2017 Arizona Wildcats Football Team.

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Merkin

Re: 2017 Arizona Wildcats Football Team.

Post by Merkin »

6-6, beats ASU to get into a very low level money losing bowl and he probably stays.

Don't see even doing that well though with this team. Besides a couple of good RBs, and a couple of QBs that can run, there is no passing attack, no defense, and a marginal ST squad. Although there is a new kicker who can kick off out of the end zone.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

I think RR will be let go right after the Oregon game, which will be our 7th loss and, at that point, we cannot have a .500 season.

....but I hope not.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

ASUHATER! wrote:
UALoco wrote:Ha ha, kinda want RR to stay till 2020 to piss off the haters.
By haters you mean every sane person right? I can't think of anyone that's an actual fan that wants to keep living through this dumpster fire of a program. We're inches away from being the next Kansas under RR right now.
By "haters" I mean the folks who never really gave RR a chance. Logical thinking people know RR is on the hot seat after last year but there have been folks calling for RR's outster even before then.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Logical-thinking people would've called for RR's ouster as soon as it was confirmed his coaches were allowed not to recruit.
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Right now, I don't see how RR keeps his job past this season. I think he would have to win at least 7 games AND a killer recruiting class to have a chance. New AD, the money involved (RR and coordinators) is why I see it as bleak for him. I believe the Houston game is the critical game for him early in the year. Then the CAL if UA beats Houston. Vegas puts UA over/under at 5.5 games. I think it's 5 games.

Just don't see Heeke wanting to own making the financial decision to retain RR.

Make the math easier. If RR is fired lets say in December 2017, his buyout would be $4,722,000

You decide to keep RR past this season you now have committed to pay RR at minimum $9,472,000 through March 2020 whether he's at UA or not (terminated). With new AD why take that risk? Use the difference in money to lure another coach that's a coach you picked. Hard to think a new AD would want to take on that heat so early in his tenure.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:Right now, I don't see how RR keeps his job past this season. I think he would have to win at least 7 games AND a killer recruiting class to have a chance. New AD, the money involved (RR and coordinators) is why I see it as bleak for him. I believe the Houston game is the critical game for him early in the year. Then the CAL if UA beats Houston. Vegas puts UA over/under at 5.5 games. I think it's 5 games.

Just don't see Heeke wanting to own making the financial decision to retain RR.

Make the math easier. If RR is fired lets say in December 2017, his buyout would be $4,722,000

You decide to keep RR past this season you now have committed to pay RR at minimum $9,472,000 through March 2020 whether he's at UA or not (terminated). With new AD why take that risk? Use the difference in money to lure another coach that's a coach you picked. Hard to think a new AD would want to take on that heat so early in his tenure.
For me, it depends. If we win 5, but a lot of the L's are close and it looks like we have young talent that can develop, I'd be ok letting RR see another season to move forward and improve.

The injuries don't really hold sway because it's become obvious that a huge part of the issue is our lack of talent. If RR gives an improvement and strong indicators something better is on the way, I think we are fine...at least enough for him to hold onto the job.
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

UALoco wrote:
Gladiator Cat wrote:I don't know if there are any internal issues with the program. I would assume to some extent that every program in the country from small to big have their dark side issues. One of the most glaring issues holding this current program back aside from the poor level of talent in general is the significant number of players that leave the program in the first two years.

I don't have hard data or numbers but its seems pretty high. The feedback loop of lower level talent and consistently high departure rates of young players is a huge problem in this current RR era. Something just doesn't smell right. Who knows.

Personally I think RR has had enough time at the helm. Most all here are looking for another crappy season at 5-7 or 6-6 to save his bacon. I'm not remotely interested in any of that nonsense. RR would need a blow out season next year for me to want to see him back, and I don't think that is coming. But make no mistake I want the team to win, in-spite of the lingering uneasiness that seems to be lurking in the background. I just think new blood is in order.

Essentially this program needs a young, new, hungry, hard working clone of Sean Miller. Some one who eats, sleeps and dreams every minute about football. In Tucson it will take nothing less than that type of effort.

