2016 Previews and Predictions

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ANGCatFan

2016 Previews and Predictions

Post by ANGCatFan »

2016 Previews are starting to come out. Some will be well done, many will be generic, but here is a place to collect them.

Athlon Sports: Arizona Wildcats 2016 Preview and Prediction

National Rank: 50
PAC12 South Rank: 5
Final Analysis
Rodriguez’s decision to start over on defense, with an entirely new staff and system, suggests the Wildcats will struggle to avoid their first losing season since 2011. Arizona’s only all-conference player in 2015 was a punter. This year’s club might not have any all-conference players. The defense lacks a go-to player and is undersized based on Pac-12 standards. Much spins on whether Solomon will be healthy enough to start every week, or if the Wildcats will have to start over at quarterback, as they are doing on defense.
Sports Chat Place: Arizona Wildcats 2016 College Football Preview
Outlook: The outlook for Arizona has been the same it’s been over the last few years. We know the Wildcats are going to be fun to watch offensively and points will be included. The question is can Arizona string together stops defensively? Arizona has ranked 10th the last two seasons in total defense. Improve defensively and Arizona is a Pac-12 title contender. Continue to struggle defensively and Arizona is another cute team that wins seven or eight games. We’ll see.
azcat49

Re: 2016 Previews and Predictions

Post by azcat49 »

So they think ASSU will place above us with a non experienced QB and a tougher road schedule than us. comical IMO
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

With a bottom 10 in the nation defense last year, how can they not improve no matter what scheme is used?

There are many who think Dawkins is a better QB than Anu anyway, so it's not like they are completely starting over at QB if Anu gets hurt as expected.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

collegefootballnews released their Pac 12 week 1 way too early predictions yesterday

Friday, August 26

Hawai’i vs. California

10:00 PM TBS ANZ Stadium, Sydney, NSW

Where do you go if you’re Hawai’i and you want to play a game somewhere more exotic? How about kicking off the 2016 college football season in Australia? The Nick Rolovich era will start out with a bump, but Cal is rebuilding on both sides of the ball. This will be a strange game with a weird feel for both teams, but unfortunately it’s not going to be the wild shootout from both sides. The Hawai’i secondary needs way too much help.

Line: No Line
June Prediction: California 45, Hawai’i 23

Thursday, September 1

Southern Utah at Utah

8 PM Pac-12 Rice-Eccles Stadium, Salt Lake City, UT

Southern Utah was really, really close to having a phenomenal 2015 season. The Thunderbirds got pasted by South Dakota State, but their three other losses came by a combined seven points. The defense that was so fantastic at times will take a step back, but this should still be a decent team as the year progresses. That’ll all come after getting crushed by a Utah team that won’t be caught looking ahead to the Holy War against BYU.

June Prediction: Utah 34, Southern Utah 10

Oregon State at Minnesota

9:00 PM BTN TCF Bank Stadium, Minneapolis, MN

Minnesota struggled way too much in the first part of last season, and it might have to do some retooling on both lines. However, quarterback Mitch Leidner and the rest of the offense should crank up just enough production at home to pull this off if – and it’s a big if – the Oregon State spread offense doesn’t get into a groove. Gary Andersen had a rough first season in Corvallis, but his defenses are usually way too good to have two bad years in a row. The Beavers will play well, but they’ll stall just enough and fall short.

Line: Minnesota -10
June Prediction: Minnesota 27, Oregon State 24

Friday, September 2

Kansas State at Stanford

8:00 PM FS1 Stanford Stadium, Stanford, CA

Kansas State’s defense is going to be a killer. If not the best in the Big 12, it’ll be in the top three. Expect a unit that will control games and keep the scores low. Stanford will rebuild and reload, but it has a lot of retooling to do in order to get anywhere near the level it was at the end of last season. There’s not enough of a scoring punch for Kansas State to come up with an upset, but it’ll keep the game close enough to make this interesting.

