2018 Recruit/Commitment Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ramcat

Re: 2018 Recruit/Commitment Thread

Post by ramcat »

Possible DB addition, up against Ducks and Cougs.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.azdese ... gton-state" target="_blank
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

ramcat wrote:Possible DB addition, up against Ducks and Cougs.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.azdese ... gton-state" target="_blank
Nice offers for a Two Star and a position of need. Looks like he's undervalued and would make a great addition to the CB's if we can land him.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

HaCats wrote:Guy actually resembles a D1 Defensive Lineman. Have to hope against hope we can find a way to actually keep him and that he can bring some friends.
said it for me
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

ramcat

Post by ramcat »

Louisiana Tech WR flip?

http://scout.com/college/arizona/Articl ... -105894534" target="_blank
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

catinfl

Post by catinfl »

If his measurables are right then he's huge and would likely be a stud or move to DE full time, but I like his tape. No really good offers other than Syracuse.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

catinfl wrote:
If his measurables are right then he's huge and would likely be a stud or move to DE full time, but I like his tape. No really good offers other than Syracuse.

He has a Syracuse offer?
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

He needs some work if he sticks around. Good power and size. Decent speed. Bad hands and plays too high.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Well that's what coaching is for. Good looking prospect with a nice list.

Vince Amey is turning into a pretty good recruiter
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Haki Woods is decent. Like to see him at safety though.
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

chiefzona wrote:Haki Woods is decent. Like to see him at safety though.
Didn't see, was he added? Nice size CB, definitely could see safety ahead.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

azcat49 wrote:Well that's what coaching is for. Good looking prospect with a nice list.

Vince Amey is turning into a pretty good recruiter
The UCLA offer is impressive... but none of the other schools he listed had offered - at least not according to Scout & 247.

Hopefully he is legit and he sticks.
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Keep the steady stream of commits coming
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Amey had done a hell of a job recruiting. I also think the new coaches, Yates, Boone and Schoor have brought great experience and better teaching to our defense. I actually believe we will be better on D this year. Who knows, we might really surprise some people, including most of us. Can you imagine how upset Chief would be if that happened LOL
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

I agree. Liking what I'm hearing from camp on def., hopefully offense will be more proficient to help them! Think Wood can be mini-gronk from what I'm hearing, which would really help!!
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

ramcat wrote:I agree. Liking what I'm hearing from camp on def., hopefully offense will be more proficient to help them! Think Wood can be mini-gronk from what I'm hearing, which would really help!!
They really need to use the TE's this year to take some pressure off our QB's, especially on those third and sevens we will see. Huge target in TW and throwing to him should be a very high % play
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

azcat49 wrote:Amey had done a hell of a job recruiting. I also think the new coaches, Yates, Boone and Schoor have brought great experience and better teaching to our defense. I actually believe we will be better on D this year. Who knows, we might really surprise some people, including most of us. Can you imagine how upset Chief would be if that happened LOL

RR's clock is ticking regardless of any outcome. There's hype every year at this time because the local media and those who profit off of the program do so for obvious reasons. You never really hear anything negative other than injuries. There are no surprises anymore.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

chiefzona wrote:
azcat49 wrote:Amey had done a hell of a job recruiting. I also think the new coaches, Yates, Boone and Schoor have brought great experience and better teaching to our defense. I actually believe we will be better on D this year. Who knows, we might really surprise some people, including most of us. Can you imagine how upset Chief would be if that happened LOL

RR's clock is ticking regardless of any outcome. There's hype every year at this time because the local media and those who profit off of the program do so for obvious reasons. You never really hear anything negative other than injuries. There are no surprises anymore.
Do Cat fans have short memories? Every year local ink fuels the hopes of us all and the Kool Aid flows ..... then the season begins.
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

azcat49 wrote:
ramcat wrote:I agree. Liking what I'm hearing from camp on def., hopefully offense will be more proficient to help them! Think Wood can be mini-gronk from what I'm hearing, which would really help!!
They really need to use the TE's this year to take some pressure off our QB's, especially on those third and sevens we will see. Huge target in TW and throwing to him should be a very high % play
Completely agree. Would think he should get 5-7 targets minimum. Lots singing his praises and as you say big target and catch radius.
Hoping some targets occur before 3rd downs as well to keep opposing def. off balance.
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

I would love to say that I want that very same thing for the defense simply because it means success to UofA football. Deep down I know another reason is exactly what you expressed. Chief will try to remain calm and make light of any success they have and find some way to trash RR. He will then try to tell us all he doesn't hate RR and we'll all laugh.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

tgrumpy2 wrote:

I would love to say that I want that very same thing for the defense simply because it means success to UofA football. Deep down I know another reason is exactly what you expressed. Chief will try to remain calm and make light of any success they have and find some way to trash RR. He will then try to tell us all he doesn't hate RR and we'll all laugh.

I like the play by play. :!:
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

Scout write up on Barnes.

http://scout.com/college/football/recru ... -106110933" target="_blank
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Tall corner so I think it was a good pick up. Of course lets see if we ink him come signing day. Given the state of the program I have been impressed with what they have done so far
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

This year for RR is akin to a professional athlete's contract year. If he performs well enough, he gets an extension. And if he can't deliver this season, he is incapable.

If he does ''well enough'... he gets a big fat long-term payday. Future years would determine if he is the real deal, or if he only turns it on when he needs to... to ensure his payday.

We've all seen it happen plenty of times before... if he goes 8-4 or better, he deserves a renewal & extension. But we won't know if he's fools gold chasing a buck or the real deal until further down the line.