I don't think that that knight in shining armor is around the corner but make no mistake keeping Miller at Arizona for the long haul and hiring a new highly talented football coach is Dave Heeke's greatest challenges that lay ahead. Of course facility funding and massive upgrades are a very close second to the super high talent that must be at the helm to run the football program. Sean Miller is you're blue print for turning the football ship around.

But, sadly there aren't many Sean Millers out there to be had in the football realm.
Sorry to be confrontational glad cat but this is one thing wrong with UA Football fans. It is always compared to bball. They are apples and effin' oranges, two completely different programs on completely different levels, and success in one has absolutely nothing to do with the other(see Duke and UNC Football). We will never get the "Sean Miller" of College Football coaches to come to Tucson. Even though our basketball program was having a tough time when GB got Sean to sign on, it still had a National Championship, a pedigree, a great forum to play, a packed house every night, a strong alumni base in the professional ranks, a national brand name (ZONA), and air conditioning to practice in. The Arizona Football program has absolutely none of that. Crappy stadium, crappy fan base, hot weather, no coastline, no Championships, relatively few pros, and absolutely ZERO sizzle. I don't care what anyone says but any new Football HC is starting from square one so we aren't ever going to attract a "Sean Miller" type. That is why I can give RR some slack. He got Gameday to show up, a P12 Championship, and a Fiesta Bowl, yes it was a fluke, yes we lost all of those games, but at least it happened. He also still gets national coverage, some of it not so great but bad press is better than no press at all, right? Anyways, I know I am a 40 something fan boy but I am willing to give RR the benefit of the doubt for one more year. If he goes 1-5 to start or 0-4 in P12 play, he needs to go. If he does go, we won't get a brand name coach under sixty, let's hope there is an up and comer willing to give AZ Football a chance, but if our fans won't, why should they? Beardown cabrones.
So we'll make this short and sweet Loco. You don't want a Sean Miller clone type personality who just happens to be the most relentless, bad-ass recruiter, hardest working, and top of his peer group as the head man at the helm of the Arizona football program.

Ok then. Got ya.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

Gladiator Cat wrote:
UALoco wrote:
Gladiator Cat wrote:I don't know if there are any internal issues with the program. I would assume to some extent that every program in the country from small to big have their dark side issues. One of the most glaring issues holding this current program back aside from the poor level of talent in general is the significant number of players that leave the program in the first two years.

I don't have hard data or numbers but its seems pretty high. The feedback loop of lower level talent and consistently high departure rates of young players is a huge problem in this current RR era. Something just doesn't smell right. Who knows.

Personally I think RR has had enough time at the helm. Most all here are looking for another crappy season at 5-7 or 6-6 to save his bacon. I'm not remotely interested in any of that nonsense. RR would need a blow out season next year for me to want to see him back, and I don't think that is coming. But make no mistake I want the team to win, in-spite of the lingering uneasiness that seems to be lurking in the background. I just think new blood is in order.

Essentially this program needs a young, new, hungry, hard working clone of Sean Miller. Some one who eats, sleeps and dreams every minute about football. In Tucson it will take nothing less than that type of effort.

I don't think that that knight in shining armor is around the corner but make no mistake keeping Miller at Arizona for the long haul and hiring a new highly talented football coach is Dave Heeke's greatest challenges that lay ahead. Of course facility funding and massive upgrades are a very close second to the super high talent that must be at the helm to run the football program. Sean Miller is you're blue print for turning the football ship around.

