2017 Arizona Wildcats Football Team.

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

btfd16

Re: 2017 Arizona Wildcats Football Team.

Post by btfd16 »

azgreg wrote:
btfd16 wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:Better than this year by far
2015 was coming off a South championship and a Fiesta Bowl.. This year is coming off 3-9 and last in the South
We were talking about a possible bump in next years attendance.
Yeah that's why I thought Hater's comparison to this year was odd.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Hater throws a dart at a board to see what metric he's going to bitch about. Apparently, its attendance today.
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

ASUHATER! wrote:
tgrumpy2 wrote:I will give Chief and his bunch credit for one thing. Loyalty to the cause. He has shipped out on the good ship Hate Everything RichRod and by golly he's going to go down with that ship no matter what. Smooth sailing Chief and keep posting. You are so very entertaining.
Your commitment to ignoring reality really is something special. That's loyalty to a cause.
Ahhhhh come on hater, did someone poop in your lunch box today? Tell me where I've ignored reality. I've said on several occasions RR needed to turn it around this year or I was jumping on this fire RR bandwagon and then left it alone to see what the season brought. Well here we are and looks like RR is staying so end of story. And I expect more improvement next year and so on but that bridge isn't crossed yet. That is the reality. You think its just easy as pie to fire a coach and bring in someone else and the reality is, its not easy. Its a major undertaking and my stance this entire time has been if he can right the ship then he can stay because starting over isn't easy and I do not want to start over if I don't have to. Maybe you're the one that needs to examine your reality. And I love to poke at Chief, he is indeed one of the entertaining reasons I come here. You're fast becoming a second reason so please keep posting, you do entertain me. LOL
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Top 15 most watched college football games this year.

12 on ESPN family of networks
Only #12 involves a PAC-12 team

This is why most games on Fox and ESPN are night games, it is right for ESPN's and Fox's business.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

Fresh faces: The top true freshman for each Top 25 team

http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... ogs-top-25" target="_blank

22. Arizona: Tony Fields II

Fields, who has started every game this season, leads the Wildcats in tackles (58) and is one of four true freshmen among the team's top eight tacklers. That group includes fellow linebackers Colin Schooler, who was named Pac-12 Defensive Player of the Week following a win against Cal, and Kylan Wilborn, who has also started every game. -- Bonagura
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

So out of 24 starting CBs in the Pac-12, Arizona has the 6th and 7th best CB.

Another surprise is that WSU has the 1st and 3rd best CBs in the Pac-12. Khalil Tate threw for 275 Yards against WSU, which is the most passing yards that WSU has given up this year. Another interesting stat is that Arizona average 11.47 yards/play against WSU, the next highest given up by WSU was 5.64 yards/play against USC. Arizona is ranked 3rd in the nation in yards/play (7.59 yards/play) even with Dawkins led offense doing 4.88, 5.69, and 5.33 against Huston, UTEP, and Utah.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

Man.....what a huge, unexpected, and awesome turnaround of the program....and mostly thanks to Freshman and of course Khalil Tate. Enjoying the ride while I can. BTFD and let’s pull off a monumental upset at Troy!
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Total defense is back in triple digits, now 119/129, barely out of the bottom 10.

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/ ... team/22/p3" target="_blank

Giving up 653 yards to Wazzu and 658 yards to USC will do that.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Merkin wrote:Total defense is back in triple digits, now 119/129, barely out of the bottom 10.

I will take miss interpretation of stats for $800 Alex
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

PHXCATS wrote:
Merkin wrote:Total defense is back in triple digits, now 119/129, barely out of the bottom 10.

I will take miss interpretation of stats for $800 Alex
How on earth do you come to that conclusion machina? Willful ignorance?

We are:
120th in total defense
90th in yards per play on defense
102nd in scoring defense
101st in 3rd down defense

Those are good stats to you apparently...
qwertyus

Post by qwertyus »

Should get a bump facing OrSt at home.

What should be concerning about the defense is how they were manhandled up front, and our secondary got beat often as Darnold scrambled away from weak pressure. Ronald Jones ran wild, and unless we step up our recruiting of DL, we will continue to suffer. Secondary wasn't gashed quite as badly this game, and the pick was nice, but they didn't defend many passes either.

Defense still porous, turnovers are nice, but RR has needed better defensive recruits since he got here. Maybe the 4-man-front defensive scheme will attract more recruits, but I haven't seen much movement yet on this front. Hope that changes.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Recruiting quality DL has been a major issue in the 15 years I've been watching.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Hell of a year so far and still a few games to prove a little more.

Pretty much everything has been better than expected except for special teams. And that is only some areas of special teams.

