Who gets a Medical Redshirt?

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Footballjunkie

Who gets a Medical Redshirt?

Post by Footballjunkie »

I know its been mentioned that J.J. Taylor would get a medical Red shirt because he only played only 1 and 1/2 games but who are the other players that will get a Medical Redshirt this year?
I don't remember Nick Wilson playing in more that four games this year and really only parts of other games. When is a Medical Redshirt off the table?
I'm hoping that Nick Wilson will get an extra year. Hopefully, he will go for a Masters degree with the extra year of school
Merkin

Re: Who gets a Medical Redshirt?

Post by Merkin »

To qualify for a medical hardship waiver, it needs to meet all 4 of these:

1. Injury occurs in the first half the season
2. The injury must be season ending
3. The player cannot play in more than 30% of the games, rounded down.
4. The player could not have taken a voluntary redshirt

Wilson played in 5 games, and in the USC game which was in the second half of the season, so he won't qualify.
Footballjunkie

Post by Footballjunkie »

Thanks MerK!

I would still apply to the NCAA for an extra year of eligibility.
If I recall he only had a few snaps in the USC game.
I'm getting old because I really only remember one, or was it two, full games that he played in and just bits of others before USC?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I have seen exceptions, where a player played while hurt, who probably shouldn't have, so you never know.

I guess my question would be: Does Nick Wilson want an extra year? Dude is glass.

The basketball program asked Jawann McClellan if he wanted them to file for a medical redshirt for him, he said no, he was done. His knees were just shot.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

there are exceptions to the normal medical redshirt hardship waiver process, for example getting an added year after two season-ending injuries or illnesses, but they seem pretty rare and the determination process is hella opaque. mike thorn from illinois was granted a sixth year of eligibility and is currently playing bball but no one had any clue as to whether he'd actually get it until the decision came down. lots of subjectivity with medical documentation and rules interpretation.

also, not sure if the rules have changed recently, but i believe the ncaa only offers a certain # of added years per school (not per sport). for example, penn state had a champion-caliber wrestler some time ago who everyone thought would receive an extra year since his circumstances were very clear-cut. but in the end, he wasn't even allowed to petition for the additional eligibility because psu had already received the limit of sixth-year waivers in whatever given time period.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

and just to put a finer point on the standard medical redshirt process, i believe the ncaa has pushed implementation / determination down to the conferences -- so for whatever its worth, a player would need to work with their program to pull together the paperwork and send it to the pac for a decision, and if approved the ncaa eligibility & compliance would just check off a box and make it official.

doesn't sound like a big deal, but i was reminded of that player a few years back at oklahoma under capel who went through a similar series of injuries as ray smith but was disallowed by 'homas AD to request a medical redshirt. the AD just wanted the kid to transfer and denied the injury, also said the big 12 wouldn't grant the waiver anyway (the school also did some pretty messed up things to push him out like charging him tuition halfway through the school year, refusing to pay for surgery & rehab, deactivating his gym card, etc. - there was a real sports episode about it).

not saying this is the norm (and it looks like ray will be getting a medical exemption, instead of a hardship waiver, to keep his scholly and finish school without affecting the team's scholarship count) -- just that a player not taking a medical rs isn't always their decision alone.
Gimino

Post by Gimino »

Merkin wrote:To qualify for a medical hardship waiver, it needs to meet all 4 of these:

Wilson played in 5 games, and in the USC game which was in the second half of the season, so he won't qualify.
All true. Except the 30 percent thing is rounded UP. ... So, for football, you can play in a max of four games, none after the midpoint of the season.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Gimino wrote:
Merkin wrote:To qualify for a medical hardship waiver, it needs to meet all 4 of these:

All true. Except the 30 percent thing is rounded UP. ... So, for football, you can play in a max of four games, none after the midpoint of the season.
Thanks AG, I stand corrected.