But, sadly there aren't many Sean Millers out there to be had in the football realm.
Sorry to be confrontational glad cat but this is one thing wrong with UA Football fans. It is always compared to bball. They are apples and effin' oranges, two completely different programs on completely different levels, and success in one has absolutely nothing to do with the other(see Duke and UNC Football). We will never get the "Sean Miller" of College Football coaches to come to Tucson. Even though our basketball program was having a tough time when GB got Sean to sign on, it still had a National Championship, a pedigree, a great forum to play, a packed house every night, a strong alumni base in the professional ranks, a national brand name (ZONA), and air conditioning to practice in. The Arizona Football program has absolutely none of that. Crappy stadium, crappy fan base, hot weather, no coastline, no Championships, relatively few pros, and absolutely ZERO sizzle. I don't care what anyone says but any new Football HC is starting from square one so we aren't ever going to attract a "Sean Miller" type. That is why I can give RR some slack. He got Gameday to show up, a P12 Championship, and a Fiesta Bowl, yes it was a fluke, yes we lost all of those games, but at least it happened. He also still gets national coverage, some of it not so great but bad press is better than no press at all, right? Anyways, I know I am a 40 something fan boy but I am willing to give RR the benefit of the doubt for one more year. If he goes 1-5 to start or 0-4 in P12 play, he needs to go. If he does go, we won't get a brand name coach under sixty, let's hope there is an up and comer willing to give AZ Football a chance, but if our fans won't, why should they? Beardown cabrones.
So we'll make this short and sweet Loco. You don't want a Sean Miller clone type personality who just happens to be the most relentless, bad-ass recruiter, hardest working, and top of his peer group as the head man at the helm of the Arizona football program.

Ok then. Got ya.
Fact is, AZ Football ain't getting the "Sean Miller" of football coaches.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Not with our lack of fan support which directly impacts our financial shortfalls for an indoor facility and salaries.

What we can actually do us hope to get a good coach who went through some shit that wants a more low pressure job like a Brian Kelly or get the right young guys who will use us as a stepping stone. Do that two times with the right guy maybe the fans will finally truly support the team.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

PHXCATS wrote:Not with our lack of fan support which directly impacts our financial shortfalls for an indoor facility and salaries.

What we can actually do us hope to get a good coach who went through some shit that wants a more low pressure job like a Brian Kelly or get the right young guys who will use us as a stepping stone. Do that two times with the right guy maybe the fans will finally truly support the team.
Look, I disagree with you a lot, but you're right on here. Arizona football could get a Sean Miller. Problem is, we're Xavier basketball, not Arizona basketball. We're the program that a good young coach would build, then leave.

Brian Kelly is the 2017 version of Rich Rodriguez. We're stuck between those two options. That's why, as bad as last year was, I think we always have to be realistic about who we're actually able to hire as a replacement.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Yeah basically were the program that gets the 50 something retread or the youngish coordinator who's in line to get an entry level power 5 job but has never been a head coach. The big name guy or the hot big recruiting young coach probably won't come here
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

ASUHATER! wrote:Yeah basically were the program that gets the 50 something retread or the youngish coordinator who's in line to get an entry level power 5 job but has never been a head coach. The big name guy or the hot big recruiting young coach probably won't come here

You have to think outside of the box. Young asst coach with deep SoCal recruiting ties and relationships who can assemble a decent entourage of assistants while pipelining Poly players. Love of golfing is a plus.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

chiefzona wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:Yeah basically were the program that gets the 50 something retread or the youngish coordinator who's in line to get an entry level power 5 job but has never been a head coach. The big name guy or the hot big recruiting young coach probably won't come here

You have to think outside of the box. Young asst coach with deep SoCal recruiting ties and relationships who can assemble a decent entourage of assistants while pipelining Poly players. Love of golfing is a plus.
Yeah, who will jump to a school like USC(Larry Smith) or Nebraska(Williams) who'll offer a huge raise after they've proven themselves capable. We've seen this movie before, it's called Catch 22.

As a college football fan, I have resigned myself to the fact that AZ football will never be "elite." They might have a good team every decade or so, but that is it. I will just focus on enjoying the experience and looking for incremental improvement. :(
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

UALoco wrote:
chiefzona wrote:

Yeah, who will jump to a school like USC(Larry Smith) or Nebraska(Williams) who'll offer a huge raise after they've proven themselves capable. We've seen this movie before, it's called Catch 22.

As a college football fan, I have resigned myself to the fact that AZ football will never be "elite." They might have a good team every decade or so, but that is it. I will just focus on enjoying the experience and looking for incremental improvement. :(
If the "fans" supported the football team half as much as they do the basketball team, this wouldn't be as much of an issue.