Line: Stanford -15.5
June Prediction: Stanford 24, Kansas State 20

Colorado State vs. Colorado

8:00 PM ESPN Sports Authority Field, Denver, CO

Why is Colorado getting so much love here? The Buffaloes might be stronger than they’ve been in years, but this is always a heated rivalry game. Moreover, Colorado State just isn’t that bad. The Buffs whacked the Rams, 41-27, in the 2013 opener, but this should be relatively tight. The CSU ground game will control the clock enough to make this an entertaining 60-minute battle, with Colorado pulling it out on a late, clutch drive.

Line: Colorado -8.5
June Prediction: Colorado 31, Colorado State 27

Saturday, September 3

Eastern Washington at Washington State

8:00 PM Pac-12 Martin Stadium, Pullman, WA

Eastern Washington wasn’t up to snuff last season, but the offense was still fantastic at times. The system and fundamentals are still strong, but just five starters are back on offense. The big plus? The defense returns loaded with experience getting back nine starters with the potential to at least hold serve once in a while against the high-powered Wazzu offense. Will the Cougars both the opener against a top FCS program like they did last season against Portland State – losing 24-17? No, but unlike last year’s lid-lifter, this is going to be a fun and wild shootout.

June Prediction: Washington State 44, Eastern Washington 34

Northern Arizona at Arizona State

10:45 PM Pac-12 Sun Devil Stadium, Tempe, AZ

The Lumberjacks might have been crushed by Arizona, 77-13, last season, but they rebounded to come up with a solid winning-season. This year, NAU needs to come out hot against an Arizona State team in desperate need of a tune-up. The pressure is on the Sun Devils with Texas Tech coming up next. If the Sun Devil offense isn’t working early, it’ll be time to worry.

June Prediction: Arizona State 52, Northern Arizona 17

UC Davis at Oregon

5:00 PM Pac-12 Autzen Stadium, Eugene, OR

Uh oh. UC Davis lost several tight battles last season, and finished an ugly 2-9 with no run defense whatsoever. This year, the offense should be good enough to crank up the passing game, but the defense will have a hard time against the teams that can come up with yards in chunks. Royce Freeman should have 100 yards by halftime, but all that matters for the Ducks is getting the offense fine-tuned before facing Virginia and traveling to Nebraska.

June Prediction: Oregon 65, UC Davis 13

UCLA at Texas A&M

3:30 PM CBS Kyle Field, College Station, TX

This will be among the most intense Week 1 games. UCLA must show right away that this isn’t the usual Jim Mora team with all potential and no substance – a win in a jacked up Kyle Field atmosphere would be a tone-setter for a team not known for its toughness. But the pressure is on Kevin Sumlin and the Aggies to come up with something special after a rocky offseason. A win over the Bruins wouldn’t make everything okay, but it would quiet the storm.

Line: Texas A&M -1
June Prediction: Texas A&M 36, UCLA 31

Alabama vs. USC

8:00 PM ABC AT&T Stadium, Arlington, TX

It’s just naturally assumed that Alabama will run out, steamroll the Trojans, and come away with yet another muscle-flexing win. But USC has both the athletes and the talent to potentially shock the reloading Crimson Tide. Can the Trojan defensive front handle the power of the Bama ground attack? No, and that’ll be the undoing. Even in a loss this will be a positive for Clay Helton and USC.

Line: Alabama -10
June Prediction: Alabama 27, USC 24

Arizona vs. BYU

10:30 PM FS1 University of Phoenix Stadium, Glendale, AZ

This will fly a bit under the radar on a big first Saturday of massive games, but it should be among the weekend’s most entertaining shootouts. Arizona won’t have any semblance of a defense, and BYU will enter staring down the nation’s most brutal schedule over the next eight games. It’s Kalani Sitake’s first game as the Cougar head coach, and he’ll have to get ready for an up-and-down, last-team-with-the-ball-wins thrill ride. Take the over – whatever that ends up being.

Line: Arizona -1
June Prediction: Arizona 48, BYU 45

Rutgers at Washington

2:00 PM Pac-12 Husky Stadium, Seattle, WA

Are you a believer in Washington? Will the Huskies really be good enough to pull off the Pac-12 North title in Year 3 of the Chris Petersen experience? If they are, they need to pile drive a reworked Rutgers team under new head coach Chris Ash. The Scarlet Knights won’t be embarrassing, and will make it look close late, but they’re not going to stop Washington early on.

