2017 Arizona Wildcats Football Team.

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

OSUCat

Re: 2017 Arizona Wildcats Football Team.

Post by OSUCat »

Not sure if its the right time to start a coach list thread but still wanted to review some coaches. So I will comment on chiefs list from earlier. Remember RR makes 3 mil a year base salary.

Scott Satterfield - Seems a pure southern guy that would have no interest in Arizona, and no western ties. I would go No. He would be cheap!
Skip Holtz - No connections out west, hasn't really been successful. So No.
Lane Kiffin - I might quit being a Arizona fan if this ever happened!
Rod Carey - On the RR tract with a continual decline with his own guys. No please.
Mike Bobo - could be interested. Would like to see how this season goes for Colorado State.
Ken Niumatalolo - Semi interested, wouldn't win the press conference but seems to be a good solid coach.
Scott Frost - Took a a 0-8 UCF team and turned it around, would likely the press conference. Interesting that he has been both a DC and OC.
Charlie Strong - I think he is a good coach, and likely a very stand up guy. Not sure he would jump after 1 year to Arizona.
Brian Kelly - Not sure how he would do better at Arizona. Probably more of a fall back guy for me.
Brian Polian - mmm na. Not really interested.
Dave Doeren - Average at NC State, was suppose to be a big year for them. Kinda blah for me.
Mike Yurcich - Maybe, but I'm not a big fan of the hot coordinator.
Tee Martin - Maybe, not sure if he will leave USC for Arizona.
Mike Bloomgren - Would like his offense style, but not sure. Would be a new direction.
Lance Anderson - Recruiting coordinator and DC with west coast ties. I might favor this coordinator above all the rest.
Mel Tucker - Not coming to Arizona.
Ruffin McNeill - Not interested
Randy Shannon - Not sure why he would make the move, and what it brings to Arizona.
Derek Mason - Might be my top choice! A defensive minded Arizona Native. 3 mil in salary.
Kevin Sumlin - I wouldn't go for him. A good coach in a bad place.
John Chavis - 60 year old career DC guy. No thanks.
Dave Aranda - Like what I see but would like to see what LSU does this year.
Steve Sarkisian - He seems as greasy as Lane Kiffen, but doesn't turn my stomach over as much. I haven't been impressed with him as a Head Coach.
Tosh Lupoi - Other than being a Alabama Recruiter, don't know anything else. And I do think recruiting at Alabama will be one of the easier recruiting places in the nation.

Not on Chief LIst:
Bryan Harsin - Seems like a good coach at Boise State. I would be interested. (1.6 mil a year). Might keep Yates?
Jason Candle - Midwest guy, but looks to be a good coach.
Mike Norvell - umm...ASU guy....bah. Was a good OC...

My Top 5:

1: Derek Mason (3 mil)
2: Scott Frost (2 mil)
2: Mike Bobo (1.6 mil)
2. Bryan Harsin (1.5 mil)
(Who ever has the better year, and better look forward would be the #2)
4: Lance Anderson
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

MrMeow wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:
azcat49 wrote:RR has never been a players coach. The things I hear about how he treats his players at practice would turn most stomachs.

He does seem to look at them as chattel and runs a tough ship but hey its football. I like the greater cause storyline as I have always saud, "a team with a cause is a formidable opponent" Early on it was why not AZ and hard edge. Now it's just roster turnover
They say you can tell the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him. I happen to believe in that tenet... and (based on feedback from 'little people' in the AD) is a significant factor in my opinions of both RichRod and Sean Miller.

Being arrogant and sucking is a really, really bad combination.
I have always believed in that tenet, and practice it daily without exception. But let me ask you this: do the "little people" in the AD say both RichRod and Miller don't follow that tenet? Do they both not treat others well as a rule? While being arrogant and sucking is a really bad combination, as you say, I'm not sure being arrogant and being successful is any better.
Sorry... I should have clarified, considering I rarely post here any more.

Miller has always treated the 'lower profile' people (at least the few I know) exceptionally well and they have LOVED him since the day he got here.

