2018 Recruit/Commitment Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

CatsbyAZ

Re: 2018 Recruit/Commitment Thread

Post by CatsbyAZ »

4 other FBS offers, all from Mountain West schools
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

CatsbyAZ wrote:4 other FBS offers, all from Mountain West schools

Are you surprised?
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

It should not matter what offer this kid had. Glad he choose Arizona over what 5 MW, 1 PAC12 and 1 FCS.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

cordera89 wrote:It should not matter what offer this kid had. Glad he choose Arizona over what 5 MW, 1 PAC12 and 1 FCS.

Sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it does. Sometimes the kid flies under the radar. Sometimes the kid doesn't fly under the radar.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

Good size and a productive year last year. Why not offer a kid like this? He's a summer away in the weight room from being a DE.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

chiefzona wrote:
CatsbyAZ wrote:4 other FBS offers, all from Mountain West schools

Are you surprised?
I would like to be, for once
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

whatisee wrote:Good size and a productive year last year. Why not offer a kid like this? He's a summer away in the weight room from being a DE.

He's raw and will be a project. His athletic skills seem to be there. IMO he would make a better OLB than a DE/STUD. I've heard people say he's a good get. We'll see. Early commitment is not always the best thing.
Sid

Post by Sid »

chiefzona wrote:
whatisee wrote:Good size and a productive year last year. Why not offer a kid like this? He's a summer away in the weight room from being a DE.

He's raw and will be a project. His athletic skills seem to be there. IMO he would make a better OLB than a DE/STUD. I've heard people say he's a good get. We'll see. Early commitment is not always the best thing.
Speaking of athletic skills, during my pre-work walk on the beach this morning Sam Darnold was slinging it with the Notre Dame QB and a coach. Sam was throwing serious heat, Jesus......
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Sid wrote:
chiefzona wrote:

Speaking of athletic skills, during my pre-work walk on the beach this morning Sam Darnold was slinging it with the Notre Dame QB and a coach. Sam was throwing serious heat, Jesus......

Pretty cool to see a real QB, huh?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

chiefzona wrote: Early commitment
Shouldn't even be called "commits". Seems the Cats lose every diamond in the rough once they get discovered.
Sid

Post by Sid »

chiefzona wrote:
Sid wrote:
chiefzona wrote:

Pretty cool to see a real QB, huh?
No doubt. Takes some serious skill to make those accurate throws in the loose sand. The coach was running routes on the hard sand (near me) waters edge as Sam would hit him perfectly every time while scrambling around from up top on the beach. Not a big deal to many I can imagine, but I thought it was really fucking cool to see and got me pumped up for football again!
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Running Back Jawhar Jordan from Chandler committed to Syracuse yesterday. RichRod & Staff were in the midst of recruiting Jordan too, and I'm wondering if RichRod admitted "you know what, odds are just as high I coach you at one of these east coast jobs I'm rumored to always be fishing for."
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

CatsbyAZ wrote:Running Back Jawhar Jordan from Chandler committed to Syracuse yesterday. RichRod & Staff were in the midst of recruiting Jordan too, and I'm wondering if RichRod admitted "you know what, odds are just as high I coach you at one of these east coast jobs I'm rumored to always be fishing for."
I wonder if their others RB for RR to recruit out their.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

cordera89 wrote:
CatsbyAZ wrote:Running Back Jawhar Jordan from Chandler committed to Syracuse yesterday. RichRod & Staff were in the midst of recruiting Jordan too, and I'm wondering if RichRod admitted "you know what, odds are just as high I coach you at one of these east coast jobs I'm rumored to always be fishing for."

There are all kinds of RBs to recruit out there.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

cordera89 wrote:

cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

chiefzona wrote:
cordera89 wrote:

Well let see, we have offer 12 RB and I'm expecting at least 3 to 4 to commit. http://www.scout.com/college/arizona/20 ... ing%20Back" target="_blank
the real dill

Post by the real dill »

chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

the real dill wrote:

He hasn't recruited any area. Rich Rod is easily one of the worst recruiting coaches I've ever seen at the CFB level. He has no clue at all. It's embarrassing.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I can't argue with you considering his classes are pretty pedestrian but I would sure like to hear about some examples or reasons why he is "bad".

He is so personable you would think he would own the living room. Granted he can't develop players but it's not like his history/performance is that bad. One would think he had a recruiting game plan and coordinator to help execute said plan
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

azcat49 wrote:I can't argue with you considering his classes are pretty pedestrian but I would sure like to hear about some examples or reasons why he is "bad".

He is so personable you would think he would own the living room. Granted he can't develop players but it's not like his history/performance is that bad. One would think he had a recruiting game plan and coordinator to help execute said plan

Look at the roster. Look at the product on the field. Most of the roster would not start for Oregon State. Most of the QBs wouldn't start at Eastern Washington. He's supposed to be a QB whisperer but we all can see that he is not. His player evaluations are bad. His player development is worse. He has a coordinator to execute.....his name is Rich Rod.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

So he's in the picture holding a Sun Devil helmet, but wearing a Cats shirt?

