cordera89

Very Sad Article for AZ Fan.

Post by cordera89 »

Has anyone read this article yet.

http://www.azdesertswarm.com/2016/10/25 ... r-football" target="_blank
Merkin

Re: Very Sad Article for AZ Fan.

Post by Merkin »

Telling quote and was wondering the same thing last year.

We won't have to worry about another offseason flirtation with an East coast program. No self-respecting AD would touch him after his last two seasons. That ship has sailed for Rodriguez.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Completely nailed it. Rich Rodriguez played the system for every dollar he could get out of it, and regardless of next year's results, Byrne needs to show him the door afterwards before things get ugly.

Anyone willing to weigh in on whether or not GB's guy (Mullen) would've done any better?
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

Can't argue with much in that article as it fairly well summarizes how I feel at this point. I'd also say that it's a fair synopsis of just about every complaint from every poster on all the boards I read (BDW, Scout Premium and WSR), with the exception of the few remaining Pollyannas who hammer the injury excuse and don't like it when anyone posts anything negative or critical.

The really interesting part, however, is that "gdaurio" is a former poster on Scout Premium. He got booted or was asked to leave by Jason, or whatever it was that happened. He was hyper-confrontational and argumentative with everyone, and turned every thread into a shit show. Seems like he's still following along though . . . Not sure there's an original thought in that article, but, nonetheless, it's on point.
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

Sometimes the truth hurts.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I'm right there with the article and I've been stating these criticisms since after the BYU game.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Merkin wrote:Telling quote and was wondering the same thing last year.

We won't have to worry about another offseason flirtation with an East coast program. No self-respecting AD would touch him after his last two seasons. That ship has sailed for Rodriguez.
How about this one.
Turning Arizona into a legitimate football school isn't going to happen overnight. It is going to require a young coach hungry to prove himself and willing to become a part of the local community.
Sounds familiar. Anybody hear of a guy named Sean Miller?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azgreg wrote: Sounds familiar. Anybody hear of a guy named Sean Miller?
That is a very sound model. Get a young successful head coach from a smaller school, and bring them in.

But no coach that has ever been fired as HC. Did not work with Mackovoc, and doesn't seem to be working with RichRod.

No coach that has never been a head coach. Did not work with Stoops.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

P.J. Fleck. Almost 36, in his 4th year as coach at Western Michigan. was 1-11 his first season, then 8-5, 8-5 and now is 8-0 with having his team in the top 25 and in contention for a new year's 6 bowl.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

The football equivalent of a young Sean Miller would not take the Arizona gig.

The blog was a nice synopsis of Harvey's posts, basically. No new content, a gratuitous mention of a 'spike' in off the field incidents with no statistics to back it up (I call bullshit on 'spike'), and no real solution offered to fix the problem. Quite frankly, I'm sick of hearing about the problems we all know about. You're going to put a blog out there, the bring us a damned solution.

And then the comments section... What a joke. The dude took some legit criticism of his piece and let it degenerate into posting rival definitions of 'strawman'. What a twat. But he's from Philly, so maybe that explains things.
Last edited by Puerco on Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

ASUHATER! wrote:P.J. Fleck. Almost 36, in his 4th year as coach at Western Michigan. was 1-11 his first season, then 8-5, 8-5 and now is 8-0 with having his team in the top 25 and in contention for a new year's 6 bowl.
Well done, Hater! Something we finally agree on. :D I've noticed P.J. Fleck too - a buddy and I were discussing him just a couple of weeks ago while watching the last dismal outing against USC. I'm in the young, hungry, unknown, up and coming camp myself.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

I disagree with several points in this article. Player development: Will Parks sure improved here. So did Scooby. I think Nate and Trey have a shot at going further after this year.

I certainly do agree with what was said about recruitment, but the problem certainly is compounded by injuries. Still, we've got some very good RR recruits (Alsedek, Anu, Tate, Wilson, Taylor, Eletise)

It's a down year and we pretty much suck. RR has made some changes, has a good staff of coaches and recruiters on board, and I think next year will be much better. We certainly have much cause for concern, but like most have already said, next year will tell the tale of whether RR should stay or go.