I don't like self-absorbed arrogant pricks who are successful, either - but I have ZERO patience for those who suck.

I LOVE Sean Miller
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

azcat49 wrote:Well the wins and losses should take care of it Grump, either way. I was hoping for 6 wins but just font see how we win more than 4.

Certainly Joe average fan has spoken about the program

And I agree that the wins and losses should decide it. Making up crap and throwing it against the wall trying to stink the place up more than it already is does no one any good. You should see some of the posts I'm reading on this board. Everything from RR is deliberately tanking the season to oh god if we don't fire him right away we won't recover until 2035. It was making me laugh at first but now its just stupid.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

tgrumpy2 wrote:
azcat49 wrote:Well the wins and losses should take care of it Grump, either way. I was hoping for 6 wins but just font see how we win more than 4.

And I agree that the wins and losses should decide it. Making up crap and throwing it against the wall trying to stink the place up more than it already is does no one any good. You should see some of the posts I'm reading on this board. Everything from RR is deliberately tanking the season to oh god if we don't fire him right away we won't recover until 2035. It was making me laugh at first but now its just stupid.
I mean...that stuff makes a shit ton more sense than wanting to keep RR. At this point posts like yours are the insane out there stupid ones that don't understand reality.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

Harvey Specter wrote:
MrMeow wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:
azcat49 wrote:RR has never been a players coach. The things I hear about how he treats his players at practice would turn most stomachs.

He does seem to look at them as chattel and runs a tough ship but hey its football. I like the greater cause storyline as I have always saud, "a team with a cause is a formidable opponent" Early on it was why not AZ and hard edge. Now it's just roster turnover
They say you can tell the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him. I happen to believe in that tenet... and (based on feedback from 'little people' in the AD) is a significant factor in my opinions of both RichRod and Sean Miller.

Being arrogant and sucking is a really, really bad combination.
I have always believed in that tenet, and practice it daily without exception. But let me ask you this: do the "little people" in the AD say both RichRod and Miller don't follow that tenet? Do they both not treat others well as a rule? While being arrogant and sucking is a really bad combination, as you say, I'm not sure being arrogant and being successful is any better.
Sorry... I should have clarified, considering I rarely post here any more.

Miller has always treated the 'lower profile' people (at least the few I know) exceptionally well and they have LOVED him since the day he got here.

I don't like self-absorbed arrogant pricks who are successful, either - but I have ZERO patience for those who suck.

I LOVE Sean Miller
Nice to hear about Miller. Not so much about RichRod. As to RichRod, I vaguely remember reading how he verbally abused players at Michigan, one in particular, QB Tate Forcier. Perhaps Dick isn't only his first name.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

[/quote]

Nice to hear about Miller. Not so much about RichRod. As to RichRod, I vaguely remember reading how he verbally abused players at Michigan, one in particular, QB Tate Forcier. Perhaps Dick isn't only his first name.[/quote]

Forcier was a chump.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

OSUCat wrote:Not sure if its the right time to start a coach list thread but still wanted to review some coaches. So I will comment on chiefs list from earlier. Remember RR makes 3 mil a year base salary.