Line: Washington -22.5
June Prediction: Washington 41, Rutgers 20
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Looking forward to the USC/Alabama game.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Here is the preview that will have the most metrics backing it up. Bill Connelly from SB Nation looks at the Wildcats.
Yates' 2015 Boise State defense generated a havoc rate of 21.5 percent, fourth in the country. Think about the difference between 21.5 percent and 12.6 percent -- that means that on an extra 8.9 percent of plays (about one in 11), Boise State was making a tackle for loss or breaking up a pass or forcing a fumble. You think that might make a difference?

Yates wants to unleash hell, attack the ball, and force opponents to adjust before Arizona has to. The question is whether he has any horses to pull that off. Wright is gone, as is leading end Reggie Gilbert. Of the returnees listed above, only three made more than even three tackles for loss last year, and three isn't very many.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Who knew, but BYU has already had a media day. Makes sense with lots of changes for the program.
“I couldn’t have walked into a better position than I am right now,” said Detmer, going into his first year as a college coach. “Taysom and Tanner are both tremendous quarterbacks with a lot of talent. The hardest thing is determining who is going to be the guy. As we head into fall camp, we’ll give each other an equal amount of reps and then go from there. We’re not going to wait to announce anything to and try and surprise teams. We want to go in knowing who our guy is and do everything we can to support them.”
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Seems a little high for Utah. But this year it's a 3 dog race in the north and really just a ucla/usc fight in the south.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Well written Arizona preview from the Washington SB Nation site.
Predicting 2016

I don't see 2016 turning out very well for this iteration of the Arizona Wildcats. The big, glaring gap in their overall package is a defensive unit that just won't have the pieces it needs to effectively execute a newly installed 4-2-5 scheme. They lack size up front and won't have the capacity to withstand any kind of attrition. In fact, if this unit manages simply to hold serve on the 35.8 points a game it surrendered a year ago, you'd have to call that a "win."

Unfortunately, I do not believe that this offense can consistently put up 35.8 points a game against PAC-12 competition. I do believe that the offensive line might be good enough to get it done, and that there are some interesting play makers in Griffey and Wilson. I'm also experienced enough in this gig to know that RichRod's playbook, itself, is probably worth 6 points a game. The uncertainty at QB is too tough to digest. I also can't help but think that there aren't any new playmakers ready to step up if any of the vets who have already struggled with injuries get hurt again.

The schedule does provide a little bit of relief. The home opener against BYU is a departure for RichRod (who loves his early season cupcakes). However, the rest of the schedule looks manageable. Arizona misses both Oregon and Cal, two teams who could really punish that Wildcat defense. In addition, they end the season with the possibility to gain some momentum as WSU, Colorado, Oregon State, and ASU are all on the schedule.

If Arizona can get some rhythm offensively, stay relatively healthy, and find a defensive playmaker or two, they could finish the season strong. I'm just having a hard time seeing it happen. This feels like another 3-win team to me (in conference play) and one that will struggle to reach bowl eligibility.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

eh i dont necessarily disagree. we're anywhere from a 4-8 to 9-3 team this year. all depends on if the defense improves at all and if we get lucky with injuries. the offense, no matter what that guy says, will be good for 35-40+ points a game. we have few injuries and even improve to only giving up 30 points per game instead of 36 and we may be a 9-3 type team. overall i see us being 7-5 (with that final 4 game stretch helping us out...after the first 8 games we have to be prepared as a fanbase to be like 4-4 or even 3-5).

azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I think it was a terrible analysis. I think the change in scheme and philosophy bring a more aggressive defense will create more turnovers for our offense.

I don't see any uncertainty at QB. It's Anu till he gets hurt and then Dawkins has shown ge can fill in quite well. I do agree playmaker are a question mark but if Wilson stats healthy we just need to find an outside threat as Phillips and Grant will make plays in the slot.