We've got a really good opponent coming to town. Hoping we come back stronger after this break. RR is a winner and I'm thinking brighter days ahead.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

carcassdragger wrote:I disagree with several points in this article. Player development: Will Parks sure improved here. So did Scooby.
I'll see your Parks and Scooby and raise you a Cobb and a Ware . . .

I think Scooby was good on his own. I think RR's player development track records sucks - going back to Michigan. Exhibit A for solid player development is Chris Petersen.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

BearDown89 wrote:
carcassdragger wrote:I disagree with several points in this article. Player development: Will Parks sure improved here. So did Scooby.

I think Scooby was good on his own. I think RR's player development track records sucks - going back to Michigan. Exhibit A for solid player development is Chris Petersen.
Anu Solomon on offense, Devonte Neal on defense.

Solomon's lack of development as QB only compares to Ortege Jenkins.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I agree with the up and coming young head coach angle. I have a hard time seeing where someone like PJ Fleck would come here though. Maybe, but who knows. We aren't a high enough program to get the BEST up and coming guys.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

scumdevils86 wrote:I agree with the up and coming young head coach angle. I have a hard time seeing where someone like PJ Fleck would come here though. Maybe, but who knows. We aren't a high enough program to get the BEST up and coming guys.
That's why a guy like Greg Byrne is paid like he is. It's his job to sell the program on those guys.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

Merkin wrote:
BearDown89 wrote:

Anu Solomon on offense, Devonte Neal on defense.

Solomon's lack of development as QB only compares to Ortege Jenkins.
Indeed, Neal anywhere on the field. He couldn't catch a pass on offense and he had one punt return for 6 against WSU a while back. Cam Denson was supposed to be a big deal too - he's starting to catch some passes I guess. He's a junior and should be contributing by now.
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

RR Resume last 7.5 years in Power Five Michigan and UA. 96 games evaluation.

Overall: 50-46
Conference: 24-39
1 season with a conference winning record
Best year ranking for defense: 62nd Total - 39th Scoring (next best 77th)
1-6 versus Rival

At Michigan he many times stated if he were given another year the program would have turned around. He'll get that to demonstrate that here. It's been a reverse trajectory here which complicates it for him
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

BearDown89 wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:P.J. Fleck. Almost 36, in his 4th year as coach at Western Michigan. was 1-11 his first season, then 8-5, 8-5 and now is 8-0 with having his team in the top 25 and in contention for a new year's 6 bowl.
Well done, Hater! Something we finally agree on. :D I've noticed P.J. Fleck too - a buddy and I were discussing him just a couple of weeks ago while watching the last dismal outing against USC. I'm in the young, hungry, unknown, up and coming camp myself.
PJ Fleck is going to a Big Ten School after this season.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Same with the Houston coach going to Texas.

Tough to compete with those schools, when the UA is generally a dead end job since post Larry Smith days.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Merkin wrote:Same with the Houston coach going to Texas.

Tough to compete with those schools, when the UA is generally a dead end job since post Larry Smith days.
It doesn't have to be. Arizona basketball was a dead end job at one time as well. It's just time for Byrne to earn his paycheck again.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

cordera89 wrote:
BearDown89 wrote:
PJ Fleck is going to a Big Ten School after this season.
Only big 10 schools that may be opentitled are Purdue and maybe Indiana/Rutgers/Maryland. Purdue is already open so I can see him going there

prh

Post by prh »

scumdevils86 wrote:I agree with the up and coming young head coach angle. I have a hard time seeing where someone like PJ Fleck would come here though. Maybe, but who knows. We aren't a high enough program to get the BEST up and coming guys.
Do we need to be enough to get the BEST though? The absolute best right now is Tom Herman, and he's linked to Texas. Assuming LSU goes with a more established person (as the SEC seems to do), then there's not really any top tier program looking for an up and coming coach. Oregon is in an odd spot, as they should dump Helfrich, but their last external hire was 40 years ago, and they don't seem ready to dump him.

Getting to the idea that Fleck is going to a Big10 school, I don't see why that's a definite. If we're only comparing Arizona vs the potential open B10 jobs, we have Purdue for sure and possibly Indiana/Rutgers/Maryland (thanks Hater). If my choices are competing against the P12 South and Michigan/tOSU/MSU every year, I think I'd definitely take the south. It's clear that there's a much more feasible path to the top here (this year proves it). That eliminates the trio besides Purdue.

Purdue has an easier division, and is probably equivalent to the South in terms of winnability, but I wouldn't consider Purdue a better program than UA. I would expect it to be easier to recruit to UA (weather/"scenery"/etc). Outside of a period with Drew Brees, they haven't really done anything at a national level. Yes, they have a head start on trying to get Fleck, but I don't believe they are a better destination for him. And I'd put my money on Greg Byrne going up against any other school.

And to those who are hoping that we hire an up and comer instead of a retread, take hope in the JJ and some of the other recent hires that GB has made.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Just that Fleck is a born and raised midwestern guy. Easier to maintain those recruiting connections than completely start over out west.

Biographical details
Born November 29, 1980 (age 35)
Sugar Grove, Illinois
Alma mater Northern Illinois
Playing career
1999–2003 Northern Illinois
2004–2005 San Francisco 49ers
Position(s) Wide receiver
Coaching career (HC unless noted)
2006 Ohio State (GA)
2007–2008 Northern Illinois (WR)
2009 Northern Illinois (WR/RC)
2010–2011 Rutgers (WR)
2012 Tampa Bay Buccaneers (WR)
2013–present Western Michigan

Not that it can't be done if you have the motivation to recruit, unlike RichRod/Casteel.

Although I grew up only 20 miles away from WMU. The whole weather and south central MI area sucks in general.

Look at Sean Miller, hated the east coast weather, but Miller is a recruiter.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Perfectly sums up our situation. Man RR has mucked this up and he was beating down doors to get out of Dodge.

Give it to Yates. I think that guy has huge potential as a head coach. Keep the offensive philosophy and hire a good OC (heck keep both Rod Smith and McGee) and lets go to work.

Going to be very interesting this weekend what kind of reception this game receives. 45K maybe?
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

crazy to think that head coaches in FBS now aren't all that much older than me
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

azcat49 wrote:Perfectly sums up our situation. Man RR has mucked this up and he was beating down doors to get out of Dodge.

Give it to Yates. I think that guy has huge potential as a head coach. Keep the offensive philosophy and hire a good OC (heck keep both Rod Smith and McGee) and lets go to work.

Going to be very interesting this weekend what kind of reception this game receives. 45K maybe?
I'm not sure what Yates has done other than show he will play his DB's 10 yards off the receiver on 3rd and short.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Can't argue with that but I do think we are much more aggressive and our corners just simply can't cover and are not PAC 12 worthy guys. That or we just can't get enough pressure so we an't press with any confidence.

I think this is more a talent issue then a scheme issue and I give Yates high marks based upon the scheme . I do think it was more of a knee jerk post for my distaste of the job RR has done
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
jimson

Post by jimson »

Sorry, but I think the guy who wrote that article is a colossal prick. First of all he proclaims it a certainty that the Cats go 2-10 this year. Possible, but not at all assured. I don't fire a guy who has 4 out of 5 winning seasons and a division championship regardless of how lucky he was to win 'it. The clock is ticking next year, not this one, so that asshole Daurio can go get fucked.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

jimson wrote:Sorry, but I think the guy who wrote that article is a colossal prick. First of all he proclaims it a certainty that the Cats go 2-10 this year. Possible, but not at all assured. I don't fire a guy who has 4 out of 5 winning seasons and a division championship regardless of how lucky he was to win 'it. The clock is ticking next year, not this one, so that asshole Daurio can go get fucked.
as long as you're happy with this season
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Puerco wrote:The football equivalent of a young Sean Miller would not take the Arizona gig.

The blog was a nice synopsis of Harvey's posts, basically. No new content, a gratuitous mention of a 'spike' in off the field incidents with no statistics to back it up (I call bullshit on 'spike'), and no real solution offered to fix the problem. Quite frankly, I'm sick of hearing about the problems we all know about. You're going to put a blog out there, the bring us a damned solution.