Scott Satterfield - Seems a pure southern guy that would have no interest in Arizona, and no western ties. I would go No. He would be cheap!
Skip Holtz - No connections out west, hasn't really been successful. So No.
Lane Kiffin - I might quit being a Arizona fan if this ever happened!
Rod Carey - On the RR tract with a continual decline with his own guys. No please.
Mike Bobo - could be interested. Would like to see how this season goes for Colorado State.
Ken Niumatalolo - Semi interested, wouldn't win the press conference but seems to be a good solid coach.
Scott Frost - Took a a 0-8 UCF team and turned it around, would likely the press conference. Interesting that he has been both a DC and OC.
Charlie Strong - I think he is a good coach, and likely a very stand up guy. Not sure he would jump after 1 year to Arizona.
Brian Kelly - Not sure how he would do better at Arizona. Probably more of a fall back guy for me.
Brian Polian - mmm na. Not really interested.
Dave Doeren - Average at NC State, was suppose to be a big year for them. Kinda blah for me.
Mike Yurcich - Maybe, but I'm not a big fan of the hot coordinator.
Tee Martin - Maybe, not sure if he will leave USC for Arizona.
Mike Bloomgren - Would like his offense style, but not sure. Would be a new direction.
Lance Anderson - Recruiting coordinator and DC with west coast ties. I might favor this coordinator above all the rest.
Mel Tucker - Not coming to Arizona.
Ruffin McNeill - Not interested
Randy Shannon - Not sure why he would make the move, and what it brings to Arizona.
Derek Mason - Might be my top choice! A defensive minded Arizona Native. 3 mil in salary.
Kevin Sumlin - I wouldn't go for him. A good coach in a bad place.
John Chavis - 60 year old career DC guy. No thanks.
Dave Aranda - Like what I see but would like to see what LSU does this year.
Steve Sarkisian - He seems as greasy as Lane Kiffen, but doesn't turn my stomach over as much. I haven't been impressed with him as a Head Coach.
Tosh Lupoi - Other than being a Alabama Recruiter, don't know anything else. And I do think recruiting at Alabama will be one of the easier recruiting places in the nation.

Not on Chief LIst:
Bryan Harsin - Seems like a good coach at Boise State. I would be interested. (1.6 mil a year). Might keep Yates?
Jason Candle - Midwest guy, but looks to be a good coach.
Mike Norvell - umm...ASU guy....bah. Was a good OC...

My Top 5:

1: Derek Mason (3 mil)
2: Scott Frost (2 mil)
2: Mike Bobo (1.6 mil)
2. Bryan Harsin (1.5 mil)
(Who ever has the better year, and better look forward would be the #2)
4: Lance Anderson
I disagree with some things you said and agreed with others. Not too bad.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ASUHATER! wrote:
tgrumpy2 wrote:

I mean...that stuff makes a shit ton more sense than wanting to keep RR. At this point posts like yours are the insane out there stupid ones that don't understand reality.
What? It is extraordinarily likely any decision is after the year is over. Why not let the year play out?

We're unlikely to win a whole lot, but I don't see the point of not allowing the season to play out. It sucks we lost to Houston, but it wasn't like we got hammered. Stoops got fired not just for the losing streak, but also that we were out of it in the first quarter in about every game. Let the season happen.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: What? It is extraordinarily likely any decision is after the year is over. Why not let the year play out?
Easier to get a head coach coach when you don't have one. I'm not sure how the recruiting for HCs works, but you would think that once RR was fired Heeke's phone would be ringing off the hook from agents.

Get a head start on any up and coming coaches, since other programs firing their HC will be going after the same hot coaching prospects.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

All this did was reduce the chance of RR coming back from 25% to 10%.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Merkin wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote: What? It is extraordinarily likely any decision is after the year is over. Why not let the year play out?
Easier to get a head coach coach when you don't have one. I'm not sure how the recruiting for HCs works, but you would think that once RR was fired Heeke's phone would be ringing off the hook from agents.

Get a head start on any up and coming coaches, since other programs firing their HC will be going after the same hot coaching prospects.
I don't think it eases the process. Any hot prospect is going to wait until the offseason. There are always jobs better than Arizona's opening in the offseason. If a candidate is good enough that there's competition, he'll wait to see what is open.

Right now, ASU is likely open, UCLA might be. Moving east, ND, aTm, Tenn, there are a lot of jobs that have much more cache than Arizona that could be open.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Start laying the framework of rr getting let go, put out feelers to coaches.

This is like when free agents sign at 12:01am. Yeah of course you negotiated a free agent deal in one minute.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

NYCat wrote:Start laying the framework of rr getting let go, put out feelers to coaches.

This is like when free agents sign at 12:01am. Yeah of course you negotiated a free agent deal in one minute.
Maybe I'm a pessimist, but any coach signing with Arizona at 12:01 doesn't have many options. Why would an in demand guy not wait to see if a big time job opens and if he has a shot there? Like I said, even ASU may be open in state and would likely draw more interest.

