2017 Arizona Wildcats Football Team.

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Puerco

Re: 2017 Arizona Wildcats Football Team.

Post by Puerco »

chiefzona wrote:
UALoco wrote:
Gladiator Cat wrote:
UALoco wrote:
Gladiator Cat wrote:I don't know if there are any internal issues with the program. I would assume to some extent that every program in the country from small to big have their dark side issues. One of the most glaring issues holding this current program back aside from the poor level of talent in general is the significant number of players that leave the program in the first two years.

I don't have hard data or numbers but its seems pretty high. The feedback loop of lower level talent and consistently high departure rates of young players is a huge problem in this current RR era. Something just doesn't smell right. Who knows.

Personally I think RR has had enough time at the helm. Most all here are looking for another crappy season at 5-7 or 6-6 to save his bacon. I'm not remotely interested in any of that nonsense. RR would need a blow out season next year for me to want to see him back, and I don't think that is coming. But make no mistake I want the team to win, in-spite of the lingering uneasiness that seems to be lurking in the background. I just think new blood is in order.

Essentially this program needs a young, new, hungry, hard working clone of Sean Miller. Some one who eats, sleeps and dreams every minute about football. In Tucson it will take nothing less than that type of effort.

I don't think that that knight in shining armor is around the corner but make no mistake keeping Miller at Arizona for the long haul and hiring a new highly talented football coach is Dave Heeke's greatest challenges that lay ahead. Of course facility funding and massive upgrades are a very close second to the super high talent that must be at the helm to run the football program. Sean Miller is you're blue print for turning the football ship around.

But, sadly there aren't many Sean Millers out there to be had in the football realm.
Sorry to be confrontational glad cat but this is one thing wrong with UA Football fans. It is always compared to bball. They are apples and effin' oranges, two completely different programs on completely different levels, and success in one has absolutely nothing to do with the other(see Duke and UNC Football). We will never get the "Sean Miller" of College Football coaches to come to Tucson. Even though our basketball program was having a tough time when GB got Sean to sign on, it still had a National Championship, a pedigree, a great forum to play, a packed house every night, a strong alumni base in the professional ranks, a national brand name (ZONA), and air conditioning to practice in. The Arizona Football program has absolutely none of that. Crappy stadium, crappy fan base, hot weather, no coastline, no Championships, relatively few pros, and absolutely ZERO sizzle. I don't care what anyone says but any new Football HC is starting from square one so we aren't ever going to attract a "Sean Miller" type. That is why I can give RR some slack. He got Gameday to show up, a P12 Championship, and a Fiesta Bowl, yes it was a fluke, yes we lost all of those games, but at least it happened. He also still gets national coverage, some of it not so great but bad press is better than no press at all, right? Anyways, I know I am a 40 something fan boy but I am willing to give RR the benefit of the doubt for one more year. If he goes 1-5 to start or 0-4 in P12 play, he needs to go. If he does go, we won't get a brand name coach under sixty, let's hope there is an up and comer willing to give AZ Football a chance, but if our fans won't, why should they? Beardown cabrones.
So we'll make this short and sweet Loco. You don't want a Sean Miller clone type personality who just happens to be the most relentless, bad-ass recruiter, hardest working, and top of his peer group as the head man at the helm of the Arizona football program.

Ok then. Got ya.
Fact is, AZ Football ain't getting the "Sean Miller" of football coaches.
Why would Arizona want a HC who cannot figure out how to defend the perimeter and play against the zone? Then gets knocked out by his ex-assistant? If you're coaching at an elite basketball school for this long....this all should have been figured out. Miller is a lot like RR. He feels he doesn't need to change anything....just keeps doing the same things over and over and hoping for better results.
Given that your major problem with RR is his lack of recruiting, you comparing Miller to him is downright laughable. Stick to football, Chief.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Puerco.....nice try. First of all, I see Miller as a B- coach and RR as a D in their respective fields. So, no comparison there. Recruiting in basketball is completely different to recruiting in football. If Arizona is an elite bball school....the school then recruits itself, right? You have to be a good position evaluator as a football coach at Arizona. Miller doesn't have to be that. He just throws calls and letters at stars. Doesn't work that way with Arizona football. Arizona football needs a strong recruiter/evaluator with complete West coast recruiting knowledge and know how. Then know how to develop those players with REAL S&C, coaching, and training. Also, no gimmick schemes or bs ZRO crap that cripples QBs decisions or takes too long to figure out and be competent in. Schemes that are used and known well so players can make quick transitions.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

I don't think chief has ever watched a basketball game in his life.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

I'd love for chief to go up to Coach Miller on one of his many recruiting road trips and tell him to relax, Arizona recruits itself.