And then the comments section... What a joke. The dude took some legit criticism of his piece and let it degenerate into posting rival definitions of 'strawman'. What a twat. But he's from Philly, so maybe that explains things.
Hah... maybe I should ask that guy for some royalties!

I agree with Puerco's commentary RE: spike in off-field incidents; there does not seem to be noticeably more than in years' past. Although it does seem we have had a disproportionate number of players leave the program, but that could be recency bias.

As for solutions... the only thing we can do is to hope things improve, because no way is a change considered before next season because of the expense involved. The solution is to recruit better and win; it's on the coaches to figure out - they are paid a small fortune to do it.

A longer term solution is suggested if a change is eventually made. "Young & Hungry" sounds great and it can certainly work; there are a lot of times when it also fails. The only "sure thing" is a Harbaugh, Saban, Mayer, etc. - and they are not walking through that door.

One thing is for sure... a retread coming off a failed stop is not the right recipe. That has been proven plenty of times - and the divine inspiration of "3 & Out" notwithstanding, that is what we got when we hired 2 of our last 3 FB coaches. Has it ever worked? I cannot think of one.
Last edited by Harvey Specter on Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

jimson wrote:Sorry, but I think the guy who wrote that article is a colossal prick. First of all he proclaims it a certainty that the Cats go 2-10 this year. Possible, but not at all assured. I don't fire a guy who has 4 out of 5 winning seasons and a division championship regardless of how lucky he was to win 'it. The clock is ticking next year, not this one, so that asshole Daurio can go get fucked.
And therein lies the opposite side of the argument... those of us who disagree think way too much weight it given to winning records racked up on the backs of a cream puff schedule and losing conference records. But there is certainly room for differences of opinion.

The complaints from the current staff about the quality of the inherited roster ring awfully hollow now; where is everyone who blamed Stoops & his shitty recruiting for the nucleus that provided the best results of the current regime's tenure? The dearth of All-Conf players & draft picks are pretty telling. As for player development... 2 examples in 5 years hardly provides a compelling counter to the assertion that it is lacking.

I don't think this scheme lends itself to getting top flight talent, and in time its effectiveness has severely degraded. RR's record in BCS conference play not defendable; it is nothing short of disastrous - with one magical season in 8 tries. Rich Rod has been $tealing tens of million$ for nearly a decade now... the number of folks who dismiss his cumulative results the past 8 years as the result of conspiracy theories, bad luck, etc, is truly amazing.

As for all our inherent program disadvantages, we are staring up at the rectums of 3 programs (in UT, WSU, & CU) who have faced much more severe challenges than we have. I guess they must have been the beneficiary of all the "luck" that has mysteriously eluded us.

Adding insult to injury... we may not be the prettiest girl at the dance, but we sure aren't the ugliest, and our date is not exactly Brad Pitt. His wandering eye whenever he gets a passing glance from another girl who has a full head of teeth is awfully disenchanting.

Where are all those who put so much weight into his gratuitous declaration that he wanted to retire here at his opening presser? Does ANYBODY still believe that?
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Harvey Specter wrote:
And therein lies the opposite side of the argument... those of us who disagree think way too much weight it given to winning records racked up on the backs of a cream puff schedule and losing conference records. But there is certainly room for differences of opinion.

The complaints from the current staff about the quality of the inherited roster ring awfully hollow now; where is everyone who blamed Stoops & his shitty recruiting for the nucleus that provided the best results of the current regime's tenure? The dearth of All-Conf players & draft picks are pretty telling. As for player development... 2 examples in 5 years hardly provides a compelling counter to the assertion that it is lacking.

I don't think this scheme lends itself to getting top flight talent, and in time its effectiveness has severely degraded. RR's record in BCS conference play not defendable; it is nothing short of disastrous - with one magical season in 8 tries. Rich Rod has been $tealing tens of million$ for nearly a decade now... the number of folks who dismiss his cumulative results the past 8 years as the result of conspiracy theories, bad luck, etc, is truly amazing.

As for all our inherent program disadvantages, we are staring up at the rectums of 3 programs (in UT, WSU, & CU) who have faced much more severe challenges than we have. I guess they must have been the beneficiary of all the "luck" that has mysteriously eluded us.

Adding insult to injury... we may not be the prettiest girl at the dance, but we sure aren't the ugliest, and our date is not exactly Brad Pitt. His wandering eye whenever he gets a passing glance from another girl who has a full head of teeth is awfully disenchanting.

Where are all those who put so much weight into his gratuitous declaration that he wanted to retire here at his opening presser? Does ANYBODY still believe that?
I still think at some point he will retire at Arizona as HC. But given that fact that his flirtation with others schools and they way 2015 season ended in disappointment and shake up in the defensive staff. I don't think the next 3 or 4 year if he lucky still be the coach of UA. Next season he just rebound from two injury prone season and do better job in recruiting.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

cordera89 wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:

I still think at some point he will retire at Arizona as HC. But given that fact that his flirtation with others schools and they way 2015 season ended in disappointment and shake up in the defensive staff. I don't think the next 3 or 4 year if he lucky still be the coach of UA. Next season he just rebound from two injury prone season and do better job in recruiting.
I think there is a decent chance that he retires when his time in Tucson is done, but if were to end up being a 'forced' end to his tenure - then I do not think that exactly qualifies as a fulfillment of his 'promise'. He'd be gone already if he's had the opportunity... which would have been his right - but the lectures from all his sycophants who said that 'commitment' was 100% sincere would have blown the QB in high school if he told them he thought they were handsome.

If he does not turn things around, he will be severely damaged goods and no program that he would think about considering will give him so much as a passing glance. Turn things around next season and beyond and he might be given the chance to jump ship to another BCS Conference program. I hope he does have that opportunity, because it will mean he have done something positive here.
Last edited by Harvey Specter on Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

What is an acceptable next season for RR? That's where the discussion can go. It helps if he can get a win or two this year to build momentum for a crucial next season. An ASSU win the best option. If he just won that game alone this year. It would relieve some offseason pressure and rebuild some fan hope.

I think most all of us agree RR will be here next season. What's an acceptable season to satisfy progress in the program? Team won't be lights out good next year. Should be "better" than this year. What's a realistic fan expectation for many fans want to keep RR here? Can't realistically expect RR to win the South next year. I guess somewhere in the middle of Winning the South and going 1-8 or 2-7 in the PAC... Is it 3 conference wins?
BMalo

Post by BMalo »

I'm certainly not a defender of RR and am very critical of him right now. That said, I understand he isn't going anywhere this year. If we lose to asu again, regardless if we pick up a win or two elsewhere, I expect him to be going into conference play undefeated and winning a game on the road in LA at minimum to keep him throughout next year. I don't think that will happen so if we are sub .500 by midseason I look forward to the Coaching Search thread.
jimson

Post by jimson »

scumdevils86 wrote:
I'm not, but we aren't enough of a program that we get to fire a coach for his first losing season. Next year I might be on board.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:What is an acceptable next season for RR? That's where the discussion can go. It helps if he can get a win or two this year to build momentum for a crucial next season. An ASSU win the best option. If he just won that game alone this year. It would relieve some offseason pressure and rebuild some fan hope.

I think most all of us agree RR will be here next season. What's an acceptable season to satisfy progress in the program? Team won't be lights out good next year. Should be "better" than this year. What's a realistic fan expectation for many fans want to keep RR here? Can't realistically expect RR to win the South next year. I guess somewhere in the middle of Winning the South and going 1-8 or 2-7 in the PAC... Is it 3 conference wins?
For me next year it's 7-5 or bust. Anything approaching a losing season or .500 is grounds for firing. If we start off 2-4 or 2-5 again...I'd fire him mid season.

cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

BMalo wrote:I'm certainly not a defender of RR and am very critical of him right now. That said, I understand he isn't going anywhere this year. If we lose to asu again, regardless if we pick up a win or two elsewhere, I expect him to be going into conference play undefeated and winning a game on the road in LA at minimum to keep him throughout next year. I don't think that will happen so if we are sub .500 by midseason I look forward to the Coaching Search thread.
It very simple, somewhere between that line RR need to keep it honest, 6,7,8 wins at best.
Now winning games against LA schools and ASU are not going to be guarantee.
Did everyone forget we play Houston in Arizona next season. And that Non Conference game. You better Guarantee that Herman is not the coach.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

ASUHATER! wrote:
RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:What is an acceptable next season for RR? That's where the discussion can go. It helps if he can get a win or two this year to build momentum for a crucial next season. An ASSU win the best option. If he just won that game alone this year. It would relieve some offseason pressure and rebuild some fan hope.

For me next year it's 7-5 or bust. Anything approaching a losing season or .500 is grounds for firing. If we start off 2-4 or 2-5 again...I'd fire him mid season.
Are you sure it will be 6-6 or 7-5 at best. You do know we play Houston next season right. So chances of a bust with either another injury riddle season or get outplay and outcoach.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

jimson wrote:
scumdevils86 wrote:
I'm not, but we aren't enough of a program that we get to fire a coach for his first losing season. Next year I might be on board.
You already on broad with the discussion.
jimson

Post by jimson »

cordera89 wrote:
jimson wrote:
scumdevils86 wrote:
Yes because I think it's right to question this staff because of the current state of the program. Doesn't mean we should pull the trigger right away.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

jimson wrote:
cordera89 wrote:
jimson wrote:
scumdevils86 wrote:
Yes because I think it's right to question this staff because of the current state of the program. Doesn't mean we should pull the trigger right away.
The sad part is we play Houston next season. How can we question the entire staff when we have a first year defensive staff with veteran offensive staff for five years. I rather wait two or three of improvement until program as a whole pulls the triggers.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

A winning record in conference (that would be 2 in 6 years) and no embarrassing OOC losses. That means 8-4, even if some of the board is petrified by the thought of playing the mighty Houston Cougars of the American Athletic Conference AT HOME.

BTW Navy and Temple currently sit atop the AAC, while UH is 3-2 in conference play.

The fact that some think we should be scared of them speaks volumes.

8-4 or bust and at least 5 conference wins. Otherwise, prepare the CBS Studio for an RR return.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

cordera89 wrote:
jimson wrote:
jimson wrote:
scumdevils86 wrote:
The sad part is we play Houston next season. How can we question the entire staff when we have a first year defensive staff with veteran offensive staff for five years. I rather wait two or three of improvement until program as a whole pulls the triggers.
So basically we should not make any change unless and until the program reaches the depths of the Mackovic era, because until then "things can always get worse".
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Do we play Houston next season?

;)
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Harvey Specter wrote: The sad part is we play Houston next season. How can we question the entire staff when we have a first year defensive staff with veteran offensive staff for five years. I rather wait two or three of improvement until program as a whole pulls the triggers.
So basically we should not make any change unless and until the program reaches the depths of the Mackovic era, because until then "things can always get worse".[/quote]

I think he's saying something like, 'Let's give the new defensive staff a chance.'
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Puerco wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote: The sad part is we play Houston next season. How can we question the entire staff when we have a first year defensive staff with veteran offensive staff for five years. I rather wait two or three of improvement until program as a whole pulls the triggers.
So basically we should not make any change unless and until the program reaches the depths of the Mackovic era, because until then "things can always get worse".
I think he's saying something like, 'Let's give the new defensive staff a chance.'[/quote]

Puerco it mostly saying we have a veteran offense staff for 5 years to new defensive staff for 1 year. I'm saying 2 to 3 years for entire staff to turn it around and not let personal agenda get the best of you.
jimson

Post by jimson »

Puerco wrote:
I think he's saying something like, 'Let's give the new defensive staff a chance.'
Pretty much.

Some may think it's too little too late, but he did take big steps to improve the situation including recruiting.

Starting over with a head coach change usually dooms a program for a few years anyway. I think the best thing to do is to see if he can turn it around next year.

If he doesn't make sufficient progress, then it may be time for a change.

You just can't be firing your coaches after one bad year. Maybe at Alabama, but not here.
Saint James

Post by Saint James »

If someone mentioned this above, forgive me. Fans are rebelling against late night and midday games (as confirmed by the ticket office). I've been a season ticket for many, many years but I'll no longer go to those games and I'm seriously thinking of not renewing my tickets on the 50 yard line. When RR went to SC he lost me as a fan. If RR isn't replaced I'm going to travel more and do other things as I say goodbye to UA football.