That strategy works better when you have more coaches interested. Again, maybe I'm a pessimist, but what about Arizona drives that interest?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:Right now, ASU is likely open, UCLA might be. Moving east, ND, aTm, Tenn, there are a lot of jobs that have much more cache than Arizona that could be open.
Very true, although I am not sure ASU will be among them. RichRod's buyout was almost $9M before the season, but Toad's was over $14M. With the Sun Devil Stadium upgrades, with a not very healthy AD, not sure how ASU can afford to dump Graham.

UA won't get any hot Power 5 conference properties, but they can get a young up and coming head coach from a smaller program.

UA lost Byrne to a premier athletic program, and ended up getting a new AD from a mid-major. Two of UA's most successful coaches came from Tulane (Larry Smith) and Hawaii (Dick Tomey).
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
NYCat wrote:Start laying the framework of rr getting let go, put out feelers to coaches.

Maybe I'm a pessimist, but any coach signing with Arizona at 12:01 doesn't have many options. Why would an in demand guy not wait to see if a big time job opens and if he has a shot there? Like I said, even ASU may be open in state and would likely draw more interest.

That strategy works better when you have more coaches interested. Again, maybe I'm a pessimist, but what about Arizona drives that interest?
I don't really want an established name who won't have the heart to recruit anyway. It's not like we're getting first dibs any how, we'll get 3rd rate choices like RR when going after someone established.

The young hungry up and comer - who won't get calls from those schools anyway- is my choice. Might as well get started early trying to get a decent recruiting class together.

Give someone a platform to establish themselves like Dick Tomey and Larry Smith did. If we lose them eventually down the line, fine.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Merkin wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:Right now, ASU is likely open, UCLA might be. Moving east, ND, aTm, Tenn, there are a lot of jobs that have much more cache than Arizona that could be open.
Very true, although I am not sure ASU will be among them. RichRod's buyout was almost $9M before the season, but Toad's was over $14M. With the Sun Devil Stadium upgrades, with a not very healthy AD, not sure how ASU can afford to dump Graham.

UA won't get any hot Power 5 conference properties, but they can get a young up and coming head coach from a smaller program.

UA lost Byrne to a premier athletic program, and ended up getting a new AD from a mid-major. Two of UA's most successful coaches came from Tulane (Larry Smith) and Hawaii (Dick Tomey).
I don't disagree on mid-major talent necessarily, but those guys have options. I don't see what makes Arizona an option an up and comer would jump on. Here's how I see the state of our program:

--Depleted roster that will take rebuilding. Definitely not a stacked roster capable of immediate success.
--Definitely bottom half of Pac in terms of facilities and recruiting base, maybe bottom quarter.

I'm not saying we can't score a good coach, but I don't think we offer an opportunity that a coach won't wait to see his options for. I would also think other schools can negatively recruit us pretty easily if we fire midseason. "They are a rebuild, and they fired their last two coaches midseason. What makes you think you'll get a fair shake there?"
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Philip Montgomery
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

We're a G5 team in a P5 conference.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

azgreg wrote:We're a G5 team in a P5 conference.
Sobering Greg but you are spot on :(
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

This has to be the least amount of discussion following a football game I can recall. Apathy is the number one villain to a program.
ProfessorFate

Post by ProfessorFate »

Frank Wilson please.
2023 Football RAP Champion
2022 Mark Schlabach Memorial Bracket Champion
2017 Bear Down Wildcats Survival Pool Champion
CatinVA

Post by CatinVA »

azgreg wrote:This has to be the least amount of discussion following a football game I can recall. Apathy is the number one villain to a program.
I was thinking the same thing...but pretty much everyone has made up their minds on how this season is gonna go, so it's unsurprising.

Personally, I was a little encouraged by the performance. Seems the defense is continuing to show improvement. DFF is a beast. And it was nice to see the offense string drives together. Probably helps Dawkins' confidence a bit heading into PAC12 play.