3 wins in conference I can see mininally. 4 to me is the over under and I think this team goes 7-5 or 8-4
Last edited by azcat49 on Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
qwertyus

Post by qwertyus »

It's weird analysis, IMO.

He thinks our OL is good, which I don't think anyone has much evidence that that will be the case.

On the flip side, our QB situation is somehow terrible, even though a terrible Anu LY was able to still keep putting up points for the most part.

Plus we've got some capable backups as well.

IMO, our offense will be fine, it's our defense that worries me. How can it not be better over last year though? Which I know we said LY, but we missed Scooby. Now, we can't miss what we don't have.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Yeah the QB situation is pretty damn crystal clear. Anu is your guy until he either A. doesn't perform or B. gets hurt.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Not only is the starting QB situation clear as can be, I think Tate is legitimately going to push Dawkins for the 2 spot on the depth chart. This isn't a knock on Dawkins, who has grown a lot and is looking plenty capable, it's just that Tate has the tools to make the push. If things click for him early in camp then that's going to be something to watch.

I don't expect the defense to be a top-20 defense or anything this year. One thing I'm looking at, though, last year, as depleted as they were, they started playing a more aggressive "damn the torpedoes" approach vs. USC and Utah and that was getting some results. Kessler was sacked twice and knocked on his ass several more times; he took a beating unlike he'd taken most of the year. Against Utah they sacked Wilson four times and were in his face a lot. This year Yates is running the show, so I'd expect he's going to call much more aggressive games defensively. Does that win more games? Time will tell on that one. But at the very least the defense should be more fun to watch.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Solomon was getting a little gun shy running the ball the second half of last season due to all his injuries. You can't have a QB unable/unwilling to run in RR's offensive scheme. With a prior concussion, that has to weigh heavily on him and his family.
qwertyus wrote: IMO, our offense will be fine, it's our defense that worries me. How can it not be better over last year though?
Just the fact it can't get much worse will make it better. 114th out of 127, and that's with the cupcakes on the schedule.

New DC, new scheme, new attitude. If Yates can get these guys to get up to 70th or so, he should be DCOY.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Anyone see where Phil Steele has us? I am supposed to get my magazine in the mail this week.

He is the only preseason guy I listen to as his work is so comprehensive and typically the most accurate.

I agree on our defense being better because we cant be worse though we did lose our best DL, LB, and Safety. I think Secondary and Linebackers will be better then expected but our DL really scares me especially our DE's. Sani and Bruno should be serviceable DT's, nothing special but not bad if they stay healthy. Who even plays DE for us? We need Josh Allen to be strong right away which for a JUCO transfer who wasn't here in the spring and did not play last year seems like a major stretch.

If I have learned one thing under Rich Rod, our offense outside of 2 games will score a lot of points no matter who is playing for us it seems like. The fact he and Rod Smith made BJ Denker a decent PAC 12 QB still blows me away. I never worry about offense with Rich Rod except for those two games we seem to have every year where we cant put anything together like Stanford & Washington last year, UCLA and Oregon year before, Washington & ASU year before that, and UCLA and Oregon his first year.
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

So far Steele has #8 Washington, #10 Stanford, #15 UCLA, #25 USC, #26 Oregon, and #40 Utah.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

The hype for UW is borderline insane. How many other 7-6 teams (that needed to win their final 2 games to even go to a bowl) suddenly have top 10 ranking hype the next year? It's not like they have had Alabama style recruiting under Petersen. Their 3 classes under him average #33 in the country.

What am I missing as to why UW is getting hype as the favorite in the north and a top 10-15 team?

Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

Greg Hansen said the UofA will finish in last place in the South. He wrote this will be the worst UofA defense, even worst than during the Mackovic era.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Pac-12 Football Predictions and Schedules

North Predictions
1. Oregon
T2. Stanford
T2. Washington
T4. Oregon State
T4. Washington State
6. California

South Predictions
1. UCLA
2. USC
3. Arizona State
T4. Arizona
T4. Utah
6. Colorado

Pac-12 North Division Predictions

2016 California Golden Bears

2016 Prediction: 2-10
2016 Pac-12 Prediction: 1-8
Aug. 27 Hawaii (in Sydney, Australia) WIN
Sept. 3 OPEN DATE
Sept. 10 at San Diego State Loss
Sept. 17 Texas Loss
Sept. 24 at Arizona State Loss
Oct. 1 Utah Loss
Oct. 8 at Oregon State WIN
Oct. 15 OPEN DATE
Oct. 21 Oregon Loss
Oct. 27 at USC Loss
Nov. 5 Washington Loss
Nov. 12 at Washington State Loss
Nov. 19 Stanford Loss
Nov. 26 UCLA Loss

2016 Oregon Ducks

2016 Prediction: 10-2
2016 Pac-12 Prediction: 7-2
Sept. 3 UC Davis WIN
Sept. 10 Virginia WIN
Sept. 17 at Nebraska WIN
Sept. 24 Colorado WIN
Oct. 1 at Washington State WIN
Oct. 8 Washington WIN
Oct. 15 OPEN DATE
Oct. 21 at California WIN
Oct. 29 Arizona State WIN
Nov. 5 at USC Loss
Nov. 12 Stanford WIN
Nov. 19 at Utah Loss
Nov. 26 at Oregon State WIN

2016 Oregon State Beavers

2016 Prediction: 4-8
2016 Pac-12 Prediction: 3-6
Sept. 1 at Minnesota Loss
Sept. 10 OPEN DATE
Sept. 17 Idaho State WIN
Sept. 24 Boise State Loss
Oct. 1 at Colorado Loss
Oct. 8 California Loss
Oct. 15 Utah WIN
Oct. 22 at Washington Loss
Oct. 29 Washington State WIN
Nov. 5 at Stanford Loss
Nov. 12 at UCLA Loss
Nov. 19 Arizona WIN
Nov. 26 Oregon Loss

2016 Stanford Cardinal

2016 Prediction: 8-4
2016 Pac-12 Prediction: 6-3
Sept. 2 Kansas State WIN
Sept. 10 OPEN DATE
Sept. 17 USC WIN
Sept. 24 at UCLA Loss
Oct. 30 at Washington WIN
Oct. 8 Washington State WIN
Oct. 15 at Notre Dame Loss
Oct. 22 Colorado WIN
Oct. 29 at Arizona Loss
Nov. 5 Oregon State WIN
Nov. 12 at Oregon Loss
Nov. 19 at California WIN
Nov. 26 Rice WIN

2016 Washington Huskies

2016 Prediction: 9-3
2016 Pac-12 Prediction: 6-3
Sept. 3 Rutgers WIN
Sept. 10 Idaho WIN
Sept. 17 Portland State WIN
Sept. 24 at Arizona WIN
Sept. 30 Stanford Loss
Oct. 8 at Oregon Loss
Oct. 15 OPEN DATE
Oct. 22 Oregon State WIN
Oct. 29 at Utah Loss
Nov. 5 at California WIN
Nov. 12 USC WIN
Nov. 19 Arizona State WIN
Nov. 25 at Washington State WIN

2016 Washington State Cougars

2016 Prediction: 5-7
Sept. 3 Eastern Washington WIN
Sept. 10 at Boise State Loss
Sept. 17 Idaho WIN
Sept. 24 OPEN DATE
Oct. 1 Oregon Loss
Oct. 8 at Stanford Loss
Oct. 15 UCLA WIN
Oct. 22 at Arizona State Loss
Oct. 29 at Oregon State Loss
Nov. 5 Arizona WIN
Nov. 12 California WIN
Nov. 19 at Colorado Loss
Nov. 25 Washington Loss

Pac-12 South Division Predictions

2016 Arizona Wildcats

2016 Prediction: 7-5
2016 Pac-12 Prediction: 4-5
Sept. 3 BYU (in Glendale) WIN
Sept. 10 Grambling State WIN
Sept. 17 Hawaii WIN
Sept. 24 Washington Loss
Oct. 1 at UCLA Loss
Oct. 8 at Utah Loss
Oct. 15 USC WIN
Oct. 22 OPEN DATE
Oct. 29 Stanford WIN
Nov. 5 at Washington State Loss
Nov. 12 Colorado WIN
Nov. 19 at Oregon State Loss
Nov. 25 Arizona State WIN