OLine-Better than anticipated
QB-WAY WAY WAY better than anticipated
WR-Better
RB-Better
TE-WAY better

DL-Improving and getting better
LB-Improving and young studs
Secondary-Better

Heisman hopefully for 2018 and a defense that has improved and been way better than the stats way. A great year so far for sure.

Really hope that the fans respond as the team and coaches deserve for the last home game and senior night, but we all know that wont happen.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

qwertyus wrote:Should get a bump facing OrSt at home.

What should be concerning about the defense is how they were manhandled up front, and our secondary got beat often as Darnold scrambled away from weak pressure. Ronald Jones ran wild, and unless we step up our recruiting of DL, we will continue to suffer. Secondary wasn't gashed quite as badly this game, and the pick was nice, but they didn't defend many passes either.

Defense still porous, turnovers are nice, but RR has needed better defensive recruits since he got here. Maybe the 4-man-front defensive scheme will attract more recruits, but I haven't seen much movement yet on this front. Hope that changes.

The defense was garbage and the DL resembled a Pee Wee football DL. USC’s defense was able to bring the safeties down and shade Tate. 3 starters out and still looked like the Steel Curtain. This is year 6 and people are geeked on mediocrity. Arizona’s OL got schooled. The receivers couldn’t get separation. So bad. Year 6. Tucson isn’t buying it. Attendance is bad. But we can all pretend it’s cool. The 2018 class is underwhelming. But hey.....all’s well in year 6.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Haha, chief really struggling has he loses his grip on public perception.

New coach won't bump attendance. Better start times will. WR's did need seperation but mostly deep where Tate got impatient as he had guys underneath and SC was willing to give that up.

18 class is underwhelming but that is what we get with RR. As
Long as he has his QB, We will win 9 or 10 games. Tough times for our chiefy
Last edited by azcat49 on Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

azcat49 wrote:Haha, chief really struggling has he loses his grip on public perception.

New coach won't bump attendance. Better start times will. WR's did need deportation but mostly deep where Tate got impatient as he had guys underneath and SC was willing to give that up.

Keep believing that. There are more RR detractors right now in the educated fan base. Hell, even Joe Smoe ain’t buying it and going to the games.

I’m not talking about a new coach, I am talking about RR. Mr. 4-13 vs ASU/USC/UCLA and 23-28 in the PAC 12. Year 6.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

RR has to be P12 COY and with a few more wins, have a great shot at National COY.

I think it’s great for the program.
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

Don't think the Cats will sweep last 3 but hope they get ASU.
Finishing 8-4 will get a Nice Bowl, and provide some late recruiting momentum. Just need a few solid bigs on the lines.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

chiefzona wrote:
azcat49 wrote:Haha, chief really struggling has he loses his grip on public perception.

New coach won't bump attendance. Better start times will. WR's did need deportation but mostly deep where Tate got impatient as he had guys underneath and SC was willing to give that up.

Keep believing that. There are more RR detractors right now in the educated fan base. Hell, even Joe Smoe ain’t buying it and going to the games.

I’m not talking about a new coach, I am talking about RR. Mr. 4-13 vs ASU/USC/UCLA and 23-28 in the PAC 12. Year 6.
Keep beating that drum program cancer as you will some day be right. This year though, it appears you are not
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

azcat49 wrote:
chiefzona wrote:

Keep beating that drum program cancer as you will some day be right. This year though, it appears you are not
No one was right this year about the win total. Zero experts. Not even RR was right. So, keep beating that drum and you're wiping out all the experts and the genius HC.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

I should probably ignore you but why do you in addition to RR always go after the media and "experts"?
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

PHXCATS wrote:I should probably ignore you but why do you in addition to RR always go after the media and "experts"?

Because they get paid. They’re the insiders. They were all saying 4-6 wins like everyone else. If Dawkins didn’t get hurt at Colorado....they would’ve been right.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

chiefzona wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:I should probably ignore you but why do you in addition to RR always go after the media and "experts"?

Because they get paid. They’re the insiders. They were all saying 4-6 wins like everyone else. If Dawkins didn’t get hurt at Colorado....they would’ve been right.
Do you attack the asu and usc and ucla and everyone else who was wrong about their teams?

How dare RR play Tate so that he gives the team the best chance to win. How dare he recruit someone who plays well. How dare he improve the defense
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

PHXCATS wrote:
chiefzona wrote:

Do you attack the asu and usc and ucla and everyone else who was wrong about their teams?

How dare RR play Tate so that he gives the team the best chance to win. How dare he recruit someone who plays well. How dare he improve the defense

Have you seen Twitter? HAHA! I get attacked daily. :lol: Many experts are wrong year in and year out and they are smart.....they get paid to be wrong. That's smarter than you or I. The defense looks like Casteel's defenses of yore. Not much has changed except for Tate.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

And if you got paid for your predictions and analysis you would have been wrong as well so your point is?
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

PHXCATS wrote:And if you got paid for your predictions and analysis you would have been wrong as well so your point is?

