DE-2

By State
AZ -1
CA-13
TX-5
CO-1
LA-1

Notice Anything?

Looks like Someone is worried about the passing attack!

Are they going to run the Triple Option?
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
MrBug708

Re: 2018 Recruit/Commitment Thread

Post by MrBug708 »

Eh, you can't just look at a class and assume something like that. The rest of the roster plays heavily into who you recruit as well
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

MrBug708 wrote:Eh, you can't just look at a class and assume something like that. The rest of the roster plays heavily into who you recruit as well
Graham's recruiting completely whiffed on DBs several years running, aiming for big 4/5 star names at a cost to securing dependable 3 stars. Going into last year their defensive backfield was the thinnest part of the roster. No surprise they went heavy after DBs.

The good news for them is that other than the WR corps, DB is the easiest unit to rebuild. Save a true shutdown corner, DBs are easier found than, say primo lineman, and you can develop and get DB recruits on the field faster.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

Was looking at why they didn't take a QB then I peeped their roster again. Wilkins RS Sr. Barnett RS Jr. Sterling-Cole Jr. Kelley RS Fr. Must be nice. Curious why Sterling-Cole never transferred.
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

CatsbyAZ wrote:Really sucks ASU somehow managed to out recruit us AGAIN. Probably not a huge deal, but when dang.

ASU grabbed Crosswell which was a good grab think he was dropped by USC? Not sure what happened there, but anyways he was always going to ASU as soon as they hired Pierce. They got that 4* LB from Serra as well. Other then that I do not think their class is that great. Todd Graham got a ton of 4*'s and mostly on defense and turned it into one of the worst defenses in the league. I know people are trashing this class, but if there was one thing about RIch is that he did evaluate well at times (Nate Phillips, Scooby, Schooler, Fields, Alsadek, Shun Brown, Tony Ellison) all 2* and low 3* guys. Maybe another diamond in the rough appears from this class maybe it doesn't. Regardless this class isn't a backbreaker for UofA or Sumlin by any means.

Sumlin will do fine recruiting here and will break into Phoenix this class was basically a scratch due to the hire in Mid-January and the fac that he could get Doyle to come here after basically recruiting him for a week is quite impressive to me. I think Sumlin will recover and win 7+ games next year and turns it into a top 25-30 class. ASU may have the better class, but lets not forget that they paid Cracker 12 million to buy him out only to hire a motivational ESPN figurehead who's been out of college coaching for 20 years. They can have this class and we will have the next 5 years.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

The thing that cracks me up is how HS coaches think they're such hot shit. Was looking at the ESPN article about Texas and how coaches are basically the gatekeepers. It's ridiculous. Don't you want the best for the kid and ultimately him decide? Saguaro coach said Sumlin hasn't visited or called and that was an "interesting strategy" in a very matter-of-fact way. The guy was hired 3.5 weeks ago and is busy figuring out his coaching staff/finalizing recruits and you think you are that important? Don't you already have a relationship from the Christian Kirk days? Maybe he already thought you were close? Are you that lacking in self confidence you need a visit within his first days there? We talk about the kids being entitled, but man I think HS/7on7 coaches are just as entitled. Not to mention college coaches try and destroy bad habits formed in HS. End rant.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

We have a punter
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

HUGE
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

Springer is a recruiter, springs into action!

This is just so cool. Springer knows he needs a punter to make his special teams competitive (or more). He goes and gets one.
Last edited by MrMeow on Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

46 punts for an avg of 43.0 and a long of 59. I'll take it.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

But can he rugby punt?

:D
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

I'll be happy with a punter who can actually catch the snap. Getting his foot on the ball will be a small victory.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Not in love with this class and definitely think Sumlin will recruit better but overall I do not think its terrible if some guys work hard and are developed well. One nice thing is Rich Rod finally got the hint to recruit size, 6 years too late for him though. I think only two guys are under 6'1.

Guys I love

Kevin Doyle - QB - Great Athlete and Great Video and seems to be one of the better natural QB's we have recruited in a very long time
Jamarye Joiner - QB/WR - Great Athlete who will make a great WR in my opinion. Very important to keep good local talent at U of A
Adam Plant - DE - Maybe my favorite recruit and Rich Rod finally figured out when it was too late to recruit big talented DL. Checks all the boxes to me

Guys I like
Deyvon Coleman - S/LB - Liked his film a lot and seems to be a physical guy with speed and can never have enough of those type of guys on defense
Issiah Johnson - LB - I know people who know OC football well and they said this guy is a player. Seems to have good size and athleticsm
Jhevon Hill - S - Great film and also appears to be a very good athlete
Zach Williams - TE/WR - To me the most underrated recruit we had. Great size and appears to have great athleticism too. No idea how we got him out of Georgia.
Donovan Laie - OL - Has the size and appears to have the skills to be a good OL for us long-term.
Steven Bailey - OL - I think will be a good interior OL for us for next two years and we could use some depth there. Seemed to be a great OL at his JUCO.
Christian Young - S - Good sized safety and should be a nice player for us
Mykee Irving - DT - Great size but needs a lot of work getting weight off. If he can get in better shape, has good strength and size which we have needed at DT.
McKenzie Barnes - CB - Late offer from UCLA tells me he has some skills and I like his height but needs to add a lot of strength to play in the PAC 12.