That said, it was just UTEP, which I think is part 2 to the apathy question on this one. Offensive line needs to man up if we're gonna have any hope next week. But at least we took care of business, and decisively. One game at a time...
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

azgreg wrote:This has to be the least amount of discussion following a football game I can recall. Apathy is the number one villain to a program.
Watching Vanderbilt makes me sad. I saw Mason give encouragement to a player that made a mistake instead of spending the next 2-4 minutes screaming at him.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

OSUCat wrote:
Watching Vanderbilt makes me sad. I saw Mason give encouragement to a player that made a mistake instead of spending the next 2-4 minutes screaming at him.

He'd be a good candidate for Arizona HC.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

chiefzona wrote:
OSUCat wrote:

Why the fuck would someone leave an sec job with unlimited tv contract money and higher exposure to come here

Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Merkin wrote:

I don't think it eases the process. Any hot prospect is going to wait until the offseason. There are always jobs better than Arizona's opening in the offseason. If a candidate is good enough that there's competition, he'll wait to see what is open.

Right now, ASU is likely open, UCLA might be. Moving east, ND, aTm, Tenn, there are a lot of jobs that have much more cache than Arizona that could be open.
I understand and respect the sentiment, but I disagree with it - specifically with the schools you mention.

TN, ND, and aTm all see themselves as 'sleeping Alabama' programs and they will probably swing too hard and miss. Each of them will likely start out targeting established BCS- level guys - and their fan bases believe they deserve a "can't miss" prospect. Barring some unique circumstances, they will not get them - and by the time they move down their list - the most attractive B list options will already be gone.

UCLA is a wildcard... they probably will not have enough $$$ to go after a big name, and they are a tough program to compete with for a coach.

ASU does not scare me... they are in the same sphere as we are.

Strategically, go early and hard at the top of the B list - make a solid offer, give them a timeline to take it or leave it, and let them decide if a bird in hand is worth 2 in the bush. We are attractive enough to get a guy like that if we have an early start and an AD who knows how to sell. Wait until the end of the seasons and compete on a level playing field? We will not have near the leverage to flex (as long as we have a person running the show who knows how to do it).

Mike Stoops was probably the most hot coaching prospect in CFB (outside of established BCS guys) the year we got him. That he did not work out is immaterial - there will never be any guarantees; he was the top of the B list, at a time our program was in MUCH more disarray when he was hired than it is now.

RR was NOT a hot commodity when we got him. I can understand the hire (He was high risk-high reward), but his only other suitor was Tulane. (That is what pisses me off the most about his pursuit of other 2nd tier jobs while he has been here; we gave him a shot when nobody else worth a shit wanted to. In my view, that deserved more loyalty than we have received.

Reciprocating Interest from Florida or Georgia? Understandable & forgivable.

South Carolina or Va Tech? Ummm... not so much.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

ASUHATER! wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
OSUCat wrote:

Why the fuck would someone leave an sec job with unlimited tv contract money and higher exposure to come here
Because not all SEC jobs are created equal. Can Vanderbilt pay well? Sure. Are you likely to succeed there? No, not at all. Vanderbilt has been in the SEC since 1933, since that time they've had one successful coach and that was James Franklin. That's NINE, count them, NINE fricken decades of playing SEC football and they've only had one coach capable of leading them to more than one bowl game. In their entire history of playing football they've never won more than 9 games in a season and I'm sure you can guess which coach pulled that off. Hell even Rich Rod pulled 10 wins at Arizona.

The higher exposure thing does not apply to Vanderbilt btw. Making that argument is dumb. When is the last time you've sat down to watch a fucking Vanderbilt football game regardless of opponent? I mean I know the SEC Network has more national carriage than the Pac 12 Network, but who's really making an effort to watch their matchups on that network outside of a rabid SEC/Vandy fan? Have they ever been on CBS's SEC game of the week? Are they ever on an ESPN that doesn't have a letter or number coming after it?