Just throw some letters and calls out there Sean!
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

ASUHATER! wrote:I don't think chief has ever watched a basketball game in his life.

I'm a huge NBA fan. I can't stand college bball because the one and dones and AAU have destroyed it IMO.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

UAEebs86 wrote:I'd love for chief to go up to Coach Miller on one of his many recruiting road trips and tell him to relax, Arizona recruits itself.

Just throw some letters and calls out there Sean!

It's an elite bball school with one championship 20 years ago, right. :lol: Sure he recruits his ass off but Arizona is a household name in CBB. So, it's easier to recruit there than it was at Xavier. RR is supposed to recruit his ass off but thinks that if he's the coach then they will come. Haha. Also, bball recruiting is easier because you don't need near as many to field your team unlike football. Hell of a lot more room for misses in football.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

chiefzona wrote:Puerco.....nice try. First of all, I see Miller as a B- coach and RR as a D in their respective fields. So, no comparison there. Recruiting in basketball is completely different to recruiting in football. If Arizona is an elite bball school....the school then recruits itself, right? You have to be a good position evaluator as a football coach at Arizona. Miller doesn't have to be that. He just throws calls and letters at stars. Doesn't work that way with Arizona football. Arizona football needs a strong recruiter/evaluator with complete West coast recruiting knowledge and know how. Then know how to develop those players with REAL S&C, coaching, and training. Also, no gimmick schemes or bs ZRO crap that cripples QBs decisions or takes too long to figure out and be competent in. Schemes that are used and known well so players can make quick transitions.

So tell me this, Why would you make a stupid comparison between two different sports, two different coaches, two different recruiting world that both have nothing in common with each other.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

cordera89 wrote:
chiefzona wrote:Puerco.....nice try. First of all, I see Miller as a B- coach and RR as a D in their respective fields. So, no comparison there. Recruiting in basketball is completely different to recruiting in football. If Arizona is an elite bball school....the school then recruits itself, right? You have to be a good position evaluator as a football coach at Arizona. Miller doesn't have to be that. He just throws calls and letters at stars. Doesn't work that way with Arizona football. Arizona football needs a strong recruiter/evaluator with complete West coast recruiting knowledge and know how. Then know how to develop those players with REAL S&C, coaching, and training. Also, no gimmick schemes or bs ZRO crap that cripples QBs decisions or takes too long to figure out and be competent in. Schemes that are used and known well so players can make quick transitions.

So tell me this, Why would you make a stupid comparison between two different sports, two different coaches, two different recruiting world that both have nothing in common with each other.
Purely for the entertainment value plus a whole lot of substance. I don't like Miller or RR so it was fun.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Of course you don't like either, you're only in love with yourself
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

chiefzona wrote:
cordera89 wrote:

Purely for the entertainment value plus a whole lot of substance. I don't like Miller or RR so it was fun.
So you were just being a douche.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

azcat49 wrote:Of course you don't like either, you're only in love with yourself

No. Just in love with football. Thanks though.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Greg-there's more substance in what I said in just those few posts than most say about both programs because of fear.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Omg, get over yourself
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

chiefzona wrote:Greg-there's more substance in what I said in just those few posts than most say about both programs because of fear.
Jesus what a self involved douche you are. There was no substantive information or ideas in your idiotic breakdown of Miller.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

chiefzona wrote:
cordera89 wrote:

Your self awareness is even more depleted than your critical reasoning & intellect. That's hard to do.

You fancy yourself as an expert in a game for which you would not even command a role as a high school position coach. And you actually believe it.

There are those who can do. Those who can't do, teach. Those who can do neither are oft paid to editorialize or critique, And then there is you, who was blessed with nothing more than an unhealthy imagination and a house full of mirrors that don't work.

