2017 Arizona Wildcats Football Team.

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

RazorsEdgeAZ

Re: 2017 Arizona Wildcats Football Team.

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

RR did use the best "walk-on" program line again. Not that it matters much but he used it in responding to a reporter asking him about having lots of PHX area players on his roster and seemingly a high-number of walk-on players that contribute. RR response was players are so spread out in AZ, although most of them concentrated in PHX and thus the best walk-on program
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Not to get into politics here, but RichRod is a Trump supporter and now he talks like Trump.

Seems to me more lack of talent on the current squad so the newscomers needs to play, ready or not.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

[quote="Merkin"]Not to get into politics here, but RichRod is a Trump supporter and now he talks like Trump.

Seems to me more lack of talent on the current squad so the newscomers needs to play, ready or not.
[/quote

To tiptoe through the politics door you so nicely opened (and thank you for the info), this post tells me everything I need to know about RichRod. Send the MFer packing .... back to W. Virginia - anywhere. Get him out of here. His dismal record is one thing, but this?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Black helmet?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Zack Rosenblatt is reporting that Noah Jefferson (USC transfer) won't be a Wildcat but Dereck Boles (JC d-lineman) will be.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Chicat wrote:Zack Rosenblatt is reporting that Noah Jefferson (USC transfer) won't be a Wildcat but Dereck Boles (JC d-lineman) will be.

Yep
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Who cares if he is a trump supporter? Why does that matter at all?
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

PHXCATS wrote:Who cares if he is a trump supporter? Why does that matter at all?
It matters to me.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

threenumberones wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:Who cares if he is a trump supporter? Why does that matter at all?
It matters to me.
Why? If Miller is does it matter to you? Will you boycott Arizona Basketball if Miller donated to the Trump Campaign? Will you not allow U of A to interview a trump voter or supporter if they fire RR?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Chicat wrote:Zack Rosenblatt is reporting that Noah Jefferson (USC transfer) won't be a Wildcat but Dereck Boles (JC d-lineman) will be.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Boles is apparently a 2 star with directional school offers?

http://247sports.com/Player/Dereck-Boles-38385" target="_blank

3 star out of HS signed with BSU

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/foot ... erek-boles" target="_blank
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

He can't be an Arizona D lineman, he isn't 247 lbs.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Did JJ catch any passes out of the backfield last year?
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

azgreg wrote: Did JJ catch any passes out of the backfield last year?
2 Receptions for 16 yards
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

PHXCATS wrote:
threenumberones wrote:
It matters to me.
Why? If Miller is does it matter to you? Will you boycott Arizona Basketball if Miller donated to the Trump Campaign? Will you not allow U of A to interview a trump voter or supporter if they fire RR?
Only reason to boycott Arizona Basketball is if Miller doesn't pay Phoenix the proper reverence. Know what I'm sayin'?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Chicat wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
threenumberones wrote:
It matters to me.
Only reason to boycott Arizona Basketball is if Miller doesn't pay Phoenix the proper reverence. Know what I'm sayin'?
I really hope machina/phxcats is able to convince the new AD to relocate Arizona Stadium to around Indian School and 56th St in the Arcadia neighborhood of Phoenix. It is really the only thing that will save AZ football and bring us to prominence.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Merkin wrote:Not to get into politics here, but RichRod is a Trump supporter and now he talks like Trump.

Look, if Russia can give us some depth, we can't really afford to be choosy at this point. We need to take the meeting.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

PHXCATS wrote:
I kinda like the idea of getting him the ball out in space.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Chicat wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
threenumberones wrote:
It matters to me.
Sucks the team and staff isn't available to fans in the valley like before but if Miller doesn't want to make himself and the team available then geeat. Go win and prepare yourself and the team the beat you can to do so.

What doesn't make sense is why it matters who coached support politically. If you only want to hire potential coaches who are democrats you limit yourself greatly and I really hope the AD doesn't think about that at all unless the activities are illegal.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

In before lock
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

azgreg wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
I kinda like the idea of getting him the ball out in space.
I do too. Can really make a lot of things happen out there.
Sid

Post by Sid »

Really....my reply gets deleted? Must not be a "safe place" I guess

Cheers.