What's the deal?
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

MountainCat wrote:So he's in the picture holding a Sun Devil helmet, but wearing a Cats shirt?

What's the deal?

RB for hire.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

MountainCat wrote:So he's in the picture holding a Sun Devil helmet, but wearing a Cats shirt?

What's the deal?

Cienega Bobcats
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

What's the deal?
16 year old kid who loves the attention?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

whatisee wrote:

What's the deal?
16 year old kid who loves the attention?
Like Chief said he plays for the Cienega Bobcats. That's Cienega's logo on the shirt.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Jamarye Joiner is on the local 7 vs 7 team "Tucson Turf" and he is a receiver. Marana's QB, Trenton Bourguet is the QB for that team and throws to Joiner. I follow that team pretty closely and Bourguet is definitely on the up and up. Joiner looks like he'd make a good receiver.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Arizona landed their sixth commitment. http://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildcat ... 30232.html" target="_blank
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

cordera89 wrote:Arizona landed their sixth commitment. http://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildcat ... 30232.html" target="_blank

Sigh.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

3 star with offers from South Florida, South Alabama, Toledo, Bowling Green, Buffalo and Arizona.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

ASUHATER! wrote:3 star with offers from South Florida, South Alabama, Toledo, Bowling Green, Buffalo and Arizona.
I don't see how this is a concern of what schools this kids was offer before committing to UA. Every time it always same collective argument were we look at every school each prospect was offer by before committing to UA.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

cordera89 wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:3 star with offers from South Florida, South Alabama, Toledo, Bowling Green, Buffalo and Arizona.
I don't see how this is a concern of what schools this kids was offer before committing to UA. Every time it always same collective argument were we look at every school each prospect was offer by before committing to UA.
How many of the kids that Alabama signs only have offers from sun belt and mac schools?

chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

cordera89 wrote:

What's concerning is his film. He's lackluster and undersized. He's being underrecruited because the film don't lie. Whoever is signing off on these offers is way out of touch with football.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

chiefzona wrote:
cordera89 wrote:

What's concerning is his film. He's lackluster and undersized. He's being underrecruited because the film don't lie. Whoever is signing off on these offers is way out of touch with football.
So why judge him based on the film.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

ASUHATER! wrote:
cordera89 wrote:
How many of the kids that Alabama signs only have offers from sun belt and mac schools?
Is Arizona the same level as Alabama when it come to recruiting a bunch a 4-5 stars prospects.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

chiefzona wrote:
cordera89 wrote:

We'll revisit this comment on better terms after a motivated senior season reels in that last minute backup offer from Wake Forest or Virginia. He'll jump ship for any sort've closer P5 interest.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

CatsbyAZ wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
cordera89 wrote:

We'll revisit this comment on better terms after a motivated senior season reels in that last minute backup offer from Wake Forest or Virginia. He'll jump ship for any sort've closer P5 interest.

The problem is that the offer was already thrown out like candy. Recruiting has not changed at all. It's throw a bone to a lesser known kid with hopes he commits....gets to Arizona and is a non-factor....wash....rinse....repeat.
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

Good grief, I just don’t understand this type of recruiting that RR is so enamored with. No one with two recruiting brain cells to rub together travels all the way across the country to recruit a kid that you could pick up all day long in California, Nevada and Arizona.

You don’t spend the time and money by going to a place like Florida unless you are going there to get the baddest MF'er there is at his position. Yes you’ll be going up against FSU and UF. Thats the only reason you step outside your regional comfort zone. Basically a can’t miss very highly rated prospect that is so good he may very likely play from day one.

The last few years of recruiting has been a ******* lobotomy of the mind in trying to understand the incoherent and head scratching direction that these guys are utilizing as a recruiting blueprint.

To be honest this crap isn’t even worth following as it relates to football other than pure amusement.
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

It's 100% an Addae guy, right in his area, but yeah not overly exciting. We will see if he picks up offers on the camp circuit.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Gladiator Cat wrote:Good grief, I just don’t understand this type of recruiting that RR is so enamored with. No one with two recruiting brain cells to rub together travels all the way across the country to recruit a kid that you could pick up all day long in California, Nevada and Arizona.

You don’t spend the time and money by going to a place like Florida unless you are going there to get the baddest MF'er there is at his position. Yes you’ll be going up against FSU and UF. Thats the only reason you step outside your regional comfort zone. Basically a can’t miss very highly rated prospect that is so good he may very likely play from day one.

The last few years of recruiting has been a ******* lobotomy of the mind in trying to understand the incoherent and head scratching direction that these guys are utilizing as a recruiting blueprint.