My point is....I don’t get paid for it. But I don’t gloss shit like they all do either. So, no one goes after them. It’s fun. It’s all over a 23-28 conference record and 4-13 vs ASU/USC/UCLA.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Who cares about the last few years? That has nothing to do with the next three games.

And you are an ignorant hater if you are not seeing defensive improvement
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Chef holds some weird grudge against local “experts who make money off the program.”
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

wyo-cat wrote:
Chef holds some weird grudge against local “experts who make money off the program.”
Because he isn't one and wants to be? Even though he is more wrong than all of them?
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Actually he probably is one now because he was on 1290 before the ucla game and had to have been paid. And we all know that he was exposed on that broadcast
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

PHXCATS wrote:Actually he probably is one now because he was on 1290 before the ucla game and had to have been paid. And we all know that he was exposed on that broadcast

Nope. All free. Oh, I was exposed? Haha. You said you were gonna drop by and say hi and you never did. You rock Machina.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

chiefzona wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:Actually he probably is one now because he was on 1290 before the ucla game and had to have been paid. And we all know that he was exposed on that broadcast

Nope. All free. Oh, I was exposed? Haha. You said you were gonna drop by and say hi and you never did. You rock Machina.
Yeah my ride situation changed due to a birthday.

Will you be around this week? Will come say hi this week for sure if you will be. Tell me what tailgate you will be at or I will tell you the one I will be at.

Can talk RR over a beer or soda or something.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

PHXCATS wrote:
chiefzona wrote:

Will you be around this week? Will come say hi this week for sure if you will be. Tell me what tailgate you will be at or I will tell you the one I will be at.

I’ll be out of town this weekend. Next season for sure.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

chiefzona wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
chiefzona wrote:

Shoot that stinks. Next year for sure. Or if you are coming to the bowl game or the asu game let me know and we will grab a drink before it and talk UA football.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

PHXCATS wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
chiefzona wrote:

Shoot that stinks. Next year for sure. Or if you are coming to the bowl game or the asu game let me know and we will grab a drink before it and talk UA football.
It’ll have to be next season. I appreciate the offer and we will for sure. It sounds fun. Nothing like football talk over a beer.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Arizona ran for 534 yards, a school record, and most in the conference since 1996.
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

7 wins.... I am amazed
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I don't think there is any question that if Tate had been healthy and playing that we would be 9-1 right now. We are clearly the second best teams in the south and if we win the last two and get a holiday bowl bid, well how remarkable would that be
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

azgreg wrote:Arizona ran for 534 yards, a school record, and most in the conference since 1996.
That is amazing but it's no surprise that we can run the ball. We really do need to develop our WRs. I'm not sure how we do that when we attempt 7 passes the entire game.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Alieberman wrote:
azgreg wrote:Arizona ran for 534 yards, a school record, and most in the conference since 1996.
That is amazing but it's no surprise that we can run the ball. We really do need to develop our WRs. I'm not sure how we do that when we attempt 7 passes the entire game.
We got up so big so early that throwing the ball became a liability.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Chicat wrote:
Alieberman wrote:
We got up so big so early that throwing the ball became a liability.
Only 1 pass attempted in the last 42 minutes of the game I believe. Wasn't really important to pass in this one. But generally, I do believe we need to have a reliable passing game, which I have confidence in Tate doing.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

In case you are wondering why we aren't ranked in the AP Poll this week:

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

UAEebs86 wrote:In case you are wondering why we aren't ranked in the AP Poll this week:

Ballots sent out before our game even started. That's something....not sure if funny, sad, pathetic, or a combination of them all....but it's something.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Well POM if you can't personally the fix the problem yourself you're not allowed to complain about it per some posters. So keep it in check!
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

Just wanted to say thanks to all the seniors. They were given a good farewell on Saturday with the W over ntOSU. Would've been nice to have more folks in the house but as JJ put it, "we are here to play the game an W, not to see fans."
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

Current bowl prediction is the Holiday Bowl. Can you believe it? I love San Diego.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Just saw a couple posts on twitter saying Sun Bowl.

El Paso v. San Diego.

Pretty easy choice there.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

After the disaster of last season, any bowl is good.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Merkin wrote:Just saw a couple posts on twitter saying Sun Bowl.

El Paso v. San Diego.

Especially since we've already played in that stadium this year.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

azgreg wrote:
Merkin wrote:Just saw a couple posts on twitter saying Sun Bowl.

El Paso v. San Diego.

Especially since we've already played in that stadium this year.
Washington losing hurt us big time. Assuming 2 loss Pac champ is USC, they'll be in an NY6. That leaves UW, Stanford, Wash St and us to pick between Alamo, Holiday, Sun and Foster Farms...