2017 Season

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

CatinVA

2017 Season

Post by CatinVA »

No back-to-back away games, save between Oregon and ASU. Bye after week 4 between Utah and Colorado.

scumdevils86

Re: 2017 Season

Post by scumdevils86 »

One home game after Oct 28
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Well it looks workable. Definitely will be a tough finish but maybe if we can start strong we can build some confidence.

Wondering more about our S&C program and it's relationship to all our injuries. Are we doing it the right way?
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

tough end to the season with usc, Oregon and asu all on the road. if we want any hope of bowling we need to be 5-3 after the first 8. gotta beat nau, Houston, utep and 2 out of Utah, @CU, ucla, @cal, or wsu.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

See a lot of 7:45 pm games unless RichRod can right the ship.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

The Houston game should be fun.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

What is everyone thinking right now? 3 to 5 wins?
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

i'm thinking 4-8
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuccccccckkkkkkkkkkk....
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

at least we skip washington and furd i guess.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Probably will be favored only v. NAU, UTEP and OSU. Houston may be a toss up.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Chicat wrote: Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuccccccckkkkkkkkkkk....
Two games I am really looking forward to is Oregon and the Wazzu game. I hope we come out and make it very personal in both
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Best Case
NAU - W
Houston - W
UTEP - W
Utah - L
Colorado - L
UCLA - W
Cal - W
WSU - W
USC - L
OSU - W
Oregon - L
ASU - W

Worst Case
NAU - W
Houston - L
UTEP - W
Utah - L
Colorado - L
UCLA - L
Cal - L
WSU - L
USC - L
OSU - W
Oregon - L
ASU - L
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Kyle Allen should start at Houston and they don't lose too much. That might be a tough game. Oregon State might also be a tough game. NAU and UTEP are the only gimmies IMO. Some things can change but that's how I see it now.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

pretty much agree with the best case worst case there. 3-9 again or 8-4
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

Here is my guess with kool-aid glasses on. I think it will be doable if we can keep the injury bug away.
NAU - W
Houston - W
UTEP - W
Utah - W
Colorado - L
UCLA - L
Cal - W
WSU - W
USC - L
OSU - W
Oregon - L
ASU - W

8 Wins, 4 Losses
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

Honest question: Why the expected losses to Oregon? Coming off a 4-8 season, what is suddenly so wonderful about them in 2017?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

MrMeow wrote:Honest question: Why the expected losses to Oregon? Coming off a 4-8 season, what is suddenly so wonderful about them in 2017?
I don't think we are going to be a good road team and Oregon still has tons of talent and speed.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

Chicat wrote:
MrMeow wrote:Honest question: Why the expected losses to Oregon? Coming off a 4-8 season, what is suddenly so wonderful about them in 2017?
I don't think we are going to be a good road team and Oregon still has tons of talent and speed.
Thanks. The first part I get, although I'm not sure I agree. The second part, talent and speed, has there been a upgrade from last season? (Burmeister can't be that good).
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

MrMeow wrote:
Chicat wrote:
Thanks. The first part I get, although I'm not sure I agree. The second part, talent and speed, has there been a upgrade from last season? (Burmeister can't be that good).
I didn't think talent was their issue last year. Motivation and coaching seemed (to me) to be bigger factors.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

Chicat wrote:
MrMeow wrote:
Chicat wrote:
I didn't think talent was their issue last year. Motivation and coaching seemed (to me) to be bigger factors.
Okay. Odd that Helfrich went 11-2, 13-2 (including the national title game), 9-4, then suddenly 4-8 last year.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

3-9
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

1. Talent and Speed
2. The game is in Eugene
3. We had an even worse record than they did last year

Coming off a 3-9 season, why would you expect us to win at their place? I saw you think we may be a good road team... I am curious as to why.

I hopefully see improved health & output from the RB position... not sure where else I see a marked improvement. QB is a big problem and so is the entire Defense. The OL should be pretty good, but I thought they'd be better last year. We lose our top WR's and their production last season was nil (see QB position).

I'll predict between 4-8 and 5-7.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

MrMeow wrote:
Chicat wrote:
MrMeow wrote:
Chicat wrote:
Okay. Odd that Helfrich went 11-2, 13-2 (including the national title game), 9-4, then suddenly 4-8 last year.
Their recruiting has been fairly consistent (ranked in the 15-20 range since 2012) but they still run basically the same offense Bellotti stole from RichRod back in the day, which is the same offense so many other teams run. So they're not surprising anyone and defenses have adjusted.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

Harvey Specter wrote:
1. Talent and Speed
2. The game is in Eugene
3. We were 3-8 last year

Coming off a 3-9 season, why would you expect us to win at their place?
Why would I? Not sure I said I do. I am curious, however, how all that "talent and speed" got them a 4-8 season under the same coach that previously got them three big winning seasons, including the national title game. What's missing?
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Oregon's recruiting tailed off. Lost talent on o-line and d-line.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Merkin wrote:Probably will be favored only v. NAU, UTEP and OSU. Houston may be a toss up.
Way too early to say anything like this. No one thought U of A would be that bad last year and Colorado would be that good.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Sid

Post by Sid »

chiefzona wrote:What is everyone thinking right now? 3 to 5 wins?
8-4 if we can finally keep our RB's and QB's healthy. The running game will be crucial next season imho.
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

I expect Houston is the key game in ability to go to a bowl game. I would expect a bowl bid be the mark if RR will keep his job or not. New AD, his final retention fund percentage due kicking in... would have to think reaching a Bowl game or not is the marker.

I don't see reaching a bowl bid at this point. UA had 8 Senior starters that went 1-8 in conference. Starters. Couple other key contributors (on 1-8 team) transferred and another graduated early and left the program.

Since joining the PAC, the most conference wins UA has improved by is 3 games. It's only happened 3 times in 39 years. Of course never when coming off a 1 conference win season. Factor in this debacle of a slide started during 2015 season. Last season was worse.

I would guess 2016 was bottom, but it takes time to climb out of that. Takes time even if you have a Monster of a recruiting class. Not even then as so difficult to start as a true freshman even on this team. RR's schemes are so complex.

UA won't have a Monster recruiting class.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

They're either gonna go 4-8 or 8-4. We might see that the young guys learned from all the lumps they took last year, and the offense stays healthy enough that Dawkins and Taylor can run wild and Dawkins will have chances to throw due to the run game. OR the talent isn't going to be there on defense, and the offense won't be able to overcome that. I don't see too much middle ground, really.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Does UA even have any NFL quality players on next season's team? Griffey and Magloire are gone.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Sid wrote:
8-4 if we can finally keep our RB's and QB's healthy. The running game will be crucial next season imho.

What QB on the roster is going to win 8 games?
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

PHXCATS wrote:
Merkin wrote:Probably will be favored only v. NAU, UTEP and OSU. Houston may be a toss up.
Way too early to say anything like this. No one thought U of A would be that bad last year and Colorado would be that good.

I picked Arizona 5th and Colorado 6th before last season. Colorado was a bit of a surprise....Arizona....not so much.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I believe I predicted 6-6 last season with a healthy Solomon and Wilson.

Solomon gone, Wilson glass, no passing threat on the roster, no LBs, no frosh impact players outside of Tilford, D still undersized and so on, I think 4 wins is probably the over/under point. ASU is always questionable, and Houston can be either way.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

chiefzona wrote:
Sid wrote:

I'm sure you're not limiting your negativity to the QB position, however, if you are, which QB on the roster won 8 games in 2013?
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

MrMeow wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
Sid wrote:

I'm sure you're not limiting your negativity to the QB position, however, if you are, which QB on the roster won 8 games in 2013?
There is not a QB on the roster who was on the team in 2013...

I assume your point is we won 8 games with a less-than-serviceable option at QB - so it could happen again?
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

Harvey Specter wrote:
MrMeow wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
Sid wrote:

There is not a QB on the roster who was on the team in 2013...

I assume your point is we won 8 games with a less-than-serviceable option at QB - so it could happen again?
Yes, that was my point ... in part. I'm not prepared to say it could happen again because there are other obvious deficiencies. I only wanted to point out that having a less than serviceable QB isn't the end of the world. Chief seemed to imply that having a serviceable QB is everything. I disagree, although it obviously helps.

And, oh, I was referring to the 2013 roster ...
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

chiefzona wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:

I picked Arizona 5th and Colorado 6th before last season. Colorado was a bit of a surprise....Arizona....not so much.
Cool story bro
Sid

Post by Sid »

chiefzona wrote:
Sid wrote:

The one handing the ball off to JJ Motherfucking Taylor.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

JJ ain't no Kadeem MF Carey though. For one thing, Kadeem is 4" taller just for starts.

But I can see Dawkins and Tate being another BJ Denker, great feet but not a Div I arm. BJ had the weakest arm, but knew the playbook the best.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Well, with the current lack of depth at RB I'm pretty sure Tilford will get a chance to push for playing time as well. At 6'2" and 215 lbs, that'll make up some of the difference right there. Would love to see some two-back sets with JJ and Tilford and RichRod probably would as well.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

azpenguin wrote:Well, with the current lack of depth at RB I'm pretty sure Tilford will get a chance to push for playing time as well. At 6'2" and 215 lbs, that'll make up some of the difference right there. Would love to see some two-back sets with JJ and Tilford and RichRod probably would as well.
Tilford's no dummy. He saw an opportunity. Good for him, good for us.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Merkin wrote:JJ ain't no Kadeem MF Carey though. For one thing, Kadeem is 4" taller just for starts.

But I can see Dawkins and Tate being another BJ Denker, great feet but not a Div I arm. BJ had the weakest arm, but knew the playbook the best.
Dawk has elite speed and power as a runner that Denker never had. He's also got a stronger arm.

Dawk with modest improvement in the passing game is pert near unstoppable, I was at the Wash game where he and JJ were shredding the Husky D until the broken ankle happened.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

wyo-cat wrote:
Merkin wrote:JJ ain't no Kadeem MF Carey though. For one thing, Kadeem is 4" taller just for starts.

Dawk has elite speed and power as a runner that Denker never had. He's also got a stronger arm.

Dawk with modest improvement in the passing game is pert near unstoppable, I was at the Wash game where he and JJ were shredding the Husky D until the broken ankle happened.
As good as Dawk may be, Tate is naturally better. Stronger arm, stronger runner. Needs experience, that's all.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

It looked to me that Dawkins was afraid to throw the ball to anybody that had a defender within 5 yards of them.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

azgreg wrote:It looked to me that Dawkins was afraid to throw the ball to anybody that had a defender within 5 yards of them.
I have to say, I logically suspect coaching. Perhaps I am wrong, but how many highly rated high school QBs has Rod Smith gone through without turning out something? Matt Scott was a long time ago.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Sid wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
Sid wrote:

The one handing the ball off to JJ Motherfucking Taylor.

That's very funny.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

PHXCATS wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:

Cool story bro

It's on my Twitter feed.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

7-5 possibly 8-4. Pound the run and hope that every once in a while our QB can throw a pass. Yes...i think with everyone back and healthy we're that good at the RB spot. JJ Taylor should be a star by the end of next year.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

chiefzona wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:

Cool story bro

It's on my Twitter feed.
Cool story bro