2017 Arizona Wildcats Football Team.

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ramcat

Re: 2017 Arizona Wildcats Football Team.

Post by ramcat »

Good impressions on Boles. Now just get cleared officially.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.azdese ... roster-usf" target="_blank
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Merkin wrote:Didn't the UA AD just hire the Cal ticketing guy for the same role? Don't recall Cal attendance being all that great.

Was the Taco Bell 2 for 1 tickets the new guy's idea?
I think they were doing that last season as well.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Watched the 2009 TC game on PAC-12 last night and came away from it depressed. I was thinking other than maybe an offensive lineman, Wilson and a kicker, no one else on today's team would start on that team.

Time for a chance unless 7-5 or better occurs.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
SirClinks

Post by SirClinks »

Less than a month away for the start of the season and I am just not excited at all. Its more a feeling of dread that I felt in the Mackovic era.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Last edited by CalStateTempe on Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I'm excited, but only because will have a good season and be pleasantly surprised or an ad season and RR gets canned.

Either way it's looking up for the cats.

Also it officially marks the end of summer sports doldrums and leads us into the MLB playoffs and start of colege bb season!
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Yeah I'm excited in general for football to start because I just love college football and it means the weather will be getting nicer soon. I'm not particularly excited about our season (and probably won't go to any games) but I will watch them. Like CST said either we do better than expected or we suck and RR gets canned so we can start the whole cycle over again. Which is inherently exciting itself.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

And watching cats football is a good (sadistic?) activity to pass the time.

Except this year I'll likely hear more "daddy, why so mad?" from my 3yo while game watching. Lol.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I'm always excited for the start of the Arizona football season no matter how bad I think we'll be.
TheBlackLodge

Post by TheBlackLodge »

scumdevils86 wrote:(and probably won't go to any games)
Bad fan.
Formerly McLurvin
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I will look forward to going to bed at a reasonable hour if the Cats suck so bad the 8 pm games are over at half time.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

It will take a miracle to get really good for an extended period of time without the fan support and the financial benefits that come with that.

I wonder what could the AD do now to get people to come besides winning of course.

A) Hit local DJ to play?
B) More giveaways like this bobble head?
C) Hire bar and club promoters?
D) More Flex and Kiss cams?
E) Don't stop people from bringing beer in this year and until beer and wine can be sold by the AD?

To me what is needed to get basketball to the next level is strategy and luck. Additional finances are not needed for that.

For football it is coaching decisions, recruiting, assistant coaches and facilities. All of those can be greatly helped by more money.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

yes, yes we understand. the only reason why we suck is because only 45k show up to games instead of 55k.

jesus christ. :roll: :roll: :roll:
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

scumdevils86 wrote:yes, yes we understand. the only reason why we suck is because only 45k show up to games instead of 55k.

jesus christ. :roll: :roll: :roll:
Lets say average ticket price is $40 and the average person spends $10 in profit for retail/concessions. An extra $3,000,000 to $3,500,000 a year sure would go a long way in retaining the best assistant coaches and helping build an indoor facility wouldn't it.

Heck 15% of that would help a ton with assistants.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Um winning and a coaching staff who cares to recruit?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Byrne was working on getting alcohol into Arizona stadium. Has worked for other public schools to help bring in lots of revenue.

Besides students leaving at half time to hit up the parties. Now they can party there.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

I probably posted this somewhere else, but whatever.

As an absentee fan living far away, I've always said that if I lived in Tucson I'd have season tickets and I'd go to every game. I'm a good fan, blah, blah, blah. That being said, however, I went to the Hawaii game (cool USS Arizona uni night) last year and it was interminable. First half took a couple of hours. It just went on and on forever. With all the tv timeouts and players just standing around waiting, there just wasn't any flow whatsoever. Honestly, I don't know how the teams do it or stay engaged. It really sucked and was not what I so fondly remember from my youth/college days (long ago). I don't have any complaints about the stadium experience. Beer would help keep the buzz going so your hangover doesn't set in before half time. But good Lord, the pace of play is just a drag. Was totally relieved when my brother asked if I wanted to jet at the beginning of the 4th. At least at home you get to watch the commercials and other games and have the comforts and distractions of home to pass the time.

I'd still get the season tickets, but I'd pick and choose my spots.

As always I look forward to the season and I'll root for our guys, but my expectations are very low and I'm prepared to enjoy the drama of RR's inevitable demise . . .
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

The real reason we can't have good stuff (facilities, coaches, etc.) is not because we only can't get more than 45k to go to the game, it is because we only have 20k hard-core season ticket holders. The rest are fair weather fans and walk-up traffic. With season ticket holders the department gets the guaranteed cash on the front-end and can borrow against future revenues for the really big expenditures. That is why GB always said, "buy season tix" as the #1 thing fans can do. That said, filling the stadium consistently would also help with recruiting good recruiters/coaches and players who wan't to play in front of a packed house. Remember losing Williams to Nebraska, if we had more $$ in the coffers we could have offered a nice counter. Anyways, we are not going to convince folks to go the games, especially with a mediocre team. It is like a self-fulfilling prophecy. team sucks...no one goes to games..no one goes to games...good players won't come..good players won't come...good coaches won't come...no good players or coaches..team sucks... yada yada.
Nebraska, even after lean years, will be able to attract good coaches and players because of their $$ and facilities....they can afford that because there is a waiting list to get season tix. Very simple really. Beardown cabrones.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

BearDown89 wrote:I probably posted this somewhere else, but whatever.

As an absentee fan living far away, I've always said that if I lived in Tucson I'd have season tickets and I'd go to every game. I'm a good fan, blah, blah, blah. That being said, however, I went to the Hawaii game (cool USS Arizona uni night) last year and it was interminable. First half took a couple of hours. It just went on and on forever. With all the tv timeouts and players just standing around waiting, there just wasn't any flow whatsoever. Honestly, I don't know how the teams do it or stay engaged. It really sucked and was not what I so fondly remember from my youth/college days (long ago). I don't have any complaints about the stadium experience. Beer would help keep the buzz going so your hangover doesn't set in before half time. But good Lord, the pace of play is just a drag. Was totally relieved when my brother asked if I wanted to jet at the beginning of the 4th. At least at home you get to watch the commercials and other games and have the comforts and distractions of home to pass the time.

As always I look forward to the season and I'll root for our guys, but my expectations are very low and I'm prepared to enjoy the drama of RR's inevitable demise . . .
and we have a fast paced offense compared to many programs...
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

scumdevils86 wrote:
BearDown89 wrote:I probably posted this somewhere else, but whatever.

and we have a fast paced offense compared to many programs...
Or at least we did in RR's early tenure - Scott, Denker and early Anu which was what made it so damn exciting at first. But even that fast pace has been waning in recent years. Yeah, I know, injuries, recruiting, play calling, three and outs. Man, the title of that book sure was prescient!
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

I think you guys are missing something here. Seems to me we'd be in a better place with this program if we hadn't had a D coordinator who didn't have to recruit. I mean, if we were able to land a few more guys, we'd have won more games and we'd have more interest and more revenue. I think this new staff has a chance to turn it around and I hope they do. Good chance though that we are are 4 and 7 after the Oregon game and that's all she wrote for RR. Sure hope not.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

I think we are going 6-6. That can play out many ways but if the team looks competitive early and doesn't get boat raced against UCLA early, RR stays.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

UALoco wrote:I think we are going 6-6. That can play out many ways but if the team looks competitive early and doesn't get boat raced against UCLA early, RR stays.
Name the 6 wins
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

MrMeow wrote:
UALoco wrote:I think we are going 6-6. That can play out many ways but if the team looks competitive early and doesn't get boat raced against UCLA early, RR stays.
Name the 6 wins
NAU, Houston, UTEP, Utah, Cal, Oregon State, asu

Cats drop one of those not named UTEP or NAU but that is how I see 6-6 as obtainable.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

PHXCATS wrote:
MrMeow wrote:
Name the 6 wins

Cats drop one of those not named UTEP or NAU but that is how I see 6-6 as obtainable.

:lol:
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

chiefzona wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
MrMeow wrote:
Name the 6 wins

:lol:
Want to make a bet big tough guy?
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

PHXCATS wrote:
MrMeow wrote:
Name the 6 wins

If Cats get some luck with health this year, think this is very doable.
Might trip up on one of these but also could surprise someone too.
Get Colo. after bye and Buffs coming off Wash. and UCLA.
Would like to think Dawkins will improve and like what I'm hearing about Wood and RB's. Of course what I'm hearing and what actually transpires is big ?, Ha!
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I look at that and think it is doable with the Houston game the only one I look at and think that is a big toss up. I think we are somewhere between 4-7 and 6-6 and I would love to hear what Chief thinks our record will be (he may have posted his prediction and i just don't remember)

I think Yates getting more control of the defense and now using a bigger 4 man front with more athletic LB's will make a difference and if we can get back to some consistency on offense we could get those 6 wins. As mentioned by many though, Either way it will be a good year for all of us football fans. Progress one way or the other
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

More mention of Wood and Boles here, hoping Boles makes it thru academic hurdle. If so, think he could really help the rotation!
2nd year in D scheme also should help defense.

https://www.google.com/amp/tucson.com/s ... 7.amp.html" target="_blank
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

azcat49 wrote:I look at that and think it is doable with the Houston game the only one I look at and think that is a big toss up. I think we are somewhere between 4-7 and 6-6 and I would love to hear what Chief thinks our record will be (he may have posted his prediction and i just don't remember)

I think Yates getting more control of the defense and now using a bigger 4 man front with more athletic LB's will make a difference and if we can get back to some consistency on offense we could get those 6 wins. As mentioned by many though, Either way it will be a good year for all of us football fans. Progress one way or the other

Give me a week or two. I'm waiting for two things to happen before I make my prediction....again. :x
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

PHXCATS wrote:
MrMeow wrote:
Name the 6 wins

August is still Kool Aid season, right?
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

MrMeow wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
MrMeow wrote:
Name the 6 wins

ESPN and other metrics say Cal isnt that good and that UA should be favored in 5 games.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/te ... &year=2017" target="_blank

I really dont think Cal is that good but it is on the road. And have you seen asu's schedule? They will likely have Graham fired and have quit by then.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/te ... &year=2017" target="_blank

So yeah, expecting a likely scenario makes me a Kool Aid I guess I am Kool Aid

Dont be Double A

ramcat

Post by ramcat »

Kool aid and vodka here. Stories like these keep me hopeful.

https://www.google.com/amp/tucson.com/s ... 2.amp.html" target="_blank
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

ramcat wrote:Kool aid and vodka here. Stories like these keep me hopeful.

I'm always hopeful this time of year. It's not until two months later, the end of Kool Aid season, that reality sets in. RichRod teams have been teams that lose the obvious ones, and then beat themselves in others - poor execution and mistakes galore. It's like they never practiced. But I'm sure this year will be different. :)
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

MrMeow wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
MrMeow wrote:
Name the 6 wins

MrMeow, I still am only giving RR about a 25% chance of keeping his job but that 25% chance come from the exact things that article says. Both Utah and Colorado and Cal may not be nearly as good this year. Save me a sip of that Kool Aid.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

So all this TE getting more involved talk and a few of freshman defenders playing better than expected is getting everyone hot and bothered?

I expect 3-4 out of this bunch, maybe 4-3 if we get lucky.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Is the team going to Fort Huachuca this year?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

MrMeow wrote:
ramcat wrote:Kool aid and vodka here. Stories like these keep me hopeful.

I'm always hopeful this time of year. It's not until two months later, the end of Kool Aid season, that reality sets in. RichRod teams have been teams that lose the obvious ones, and then beat themselves in others - poor execution and mistakes galore. It's like they never practiced. But I'm sure this year will be different. :)
Think health is key. Cats ongoing challenge with depth is still there. 2014 was a largely healthy year and the execution was pretty solid.
Last couple years, with extensive injuries, Cats relying upon 2nd, 3rd and 4th string players, makes sense mistakes increase and execution suffers. If another year like 2014 exist health-wise, think there will be a nice improvement, and that 6 and 6, is very achievable, if not better, Ha! I know getting drunk on this Kool aid cocktail!
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Chicat wrote:Is the team going to Fort Huachuca this year?

Like last year Team will go to Ft. Huachuca for dinner next weekend
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Chicat wrote:Is the team going to Fort Huachuca this year?

Saturday the 19th team bus departs for Ft Huachuca dinner at 5pm. Leaves for Tucson at 815pm.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

The last time I saw so many negative folks was the ASU at AZ thread leading up to that game. If I can't be optimistic this time of year, when can I? 6-6. That is my call and I am sticking to it.

NAU, UTEP, CAL, OSU, ASU and 1 game out of Houston, Utah, and Colorado. I hear we might even have a chance against Oregon because their run D is REALLY bad (their MLB is a walk-on freshman).
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

So Khalil Tate also now in a Red jersey... Question is will RR burn Donavan Tate redshirt play him in a OOC game to maintain the hype or help him. Would make sense, D.Tate is 26. Not getting drafted.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:So Khalil Tate also now in a Red jersey... Question is will RR burn Donavan Tate redshirt play him in a OOC game to maintain the hype or help him. Would make sense, D.Tate is 26. Not getting drafted.
Don't QBs always wear red jerseys?

With Tate, no harm in letting him play. He'll be 30 when a senior, so not sure saving him at age 31 will help the Cats. Besides he has a wife and kid, so has other interests outside of football.
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Merkin wrote:
RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:So Khalil Tate also now in a Red jersey... Question is will RR burn Donavan Tate redshirt play him in a OOC game to maintain the hype or help him. Would make sense, D.Tate is 26. Not getting drafted.
Don't QBs always wear red jerseys?

With Tate, no harm in letting him play. He'll be 30 when a senior, so not sure saving him at age 31 will help the Cats. Besides he has a wife and kid, so has other interests outside of football.

No.
1st week of camp RR said only Dawkins wearing Red jersey. Videos above now show K.Tate wearing and all other QBs not wearing. So as expected, Dawkins then Tate on QB depth. As camp continues less reps for others.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

It's all Dawkins and KT right now. Everyone else is far behind. Dawkins will start and Tate will be the back up for NAU. After that.....who knows.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Hey Chief, how tough is it to pick up RR's offense? Is he too stubborn to simplify it? did we really only run 3 different plays in the second half against ASSU?

Just wondering as QB play is so important in his scheme and he is trying to save his bacon this year so why not roll out a watered down version and uncomplicate the decision making
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

http://www.1580thefanatic.com/podcasts/" target="_blank Scroll down to Wildcat Country and Dave Heeke. Says that the Indoor facility is happening soon. Love it. Absolutely needed.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

azcat49 wrote:Hey Chief, how tough is it to pick up RR's offense? Is he too stubborn to simplify it? did we really only run 3 different plays in the second half against ASSU?

Just wondering as QB play is so important in his scheme and he is trying to save his bacon this year so why not roll out a watered down version and uncomplicate the decision making

It's very tough to pick up and run it up to his standard. Very few have attained that level. He can simplify it on the fly, he just doesn't like too. I never counted but it sure seemed like it.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Like BJ Denker said, he was the smartest guy on the football field.

Guess you have to be to pick it up well, like he did.

Of course Denker had MFing Ka'Deem Carey back there.