2016 Arizona State Sun Devils

2016 Pac-12 Prediction: 5-4
Sept. 3 Northern Arizona WIN
Sept. 10 Texas Tech WIN
Sept. 17 at UTSA WIN
Sept. 24 California WIN
Oct. 1 at USC Loss
Oct. 8 UCLA WIN
Oct. 15 at Colorado WIN
Oct. 22 Washington State WIN
Oct. 29 at Oregon Loss
Nov. 5 OPEN DATE
Nov. 10 Utah WIN
Nov. 19 at Washington Loss
Nov. 25 at Arizona Loss

2016 Colorado Buffaloes

2016 Prediction: 5-7
Sept. 2 at Colorado State (in Denver) WIN
Sept. 10 Idaho State WIN
Sept. 17 at Michigan Loss
Sept. 24 at Oregon Loss
Oct. 1 Oregon State WIN
Oct. 8 at USC Loss
Oct. 15 Arizona State Loss
Oct. 22 at Stanford Loss
Oct. 29 OPEN DATE
Nov. 3 UCLA Loss
Nov. 12 at Arizona Loss
Nov. 19 Washington State WIN
Nov. 26 Utah WIN

2016 UCLA Bruins

2016 Prediction: 9-3
2016 Pac-12 Prediction: 5-3
Sept. 3 at Texas A&M WIN
Sept. 10 UNLV WIN
Sept. 17 at BYU WIN
Sept. 24 Stanford WIN
Oct. 1 Arizona WIN
Oct. 8 at Arizona State Loss
Oct. 15 at Washington State Loss
Oct. 22 Utah WIN
Oct. 29 OPEN DATE
Nov. 3 at Colorado WIN
Nov. 12 Oregon State WIN
Nov. 19 USC Loss
Nov. 26 at Cal WIN

2016 USC Trojans

2016 Pac-12 Prediction: 5-3
Sept. 3 Alabama (in Arlington) Loss
Sept. 10 Utah State WIN
Sept. 17 at Stanford Loss
Sept. 23 at Utah WIN
Oct. 1 Arizona State WIN
Oct. 8 Colorado WIN
Oct. 15 at Arizona Loss
Oct. 22 OPEN DATE
Oct. 27 California WIN
Nov. 5 Oregon WIN
Nov. 12 at Washington Loss
Nov. 19 at UCLA WIN
Nov. 26 Notre Dame WIN

2016 Utah Utes

2016 Prediction: 7-5
2016 Pac-12 Prediction: 4-5
Sept. 1 Southern Utah WIN
Sept. 10 BYU WIN
Sept. 17 at San Jose State WIN
Sept. 23 USC Loss
Oct. 1 at California WIN
Oct. 8 Arizona WIN
Oct. 15 at Oregon State Loss
Oct. 22 at UCLA Loss
Oct. 29 Washington WIN
Nov. 5 OPEN DATE
Nov. 10 at Arizona State Loss
Nov. 19 Oregon WIN
Nov. 26 at Colorado Loss

http://collegefootballnews.com/2016/pac ... redictions" target="_blank
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

That's at least the second time I have seen that. Why is Arizona picked to beat USC? Doesn't USC have the best OL in the PAC? RichRod has only beaten SC once, and that was in a depleted year. USC is going to run a pro style offense with 2 killer backs and the former #1 rated HS QB throwing the ball.

UA won't be able to stop USC's offense.

Oct. 15 USC WIN
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Merkin wrote:That's at least the second time I have seen that. Why is Arizona picked to beat USC? Doesn't USC have the best OL in the PAC? RichRod has only beaten SC once, and that was in a depleted year. USC is going to run a pro style offense with 2 killer backs and the former #1 rated HS QB throwing the ball.

UA won't be able to stop USC's offense.