To be honest this crap isn’t even worth following as it relates to football other than pure amusement.
How many WC Schools recruit Prospects from East, How Many EC Schools recruit prospects from West? I'm talking about every school in the P5 conference.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

When we recruit the top-flight guys, typically they commit and then change their mind once they get attention from the bigger schools, or they waste our time and end-up recruiting with another school anyways...we are gonna need to get diamonds in the rough, coach them up, and hope they exceed expectations. Might get one or two Eletise or Tilford a year.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

UALoco wrote:When we recruit the top-flight guys, typically they commit and then change their mind once they get attention from the bigger schools, or they waste our time and end-up recruiting with another school anyways...we are gonna need to get diamonds in the rough, coach them up, and hope they exceed expectations. Might get one or two Eletise or Tilford a year.
I slightly disagree with the simplicity of the situation you've laid out. We aren't getting that much attention or commits at any point from the very top 5/4 stars (I guess Johnson last year, yes), the type who opt for SC, UCLA, Stanford from the get go. The bigger problem is more often the solid three stars who flip after we've spent so much time courting them. The three stars with solid offers should be forming the core of our signing classes, and in aggregate they make or break a program's roster. Consistently winning programs like Iowa, Wisconsin, Utah, Oklahoma State, and the Gary Pinkel Missouri teams make a living off of taking the Bill Parcell's approach and focusing on bettering the entire roster with solid contributors rather than getting caught up chasing the lightning in the bottle of the few 5 stars talents. Thing is - these programs then spent a lot of time developing these 3 star talents with red shirt programs and mentoring from established starters.

So there's two major problems with the current coaching staff's recruiting - 1) not getting a solid core of dependable 3 star talents and 2) not developing what they do sign.
HaCats

Post by HaCats »

Wasn't June far and away our highest commit month last year, thought we had like 11 or 12 commits. What do we have on June 20th this year in this month.....like 2? If that isn't exhibit A for how our program is in total reverse right now, I don't know what is.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

CatsbyAZ wrote:
UALoco wrote:When we recruit the top-flight guys, typically they commit and then change their mind once they get attention from the bigger schools, or they waste our time and end-up recruiting with another school anyways...we are gonna need to get diamonds in the rough, coach them up, and hope they exceed expectations. Might get one or two Eletise or Tilford a year.
I slightly disagree with the simplicity of the situation you've laid out. We aren't getting that much attention or commits at any point from the very top 5/4 stars (I guess Johnson last year, yes), the type who opt for SC, UCLA, Stanford from the get go. The bigger problem is more often the solid three stars who flip after we've spent so much time courting them. The three stars with solid offers should be forming the core of our signing classes, and in aggregate they make or break a program's roster. Consistently winning programs like Iowa, Wisconsin, Utah, Oklahoma State, and the Gary Pinkel Missouri teams make a living off of taking the Bill Parcell's approach and focusing on bettering the entire roster with solid contributors rather than getting caught up chasing the lightning in the bottle of the few 5 stars talents. Thing is - these programs then spent a lot of time developing these 3 star talents with red shirt programs and mentoring from established starters.

So there's two major problems with the current coaching staff's recruiting - 1) not getting a solid core of dependable 3 star talents and 2) not developing what they do sign.
Why don't you read these article before making a comparison to school that Arizona has no business being compare too and blaming thing on Recruiting.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-footba ... chy-052517" target="_blank

http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... -jobs-1-65" target="_blank
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

HaCats wrote:Wasn't June far and away our highest commit month last year, thought we had like 11 or 12 commits. What do we have on June 20th this year in this month.....like 2? If that isn't exhibit A for how our program is in total reverse right now, I don't know what is.

Hard to argue with that. #juneswoon
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

chiefzona wrote:
HaCats wrote:Wasn't June far and away our highest commit month last year, thought we had like 11 or 12 commits. What do we have on June 20th this year in this month.....like 2? If that isn't exhibit A for how our program is in total reverse right now, I don't know what is.

Hard to argue with that. #juneswoon
How is it hard to argue when all you have to do is go look at how many recruits that commit in june? Here let me give you an example.

2018 we had 1 commit in June we don't know how many more will or wont commit in June.
2017 we had 3 commit in June but don't know about the rest it only have there sign LOT date.
2016 we had 8 commit in June.
2015 we had 12 commit in June.
2014 we had 6 commit in June.
2013 we had 9 commit in June.
2012 we had 10 commit in June.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Hopefully its because we were after better players. Hey, one can hope
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

I personally welcome our future new overlord who is probably an OC or DC at another school.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

ChooChooCat wrote:I personally welcome our future new overlord who is probably an OC or DC at another school.
All I want is a coach that can recruit. Xs and Os can come later...

azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

He is on campus and his last name is Romar :)