Post by azgreg »

azgreg

Re: 2016 Season Thread

Post by azgreg »

From last season.

BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

Posted in the Ticket Forum, but I doubt anyone really checks over there too often.

Any suggestions on the best way to get tickets to the Utah game on October 8th? As best I can tell the Arizona athletics site doesn't appear to offer tickets to away games to the general public. It's Utah's homecoming. Slim pickings on StubHub at this point. Any recommendations are appreciated . . .
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

BearDown89 wrote:Posted in the Ticket Forum, but I doubt anyone really checks over there too often.

Any suggestions on the best way to get tickets to the Utah game on October 8th? As best I can tell the Arizona athletics site doesn't appear to offer tickets to away games to the general public. It's Utah's homecoming. Slim pickings on StubHub at this point. Any recommendations are appreciated . . .
Have you tried the Utah site?

http://www5.ticketingcentral.com/V2/Qua ... 1471383136" target="_blank

Utah Football vs. Arizona
Rice-Eccles Stadium | Sat Oct 8 2016 Time TBD
General Public Onsale: Monday, August 15, 2016 at 10:00AM

Ticket Price: Tickets start at $53.00

Select Flash Seats or E-ticket for no delivery fees
A $5.00 handling fee applies if tickets are mailed.
A $10.00 handling fee applies if tickets are placed in will call.

Additional Event Information
Children 3 & younger do not require a ticket unless they require their own seat.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Try calling 520-621-CATS.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

Merkin wrote:
BearDown89 wrote:Posted in the Ticket Forum, but I doubt anyone really checks over there too often.

Have you tried the Utah site?

http://www5.ticketingcentral.com/V2/Qua ... 1471383136" target="_blank

Utah Football vs. Arizona
Rice-Eccles Stadium | Sat Oct 8 2016 Time TBD
General Public Onsale: Monday, August 15, 2016 at 10:00AM

Ticket Price: Tickets start at $53.00

Select Flash Seats or E-ticket for no delivery fees
A $5.00 handling fee applies if tickets are mailed.
A $10.00 handling fee applies if tickets are placed in will call.

Additional Event Information
Children 3 & younger do not require a ticket unless they require their own seat.
Thanks Merk. Found that after I posted. $100 will get you a mid-level sideline seat at one end zone or the other. My buddy wants to haggle with scalpers and selling fans pre-game at Rice-Eccles. He thinks Utah fans' expectations will be tempered by then and tickets will be easier to come by. It's an easy 5-hour drive so seems like a reasonable gamble . . .
wyo-cat wrote:Try calling 520-621-CATS.
Thanks Wyo. I'll give it a try.
prh

Post by prh »

Hey BD89, just a heads up, W8 is the visitor's section at Rice-Eccles. There appear to be a ton of tickets on Stubhub there, starting at 73 (plus fees). Thanks for posting about this, I need to go get my tickets. Tell your buddy that you guys definitely want tickets in advance. We're early enough on their schedule that their fanbase will probably still have high hopes for this season.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

prh wrote:Hey BD89, just a heads up, W8 is the visitor's section at Rice-Eccles. There appear to be a ton of tickets on Stubhub there, starting at 73 (plus fees). Thanks for posting about this, I need to go get my tickets. Tell your buddy that you guys definitely want tickets in advance. We're early enough on their schedule that their fanbase will probably still have high hopes for this season.
That's what I'm thinking too. Thanks for the visitor's section.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

2016 Pac-12 preview countdown - #9 Arizona: Wildcats miss a bowl game for first time since 2011

http://www.pacifictakes.com/2016/8/17/1 ... l-game-for" target="_blank
Sid

Post by Sid »

Merkin wrote:2016 Pac-12 preview countdown - #9 Arizona: Wildcats miss a bowl game for first time since 2011

http://www.pacifictakes.com/2016/8/17/1 ... l-game-for" target="_blank

Fucking comedy!
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Arizona Wildcats 2016 season preview

http://www.espn.com/blog/pac12/post/_/i ... on-preview" target="_blank
With the 2016 season just around the corner, we begin our team previews with Arizona.

2015 record: 7-6, 3-6 (Pac-12)

2016 FPI preseason rank: 37

2016 FPI win projection: 7.2 - 4.9

Key losses: LB Scooby Wright, WR Cayleb Jones, C Cayman Bundage, DE Reggie Gilbert, DB Will Parks

Key returnees: QB Anu Solomon, RB Nick Wilson, LB Paul Magloire, WR Nate Phillips

Most important player: While Solomon is still officially locked in a QB competition with Brandon Dawkins, the Wildcats' possibilities open up greatly if Solomon can stay healthy and consistently play at the high levels he achieved his first two years as a starter. And if he doesn't hold onto his job, then insert Dawkins into this space.

Impact newcomer: Redshirt freshman Nathan Eldridge looks primed to take over at center, always a critical position but even more critical in Rich Rodriguez's up-tempo, shotgun offense.