If you hit the right guys who move to bigger things like Xavier did in basketball you will get a Chris Mack eventually who would be the same as going to Alamo and Holiday bowls consistently and a rose every 7 years or so. But it will take time to do that and the fans need to buy in, which they obviously wont for a long time.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

UALoco wrote:
chiefzona wrote:

I don't think it's crazy to see RichRod getting us to the point that we would have made the playoff if we beat Oregon in the P12 championship game as the high water mark of Arizona football. We would have played in a 4 team tournament for the national championship.

That's the thing with RR. Before the slide, he was pretty objectively producing the best results our prgram has ever seen.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
UALoco wrote:
chiefzona wrote:

I don't think it's crazy to see RichRod getting us to the point that we would have made the playoff if we beat Oregon in the P12 championship game as the high water mark of Arizona football. We would have played in a 4 team tournament for the national championship.

That's the thing with RR. Before the slide, he was pretty objectively producing the best results our prgram has ever seen.
I agree with both of you Spaceman and Phxcat. When I tried to make the point the our fanbase wasn't up to the job, there were many on this board who had a thousand excuses and blamed the program. First I heard "we aren't winning", then when we had a couple good seasons I heard "we haven't been winning consistently" or "attendance is down nationally." When it comes to AZ football, there is always an excuse.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Razorsedge on fire in this thread. Change of AD and the incentive math makes RichRod a lame duck this season unless he absolutely kills it. And with this roster he'd need to be Houdini. Or Dick Tomey.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

GoT might be pretty cool, much better than that awful gladiator one from last season.

Nothing will beat that Old Tucson one though.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

where's the suicide smiley for machina's posts? POM?
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

Merkin wrote:GoT might be pretty cool, much better than that awful gladiator one from last season.

Nothing will beat that Old Tucson one though.

Yup, there's the requisite smoke. Where are the mirrors?
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

I think a large part of what type of season this is depends on Miller. If he stays healthy and has a good season, we might win 7. If he cannot stay healthy and have several good games, our ceiling is 4 games. I just don't believe we can be successful without him being a factor because the rest of our linebacker corps is just too young and inexperienced.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

ramcat

Post by ramcat »

OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

Arizona is NOT a stepping stone school. What head coach has been able to use his time at Arizona to get another gig? Northern Illinois, Boise St, Temple, and the type are stepping stone schools. What has really hurt Arizona are coaches that come in with half a foot out the door already, expecting Arizona to be an easy stepping stone. People need to start understanding that power 5 schools are not stepping stones.

What Arizona needs is consecutive successful years that includes not being blown out on national television. RR has taken Arizona to the Pac-12 Championship (blown out bad), and have seen some nasty blow outs on t.v. Its hard to be excited for that......

I expect a mid season (maybe game 7 or 8) fire with Yates being named Interim HC with a few surprising wins (And some talk of just making Yates the HC).
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

OSUCat wrote:Arizona is NOT a stepping stone school. What head coach has been able to use his time at Arizona to get another gig? Northern Illinois, Boise St, Temple, and the type are stepping stone schools. What has really hurt Arizona are coaches that come in with half a foot out the door already, expecting Arizona to be an easy stepping stone. People need to start understanding that power 5 schools are not stepping stones.

What Arizona needs is consecutive successful years that includes not being blown out on national television. RR has taken Arizona to the Pac-12 Championship (blown out bad), and have seen some nasty blow outs on t.v. Its hard to be excited for that......

I expect a mid season (maybe game 7 or 8) fire with Yates being named Interim HC with a few surprising wins (And some talk of just making Yates the HC).
If you are not a stepping stone you have to get good coaches who were fired from bigger schools. At this point Arizona us a stepping stone as are other Power 5 schools. The decent power 5 schools who are experiencing current success with similar hIstories and fan level as Arizona have had coaches who have been fired like Washington State. Exceptions would be a UA alumni. Teddy interested in coaching? Would be a good recruiter.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

OSUCat wrote:Arizona is NOT a stepping stone school. What head coach has been able to use his time at Arizona to get another gig? Northern Illinois, Boise St, Temple, and the type are stepping stone schools. What has really hurt Arizona are coaches that come in with half a foot out the door already, expecting Arizona to be an easy stepping stone. People need to start understanding that power 5 schools are not stepping stones.