I can respect stupidity when mixed with humility; pair it with an arrogant bully and it makes for great sport & spectacle. You should accept it as a blessing... because It prevents you from the tremendous shame and embarassment that anyone with an EQ in top 95% of the population would feel.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

chiefzona wrote:Greg-there's more substance in what I said in just those few posts than most say about both programs because of fear.
Are you still lamely talking about how you are the only one willing to speak truth to power? Might as well tell us how you can throw a ball over those mountains...
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Roflmao, everytime we address chief now we should start with uncle rico. Man I bet he could throw that ball over the catalina's
Last edited by azcat49 on Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Relax fellow posters. :lol: I was messing with Greg. The Uncle Rico thing has already been used. I can't throw a ball 40 yards so that trick pony don't fly. :lol:
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

ASUHATER! wrote:
Jesus what a self involved douche you are. There was no substantive information or ideas in your idiotic breakdown of Miller.

About defending the perimeter, playing against the zone, and getting taken out by his former assistant?
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Chicat wrote:
Are you still lamely talking about how you are the only one willing to speak truth to power? Might as well tell us how you can throw a ball over those mountains...

Not really. But if you do come across some truth to power articles, please post them on here. I'd seriously like to read them. I'm guessing you'll have to wait until mid October for them.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Harvey Specter wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
cordera89 wrote:

Your self awareness is even more depleted than your critical reasoning & intellect. That's hard to do.

You fancy yourself as an expert in a game for which you would not even command a role as a high school position coach. And you actually believe it.

There are those who can do. Those who can't do, teach. Those who can do neither are oft paid to editorialize or critique, And then there is you, who was blessed with nothing more than an unhealthy imagination and a house full of mirrors that don't work.

I can respect stupidity when mixed with humility; pair it with an arrogant bully and it makes for great sport & spectacle. You should accept it as a blessing... because It prevents you from the tremendous shame and embarassment that anyone with an EQ in top 95% of the population would feel.

You put way too much thought into that. I wouldn't give myself that much credit boss. That degree looks like it came in handy. I'd like to see that much thought put into a football take. I'll wait for it. Remember....Im just a poster like you....no need to over think things.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

chiefzona wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:I don't think chief has ever watched a basketball game in his life.

I'm a huge NBA fan. I can't stand college bball because the one and dones and AAU have destroyed it IMO.
Get off Chief's lawn.

MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

chiefzona wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
cordera89 wrote:

You put way too much thought into that. I wouldn't give myself that much credit boss. That degree looks like it came in handy. I'd like to see that much thought put into a football take. I'll wait for it. Remember....Im just a poster like you....no need to over think things.
I agree. Talk about taking oneself too seriously! Get over yourself, Harvey, and skip Chief's posts if you object to them. You put way too much effort into that meaningless, bullshit post. You might try putting equal effort into the subject at hand, UofA football.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

ChooChooCat wrote:
chiefzona wrote:

Get off Chief's lawn.

Not my blog, not my lawn. It's hard to connect with these CBB stars when we all know they're out the door after the season ends. Football is much different and the NBA has contracts and story lines.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

chiefzona wrote:
Chicat wrote:

Not really. But if you do come across some truth to power articles, please post them on here. I'd seriously like to read them. I'm guessing you'll have to wait until mid October for them.
Like all the Coaching Hot Seat articles? Let me know if you have trouble using Google.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Chicat wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
Chicat wrote:

Like all the Coaching Hot Seat articles? Let me know if you have trouble using Google.

Arizona media. People who make money from the program.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Either spill it or shut the fuck up Chief
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

PHXCATS wrote:Either spill it or shut the fuck up Chief

Spill what? Are you off your meds? If you don't understand, ask. Shytown is picking up what I'm putting down.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

chiefzona wrote: Also, bball recruiting is easier because you don't need near as many to field your team unlike football. Hell of a lot more room for misses in football.
Surprised no one caught the back to back contradicting statements. If football has a lot more room for misses than how is basketball recruiting easier? Because its easier to get 5 to 6 good players versus 22 good players? Well, that is a very short cited statement. In football you can hide the deficiencies of your players because there are more players on the field than in basketball. Additionally, one miss in basketball recruiting can cause 1 or 2 years of problems. In football you need a handful or more misses to have the same issue.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

chiefzona wrote:Why would Arizona want a HC who cannot figure out how to defend the perimeter and play against the zone? Then gets knocked out by his ex-assistant? If you're coaching at an elite basketball school for this long....this all should have been figured out.
You do know that no coach in NCAA basketball would be considered elite by your meter. Because in any given year they will have these problems. I mean even Duke basketball plays a Arizona football prevent type defense.
Last edited by OSUCat on Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