Breakout player: While a healthy Wilson will be critical for the Wildcats' offense, sophomore Orlando Bradford, a 5-foot-9, 208-pound fire plug of a running back out of Louisiana, will give the running game a physical punch.

Position unit of strength: While losing three of your top-four receivers from the previous season sounds bad, the Wildcats were deep at receiver in 2015 and should also be this year. Nate Phillips, Samajie Grant and Trey Griffey combined for 86 receptions and seven TDs last year and the young depth behind them is promising.

Position unit of weakness: Bad luck, middling recruiting and injuries have left the Wildcats with a dearth of defensive linemen, a crew that will include more than one present or former walk-on in the rotation. New defensive coordinator Marcel Yates will need to be creative with his scheme in order to cover up for a lack of size and athletic ability.

Biggest remaining question mark: Other than whether Solomon retains his job? Well, that would be how Yates lines up his defense. He ran a base nickel at Boise State, which isn't much different from the 3-3-5 the Wildcats ran with former coordinator Jeff Casteel. Count on Yates using plenty of stunts, movement and disguises to make up for questionable personnel.

Most important game: Against Arizona State on Nov. 25. While it might feel like a cop-out to pick a rivalry game, this game almost certainly will have major bowl ramifications for both teams. It might even determine which team becomes bowl eligible as both are picked in the bottom half of the South Division. Moreover, the Territorial Cup is in Tucson and Rich Rodriguez is 1-3 against his good buddy Todd Graham.

Key stat: The Wildcats were minus-4 in turnover margin last year, tied for last in the Pac-12 with woeful Oregon State, one of just three conference teams with a negative ratio. They forced just 16 turnovers, third fewest in the conference, and gave away the ball 20 times, fifth most. For Arizona to improve, these numbers must improve -- reversing might be good.

Upset watch: Arizona opens the season in University of Phoenix Stadium in Glendale, Ariz., against BYU, a team that tends to be fairly rugged at the line of scrimmage, an Arizona question. The Cougars will be a bit of a mystery with new coach Kalani Sitake. The Wildcats, who have played a pastry-soft nonconference schedule of late, can't afford to lose an opener when the conference schedule looks so unforgiving.

Best case scenario in 2016: With seven home games and just four road dates, the Wildcats' best bet to exceeding expectations is holding serve in front of the home crowd and stealing an upset on the road. If things all go the Wildcats' way, this team could peak at nine wins, which could put them in the South race.

Worst case scenario in 2016: The only sure win on the schedule is a Week 2 visit from Grambling, though the Wildcats should also be able to handle Hawaii and will be significant road favorites at Oregon State. Yet with Colorado improving, every other game figures to be a battle for four quarters. If QB play remains questionable and an already-thin lineup is challenged by injuries, the Wildcats could tumble to 4-8 in Rodriguez's fifth season.

Prediction: 6-6. Rodriguez has long been the sort of coach who gets more from less, and this season should follow that tendency. The key to moving up in the South going forward, as Rodriguez himself says, is improved recruiting. He needs more A-list players because everyone else has them.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
FightWildcatsFight

Post by FightWildcatsFight »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

de Beer starting is very cool, what a great story.

Shun Brown over TJ?
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

True Freshman on the depth chart:

Devaughn Cooper, slot
JJ Taylor, RB, returns
Khalil Tate, QB
Chacho Ulloa, bandit
Isaiah Hayes, free safety
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Merkin wrote:de Beer starting is very cool, what a great story.

Shun Brown over TJ?
They have de Beer's favorite pizza at Bear Down Kitchen, it's bacon, avocado and banana. It's called "The de Beer." Apparently it's a popular combo in SA.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

What stands out to me is the TWO walkons in the front defensive 4...........We also have the smallest front line in the
PAC12.........We are going to be run over, literally, all year. I wonder if RRod would consider adapting to his personnel and slowing
down his offense (to keep the defense off the field as long as possible). Tomey ball may be a very good idea with this unit.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

dmjcat wrote:What stands out to me is the TWO walkons in the front defensive 4...........We also have the smallest front line in the
PAC12.........We are going to be run over, literally, all year. I wonder if RRod would consider adapting to his personnel and slowing
down his offense (to keep the defense off the field as long as possible). Tomey ball may be a very good idea with this unit.
I am nervous to play teams like USC and Stanford with big strong OL's. Our average size along our starting defensive front is like 250 LBS...I honestly would love to know the last time at Arizona it has been that small going into the year. Maybe the 80's?

