Byrne Could Be Leaving

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

UofAlum05

Re: Byrne Could Be Leaving

Post by UofAlum05 »

After reading the full report on RRod, reading the FBI report on the bball staff, watching the Outside the Lines story on the T&F team, seeing Harvey Mason lose it on twitter, etc. etc. I'm just completely disgusted by how Arizona Athletics was run during Byrne's tenure.

Arizona is looking at the possibility of the NCAA stepping in and punishing the entire Athletic department. It appears things have been completely out of control.
prh

Post by prh »

Why would the NCAA punish the whole athletic department? Except for Penn State, they traditionally don't care about issues outside academics/recruiting/money. They haven't said a single word about Baylor, which has far worse issues. The only thing the NCAA would care about is basketball and that's years away.
TheGreatCatsby

Post by TheGreatCatsby »

Lots of stories out about how horrible and cruel Rich Rod was saying and doing to staff and players, belittling and screaming and cursing like a madman- after games, on the practice field, to the media, in front of others...and Bryne was right there watching all of it. As far back is '14-'15 this was all going on, and Bryne apparently didn't care that his is how the face of your organization acts.

RR's behavior certainly didn't change, so Bryne obviously didn't talk to RR about this or whatever he did say had zero effect on getting him to shape his act up. An extremely toxic culture was right in front of his face. What was Bryne thinking????

Also true was RR was basically a Stoops 2.0 on the sideline. Somewhat ironic we fired Stoops for acting like a total idiot on the sideline during games melting down like a child, and RR was really not much better on that front, and from all accounts, even far worse off the field.
Sid

Post by Sid »

TheGreatCatsby wrote:Lots of stories out about how horrible and cruel Rich Rod was saying and doing to staff and players, belittling and screaming and cursing like a madman- after games, on the practice field, to the media, in front of others...and Bryne was right there watching all of it. As far back is '14-'15 this was all going on, and Bryne apparently didn't care that his is how the face of your organization acts.

RR's behavior certainly didn't change, so Bryne obviously didn't talk to RR about this or whatever he did say had zero effect on getting him to shape his act up. What was Bryne thinking????

Also true was RR was basically a Stoops 2.0 on the sideline. Somewhat ironic we fired Stoops for acting like a total idiot on the sideline during games melting down like a child, and RR was really not much better on that front, and from all accounts, even far worse off the field.
I believe it was Sean Miller and Byrne discussing candidates on a plane trip that led to the hiring of Rich Rod. Didn’t Sean bring up who is available and hungry for reedemption after getting the shaft? Sean was describing the right guy, but unfortunately it wasn’t Rich Rod. That guy was the pirate, oh well....
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Sid wrote:
TheGreatCatsby wrote:Lots of stories out about how horrible and cruel Rich Rod was saying and doing to staff and players, belittling and screaming and cursing like a madman- after games, on the practice field, to the media, in front of others...and Bryne was right there watching all of it. As far back is '14-'15 this was all going on, and Bryne apparently didn't care that his is how the face of your organization acts.

RR's behavior certainly didn't change, so Bryne obviously didn't talk to RR about this or whatever he did say had zero effect on getting him to shape his act up. What was Bryne thinking????

I believe it was Sean Miller and Byrne discussing candidates on a plane trip that led to the hiring of Rich Rod. Didn’t Sean bring up who is available and hungry for reedemption after getting the shaft? Sean was describing the right guy, but unfortunately it wasn’t Rich Rod. That guy was the pirate, oh well....

Urban Meyer suggested RR to Byrne.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

I liked him as a man. The scandals suck, but he was a very nice man from my experience.
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

As more and more things unfold I can't help but think Byrnes knew a lot of things were brewing and decided to get out while the getting was good before it all landed on him. He found the perfect patsy in Heeke before he left. I think Heeke has not handled any of it very well and now when and if the Cat 5 shit storm hits the athletic department over things going on with the football team and the nonsense in the basketball program, its all going to land on Heeke. I had always respected Byrnes until recently and in some ways I feel sorry for Heeke. He was not ready for what he walked into here.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

tgrumpy2 wrote:As more and more things unfold I can't help but think Byrnes knew a lot of things were brewing and decided to get out while the getting was good before it all landed on him. He found the perfect patsy in Heeke before he left. I think Heeke has not handled any of it very well and now when and if the Cat 5 shit storm hits the athletic department over things going on with the football team and the nonsense in the basketball program, its all going to land on Heeke. I had always respected Byrnes until recently and in some ways I feel sorry for Heeke. He was not ready for what he walked into here.
Of course he did. And while I am not sure what to believe between the independent investigation and the claims, and now RR's daughter is posting screen prints of text messages between her and MW, I am sure that Byrne was allowing RR to get away with more than he should because Byrne hired him and didnt want to fire him.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

tgrumpy2 wrote:As more and more things unfold I can't help but think Byrnes knew a lot of things were brewing and decided to get out while the getting was good before it all landed on him. He found the perfect patsy in Heeke before he left. I think Heeke has not handled any of it very well and now when and if the Cat 5 shit storm hits the athletic department over things going on with the football team and the nonsense in the basketball program, its all going to land on Heeke. I had always respected Byrnes until recently and in some ways I feel sorry for Heeke. He was not ready for what he walked into here.
Maybe he did want to get out but he landed at Alabama. He leaves for that job either way.
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