So, I am in the full "RR is gone" and have tried to look around for possible replacement coaches that fit what Merkin described earlier. I'm having a hard time finding any coach this year that really fits it. Any thoughts? I know might be to early, but hey I'm trying to stay interested in Arizona Football over the summer.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

OSUCat wrote:So, I am in the full "RR is gone" and have tried to look around for possible replacement coaches that fit what Merkin described earlier. I'm having a hard time finding any coach this year that really fits it. Any thoughts? I know might be to early, but hey I'm trying to stay interested in Arizona Football over the summer.
Phillip Montgomery from Tulsa

Wildcard that could be a total train wreck but could be amazing based on his X's and O's and personality and ability to adapt, Kevin Guy from the Arizona Rattlers.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Greg Schiano would also be a name I would like. NFL experience would help get guys who could actually play in it one day.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

OSUCat wrote:
chiefzona wrote:Why would Arizona want a HC who cannot figure out how to defend the perimeter and play against the zone? Then gets knocked out by his ex-assistant? If you're coaching at an elite basketball school for this long....this all should have been figured out.
You do know that no coach in NCAA basketball would be considered elite by your meter. Because in any given year they will have these problems. I mean even Duke basketball plays a Arizona football prevent type defense.

Not every single year. It's Sean's Achilles Heel.
qwertyus

Post by qwertyus »

chiefzona wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
chiefzona wrote:

Get off Chief's lawn.

Not my blog, not my lawn. It's hard to connect with these CBB stars when we all know they're out the door after the season ends. Football is much different and the NBA has contracts and story lines.
"Not my blog".

Is that your new catchphrase? I don't see many trolls on this site, but there's nothing worse than an oblivious, arrogant one. Especially when said troll trashes the school non-stop, while claiming to be a supporter with *secret knowledge*...

You've got some exceptional baiting skills, but I for one am done. Make sure you don't spend too much time shitposting here. Like you say, it's not your blog.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

chiefzona wrote: <pointless drivel removed for the sake of the board>
How are you coming on your own forum? Look forward to you posting somewhere else.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

PHXCATS wrote:
OSUCat wrote:So, I am in the full "RR is gone" and have tried to look around for possible replacement coaches that fit what Merkin described earlier. I'm having a hard time finding any coach this year that really fits it. Any thoughts? I know might be to early, but hey I'm trying to stay interested in Arizona Football over the summer.

Wildcard that could be a total train wreck but could be amazing based on his X's and O's and personality and ability to adapt, Kevin Guy from the Arizona Rattlers.

Name your top 5.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

PHXCATS wrote:

Do you think X's and O's have been the problem with Arizona football? Ability to adapt to what exactly? Doesn't RR have a good personality?
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Who's your top 5 if you're AD?
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

So you admit RR is a good coach when it comes to play calling and game plans.

I think if there isn't a winning record a change is best, although RR has a great personality I think it applies more to older fans and parents not teenagers like I think Guy would appeal to them.

Adapt to new rules and turnover of the roster and changing game plans based on what the opponent is doing.

I already gave my top 2 that I think UA could get and my wildcard. I would have to wait to the season gets going for more group of five of fcs head coaches or power five coordinators I like who UA could get.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

PHXCATS wrote:So you admit RR is a good coach when it comes to play calling and game plans.

I think if there isn't a winning record a change is best, although RR has a great personality I think it applies more to older fans and parents not teenagers like I think Guy would appeal to them.

Adapt to new rules and turnover of the roster and changing game plans based on what the opponent is doing.

I already gave my top 2 that I think UA could get and my wildcard. I would have to wait to the season gets going for more group of five of fcs head coaches or power five coordinators I like who UA could get.

No. He's good with his high school offensive scheme that would work for Navy. PAC 12 requires passing. A 18- 26 record against the PAC isn't cutting it. He thinks his offense is the best defense and he has been proven wrong over and over again.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

chiefzona wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:So you admit RR is a good coach when it comes to play calling and game plans.

No. He's good with his high school offensive scheme that would work for Navy. PAC 12 requires passing. A 18- 26 record against the PAC isn't cutting it. He thinks his offense is the best defense and he has been proven wrong over and over again.
There is actually much more correlation between division winners in the PAC and rushing yards both total yards and yards per rush that passing yards or yard per attempt.

But don't worry about facts.

Who is your top 5 big guy?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Rating Miller as a B- and RR as a D is one of the stronger arguments from RR I've heard in a while.

If you're that clueless about Miller and rate him down for...? maybe RR is better than I give him credit for.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Rating Miller as a B- and RR as a D is one of the stronger arguments from RR I've heard in a while.

If you're that clueless about Miller and rate him down for...? maybe RR is better than I give him credit for.
Miller has yet to show anyone that he ranks among the elite. I believe he is a good coach but needs to be better in the areas he is lacking. I think he can win a natty and be elite. RR does some things very well like he did in the Big East but is not a good Power 5 HC because his weaknesses are glaring. I think he would make a good OC. Might be Saban's next OC.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Still waiting on your top five big guy.

And is RR to Alabama as OC your big secret?

chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

PHXCATS wrote:
chiefzona wrote:

There is actually much more correlation between division winners in the PAC and rushing yards both total yards and yards per rush that passing yards or yard per attempt.

But don't worry about facts.

Who is your top 5 big guy?
Facts are that the PAC 12 is known for being a passing league with top QBs. You have to mix the two well. Arizona does not fit that mold with RR and Arizona is 3-11 against USC, UCLA, and ASU. That's pathetic.

I have quite a few candidates for the next Arizona HC position.

Scott Satterfield
Skip Holtz
Lane Kiffin
Rod Carey
Mike Bobo
Ken Niumatalolo
Scott Frost
Charlie Strong
Brian Kelly
Brian Polian
Dave Doeren
Mike Yurcich
Tee Martin
Mike Bloomgren
Lance Anderson
Mel Tucker
Ruffin McNeill
Randy Shannon
Derek Mason
Kevin Sumlin
John Chavis
Dave Aranda
Steve Sarkisian
Tosh Lupoi

Top 5:

Tee Martin
Ruffin McNeill
Derek Mason
Mel Tucker
Scott Frost
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

I would like Tee Martin,

Ruffin at East Carolina was similar to RR at Arizona and Conference USA is way lower than the PAC 12.

Would be nice for an Arizona guy to coach here but Mason is 5-19 in the SEC. That is okay with you but 18-26 in the PAC isnt?

Mel Tucker is interesting as is Scott Frost, but I worry about Frost as Oregon seemed to be all Chip Kelly and Chip Kelly residual when they were successful.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

PHXCATS wrote:I would like Tee Martin,

Ruffin at East Carolina was similar to RR at Arizona and Conference USA is way lower than the PAC 12.

Would be nice for an Arizona guy to coach here but Mason is 5-19 in the SEC. That is okay with you but 18-26 in the PAC isnt?

Mel Tucker is interesting as is Scott Frost, but I worry about Frost as Oregon seemed to be all Chip Kelly and Chip Kelly residual when they were successful.

My top 5 can recruit on the west coast. Ruffin was a good HC and made solid assistant hires. He could walk on a HS campus in SoCal and kids would listen. He's very persuasive.

Mason is from Phoenix and was a CB at NAU. He also coached at Mesa CC. He has his hands tied behind his back at Vandy. So tough to win there. He did great recruiting and coaching at Stanford. I think he would love to come home. I could see him owning Arizona in recruiting and doing VERY well in Cali.

Mel Tucker is primed for a HC position and he has learned a lot in the NFL and under Kirby Smart. Good defensive coach who is 45 and would bring good assistants.

Scott Frost is a solid OC and an awesome west coast recruiter. Best of the bunch in that regard along with Tee.

Tee could walk into most HS and the recruits would listen. Awesome recruiter and could assemble good assistants.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

chiefzona wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Miller has yet to show anyone that he ranks among the elite. I believe he is a good coach but needs to be better in the areas he is lacking. I think he can win a natty and be elite. RR does some things very well like he did in the Big East but is not a good Power 5 HC because his weaknesses are glaring. I think he would make a good OC. Might be Saban's next OC.
This is a terrible take on Miller. Having a predicate requirement of a natty to be elite just doesn't work in basketball. Was Roy Williams not elite at Kansas? Is Kevin Ollie elite?

Saying he needs to improve on weaknesses is the least probing take ever. It starts with presumed weaknesses and then simply says he needs to get better in those areas.

Even your take on RR is silly. You dismiss WVa, then ignore that he has a higher winning percentage here than the average w/l% in program history. I've repeatedly talked about his program heading in the wrong direction, but he's actually produced better than average results even with the disaster last year. Plus, he took over after the Stoops losing jag, so it isn't exactly like he took over a situation where it was all going swimmingly.