Guys I dont like much
Nahe Sulunga - Measurables suggest he is a weak athlete or out of shape and not productive at all in high school which is always concerning. Think he is an undersized DT trying to be a DE.
PJ Johnson - DT - Think he is an OK JUCO transfer. Has size but wasnt productive at either Sac State or San Fran CC. Not a great sign
Thomas Marcus - WR - Feels like a poor mans Juron Criner. Film shows a lot of weakness in that it seems to be just picking up the sport. Good athlete but will see if it translates to the field.
Jake Peters - TE - Feels like hopefully a guy who can bulk up to OT but if not does not seem to have the athleticism to be a great TE for us. Good high school blocking TE
David Watson - OT - Good size at OT but tape doesn't jump out at you and played against poor competition. Making the leap to PAC 12 will be massive for him. Don't hate him but doesn't feel like a great prospect to me
Tre Adams - WR - Just nothing special to me. Tall I guess but maybe I am wrong just seems very average from his film

Guys who I think are a waste of a scholarship
Darrius Smith - RB - Undersized RB's without elite speed...no thank you
Jailen Bailey - WR - Undersized WR's without even good speed....big no thank you

Feel free to commit, tell me I am wrong, etc, just my thoughts
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Only player I might look at Newport is the WR out of San Diego who is also a basketball player of some note. Tall kids with good hands and some hops. Not sure he is fast enough but definitely athletic. I think its Marcus
Last edited by azcat49 on Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

azcat49 wrote:Only player I might look at Newport is the WR out of San Diego who is also a basketball player of some note. Tall kids with good hands and some sorting. Not sure he is fast enough but definitely athletic. I think its Marcus
Yeah Thomas Marcus, good basketball player and maybe the next Juron Criner who was also a strong basketball player who became a great WR for us. Still surprised he did not make more of an impact in the league as to me had all the tools.

But Marcus appears to need to put on a good amount of weight and improve his routes a ton before he can make an impact at the PAC 12 level. Always like getting good athletes as a good athlete can be molded.

Its what I hate guys like Darrius Smith or Jaden Bailey as neither appears to be a good athlete. Both are small too so I think history has proven its very difficult to project either one of them doing anything of substance at the D1 level.

While Shun Brown and Tony Ellison are both small, both in high school were elite athletes at least.
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

Newportcat wrote:
azcat49 wrote:Only player I might look at Newport is the WR out of San Diego who is also a basketball player of some note. Tall kids with good hands and some sorting. Not sure he is fast enough but definitely athletic. I think its Marcus
Yeah Thomas Marcus, good basketball player and maybe the next Juron Criner who was also a strong basketball player who became a great WR for us. Still surprised he did not make more of an impact in the league as to me had all the tools.

But Marcus appears to need to put on a good amount of weight and improve his routes a ton before he can make an impact at the PAC 12 level. Always like getting good athletes as a good athlete can be molded.

Its what I hate guys like Darrius Smith or Jaden Bailey as neither appears to be a good athlete. Both are small too so I think history has proven its very difficult to project either one of them doing anything of substance at the D1 level.

While Shun Brown and Tony Ellison are both small, both in high school were elite athletes at least.
No idea if he'll be productive or not but Darrius Smith reminds me a little of Nate Phillips. Phillips faster but near same size, Smith runs 4.5, which isn't slow and very shifty. Very good strength numbers, Dist.Off.MVP as Jr with 2150 yds, all Dist.1st team as SR in 6a Texas. RB but has played slot and said to be solid receiver with soft hands.
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

Newportcat wrote:Not in love with this class and definitely think Sumlin will recruit better but overall I do not think its terrible if some guys work hard and are developed well. One nice thing is Rich Rod finally got the hint to recruit size, 6 years too late for him though. I think only two guys are under 6'1.

Guys I love

Kevin Doyle - QB - Great Athlete and Great Video and seems to be one of the better natural QB's we have recruited in a very long time
Jamarye Joiner - QB/WR - Great Athlete who will make a great WR in my opinion. Very important to keep good local talent at U of A
Adam Plant - DE - Maybe my favorite recruit and Rich Rod finally figured out when it was too late to recruit big talented DL. Checks all the boxes to me

Guys I like
Deyvon Coleman - S/LB - Liked his film a lot and seems to be a physical guy with speed and can never have enough of those type of guys on defense
Issiah Johnson - LB - I know people who know OC football well and they said this guy is a player. Seems to have good size and athleticsm
Jhevon Hill - S - Great film and also appears to be a very good athlete
Zach Williams - TE/WR - To me the most underrated recruit we had. Great size and appears to have great athleticism too. No idea how we got him out of Georgia.
Donovan Laie - OL - Has the size and appears to have the skills to be a good OL for us long-term.
Steven Bailey - OL - I think will be a good interior OL for us for next two years and we could use some depth there. Seemed to be a great OL at his JUCO.
Christian Young - S - Good sized safety and should be a nice player for us
Mykee Irving - DT - Great size but needs a lot of work getting weight off. If he can get in better shape, has good strength and size which we have needed at DT.
McKenzie Barnes - CB - Late offer from UCLA tells me he has some skills and I like his height but needs to add a lot of strength to play in the PAC 12.

Guys I dont like much
Nahe Sulunga - Measurables suggest he is a weak athlete or out of shape and not productive at all in high school which is always concerning. Think he is an undersized DT trying to be a DE.
PJ Johnson - DT - Think he is an OK JUCO transfer. Has size but wasnt productive at either Sac State or San Fran CC. Not a great sign
Thomas Marcus - WR - Feels like a poor mans Juron Criner. Film shows a lot of weakness in that it seems to be just picking up the sport. Good athlete but will see if it translates to the field.
Jake Peters - TE - Feels like hopefully a guy who can bulk up to OT but if not does not seem to have the athleticism to be a great TE for us. Good high school blocking TE
David Watson - OT - Good size at OT but tape doesn't jump out at you and played against poor competition. Making the leap to PAC 12 will be massive for him. Don't hate him but doesn't feel like a great prospect to me
Tre Adams - WR - Just nothing special to me. Tall I guess but maybe I am wrong just seems very average from his film

Guys who I think are a waste of a scholarship
Darrius Smith - RB - Undersized RB's without elite speed...no thank you
Jailen Bailey - WR - Undersized WR's without even good speed....big no thank you

Feel free to commit, tell me I am wrong, etc, just my thoughts

Salunga for some reason interested me. Can't even tell you why but I do know he had to sit out half of his senior year because he transferred. That may account for his low production numbers. I did watch some highlight film on him and to me he seemed pretty quick off the ball. Some scouts commented he plays to high and you can see that but that can also be coached. I'm hoping he is a tad bit better than you're projecting. My gut feeling after watching him is he's played on nothing but talent and natural brute strength and never worked at getting stronger which may account for his measurable being off and that concerns me. We'll see if he's committed to being a P12 defensive end.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

I'm going to go ahead and throw a name on here. Tommy Mommer. He's a three time Arizona State Champion wrestler and an All American at heavyweight from Cibola in Yuma. Great size but not fat in any way. I don't even know if he plays football, but he should . A great athlete with a nasty streak and he likes Arizona.

Madden said when he wanted great linebackers or linemen, he always looked for the wrestlers.

Posting here hoping that somebody takes a look at this kid.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Woulsnt be surprised if some of our DBs grad transferred over to follow Meat.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

MrBug708 wrote:Woulsnt be surprised if some of our DBs grad transferred over to follow Meat.
Like who?
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

The DB's who are transferring are:
Denzel Fisher
Octavious Spencer
Will Lockett
DeChaun Holliday (bulked up to play in Mora's scheme, also got a bad injury)
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

MrBug708 wrote:The DB's who are transferring are:
Denzel Fisher
Octavious Spencer
Will Lockett
DeChaun Holliday (bulked up to play in Mora's scheme, also got a bad injury)
Wow, that many? Any of them good?
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Maybe some starter quality there but I doubt any are All PAC 12 quality
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Salunga is good.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

Formerly Lynx Rufus.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

The problems up north (where ASU still sucks) has brought up this issue, but I wanted to include it here because of the possibility of it being used at Arizona.

No secret that when a player retires medically from football he can stay in school on scholarship, but he doesn't count against the team's scholarship numbers. I was shocked by this rule that was brought up by given Edwards an open mike:
So, a new coach can dump scholarship players before fall camp and free up scholarships.

Anyone ever hear of this actually being done outside of encouraging kids to leave?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Here you go:
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Merkin wrote:Here you go:
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Cornerback
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

QB Gunnell to UofA per esuckspn
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

RichardCranium wrote:QB Gunnell to UofA per esuckspn
He committed back in June.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Former 4* LB, Addison Gumbs, is transferring from Oklahoma. His brother plays for Arizona so it might be something to watch for, though most rumors have him back on California
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

MrBug708 wrote:Former 4* LB, Addison Gumbs, is transferring from Oklahoma. His brother plays for Arizona so it might be something to watch for, though most rumors have him back on California
Caught a whiff of that yesterday. He's coming off a knee injury this year, and his brother is a RS Junior. In theory they have a year to play together if that's the way it works out. Not to mention we need his skill set badly :lol:
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Grant Gunnel is playing on ESPNU right now.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion