2017 Arizona Wildcats Football Team.

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Merkin

Re: 2017 Arizona Wildcats Football Team.

Post by Merkin »

Chief putting his reputation on the line here. If players and/or coaches bail, then he can come here and gloat.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azcat49 wrote:
chiefzona wrote:Heard the abandon ship siren.
Yep, if your making a joke say so or if you have something solid spill it, otherwise that is a shitty thing to say. Just let it play out
He can't, it's not his blog.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

chiefzona wrote:Heard the abandon ship siren.
How does Dunkirk look? I didn't think it was out yet.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Notice Chief posts that ominous post and since then he has been silent. Program cancer
Last edited by azcat49 on Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Merkin wrote:Chief putting his reputation on the line here. If players and/or coaches bail, then he can come here and gloat.
Chief's reputation?

:lol:
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

azcat49 wrote:Notice Chief posts that ominous post and since then he has been silent. Program cancer

Me silent? Not so much. I got a tip off on a situation that I'm happy about. You'll hear about the real program cancer. Y'all got your ears on?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

chiefzona wrote:
azcat49 wrote:Notice Chief posts that ominous post and since then he has been silent. Program cancer

Me silent? Not so much. I got a tip off on a situation that I'm happy about. You'll hear about the real program cancer. Y'all got your ears on?
God you're such a douche.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

chiefzona wrote:

2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
qwertyus

Post by qwertyus »

PHXCATS wrote:
chiefzona wrote:

Don't hold your breath. Some story will break in the future, perhaps even months from now, and then Chief will come back afterwards, crowing about how that was what he was talking about.

Speaking of which, I've predicted the winner of the 2018 CFB Playoff. I won't tell you who it is now, but after the game ends, I will let you know how right I was all along! :lol:
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

ASUHATER! wrote:
chiefzona wrote:

God you're such a douche.

It's a cleansing that this team and fan base needs. Perfect metaphor Hater. Thank you.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

why not spill the info? When will it come out? You make it sound as if RR has reached an agreement that this will be his last year?
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

azcat49 wrote:why not spill the info? When will it come out?

When/if he officially accepts the job.
BibbysTowelDude

Post by BibbysTowelDude »

You all can be super sensitive about Chief (I don't get it, but whatever), but the obvious answers are staring you in the face. The football program is the drizzling shits, it's being run by a stubborn jackass. It's was only matter of time before the right people/wrong people felt burned. Winning is aloe vera but the ship has sailed so to speak.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

chiefzona wrote:

What does this have to do with the abandon ship siren? Are you saying Heeke has reached out to another coach to lead us in preparation of RR being fired at the end of the year? Another addition to the staff?

You are as cryptic as bigfoot
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

Chip?! Lol!
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I am simply riveted.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

azcat49 wrote:
chiefzona wrote:

What does this have to do with the abandon ship siren? Are you saying Heeke has reached out to another coach to lead us in preparation of RR being fired at the end of the year? Another addition to the staff?

You are as cryptic as bigfoot

Nothing to do with RR. Bigfoot has been found. He goes by the name of Dancing Bear.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

"abandon ship siren" then "when he accepts the job". Those two just don't seem to correlate?
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

I could be wrong but reading the tea leaves here, it sounds like Heeke has the green light from the powers that be to make a move re: RR and is just waiting for the right opportunity to give RR his pink slip. My guess that if we start 1-5 in the first 5 games or O-4 in P12 play(which is a distinct possibility), Dave pulls the trigger. I don't know why folks get their chonies(Spanish slang for undies) in a bind over Chief's posts. Take them for what they are worth, message board fodder.

Either way, I will be cheering the team on from the stands, wishing for the best, and bracing for the worst. Some folks seem to be hoping for the worst to get a restart but that approach is too cynical and dysfunctional for my taste. I can't assume the next coach can do much better that RR. It is just as tough to attact great football coaches as it is to attract great football players in Tucson and Arizona in general.
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

UALoco wrote:I could be wrong but reading the tea leaves here, it sounds like Heeke has the green light from the powers that be to make a move re: RR and is just waiting for the right opportunity to give RR his pink slip. My guess that if we start 1-5 in the first 5 games or O-4 in P12 play(which is a distinct possibility), Dave pulls the trigger. I don't know why folks get their chonies(Spanish slang for undies) in a bind over Chief's posts. Take them for what they are worth, message board fodder.

Either way, I will be cheering the team on from the stands, wishing for the best, and bracing for the worst. Some folks seem to be hoping for the worst to get a restart but that approach is too cynical and dysfunctional for my taste. I can't assume the next coach can do much better that RR. It is just as tough to attact great football coaches as it is to attract great football players in Tucson and Arizona in general.
I think almost everyone in here acknowledges that possibility. If RR starts 1-3 and continues to slide, I expect he'll be fired midseason and so does everyone else. So why do we think Chief knows something we don't? I think he's just being Chief and trying to pull things out of the air. I just don't see Heeke or anyone else that is important in this program discussing future covert plans with Chief. He's pulled this sort of nonsense before and then backs off with some lame excuse about why and I think a lot of people on this site are tire of him. Half the time I find him annoying and half the time he's entertaining but I never take him to seriously.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

If U of A is ever three games below 500 RR gets fired mid season.

RR must go 7 and 5 or 6 and 6 potentially with a shit kicking of ASSU to keep his job.

Plain and simple except for determining how big the ass kicking must be if they are 6 and 6 this year.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

PHXCATS wrote:If U of A is ever three games below 500 RR gets fired mid season.

RR must go 7 and 5 or 6 and 6 potentially with a shit kicking of ASSU to keep his job.

Plain and simple except for determining how big the ass kicking must be if they are 6 and 6 this year.

It all depends on the size of Heeke's balls and purse.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

chiefzona wrote:

The size of your ego is going to be your downfall chief. Our AD doesn't have to do a god damn thing to RR. The only thing he going to look for is to whether or not RR and UA football program can bounce back from a 3-9 deficit. All he looking for is Improvement. He not looking for a Magic win # to satisfied certain individual. If you don't want to see any improvement chief and expect Heeke to make the easy decision possible. You haven't realize that all RR has to do is do better than 3-9? He can go 5-7 & still keep his job by 18, He can go 6-6, +1 & still keep his job by 18. If he goes 7-5, he exceeding expectation of doing better than 3-9 & still keep his job.
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

I don't know if there are any internal issues with the program. I would assume to some extent that every program in the country from small to big have their dark side issues. One of the most glaring issues holding this current program back aside from the poor level of talent in general is the significant number of players that leave the program in the first two years.

I don't have hard data or numbers but its seems pretty high. The feedback loop of lower level talent and consistently high departure rates of young players is a huge problem in this current RR era. Something just doesn't smell right. Who knows.

Personally I think RR has had enough time at the helm. Most all here are looking for another crappy season at 5-7 or 6-6 to save his bacon. I'm not remotely interested in any of that nonsense. RR would need a blow out season next year for me to want to see him back, and I don't think that is coming. But make no mistake I want the team to win, in-spite of the lingering uneasiness that seems to be lurking in the background. I just think new blood is in order.

Essentially this program needs a young, new, hungry, hard working clone of Sean Miller. Some one who eats, sleeps and dreams every minute about football. In Tucson it will take nothing less than that type of effort.

I don't think that that knight in shining armor is around the corner but make no mistake keeping Miller at Arizona for the long haul and hiring a new highly talented football coach is Dave Heeke's greatest challenges that lay ahead. Of course facility funding and massive upgrades are a very close second to the super high talent that must be at the helm to run the football program. Sean Miller is you're blue print for turning the football ship around.

But, sadly there aren't many Sean Millers out there to be had in the football realm.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

chiefzona wrote:

I don't agree with Chief much if ever, but he's nailed the situation to a tee with this post, although Heeke's purse will greatly impact his balls.
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
chiefzona wrote:

I don't agree with Chief much if ever, but he's nailed the situation to a tee with this post, although Heeke's purse will greatly impact his balls.

I don't think it will take big balls or a big purse to fire RR. This is the last year of his contract if I'm not mistaken. Whether you fire him in mid season or end of season they'll still pay him. If I know this school, they'll bring in someone that will work for less.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

Gladiator Cat wrote:I don't know if there are any internal issues with the program. I would assume to some extent that every program in the country from small to big have their dark side issues. One of the most glaring issues holding this current program back aside from the poor level of talent in general is the significant number of players that leave the program in the first two years.

I don't have hard data or numbers but its seems pretty high. The feedback loop of lower level talent and consistently high departure rates of young players is a huge problem in this current RR era. Something just doesn't smell right. Who knows.

Personally I think RR has had enough time at the helm. Most all here are looking for another crappy season at 5-7 or 6-6 to save his bacon. I'm not remotely interested in any of that nonsense. RR would need a blow out season next year for me to want to see him back, and I don't think that is coming. But make no mistake I want the team to win, in-spite of the lingering uneasiness that seems to be lurking in the background. I just think new blood is in order.

Essentially this program needs a young, new, hungry, hard working clone of Sean Miller. Some one who eats, sleeps and dreams every minute about football. In Tucson it will take nothing less than that type of effort.

I don't think that that knight in shining armor is around the corner but make no mistake keeping Miller at Arizona for the long haul and hiring a new highly talented football coach is Dave Heeke's greatest challenges that lay ahead. Of course facility funding and massive upgrades are a very close second to the super high talent that must be at the helm to run the football program. Sean Miller is you're blue print for turning the football ship around.

But, sadly there aren't many Sean Millers out there to be had in the football realm.
Sorry to be confrontational glad cat but this is one thing wrong with UA Football fans. It is always compared to bball. They are apples and effin' oranges, two completely different programs on completely different levels, and success in one has absolutely nothing to do with the other(see Duke and UNC Football). We will never get the "Sean Miller" of College Football coaches to come to Tucson. Even though our basketball program was having a tough time when GB got Sean to sign on, it still had a National Championship, a pedigree, a great forum to play, a packed house every night, a strong alumni base in the professional ranks, a national brand name (ZONA), and air conditioning to practice in. The Arizona Football program has absolutely none of that. Crappy stadium, crappy fan base, hot weather, no coastline, no Championships, relatively few pros, and absolutely ZERO sizzle. I don't care what anyone says but any new Football HC is starting from square one so we aren't ever going to attract a "Sean Miller" type. That is why I can give RR some slack. He got Gameday to show up, a P12 Championship, and a Fiesta Bowl, yes it was a fluke, yes we lost all of those games, but at least it happened. He also still gets national coverage, some of it not so great but bad press is better than no press at all, right? Anyways, I know I am a 40 something fan boy but I am willing to give RR the benefit of the doubt for one more year. If he goes 1-5 to start or 0-4 in P12 play, he needs to go. If he does go, we won't get a brand name coach under sixty, let's hope there is an up and comer willing to give AZ Football a chance, but if our fans won't, why should they? Beardown cabrones.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Loco you are 100 percent correct with everything except for the stadium. I think it is awesome.

It is tough to recruit to Arizona for football for a million reasons and our fans do us no help. Until the fans get better, because the AD needs that money to get an indoor practice facility which most other schools have had for years, we will always be behind. Maybe RR has tailed off but I feel like many fans think it is a lot easier to recruit here than it is.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

ChooChooCat wrote:
chiefzona wrote:

Life generally works this way. :lol:
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

tgrumpy2 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
chiefzona wrote:

I don't think it will take big balls or a big purse to fire RR. This is the last year of his contract if I'm not mistaken. Whether you fire him in mid season or end of season they'll still pay him. If I know this school, they'll bring in someone that will work for less.
I believe you're mistaken. He still has a few years remaining on his contract I believe. Outside of last year or two he's received a one year extension on his contract annually.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

If he gets fired today I think it was cost the UA AD $8M. Need a big purse for sure.
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

Merkin wrote:If he gets fired today I think it was cost the UA AD $8M. Need a big purse for sure.

The last contract extension I can find for RR was in 2014 and extended his contract out to May31, 2019. Was there another one because I cannot find it. https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/c ... e/9689725/" target="_blank

We would have to pay him for an extra year and a half or so. That's quite a bit of money but not 8millon.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

PHXCATS wrote:Loco you are 100 percent correct with everything except for the stadium. I think it is awesome.

It is tough to recruit to Arizona for football for a million reasons and our fans do us no help. Until the fans get better, because the AD needs that money to get an indoor practice facility which most other schools have had for years, we will always be behind. Maybe RR has tailed off but I feel like many fans think it is a lot easier to recruit here than it is.
Thanks PHX. Personally, I love the stadium but it has sentimental value to me and provides a great, intimate experience for the fan. For naive, immature recruits and in terms of national exposure, it just can't compete with USC's Coliseum, the Rose Bowl, or Autzen Stadium(even though the fan experience for the LA stadiums blows chunks).

It sad to say but AZ was just late to the college football scene to develop a college football culture...and I don't think it is going to ever happen since kids just don't worship football like my generation and older ones do. Beardown Cabrones.
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

tgrumpy2 wrote:
Merkin wrote:If he gets fired today I think it was cost the UA AD $8M. Need a big purse for sure.

The last contract extension I can find for RR was in 2014 and extended his contract out to May31, 2019. Was there another one because I cannot find it. https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/c ... e/9689725/" target="_blank

We would have to pay him for an extra year and a half or so. That's quite a bit of money but not 8millon.
Not sure if ultimately approved but this shows salary to 2020

.https://www.google.com/amp/tucson.com/s ... 6.amp.html" target="_blank
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

This article is pretty recent and references RR'S "new contract"?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndicatio ... x.amp.html" target="_blank
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

Even more recent seems to imply, at least 2020 and possible one year rollover to 2021.

http://tucson.com/ua-asu-football-teams ... 30df9.html" target="_blank
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

USA Today says $8.9M as of Oct 2016.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/n ... /92417648/" target="_blank
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Yeah so he needs the purse and in turn the balls. My guess is he doesn't have the former, so he can't possibly have the latter. Two more years of this is my guess.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

Ha ha, kinda want RR to stay till 2020 to piss off the haters.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

UALoco wrote:Ha ha, kinda want RR to stay till 2020 to piss off the haters.
By haters you mean every sane person right? I can't think of anyone that's an actual fan that wants to keep living through this dumpster fire of a program. We're inches away from being the next Kansas under RR right now.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

ASUHATER! wrote:
By haters you mean every sane person right? I can't think of anyone that's an actual fan that wants to keep living through this dumpster fire of a program. We're inches away from being the next Kansas under RR right now.
You know it pretty sad that you compare UA football to Kansas. UAloco just prove his point that anyone on this broad still want to believe that RR will be fired and still holding on to it, The Majority of everyone on this broad will eat own words on how their view this upcoming season. All he has to do is do better than 3-9 overall.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

If he's here through 2020 that will mean he righted the ship and we are winning consistently. Sounds good to me.
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

cordera89 wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
You know it pretty sad that you compare UA football to Kansas. UAloco just prove his point that anyone on this broad still want to believe that RR will be fired and still holding on to it, The Majority of everyone on this broad will eat own words on how their view this upcoming season. All he has to do is do better than 3-9 overall.
Monday Morning Question - Who's the Broad? and Who's on top of her? :o
Last edited by MountainCat on Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

RR last received a contract extension June 2015. It was extended to May 31, 2020.
-Each June 1st, RR gets a $100k base salary increase throughout contract term
-RR's annual base salary in June 2015 was increased to $1.75M (does not include Nike, IMG or bonus incentives compensation)
-June 2015 contract also amended his Longevity Fund terms to advance RR's payout schedule
-Advanced payout scheduled allowed RR to receive cash payment for 25% of the value of Longevity Fund back in March 2016
-Here's the advance payout schedule:

Rodriguez will be entitled to cash payments equal to a percentage of the value of the Longevity Fund in the
amounts and on the dates set forth below, if he is employed by the UA as
of those dates:
 March 15, 2016 – 43,750 units (25%) PAID
 March 15, 2018 – 43,750 units (25%)
 March 15, 2020 – 87,500 units (50%)

Why RR is facing an uphill battle retaining his job at AZ... That March 2018 date [below]. The Math. Each "unit", as of today is worth $36.18. Heeke (and Donor) would be hard pressed to want to take on the risk and ownership to commit to pay RR an additional $4.5M OUTSIDE of his annual salary. A buyout until March 2020 is large enough. Somewhat telling even Byrne passed on extending RR's contract in Byrne's final 1.5 years at UA

Rodriguez will be entitled to a cash payment equal to the full value of the fund if he is terminated without
cause or is terminated with cause as a result a of physical or mental disability at any time after March 15, 2018.

Other factor against RR and staff. Both Magee and Yates 2-year contracts expire in January 2018. Would have to be renewed in RR were allowed to stay on and want to keep those coordinators
Last edited by RazorsEdgeAZ on Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:14 am, edited 3 times in total.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

cordera89 wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:

No. He has to a lot better than 3-9. A lot of the media and some fans claimed injuries were the problem last year....not poor recruiting and poor player development. If that's the case then you should be saying that the Cats are winning 8, 9, or 10 games this season.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

MountainCat wrote:
cordera89 wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
Monday Morning Question - Who's the Broad? and Who's on top of her? :o
Sounds like she's from ASSU.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ASUHATER! wrote:
I could have been on board with RR being fired after last year. He's back, and how I see it is that things need to reverse course fast. The issue isn't so much a bad record as the regression of the program under his leadership. After the Fiesta Bowl season, we've been worse and less talented every year.

If/when that direction changes, RR should stay. If it continues, I don't know how long we can retain him.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

chiefzona wrote:
cordera89 wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:

No. He has to a lot better than 3-9. A lot of the media and some fans claimed injuries were the problem last year....not poor recruiting and poor player development. If that's the case then you should be saying that the Cats are winning 8, 9, or 10 games this season.
Chief, Like I said all he has to do is do better 3-9. He can win 5,6 or 7 games & still keep his job regardless.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

No. RR is done, even if the team ends up backing into some last-slot bowl this fall.

Nothing personal about it. Power conference ADs are a business, and Heeke's not going to eat any additional $4.5M he doesn't have to.

If Heeke's worth his coin, he's already started looking at young, hungry 1-AA and Mountain West coaches to hire, because everyone who originally came to Tucson with RR will be gone by January.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

cordera89 wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
cordera89 wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:

Chief, Like I said all he has to do is do better 3-9. He can win 5,6 or 7 games & still keep his job regardless.
No chance unless you have no money at all. If you don't make a bowl game RR has to go. Our fans are already subpar so allowing more losing would only make it worse for the next coach.