Oct. 15 USC WIN
Maybe it's the whole "Arizona always has one upset at home" mantra and they are thinking USC is it this year.
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

I would flip USC with OSU for wins as a safer bet.
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

I should also add that hopefully that ASU/Wash game starts at 9PM. But it will probably be 11am
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Arizona beats USC and Stanford? Yikes. Alarm clock just went off and it's time for work....nice dream.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

I wouldn't rule out a win over SC, just because the new defensive staff are going to make this fall's Arizona team pretty volatile.

That means the Cats will beat, and lose to, at least one team they shouldn't.
Sid

Post by Sid »

I guess finally having hands on coaches that enjoy teaching proper technique is overrated? The fact that our players are speaking to this fact and are fired up to go to battle for new defensive staff gives me something to believe in. We have (3) very capable QB's and that is a God damn luxury that other teams would love to have. I believe we will see a substantial improvement at QB and this new defense will get a Hell of a lot of national pub as it flys around looking to punch opposing qb's in the mother fucking mouth.

Can't wait!

BTFD
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Only way UA beats USC and Furd is if the offense scores 55 points or more.

D will get there, going to take a year or more. Excited about the new DC and the new scheme, but the Cats still don't have the horses back there.

Lost their 2 best players in Scooby and Parks, besides Allah, Worthy, Gilbert, Sir Thomas, and so on, and now Turituri.

Cats also lost their very solid ST kicker and punter.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Merkin wrote:

I completely agree with those predictions.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Pac-12 media pics:

North:
1. Stanford
2. Washington
3. Oregon
4. Washington State
5. California
6. Oregon State

South:
1. UCLA
2. USC
3. Utah
4. Arizona
5. ASSu
6. Colorado

http://www.foxsports.com/arizona/story/ ... mps-071416" target="_blank
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

hey at least the media hasn't fully bitten on the UW hype and has us ahead of ASsU.

Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Irish27 wrote:Greg Hansen said the UofA will finish in last place in the South. He wrote this will be the worst UofA defense, even worst than during the Mackovic era.
On Paper we should be an absolutely terrible defense as outside of Paul Magliore I can not think of one player who would even get votes to make All Pac 12 defensive first or second team. Maybe deandre Miller but thats a reach. I can completely see why Greg would say it could be the worst defense ever and any sane logical person would think the same thing....however I think Yates earns his $500K this year and we play better on defense then expected except for a couple games where our lack of talent on the DL will come through.

I am thinking 5 & 7 is worst case for us and 7 & 5 is best case.

We need to beat BYU, lose that game and I could see it being a long season.
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I think AZ might be the best bet to cover and win on the money line in week 1
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

azcat49 wrote:I think AZ might be the best bet to cover and win on the money line in week 1

:roll:
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

chiefzona wrote:
azcat49 wrote:I think AZ might be the best bet to cover and win on the money line in week 1

As of right now Arizona is a slight favorite. Do you think otherwise?
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

azgreg wrote:
chiefzona wrote:

As of right now Arizona is a slight favorite. Do you think otherwise?

Right now I think BYU wins. Hard to make predictions before camp but I do have Arizona losing the first game.
TyrantCat

Post by TyrantCat »

BYU is headed for a buzzsaw in the desert.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Good article from Arizona Sports that summarizes what all the preview mags say about Arizona.

Sporting News and Lindy's win the day because they have covers that include Anu.

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

2 have Anu has best running QB in the league, but not even 3rd team QB? Guess that's not saying much with all the pro arm guys in the PAC.

Anu may be the 3rd best running QB on the team.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Don't those magazines always have regional covers?
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

azgreg wrote:Don't those magazines always have regional covers?
Yes
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

The predictions from obscure sites are hit or miss. Most, like this guy, read the local and national guys on Arizona and give there own take without ever actually seeing the team since last year. So, with that said, here is the Arizona preview from thecomeback.com.
2 Key Stats to Pay Attention to

17.6% – The difference in third-down conversions at home instead of on the road. That’s a crazy discrepancy. The Wildcats converted just over half of their third downs while playing in Tucson. The ratio was just under 1/3 in games on the road or at neutral sites. This was not quite the biggest disparity in FBS last year, but it’s still pretty huge. College football season is short enough that some stats like this could be outliers due to low sample sizes and not particularly meaningful, but this is still probably very relevant. It speaks to either an extreme additional confidence at home or an ability to get rattled on the road–or a little bit of both. It will be interesting to see how these trends continue into 2016, if they do at all.

31 – The number of sacks Arizona gave up last year. This is not a truly awful number, especially as Arizona played 13 games, but it does put the Wildcats in the bottom third of FBS last year. The Wildcats did pretty well in passing situations, with Solomon completing over 62% of passes and throwing 20 touchdowns to just five interceptions, but the 20 sacks he suffered (other quarterbacks took 11) really hurt the offense. The offensive line needs to protect Solomon, or whoever is behind center, better this year.
5 Bold Predictions

5. Solomon will finally be a breakout star

He’s just too talented not to, honestly. Arizona will face some very good defenses this year, including during the aforementioned brutal five-game stretch. Solomon will have plenty of chances to shine. He will show us what he’s made of whether or not his team wins a lot of games.

4. Arizona will go on a five-game losing streak…

We’re expecting this team to be in our Top 35, and losing five games in the Pac 12 South can still make one a Top 35 team. The stretch from Washington to Stanford is brutal. There are very few teams in the country that would win a game during those six weeks. Arizona isn’t one of them.

3. …But the Wildcats will go bowling anyway.

I don’t know if Arizona can win that season opener over BYU, but even so a bowl should be in reach. Grambling St and Hawaii are gimme wins. Colorado and Oregon State will be the bottom of the Pac 12 and will also be pretty easy wins. Beating Washington State will be a little tougher, but Arizona should be a better team, especially after a few close losses to good teams during the brutal midseason stretch. Then it’s just down to the Duel in the Desert for a bowl berth.

2. Arizona will lead the Pac 12 in both sacks and long plays given up

Arizona is going to try a feast-or-famine defense without quite having the talent or experience to do it. This will be an exciting team to watch as the Wildcats will both generate and give up many huge plays per game. Maybe they won’t actually lead the Pac 12 in sacks or big plays given up, but it will certainly feel like it.

1. Rich Rodriguez won’t coach at Arizona in 2017

Yes, his contract still has time left on it. And yes, the buyout can be pretty steep. But Rodriguez has had a rocky relationship in Tucson and hasn’t always gotten along well with his team. Yes, he has a division win and a Fiesta Bowl berth, but after two very disappointing seasons that might not be enough. There will be enough mutual issues that, one way or another, Rodriguez won’t be coaching the Wildcats in 2017 unless this coming season is spectacular.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

But Rodriguez has had a rocky relationship in Tucson and hasn’t always gotten along well with his team.

azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Wow, quite the prediction that this is RR last year in Tucson. He made it seen we would have a 7-6 type season and we would push him out which I am sure won't happen
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Seems legit.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Good way to look at the season by AZDS - ranking the games by difficulty.
12. Grambling State Tigers
11. Hawaii Rainbow Warriors
10. Oregon State Beavers
9. Colorado Buffaloes
8. Arizona State Sun Devils
7. BYU Cougars
6. Utah Utes
5. Washington State Cougars
4. USC Trojans
3. Washington Huskies
2. UCLA Bruins
1. Stanford Cardinal
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Offensive breakout players to watch over at AZ Desert Swarm.
Every year a player seemingly comes out of nowhere to have a bigger year than expected. Last year, Johnny Jackson moved from safety back to WR and was the team’s 2nd-leading receiver. The year before, Nick Wilson broke out on the scene with 1,300 yards and 16 touchdowns as a true freshman.

I’ll take a look at five potential players who could have a breakout year for the Arizona Wildcats on offense.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Puerco

Post by Puerco »

College football season is short enough that some stats like this could be outliers due to low sample sizes and not particularly meaningful, but this is still probably very relevant.
This is the single worst sentence I've read this year.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy