Cornerbacks Coach/Lead Recruiter Search

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Chicat

Cornerbacks Coach/Lead Recruiter Search

Post by Chicat »

Figure we should chat here instead of cluttering the recruiting thread.

So RR has to replace Williams ASAP. Who can he conceivably get?

If we can hire Tony White this week that has to be considered a home run.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
cordera89

Re: Cornerbacks Coach/Lead Recruiter Search

Post by cordera89 »

Tony White of SDSU?

Tee Martin of USC?

Scott White of UCLA?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

White is the clear choice but why not cordero? He is all in on RR
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

azcat49 wrote:White is the clear choice but why not cordero? He is all in on RR
Is white interested of coming to Arizona if offer the position. I highly doubt it he is all in for RR at this point.
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

It's going to be tough to replace Williams with same caliber right now. Not impossible. You have the season UA had, RR still with a heavy thumb on how he wants his defense, two coordinators in their final year of contracts, No bowl game-practices, RR on the hot seat and a depth deprived roster. I'm sure Yates and Williams didn't come to UA anticipating this season. Looks like part of Yates decision was to get out of Boise.

it's just not about throwing some more money for someone to get a raise from another school. The UA environment and future outlook not optimal. Lots of headwinds. If a target that good or marketable they could hold out for a better situation knowing it will come.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I agree Razor. It would seem that of all the potential negatives, jumping onto a ship which while not currently sinking, seems to be taking on water. Why leave where you're comfortable to go coach some place where you only can get one year contracts and the coach is in the last year of his and is coming off a shit performance?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

However, if the ship gets righted, esp. on defense then when RichRod gets fired/quits, then the other teams will be looking for the bright spots on the UA staff.

UA was 115/128 this past season in total defense which is a typical Casteel 3-3-5 year. If Yates and staff can get that up the 80s or 70s than that would be quite an impressive feat.

Looking at the stats, even Cal, Oregon and ASU had worst defenses.

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/ ... team/22/p3" target="_blank
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

Chicat wrote:I agree Razor. It would seem that of all the potential negatives, jumping onto a ship which while not currently sinking, seems to be taking on water. Why leave where you're comfortable to go coach some place where you only can get one year contracts and the coach is in the last year of his and is coming off a shit performance?
Or you go to a program that is on the rise, and likely coming off a 10 win season. More money. Nebraska football. No brainer
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Merkin wrote:However, if the ship gets righted, esp. on defense then when RichRod gets fired/quits, then the other teams will be looking for the bright spots on the UA staff.

UA was 115/128 this past season in total defense which is a typical Casteel 3-3-5 year. If Yates and staff can get that up the 80s or 70s than that would be quite an impressive feat.

And also you can look at it like "if I can get kids to go to some school with no history, hundreds/thousands of miles from home, out in the middle of the desert, coming off a 3-9 season, just think what I can do for you Mr. Blue Blood".

I dinged Donte for going to Nebraska where in many ways the school's reputation recruits all on its own, so maybe that kind of thing could work in our favor. If you can recruit kids to Tucson, you can probably recruit kids to anywhere.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Chicat wrote:
Merkin wrote:However, if the ship gets righted, esp. on defense then when RichRod gets fired/quits, then the other teams will be looking for the bright spots on the UA staff.

And also you can look at it like "if I can get kids to go to some school with no history, hundreds/thousands of miles from home, out in the middle of the desert, coming off a 3-9 season, just think what I can do for you Mr. Blue Blood".

I dinged Donte for going to Nebraska where in many ways the school's reputation recruits all on its own, so maybe that kind of thing could work in our favor. If you can recruit kids to Tucson, you can probably recruit kids to anywhere.
eh Tucson isn't Pullman or Starkville, MS. There are many far harder places to recruit kids than here.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

That doesn't mean it's not hard to recruit to UA.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

No, but it's nowhere near the hardest.

cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

How does RR sell to a position coach knowing that he will only be their for one and only season?
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Chicat wrote:That doesn't mean it's not hard to recruit to UA.

It's so easy even a Stoopid idiot can do it. It's not hard. You have to have a clear and concise plan and you cannot afford to be lazy.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

cordera89 wrote:How does RR sell to a position coach knowing that he will only be their for one and only season?

They all know he is on borrowed time as well.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ASUHATER! wrote:No, but it's nowhere near the hardest.
Ok great. Thank you for establishing that. Thought that might be obvious since we're a Power 5 school in a warm climate and we're not Southern Idaho or Morgan State, but hey, gotta make it known.

So, Arizona . . . difficult to attract top talent to . . . just lost its lead recruiter right before the dead period . . . has a coach coming off a 3-9 season in the last year of his contract . . .

Yeah, I'm not sure who would want this job unless it featured a significant pay bump. We weren't paying Donte top dollar as it is, so I'm wondering if that enters the equation.

I think we should throw the bank at Tony White and include a significant title upgrade as well. Gotta give him a reason to take on the possibility that this job might not be there for him under a new regime next year.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

i agree there. i can't see why any top recruiter would want to come spend a year at a sinking ship where they'll probably be let go after 9-11 months on the job when RR gets fired.

tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

All of the above reasons are why I think they'll promote someone from within this year. If RR rights the ship they may take another look at it next year. But I don't see any sane coach leaving a stable gig to come here right now.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

tgrumpy2 wrote:All of the above reasons are why I think they'll promote someone from within this year. If RR rights the ship they may take another look at it next year. But I don't see any sane coach leaving a stable gig to come here right now.
But RR has been beating the "better recruiting" drum ever since that 8 game losing streak. He can't say, "we're doing just fine with recruiting and don't need to replace Williams with someone of his caliber", especially since it was his hiring last year which bought RR some leeway at the end of his flirtation with South Carolina.

Just to throw some names out there, what about...

Chris Vaughn - Texas
Brian Jean-Mary - Texas
Mike Elston - Notre Dame
Derek Jones - Duke
Don Pellum - Oregon
Willie Martinez - Tennessee
Kevin Curtis - Louisiana Tech
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ASUHATER! wrote:i agree there. i can't see why any top recruiter would want to come spend a year at a sinking ship where they'll probably be let go after 9-11 months on the job when RR gets fired.

Didn't seem to hurt Donte Williams. 3 years at SJSU, then 1 year at a Power 5 school with arguably their worst season in modern history, then onto an elite program.

A lot of smaller school position coaches would love to come to a Power 5 school to have that on their resume.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Same ole, Same ole you guys are expecting him to be fired regardless. He doesn't really need a home run hired on a Position coach with the same set up skill as DW. He just need to honest with a Position Coach that is willing to come in and do the job that being ask to do, regardless of his situation.
WildcatStunner

Post by WildcatStunner »

cordera89 wrote:Same ole, Same ole you guys are expecting him to be fired regardless. He doesn't really need a home run hired on a Position coach with the same set up skill as DW. He just need to honest with a Position Coach that is willing to come in and do the job that being ask to do, regardless of his situation.
He just needs someone else that loves to wallow in mediocrity. Keep banging that drum Cordera. It is loud enough that the entire forum can hear you.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Chicat wrote:
tgrumpy2 wrote:All of the above reasons are why I think they'll promote someone from within this year. If RR rights the ship they may take another look at it next year. But I don't see any sane coach leaving a stable gig to come here right now.
But RR has been beating the "better recruiting" drum ever since that 8 game losing streak. He can't say, "we're doing just fine with recruiting and don't need to replace Williams with someone of his caliber", especially since it was his hiring last year which bought RR some leeway at the end of his flirtation with South Carolina.

Chris Vaughn - Texas- No
Brian Jean-Mary - Texas-No
Mike Elston - Notre Dame- Maybe if we switch Yates to coach DB and him coach LB and make both Co DC.
Derek Jones - Duke I make him the Special Team Coach if offer that position.
Don Pellum - Oregon LB coach at best.
Willie Martinez - Tennessee Tough Call but would he leave Tennessee of the SEC.
Kevin Curtis - Louisiana Tech- Another Decent Secondary which is good.

Which one of these coach would be brave will be willing to take on Arizona challenge on One and done season. I'm surprise you didn't put Charlie Strong Name in their.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

WildcatStunner wrote:
cordera89 wrote:Same ole, Same ole you guys are expecting him to be fired regardless. He doesn't really need a home run hired on a Position coach with the same set up skill as DW. He just need to honest with a Position Coach that is willing to come in and do the job that being ask to do, regardless of his situation.
He just needs someone else that loves to wallow in mediocrity. Keep banging that drum Cordera. It is loud enough that the entire forum can hear you.
I don't think the entire forum is hearing me say RR will be fired by next season? RR was confident in the Recruiting class this season until DW left. I'm confident enough that RR will get the team improve next season? It just not loud enough for the entire forum to hear (It).
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

cordera89 wrote:
Chicat wrote:

Chris Vaughn - Texas- No
Mike Elston - Notre Dame- Maybe if we switch Yates to coach DB and him coach LB and make both Co DC.

Which one of these coach would be brave will be willing to take on Arizona challenge on One and done season. I'm surprise you didn't put Charlie Strong Name in their.
What in the fuck are you talking about? Do you have a list of names? Or are you thinking we'll just go through the season without a DBs coach?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Very few true freshmen make an immediate impact. It takes a year to learn the system and bulk up to Div I size and speed.

By that time it will be too late.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Chicat wrote:
cordera89 wrote:
Chicat wrote:

Chris Vaughn - Texas- No

What in the fuck are you talking about? Do you have a list of names? Or are you thinking we'll just go through the season without a DBs coach?
Chi stop your bitchin. I didn't say we need to go without a DB coach, The names weren't an issue. I'm saying which one of these coaches will be willing to come to Arizona under the situation that they might be here for One and Only season. What part did you not get.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

None of this barely seems to matter unless Rich Rod becomes a magician next year and sells his soul to the devil. We doubtfully would be able to coach up any new recruits in the 1 season or part of 1 season before RR and company are out on their asses. I feel like 2017 and 2018 are lost seasons well before they even start.

But hey, I'll still be watching!
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

cordera89 wrote:
Chicat wrote:
cordera89 wrote:
Chicat wrote:

Chris Vaughn - Texas- No

Chi stop your bitchin. I didn't say we need to go without a DB coach, The names weren't an issue. I'm saying which one of these coaches will be willing to come to Arizona under the situation that they might be here for One and Only season. What part did you not get.
The Charlie Strong part for one. Between you and Beachcat this entire board is becoming unreadable. Why don't you try posting substantive for once in your life.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

I don't think the thread is becoming unreadable because you keep on bitchin at me over the same ole shit. That how the it starts. If you would of just said( Hey cordera, The reason I didn't mention CS name on list of names is because I don't think we can afford him or he isn't willing to become a position coach again if offer?) and You couldn't just said that without the bitchin. I don't care, you can say what every you want, it not going to bother me one bit. Get over it.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

So you have zero opinion on any of the guys I mentioned. Great, thank you.

Personally, it would be great to get a guy from a big program that has ongoing coaching upheaval so that maybe we can flip some of their recruits.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Chi my friend, you have the patience of Job.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Chicat wrote:So you have zero opinion on any of the guys I mentioned. Great, thank you.

Personally, it would be great to get a guy from a big program that has ongoing coaching upheaval so that maybe we can flip some of their recruits.

Actually I did gave you in opinion of the guy you listed? But you ignore it.

If i was going to get a guy from a big time program to help flip some recruit to come to Arizona? I would of choose Mike Bloomgren from Stanford, Scott White from UCLA, Zach Smith from Ohio State, Bradley Dale Peveto from LSU, Tee Martin from USC, Tosh Lupoi from Alabama and the one that I said no too Brain Jean Mary from Texas?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I didn't ignore it. I didn't see you edited my post. Too busy trying to translate what you wrote.
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

cordera89 wrote:Tony White of SDSU?

Tee Martin of USC?

Scott White of UCLA?
In no world could Arizona afford Martin or White.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Chicat wrote:I didn't ignore it. I didn't see you edited my post. Too busy trying to translate what you wrote.
I highly doubt you rush judgement before you saw it. Don't translate, Just read. But i am curious to get your point on list name i mention. But sadly those names are not Cornerbacks coaches but Lead Recruiters.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

catinfl wrote:

Tee Martin of USC?

Scott White of UCLA?
I tried to pick guys who were either affordable or in situations where they either are already or soon would be looking for a job. I also only looked at DB/LB coaches.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

catinfl wrote:

Tee Martin of USC?

Scott White of UCLA?
So SDSU can outpay a power 5 conference school? Maybe we need to move to the MWC then

EDIT: maybe you meant the UCLA guy
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

Chicat wrote:

Chris Vaughn - Texas
Brian Jean-Mary - Texas
Mike Elston - Notre Dame
Derek Jones - Duke
Don Pellum - Oregon
Willie Martinez - Tennessee
Kevin Curtis - Louisiana Tech

Just be sure to tell them rent don't buy. Don't get me wrong here, I'd love to see RR turn things around. I don't want to have to start over but if he doesn't, I'm pretty sure he'll be gone next year.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

"Rent, don't buy" is good advice for any assistant coach anywhere.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

azpenguin wrote:"Rent, don't buy" is good advice for any assistant coach anywhere.
Especially any place that refuses to give out multi year contracts.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Even with a multiyear contract, odds are you're going to be moving within a few years. That's the nature of the business for an assistant.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

How many schools give multiyear contracts to position coaches? Even giving coordinators multi-year contracts is very recent to Arizona.

Assistants are always looking to move up, and don't want to be tied to a contract.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

Tee Martin of USC?

Scott White of UCLA?
Lord, won't ya buy me a Mer say deez Benz
My friends all have Porches and I must make amends
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Any chance they try to get Milton James the head coach from Augustas Hawkins to fill the spot? Dude is 28 years old and energetic and probably has some and could make some inroads in the SoCal recruiting world
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I read up a bit on Courtney Viney from Oklahoma. I definitely hope he gets a call.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Chicat wrote:I read up a bit on Courtney Viney from Oklahoma. I definitely hope he gets a call.
Do you know who RR is going to call or are we just speculating on who he should call.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

cordera89 wrote:
Chicat wrote:I read up a bit on Courtney Viney from Oklahoma. I definitely hope he gets a call.
Do you know who RR is going to call or are we just speculating on who he should call.
I know who he's going to call. In fact, I'm going to dial the phone. Hope it's not a rotary.
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

Chicat wrote:
cordera89 wrote:
I know who he's going to call. In fact, I'm going to dial the phone. Hope it's not a rotary.
Chi,

I don't know how you keep fighting the good fight. More power to you brother.

I just threw my hands up in the air a while back.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Chicat wrote:
cordera89 wrote:
You need to send a telegraph. Doesn't have a phone.