Look I'm not making the argument he'd leave Vandy for us btw, but someone leaving Vanderbilt for even what someone would consider a lateral move isn't something that'd be out of the ordinary. He's more likely to succeed in the Pac-12 South for instance than he is in the SEC East. I don't think that's a controversial thing to say at all. Whether he stays at Vandy or he takes a job in the Pac-12 or any other major conference he's still a multi-millionaire, so I guess it's up to him if he just wants an extra million a year at the SEC's perennial yearly bottom feeder or if he wants to actually have a chance to win games. Also another thing to consider is Vandy, unlike many other schools, actually has academic standards in regards to the players it recruits and while that works for some schools (Stanford) it's a hindrance to most others. Quite frankly with him being an Arizona guy maybe he'd be a match made in heaven for ASU if they were interested as opposed to us. I'd love to have him though if he'd be interested.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

At this point 4-8 is the ceiling for this team. Can win 2 out of California, Oregon State and ASU...but that's it.

OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

I didn’t think I would enjoy watching this team. I am pleasantly surprise by the defense, and they make it fun to watch.

I thought the Utah game would decide RR fate, now it’s a matter of time.

You have to think Dawkins is also no longer the starter.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I'm encouraged. We're going to be in a lot of games.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

azgreg wrote:I'm encouraged. We're going to be in a lot of games.

Not sure I am a buyer of this sentiment, at least on the road. Our OLine was really outplayed tonight. Our corners struggled against the second worse receiving Corp in the south and Dawkins on the road......

Hope you right Greg but I see some 3 TD defeats coming soon. Maybe even next week
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

I am sick and tired of hearing "this year is a re-boot"? Huh? We have absolutely SUCKED the previous 2 years. Rebuilding happens when you take a step back from great success to invest and build to RETURN to the top.

And if I hear one more time "NEXT year's recruiting class is really SPECIAL" I am going to vomit. Sorry, I be read that book before... we are getting more of the same.

He is a snake oil salesman, and a shitty one. All talk & sizzle, no steak. Focus less on marketing and more on product development.

Sorry, charismatic & engaging as he is, I do not like, trust, or have confidence in the guy. He has glad handed us from the start... is chasing a buck...is in 'full spin cycle mode all the time... and takes no accountability for his miserable failures. And this is not the first time it has happened.

Keep your mouth shut, do your job (well), and EARN the right to stick around. Otherwise, don't let the door hit you on the way back to the broadcast booth. Maybe that is where he belongs, because talking is what he does best.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I was really encouraged by the amount of turnovers

It's going to be a special season
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

Tough to win with 5 turnovers. Has this coaching staff ever developed a QB during their time in an Arizona uniform? How can this staff expect to win a game when they have Dawkins attempt 42 passes and they have developed him as a passer in any way?

Props to the defense. Definitely have been much better since the NAU game. Gave up a total of 341 yards and held Utah 2/10 on 3rd down. I would have expected Arizona won if I just saw those stats.
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

In spite of what a lot of detractors say, this team does have some talent but........ we now played four teams. Two of them were rotten and we won handily. Two of them were decent teams and we lost close games. Both of those losses can be attributed to poor quarterbacking. The defense seems to grow and get better each week but the mistakes on the offensive side of the ball are just to glaring to ignore. That falls directly on the shoulders of the offensive coordinator and the head coach. Dawkins indeed hasn't developed much as a quarterback in four years. My feeling is that if we're going to lose then lose with the new guys that can learn and get better. This team has so many things to be excited about and to root for. Brandon, God bless you, I'm sure you're a fine upstanding young man and I know you're trying but this isn't elementary school anymore and they don't give trophies for participation.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

Harvey Specter wrote:I am sick and tired of hearing "this year is a re-boot"? Huh? We have absolutely SUCKED the previous 2 years. Rebuilding happens when you take a step back from great success to invest and build to RETURN to the top.

And if I hear one more time "NEXT year's recruiting class is really SPECIAL" I am going to vomit. Sorry, I be read that book before... we are getting more of the same.

He is a snake oil salesman, and a shitty one. All talk & sizzle, no steak. Focus less on marketing and more on product development.

Sorry, charismatic & engaging as he is, I do not like, trust, or have confidence in the guy. He has glad handed us from the start... is chasing a buck...is in 'full spin cycle mode all the time... and takes no accountability for his miserable failures. And this is not the first time it has happened.

Keep your mouth shut, do your job (well), and EARN the right to stick around. Otherwise, don't let the door hit you on the way back to the broadcast booth. Maybe that is where he belongs, because talking is what he does best.
Exactly! A smooth talking bullshitter. Makes me think Michigan caught on early and cut him loose before it got too expensive.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Merkin wrote:

The last five head coaches at Arizona came from a variety of ways. Mackovic was the recognizable name getting a second chance. And it was disastrous. Basically a payday for a coach who was way past his prime (if he had a prime). Stoops was the "hot coordinator" hire. And isn't it telling that the only job he's ever had other than working for his brother was at Arizona. Stoops proved with each sideline rant that he isn't head coach material and should stick to being a DC. RR's hire is looking more and more like the Mackovic hire in that it was a payday for a coach who had been out of the game a few years and the last job he had ended terribly. The more I watch RR, the more he reminds me of a cross between Mackovic & Stoops: sideline rants, big payday for an overvalued coach, and a stubborn coaching system that requires superior athletes. And you won't get that at Arizona.

Which brings us to Larry Smith and Dick Tomey. Both were proven winners at lesser programs. Both had worked as assistants under great head coaches. And both got more out of less than any coaches at Arizona.

So the next hire shouldn't be about winning the news conference. The shelf life on that is short. Arizona needs a young coach who has consistently won at lower levels. Arizona needs a coach that has paid his dues as an assistant.

There are plenty of viable candidates. Dino Babers is one that comes to mind. There are certainly others out there in the MAC and non Power 5 conferences who are hungry and waiting for the right opportunity. Hell, Chip Kelly coached in New Hampshire before getting his shot at Oregon.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

I think Yates deserves a chance with what he's done at DC. Maybe even if it is just an interim head coaching job. See if he can do enough to secure the full time job. Maybe see if Donte is willing to take DC.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

UALoco wrote:I think Yates deserves a chance with what he's done at DC. Maybe even if it is just an interim head coaching job. See if he can do enough to secure the full time job. Maybe see if Donte is willing to take DC.

No effing way. Heeke would get tarred and feathered and run outta Tucson in two shakes of Sparks's tail.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

UALoco wrote:I think Yates deserves a chance with what he's done at DC. Maybe even if it is just an interim head coaching job. See if he can do enough to secure the full time job. Maybe see if Donte is willing to take DC.
The guy had a good three week run recruiting kids for us before jumping ship and you want to turn him into a coordinator? What has he accomplished to merit that?
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

When will we find out game times for Colorado and UCLA?
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

scumdevils86 wrote:When will we find out game times for Colorado and UCLA?

Colorado is 5pm Tucson time
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

It is? Says TBD wherever I've looked.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

scumdevils86 wrote:It is? Says TBD wherever I've looked.

Yeah it is. Just announced it.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

I've been using this for years. Keep it on my phone. Never found anything more comprehensive or accurate. Times are central so adjust. It's on there 10/7 at 7pm (5pm AZ), and UofA Athletics site doesn't even have it up yet.

http://lsufootball.net/tvschedule.htm" target="_blank
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

BearDown89 wrote:
I've been using this for years. Keep it on my phone. Never found anything more comprehensive or accurate. Times are central so adjust. It's on there 10/7 at 7pm (5pm AZ), and UofA Athletics site doesn't even have it up yet.

http://lsufootball.net/tvschedule.htm" target="_blank
Yeah I use that every week too. It wasn't on there when I posted my question but was up by the time Chief posted. I just had bad timing.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Arizona is now officially a football school. :o
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

chiefzona wrote:Arizona is now officially a football school. :o

I imagine Dave Heeke is quite regretting leaving a low pressure job like he had at CMU.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Merkin wrote:
chiefzona wrote:Arizona is now officially a football school. :o

I imagine Dave Heeke is quite regretting leaving a low pressure job like he had at CMU.

While Byrne is laughing all the way to the bank.
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

Where I am on the QB situation.

https://zonazealots.com/2017/09/24/ariz ... alil-tate/" target="_blank