Larry Smith says hi.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

It dates me, but Greg, Larry snuck out of Tucson 30 years ago!
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Recruiting is the key element to Arizona's success and rise as a viable football program. Player development is next. Arizona needs a coach that understands and executes both with ferocity. The staff has to all believe in it as well. Arizona's facilities aren't the greatest, but they are good enough to build the program. Arizona needs a coach who doesn't use gimmicks or trick plays or hey diddle diddle up the middle bullshit....or bubblescreens or ZRO's or 3-3-5s. Recruit from the lines out. 3-4 or 4-3 defense and a pro-style offense. Recruit the hell out of SoCal and get the kids who run with top talent and coaching game in and game out. The Arizona football fan base is waiting for a team with no gimmicks and a coach who actually gets it and one who is willing to change with the necessary changes of the game and all it entails.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Puerco wrote:It dates me, but Greg, Larry snuck out of Tucson 30 years ago!
So? OSUCat asked a question and Larry Smith was the correct answer.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Took me over 25 years to get over Smith taking the redeye out of Tucson, after lying to the press about leaving and without saying goodbye to his players.
OSUCat wrote:(And some talk of just making Yates the HC).
No assistants without HC experience! (See Mike Stoops)
No previously fired HCs! (See Mackovic/RichRod)

Just get young hungry HCs at smaller schools. Worked with Dick Tomey (Hawaii) and Larry Smith (Tulane).

Look how well it has worked with the basketball program, where Arizona is a final destination.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Yates is a financial mess and train wreck. He's too much of a yes man and that's why RR hired him. I would have told RR to take a flying leap after he showed his blue print of what he wanted for the defense. He should've just kept Casteel and the plastic curtain. RR has too many yes men. Yates is not HC material like a Ruffin McNeill.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Stepping stone sounds nicer than career killer.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Stepping stone sounds nicer than career killer.
Isn't Dick Tomey the only fired UA coach to get a college HC position elsewhere when he coached SJSU?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Merkin wrote:
Isn't Dick Tomey the only fired UA coach to get a college HC position elsewhere when he coached SJSU?
There's always hope for Mike Stoops, right?
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Merkin wrote:
If that isn't one of the definitions of a current stepping stone job for a power 5 conference I am not sure what is.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

Merkin wrote:Took me over 25 years to get over Smith taking the redeye out of Tucson, after lying to the press about leaving and without saying goodbye to his players.
OSUCat wrote:(And some talk of just making Yates the HC).
No assistants without HC experience! (See Mike Stoops)
No previously fired HCs! (See Mackovic/RichRod)

Just get young hungry HCs at smaller schools. Worked with Dick Tomey (Hawaii) and Larry Smith (Tulane).

Look how well it has worked with the basketball program, where Arizona is a final destination.
I fully agree with you.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

chiefzona wrote:Recruiting is the key element to Arizona's success and rise as a viable football program. Player development is next. Arizona needs a coach that understands and executes both with ferocity. The staff has to all believe in it as well. Arizona's facilities aren't the greatest, but they are good enough to build the program. Arizona needs a coach who doesn't use gimmicks or trick plays or hey diddle diddle up the middle bullshit....or bubblescreens or ZRO's or 3-3-5s. Recruit from the lines out. 3-4 or 4-3 defense and a pro-style offense. Recruit the hell out of SoCal and get the kids who run with top talent and coaching game in and game out. The Arizona football fan base is waiting for a team with no gimmicks and a coach who actually gets it and one who is willing to change with the necessary changes of the game and all it entails.
Man you make it sound easy ;) . Yes, I agree though. I would be interested in a non spread power run game/play action (with FB and TE use).
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Recruiting is not easy at Arizona regardless of the coach. Some make it seem like it is the same difficultly to recruit to every power 5 school.