DrWildcat wrote:
Maybe he did want to get out but he landed at Alabama. He leaves for that job either way.
Good probability of truth in that but Alabama....perfect job offer at the perfect time. All we saw was the dust he was leaving as he was hauling ass out of town.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

chiefzona wrote:
azpenguin wrote:If he were to leave, Texas is one of the crown jewels of the NCAA. He inherits a relatively new coach in hoops and a new coach in football, so he would likely not have to make a big hire for a while. If he were to leave AZ, RichRod would be in a much more precarious position; not only is he on the hot seat as it is, a new AD might want to bring in his own guy, and if you pull the trigger on that you need to do it before the retention installment kicks in.

Very true. RR is gone after next season regardless of Byrne IMO. Good points though.

First I called Byrne leaving and then this shot. It’s what I do. Hang tight kids, we’re in for a ride.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

chiefzona wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
azpenguin wrote:If he were to leave, Texas is one of the crown jewels of the NCAA. He inherits a relatively new coach in hoops and a new coach in football, so he would likely not have to make a big hire for a while. If he were to leave AZ, RichRod would be in a much more precarious position; not only is he on the hot seat as it is, a new AD might want to bring in his own guy, and if you pull the trigger on that you need to do it before the retention installment kicks in.

Very true. RR is gone after next season regardless of Byrne IMO. Good points though.

First I called Byrne leaving and then this shot. It’s what I do. Hang tight kids, we’re in for a ride.
I will give credit where credit is due. Well done sir. I owe you a beer on me
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

btfd16 wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
chiefzona wrote:

Thanks man. If you're going to a game next season maybe we can meet up for a frosty cold one?
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

chiefzona wrote:
btfd16 wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
chiefzona wrote:

Thanks man. If you're going to a game next season maybe we can meet up for a frosty cold one?
Sounds good to me.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

In 2012 GB forced RR to send Ippolito and Tevin Hood to the locker room for fighting on national tv. Guess it’s different if you go to Bama
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

btfd16 wrote:In 2012 GB forced RR to send Ippolito and Tevin Hood to the locker room for fighting on national tv. Guess it’s different if you go to Bama
Saban would fire him on the spot if he tried to interfere with his team.
prh

Post by prh »

DrWildcat wrote:
btfd16 wrote:In 2012 GB forced RR to send Ippolito and Tevin Hood to the locker room for fighting on national tv. Guess it’s different if you go to Bama
Saban would fire him on the spot if he tried to interfere with his team.
Also, Saban (and staff) is able to get players under control and back into the game. That kid made a couple big plays on special teams.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Connected recently (for the first time in a while) with a couple pretty reliable sources re: UA Athletic Dept.

Re: Byrne - his move to Alabama was running away from all the shit that was happening here, it was not running TO big bad Tuscaloosa. Said he was an operational nightmare and left the AD in disastrous shape (beyond what we all could see). Also said Byrne is not even allowed in the Football facility at Bama without Saban's prior approval.

A few other interesting tidbits....
- Heeke & Robbins are absolutely kicking ass (beyond what we see)
- Sumlin is already LOVED & WANTS to be in Tucson (it was obvious to many inside that RR never did)
- RR was an asshole (opinion shared from Day 1, part of basis for my opinion of him) but were surprised to learn of allegations he was engaged in sexual harassment (never saw it)... but both were also SHOCKED he was cheating on Rita (impression was they were very smitten). The notion that everyone knew RR was having affair was BS. (My editorial comment - not theirs - how did his Admin know about it if she was not asked to help hide it?)
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Thank you HS, i suspected as much regarding Byrne just reading the tea leaves.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

I've been told that Sumlin does in fact love Tucson and most would not be surprised if this was his last job.
prh

Post by prh »

Didn't Chief tell us Byrne was trying to get out before Bama happened? The more that comes out, the more I hope it blows up for GB nationally. All these ADs resigning from the schools they screwed up, GB is able to avoid everything cause he's moved on.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I believe everything Harvey says is true, 100%, but you can't turn down Alabama!

As much as I hate Alabama going back to the Bear Bryant days, sure hope something slimy comes out of this and sticks to Bama.
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

I hope Byrne causes problems at Alabama. Living here and listening to these fans can be painful.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Harvey Specter wrote:Connected recently (for the first time in a while) with a couple pretty reliable sources re: UA Athletic Dept.

Re: Byrne - his move to Alabama was running away from all the shit that was happening here, it was not running TO big bad Tuscaloosa. Said he was an operational nightmare and left the AD in disastrous shape (beyond what we all could see). Also said Byrne is not even allowed in the Football facility at Bama without Saban's prior approval.

A few other interesting tidbits....
- Heeke & Robbins are absolutely kicking ass (beyond what we see)
- Sumlin is already LOVED & WANTS to be in Tucson (it was obvious to many inside that RR never did)
- RR was an asshole (opinion shared from Day 1, part of basis for my opinion of him) but were surprised to learn of allegations he was engaged in sexual harassment (never saw it)... but both were also SHOCKED he was cheating on Rita (impression was they were very smitten). The notion that everyone knew RR was having affair was BS. (My editorial comment - not theirs - how did his Admin know about it if she was not asked to help hide it?)
As I said on Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:12 am....

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4394&start=600#p274554" target="_blank
Fuck Greg Byrne
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

prh wrote:Didn't Chief tell us Byrne was trying to get out before Bama happened? The more that comes out, the more I hope it blows up for GB nationally. All these ADs resigning from the schools they screwed up, GB is able to avoid everything cause he's moved on.

Yes I did.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

ChooChooCat wrote:I've been told that Sumlin does in fact love Tucson and most would not be surprised if this was his last job.

He hasn't been here long enough. He's been out recruiting, mostly. I'd like to believe this was his last job but there is a higher chance that it is not.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

chiefzona wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:I've been told that Sumlin does in fact love Tucson and most would not be surprised if this was his last job.

He hasn't been here long enough. He's been out recruiting, mostly. I'd like to believe this was his last job but there is a higher chance that it is not.
Exactly. He was hired 17 days ago and has been in other cities and states a good chunk of that time.

I am sure he really likes Tucson and UA so far but to know he loves it and wants to stay here forever is completely unrealistic since he hasn't experienced any of it yet. Just seems to be a dig at the old guy
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

chiefzona wrote:

He's spent more time in Tucson than just the period extending from his official presser to today Jefe. He's been in town a few times prior. I didn't post that as a fluff piece, that's the legit situation. He may not end his career here of course, but the man genuinely wants to be here unlike some other prick we all knew.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
chiefzona wrote:

He's spent more time in Tucson than just the period extending from his official presser to today Jefe. He's been in town a few times prior. I didn't post that as a fluff piece, that's the legit situation. He may not end his career here of course, but the man genuinely wants to be here unlike some other prick we all knew.
Yeah he and RR are friends he's been out to Tucson for multiple practices (reason BJ got the job at A&M). Of course it's probably still surface level, but he's been here more than just being hired.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

PHXCATS wrote:
chiefzona wrote:

Exactly. He was hired 17 days ago and has been in other cities and states a good chunk of that time.

I am sure he really likes Tucson and UA so far but to know he loves it and wants to stay here forever is completely unrealistic since he hasn't experienced any of it yet. Just seems to be a dig at the old guy
Your inconsistent application & principle never ceases to amaze.

Your comment above is fair & reasonable... but when "the old guy" said an hour after landing here for the first time that he loved Tucson and wanted to retire here - you believed him and argued he was telling the truth.
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

Harvey Specter wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
chiefzona wrote:

Your inconsistent application & principle never ceases to amaze.

Your comment above is fair & reasonable... but when "the old guy" said an hour after landing here for the first time that he loved Tucson and wanted to retire here - you believed him and argued he was telling the truth.

I'll bet PHXCAT is gonna be tickled pink that you think his comment was fair and reasonable. He's so gonna sleep better tonight. A lot of us believed RichRod and I'm pretty sure a lot of us have learned our lesson and that just may be the basis for his above comment. What I don't see is the basis for your comment.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

So basically this dickhole just fucked this athletic program and just won a national championship. What a piece of shit!
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Sorry y'all feel duped. I tried to tell y'all. People will believe anything they want.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Hey but we got a giant football screen out of it!!!
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

3goggles wrote:So basically this dickhole just fucked this athletic program and just won a national championship. What a piece of shit!
Athletic program will be fine

Just shows how terrible of an AD he was
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

One positive thing is that Bryne will likely cause an implosion at Alabama. Once Saban retires it’s going to get ugly there.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
legallykenny

Post by legallykenny »

OSUCat wrote:One positive thing is that Bryne will likely cause an implosion at Alabama. Once Saban retires it’s going to get ugly there.
Was literally just writing the exact same thing. Byrne’s incompetence might be the only thing 5hat can finally blow up SEC bagman culture.
3rdand25

Post by 3rdand25 »

OSUCat wrote:One positive thing is that Bryne will likely cause an implosion at Alabama. Once Saban retires it’s going to get ugly there.
They got exactly what they want. A smooth talker that runs a loose ship, either by intent or incompetence. Perfect fit.

As far as GB went, I got run off the old AFO site when I dared point out some of his questionable actions. Well we can see how it all worked out now. Sigh.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

3rdand25 wrote:
They got exactly what they want. A smooth talker that runs a loose ship, either by intent or incompetence. Perfect fit.

As far as GB went, I got run off the old AFO site when I dared point out some of his questionable actions. Well we can see how it all worked out now. Sigh.
I got banned from that site too...basically just shows we have brains and can use things like logic and reason. I literally got in arguments with people on that site when they compared Rich rod to Lute Olson.....yeah I think I won that one

GB was a snake oil salesmen just like Dudek. Used social media to make you believe they were much better at their jobs then they were. Arte Moreno hated him. That is an absolute fact.
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS