Forget the tailgate - I was freaking freezing in the stadium. It's got a good cooling system, but no heat.
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

7:30 start time. Pretty much the death penalty in terms of getting a lot of people from Tucson. It will still be fun.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

BYU fans coming down from Utah for the weekend, along with the Mormons in Mesa will own the house.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Gilbertcat wrote:7:30 start time. Pretty much the death penalty in terms of getting a lot of people from Tucson. It will still be fun.
Hopefully Tucson residents can just stay the night and pump money into the economy like a lot of PHX residents do in Tucson a few times a year. Or just drive right back like hundreds do every game back to PHX.

Sucks for the Tucson crowd but whatever, many were looking for a reason not to go already. Not making it easy for Greg.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Merkin wrote:BYU fans coming down from Utah for the weekend, along with the Mormons in Mesa will own the house.
Why will Utah people do this but Tucson people won't?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

PHXCATS wrote:
Merkin wrote:BYU fans coming down from Utah for the weekend, along with the Mormons in Mesa will own the house.
No doubt some will, but the fair weather fan won't want to spend 100 bones on a hotel 2 hours away from home, esp. in PHX.

Hopefully the UA alumni up there will turn out.

Speaking of which, whatever happened to Machina?

He has been asking for this for years.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

Let's be honest..it is hard for Tucson to sell out the stadium when the game is in Tucson.

The AZ alumni in Phoenix don't get any news about the football team unless they are hardcore fans and look for it. They are probably going to be in San Diego on Labor Day Weekend.

I think there will be late AZ push for tickets during the run-up to the game with all the College Football Opening Day hype. The BYU fans have to plan early to make the trip down, get hotel rooms, and airfare.

Tucson fans should be able to find pretty good "staycation" hotel deals in Phoenix.
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

Looking at the map again, BYU is out-selling the home side. But its not a crazy amount. Plenty of dark blues on both sides. Other than knowing about the game because of newsletters and twitter, I cant say a lot of promotion has been done in the area to attract casual fans. I would run an ad asking "would you rather sit in a hot stadium watching some blowhard coach a clown school, or would you rather sit in an air conditioned environment and watch 2 good programs light up the scoreboard".

I assume they will sell beer too, make an entire ad on that. Sell the beer, stay for the game.
azthrillhouse

Post by azthrillhouse »

Welp, I bought tickets for my young kids for this one but looks like I might have to make other arrangements due to the late kick.

BTW, happened to check UoP website for tailgating info....
http://www.universityofphoenixstadium.c ... 8/date/865" target="_blank

(spoke to guy at UoP who said that the info on 10x10 tents is erroneous, they will be allowed in the parking lot, but the grass will be off-limits to setting up a canopy. Lame.)
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

azthrillhouse wrote:Welp, I bought tickets for my young kids for this one but looks like I might have to make other arrangements due to the late kick.

(spoke to guy at UoP who said that the info on 10x10 tents is erroneous, they will be allowed in the parking lot, but the grass will be off-limits to setting up a canopy. Lame.)
Yeah, tailgating at UoP sucks compared to the UA Mall but the stadium itself is so nice.
azthrillhouse

Post by azthrillhouse »

UALoco wrote:
azthrillhouse wrote:Welp, I bought tickets for my young kids for this one but looks like I might have to make other arrangements due to the late kick.

Yeah, tailgating at UoP sucks compared to the UA Mall but the stadium itself is so nice.
I would say that tailgating at UoP for Cardinals games, on the great lawn, is just as good as the mall at UofA, it's a good scene, lots of people put a lot of effort into it, and because you can't park on that lawn, it's a little bit more egalitarian compared to the RV-centric scene at UofA. To me what tips the scales in UofA's favor is the "scenery" which is far, far better. :-)

Was looking forward to tailgating for the BYU game but Sept 3, starting at 2PM, on concrete.....
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Going to have to get a hotel room and tailgate there and take a cab over if it is not close enough to walk. The bars will be packed
Machina

Post by Machina »

Merkin wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
No doubt some will, but the fair weather fan won't want to spend 100 bones on a hotel 2 hours away from home, esp. in PHX.

Hopefully the UA alumni up there will turn out.

Speaking of which, whatever happened to Machina?

He has been asking for this for years.
Bought my tickets day one. Thanks for asking me to check in. Best wishes.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I thought about going to the game but that probably won't happen now. Unless my one good friend that lives in downtown phx wants to cram several people into his 1 br apartment.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Start time is tough for Tucson residents but hundreds of fans do it multiple times every year in reverse. And this game is way bigger. I feel bad for Greg.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

Screen Shot 2016-06-02 at 3.08.36 PM (2).png
Screen Shot 2016-06-02 at 3.08.36 PM (2).png (218.06 KiB) Viewed 2714 times
You can find some cheap hotels or AirBnB's on the west side. I understand not wanting to drive after the game since they will sell alcohol. Anyways, this is what the image looks like in Ticketmaster where you can see how much BYU is selling compared to us.
prh

Post by prh »

Wasn't the point of this game to cater to the Phoenix fans? We see them asking for games every year, why is it suddenly Tucson's responsibility to fill UoP up? Am I missing something here?