There are high schools with bigger starting Defensive Linemen
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ANGCatFan wrote:True Freshman on the depth chart:

Devaughn Cooper, slot
JJ Taylor, RB, returns
Khalil Tate, QB
Chacho Ulloa, bandit
Isaiah Hayes, free safety
Didn't RR say Tate was going to redshirt? Being of course that redshirts don't happen until the season is over, you just play or you don't.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

I don't know if he said Tate was going to redshirt, but he did say that he's learning the QB spot only and isn't being looked at to play elsewhere on the field. He is on the depth chart but he's behind Werlinger. I do think he redshirts unless something goes really haywire this year. But he's a true freshman (he's only 17), he's still learning the offense and RR would probably prefer not to burn his redshirt for a few plays.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Newportcat wrote:
dmjcat wrote:What stands out to me is the TWO walkons in the front defensive 4...........We also have the smallest front line in the
I am nervous to play teams like USC and Stanford with big strong OL's. Our average size along our starting defensive front is like 250 LBS...I honestly would love to know the last time at Arizona it has been that small going into the year. Maybe the 80's?

There are high schools with bigger starting Defensive Linemen
well that's how it's always been under RR (usually). There have been exceptions to the rule (beating USC in 2012 and losing to Oregon a couple times), but generally we are better able to handle spread style fast paced offenses and struggle with the big pro style people like USC and Stanford.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Looks to me like these moves were made to deconflict numbers on special teams.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Purplehaze206

Post by Purplehaze206 »

Was the 600th win in the battleship uniforms?
card4evermore wrote:
I'd feel better about our chances if Romar was coaching the Dawgs.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Purplehaze206 wrote:Was the 600th win in the battleship uniforms?
I believe so.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Purplehaze206 wrote:Was the 600th win in the battleship uniforms?
It was. Freaking love that set.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Used to be if you traveled to Hawaii the NCAA would give you an extra game.

That would make a nice return trip, and bring the same uniforms. Get an easy W, and an extra game to go along with it.

But then again, that would give up your bye week.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Merkin wrote:Used to be if you traveled to Hawaii the NCAA would give you an extra game.

That would make a nice return trip, and bring the same uniforms. Get an easy W, and an extra game to go along with it.

But then again, that would give up your bye week.
It still is. We can't take advantage of it until we go there in 2019.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Yep, I believe Rado played 13 reg season games last year.
TheGreatCatsby

Post by TheGreatCatsby »

Did anyone find it odd that Anu was sitting back behind the bench all alone during the game? A couple times Dawkins went and razzed him (probably subtely telling Anu he's taking his job), but Anu just stayed back there. Seemed he'd be better off joining his teammates on the sidelines or even sitting on the bench, not a chair on the back wall. Any impressions on that, or was he like told to sit back there or something?
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

Didnt find it odd at all for someone who has an injured knee. I would rather see him off the leg than hobbling around on the sidelines like he was when he had that brace on. Mountains out of mole hills IMO Not to mention you have no idea what the coaching staff told him to do, so....
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

whatisee wrote:Didnt find it odd at all for someone who has an injured knee. I would rather see him off the leg than hobbling around on the sidelines like he was when he had that brace on. Mountains out of mole hills IMO Not to mention you have no idea what the coaching staff told him to do, so....
It's not that he was sitting down, it's that he was sitting down in a corner by himself frowning and not interacting with the team at all. Seemed totally checked out.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

RichRod said he wasn't doing much at practice, so I expect more sulking v. UDub.

Go Dawkins!
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Go Dawkins!
Sid

Post by Sid »

Merkin wrote:RichRod said he wasn't doing much at practice, so I expect more sulking v. UDub.

Go Dawkins!
Go Dawkins and JJ Motherfucking Taylor!!!

;)
Purplehaze206

Post by Purplehaze206 »

Dawkins is hands down my favorite evolutionary biologist. By the way, wtf does 'hands down' mean?
card4evermore wrote:
I'd feel better about our chances if Romar was coaching the Dawgs.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Go whoever is the Wildcats QB this Saturday.

Get my point?
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
Sid

Post by Sid »

quote="carcassdragger"]Go whoever is the Wildcats QB this Saturday.

Get my point?[/quote]

Love the kid, but it's over.......time to embrace the changing of the guard!
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

If Arizona could have recruited a dlineman over the last 2-3!years, I think Arizona could be 4-0.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

We're not as bad as we thought we were, but damn I wish we were bigger up front.
BMalo

Post by BMalo »

JJ Taylor broke his ankle. Nick Wilson hopeful for next week per RR.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

So JJ done for the year?
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
BMalo

Post by BMalo »

Very likely. I believe RR said he's looking towards 2017. 6-8 week recovery but I'm only a doctor when I'm drunk.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

JJ should be able to get a medical redshirt.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

A third of the way into 2016 and here's something that's jumped off the stat sheet: Arizona has 3 passing TDs this year. They had 27 last year and 29 in '14. They've gotten into the end zone via the run 13 times this year. Dawkins has seven of those. Wilson has three. The lowest passing TD total since RR has been here was 16 in 2013. If Wilson stays healthy after he returns - a very big if there - this could be a West Virginia type of offense.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

How weird is it that I'm pissed we don't play Oregon this year?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Chicat wrote:How weird is it that I'm pissed we don't play Oregon this year?
You ain't the only one.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

no shit. I wish. We'd actually have a chance still.