I think he has shown enough for us to be confident that any talk of 'love & loyalty for Tucson & UA' is phony bullshit. Is he here to win or to guarantee a paycheck? We won't know that for a few years - if he does well enough to earn himself that shot. So this year we find out whether or not he CAN win when he absolutely HAS TO. As for whether or not he WILL on a regular basis... that will remain TBD for some time.

Just keepin it real.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Absolutely spot on Harvey. I am still betting on no but he might catch some lightning in a Bottle this year and save his bacon. I still think either way we will be happy as a fan base
Last edited by azcat49 on Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

azcat49 wrote:I am still betting on no but he might catch some lightning in a Bootle this year and save his bacon.
:lol:

49, this is the perfect Grandpa Simpson quote!
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Harvey Specter wrote: if he goes 8-4 or better, he deserves a renewal & extension.
RichRod deserves NCOY if he goes 8-4 with this team. Of the 135 teams in Div I, I doubt the total defense and passing offense will make top 100. Rushing offense, probably top 30. That's even with the cupcake OOC schedule.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Love your confidence Merk.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Puerco wrote:
azcat49 wrote:I am still betting on no but he might catch some lightning in a Bootle this year and save his bacon.
:lol:

49, this is the perfect Grandpa Simpson quote!
Haha, I can relate to that
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

The injury but bites again, even our commits
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Josh Walker decommitted lol. It took 1 game for us to lose our top recruit.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Good piece on Texas recruiting.

http://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildcat ... d=201408#2" target="_blank
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ramcat wrote:Legacy aboard.

https://www.azdesertswarm.com/recruitin ... 8-rankings" target="_blank
Had to look up his dad, kind of remember the name since I was a student then:

AFO poster:

http://arizonafootballonline.net/forum/ ... =2&t=36975" target="_blank

For rickyk, re: John Peters
Postby ValleyCat » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:17 am

You mentioned UofA recruit Jake Peters a while ago and said you did not recall his dad, John Peters. Off the top of my head, I asked if he might have been a backup QB. I have now had time to look through my collection of UofA media guides. (As an aside, of all the print media that have died in the internet & digital age, I think I most miss the annual printing of Wildcat football and basketball media guides. In the old days, I used to cajole them from Frank Soltys. Then I would call and ask for one. Then I had to buy them. I have every basketball from the 1973 season and every football from 1975, until we went internet).

Anyway, I found John Peters. He first appears in the 1984 media guide as a freshman QB from Independence High in Glendale. Other freshmen that year included Chuck Cecil ('nuff said), Joe Tofflemire (greatest UofA center ever), Dana Wells (future Pac10 Defensive POY), Boomer Gibson, Jeff Fairholm, George Hinkle, the Rinehart brothers. And ricky, you may remember this: the headline signings on LOI day were our two enormous "bookend offensive tackles Dave Winters (6-7, 285) and Larry Berg (6-7, 320)". Neither of them was any good. Among the frosh in that class was a linebacker from California named Vince Lotti. He was "my recruit." In those days, there was no prohibition against alums helping recruit in certain ways. Larry Smith had boosters write letters to recruits extolling the virtues of the UofA. I drew Vince Lotti. And he signed with us. I was good. :)

Back to John Peters. In 1985 media guide he is listed as a redshirt freshman QB. Larry Smith is quoted as saying "John showed in the spring that he is a fine young player."

In 1986 media guide, he is listed as a sophomore free safety. It says he earned a letter the previous season as a special teams player and that he was moved to free safety because, Smith said, he is "too good of an athlete not to have on the field."

In 1987 media guide, he is listed as a junior outside linebacker with two letters. Tomey says he was moved to OLB and "we will continue to evaluate his progress." It says he was a business administration major. A fair assumption is that he graduated and moved on.
TuiTouchdown

Post by TuiTouchdown »

ramcat wrote:Legacy aboard.

https://www.azdesertswarm.com/recruitin ... 8-rankings" target="_blank
Holds an offer from Washington. Not bad. Welcome aboard!
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Remember when RichRod used to pull scholies if "commits" continued to take their visits?

chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Merkin wrote:Remember when RichRod used to pull scholies if "commits" continued to take their visits?

I cannot mention any names on here but that bs was carried on and on by a certain pundit until people found out that person was completely wrong. Anyway.....change in stance. Haha. I don't think Joiner sticks around.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

If he gets someone else telling him he can play QB then he gone. Maybe even if we don't win enough he still may bolt. Right now we are the only one willing to let him play QB.

I did have someone who I respect tell me he thought Drew Dixon was a better thrower then JJ and he moved to WR (and is redshirting). While I would love to have a Tucson kid under center I am not sure this guy is a program changer.
BibbysTowelDude

Post by BibbysTowelDude »

I doubt he ends up here, he'll be "told" by someone that he can play QB wherever and then he'll be a Wide Receiver two weeks into his first fall camp.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

cordera89 wrote:
Yup keep running your fucking mouth like your going to do something. Puerco you need to lay the hell off, I having a hard fucking time trying to think that the info UAE got either true/false because I'm calling that into question? I don't believe that Joiner is having second thought on being a QB commit & want to play a different position. So shut the fuck up.

Suck it cordera:

http://scout.com/college/arizona/Articl ... -107354813

“I would like to run track in college, if possible," he said. "But the thing is I can’t play quarterback if I do run track, so I’m going to have to figure that out.”

Although he is committed to Arizona, Joiner is open to options.
-JB
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

ramcat

Post by ramcat »

Another Texas commit.

https://www.azdesertswarm.com/recruitin ... highlights" target="_blank
TuiTouchdown

Post by TuiTouchdown »

Not bad! Keep 'em coming. Welcome Tre!
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

-JB
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Another big receiver. Looks the part at least