Pre Snap Read - #82 Nevada

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

dc4azcats

Pre Snap Read - #82 Nevada

Post by dc4azcats »

I knew Nevada struggled on D which was why Ault was let go after our bowl win 2 years ago. Apparently it didn't get any better last season as they fired their DC after one season. Not sure if Nevada fans consider it good news or bad news that they return 10 starters from LY's D?

In a nutshell: It's difficult to get on board when there's this defense, a group that must prove itself against spread-based and run-heavy teams in order to lift Nevada back into the postseason. As mentioned earlier, it's on Boone to deliver: Nevada made a quick change at coordinator for a reason, to provide an immediate and rapid boost, but Boone has been handed largely the same personnel that doomed his one-and-done predecessor. Boiled down to its most basic level, how well Boone relates to his incumbent two-deep will determine whether Nevada rediscovers its winning ways. How Nevada's defense rebounds – or if it rebounds – is one of the defining storylines of the 2014 Mountain West season.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nc ... /10279097/
Sage&Silver

Re: Pre Snap Read - #82 Nevada

Post by Sage&Silver »

Coach Ault was let go? Absurd. The guy was almost 70, had a 133–53 conference record and was only two years removed from a top-15 finish. You say fired, I say retired.
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

Sage&Silver wrote:Coach Ault was let go? Absurd. The guy was almost 70, had a 133–53 conference record and was only two years removed from a top-15 finish. You say fired, I say retired.
He wanted to keep coaching and they asked him to step down. Call it what you want. If Nevada wins that bowl game he's probably still coaching. They didn't and he's not.
Sage&Silver

Post by Sage&Silver »

I assume you know what your talking about. I thought he announced his retirement before the game, but I'm not so confident now. Still doesn't add up, Nevada wasn't stepping up to a big conference or anything. The firing seems very very odd.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

pretty sure they let him retire to save everyone the embarrassment of firing him/pushing him out.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

Sage&Silver wrote:I assume you know what your talking about. I thought he announced his retirement before the game, but I'm not so confident now. Still doesn't add up, Nevada wasn't stepping up to a big conference or anything. The firing seems very very odd.
You can't give up 14 points in a minute and change at the end of a bowl game and expect to keep your job. It wasn't the only embarrassing loss either that year. They led an average SDSU team by 10 with 7 mins left and ended up losing by 3 in regulation. The capper from what was written was that Nevada hadn't beaten a team with a winning record the last 2 years ('11 and '12).

The guy was Nevada football. He invented the Pistol offense, was the rare guy who was in the HOF while still a coach (deservedly so btw) but fans wanted some new blood. I don't disagree with you as I don't see how you replace Ault with somebody better? Much like Snyder at K-State, Ault is probably the best they will ever have had.