History, financials, fan support, tradition, facilities all work against Arizona in recruiting, much more than most power 5 schools. All of that has nothing to do with the coach and his staff.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

OSUCat wrote:
chiefzona wrote:Recruiting is the key element to Arizona's success and rise as a viable football program. Player development is next. Arizona needs a coach that understands and executes both with ferocity. The staff has to all believe in it as well. Arizona's facilities aren't the greatest, but they are good enough to build the program. Arizona needs a coach who doesn't use gimmicks or trick plays or hey diddle diddle up the middle bullshit....or bubblescreens or ZRO's or 3-3-5s. Recruit from the lines out. 3-4 or 4-3 defense and a pro-style offense. Recruit the hell out of SoCal and get the kids who run with top talent and coaching game in and game out. The Arizona football fan base is waiting for a team with no gimmicks and a coach who actually gets it and one who is willing to change with the necessary changes of the game and all it entails.
Man you make it sound easy ;) . Yes, I agree though. I would be interested in a non spread power run game/play action (with FB and TE use).
My favorite type of offense. I see you Stanford.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

With 2 really good running backs, and possibly a 3rd with Tilford, to go along with 2 really good at running QBs, I would think the Navy triple option would be a good choice. Get 4 or 5 yards eah run, and just march down the field. Along with giving the D a blow.

Look how well Cal Poly ran the triple option against ASU a couple years ago. Just couldn't keep it up though when you are a head shorter at each position. UA won't have that problem. I work at Poly near the stadium, and the players here are incredibly small compared to what I used to see around the UA csmpus.
Sid

Post by Sid »

I'm curious to know if any of our QB's have gone outside the UofA to attend any camps or worked with a QB coach not affiliated with Arizona during the offseason? Perhaps they have and maybe I missed it....
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Merkin wrote:With 2 really good running backs, and possibly a 3rd with Tilford, to go along with 2 really good at running QBs, I would think the Navy triple option would be a good choice. Get 4 or 5 yards eah run, and just march down the field. Along with giving the D a blow.

Look how well Cal Poly ran the triple option against ASU a couple years ago. Just couldn't keep it up though when you are a head shorter at each position. UA won't have that problem. I work at Poly near the stadium, and the players here are incredibly small compared to what I used to see around the UA csmpus.
If we actually focused on it, we'd probably be one of the top level running teams in the nation this year.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

ASUHATER! wrote:
Merkin wrote:With 2 really good running backs, and possibly a 3rd with Tilford, to go along with 2 really good at running QBs, I would think the Navy triple option would be a good choice. Get 4 or 5 yards eah run, and just march down the field. Along with giving the D a blow.

If we actually focused on it, we'd probably be one of the top level running teams in the nation this year.
We were 19th in rushing offense last year and I think we'll be better at it this year.
ALASKACAT

Post by ALASKACAT »

azgreg wrote:
OSUCat wrote:
My favorite type of offense. I see you Stanford.
I was thinking Iowa with Kirk Ferentz.
ALASKACAT

Post by ALASKACAT »

Maybe Paul Johnson of Georgia Tech is looking for a change of scenery?
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

UALoco wrote:
Gladiator Cat wrote:
UALoco wrote:

Ok then. Got ya.
Fact is, AZ Football ain't getting the "Sean Miller" of football coaches.
Why would Arizona want a HC who cannot figure out how to defend the perimeter and play against the zone? Then gets knocked out by his ex-assistant? If you're coaching at an elite basketball school for this long....this all should have been figured out. Miller is a lot like RR. He feels he doesn't need to change anything....just keeps doing the same things over and over and hoping for better results.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Sid wrote:I'm curious to know if any of our QB's have gone outside the UofA to attend any camps or worked with a QB coach not affiliated with Arizona during the offseason? Perhaps they have and maybe I missed it....

Not that I'm aware of. Dawkins helped out at a camp. They have the greatest QB coach and a QB guru. They don't need anything else. Haha