:D
Last edited by Sid on Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

PHXCATS wrote:
Chicat wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
threenumberones wrote:
It matters to me.
Sucks the team and staff isn't available to fans in the valley like before but if Miller doesn't want to make himself and the team available then geeat. Go win and prepare yourself and the team the beat you can to do so.

What doesn't make sense is why it matters who coached support politically. If you only want to hire potential coaches who are democrats you limit yourself greatly and I really hope the AD doesn't think about that at all unless the activities are illegal.
I'm hoping Kid Rock is elected to Congress. That way, he can push for a national holiday to remember Joe C, his little person sidekick. Arizona can then refuse to honor Joe C's day of remembrance, and Phoenix can actually not be super embarassed when the Super Bowl has to get moved over another holiday denial.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

Merkin wrote:Not to get into politics here, but RichRod is a Trump supporter and now he talks like Trump.

Yup. I sure would rather have him say "This is the best team since I've been here," versus "hey these new kids are starting...must mean they are good right?" But hey, what else do I expect him to say, "25 new kids have to play because the coaches and I have really fecked up recruiting these past 5 years."

I hope one of those 25 is not Junior, but I'm not holding my breath.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

I forgot to ask, did he say "We believe we have two starting QBs" this year? Or something like "We have a 10 man competition for qb?"
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

Sid wrote:Really....my reply gets deleted? Must not be a "safe place" I guess...

I genuinely have no desire to turn this fine forum into a political debate. I will say however, that fucking Trump deserves to be behind bars!

Cheers.

Based on this post Sid, if an earlier response was deleted, I'm sure someone is trying to tell you that if you have political issues, you should go fuck yourself with them somewhere else. I kind of second that feeling. I can go listen to CNN and Fox go at it if I want to read that nonsense.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

:lol:

Such sensitive souls around here. That's precious.

Where's Bangkok?
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

OSUCat wrote:I forgot to ask, did he say "We believe we have two starting QBs" this year? Or something like "We have a 10 man competition for qb?"

He said what he has said every year during this time of year. It's a broken record and some fall for it every time as if it were the first time that he has said it.
Sid

Post by Sid »

tgrumpy2 wrote:
Sid wrote:Really....my reply gets deleted? Must not be a "safe place" I guess...

I genuinely have no desire to turn this fine forum into a political debate. I will say however, that fucking Trump deserves to be behind bars!

Cheers.

Based on this post Sid, if an earlier response was deleted, I'm sure someone is trying to tell you that if you have political issues, you should go fuck yourself with them somewhere else. I kind of second that feeling. I can go listen to CNN and Fox go at it if I want to read that nonsense.
Yep, I agree. I thought I expressed my (deleted) opinion on bringing that shit over here quite nicely. Must have touched a nerve, oh well. Nicely done with the edit mods, that's some funny shit. Now let's get back to discussing football, it's getting close to JJ time....can't wait!
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

chiefzona wrote:
OSUCat wrote:I forgot to ask, did he say "We believe we have two starting QBs" this year? Or something like "We have a 10 man competition for qb?"

He said what he has said every year during this time of year. It's a broken record and some fall for it every time as if it were the first time that he has said it.
RichRod is obviously pandering to his base. It's a distraction, his job is on the line. Just as obviously a lot of his base is really dumb.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

chiefzona wrote:

Falling for what exactly? Maybe he does think two guys are good?

No one is expecting a south title this year, just some improvement from last year.

Also besides Foles, when has the qb play been better at Arizona than under RR?

Or are people just upset because RR supports Trump now?
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Publicly, at a Media day event, I heard a different RR. He still was selling the program (that's his job) at this type of event. Harder to do when your team got the least amount of Media votes in entire league and coming off a season where you only won 1 league game. But he has to try and do.

But I heard (maybe I'm looking for) RR begin to lay some groundwork reasons (excuses) IF he were to get fired on why it didn't work out.

Money, multiple times he said UA has to be willing and has to spend money on the program. He dropped in UA now has a new Prez and AD and new start. Multiple times that it's hard[er] to recruit to Tucson. Used to be only if we can get a recruit to Tucson, we close many of them. Yesterday "it’s not easy to recruit to Arizona" and Money. The whole "reboot" thing. Many reasons with that high of a number on roster and not just about outgoing Seniors or why 25 new could play this year. The money and invest in a program is the main reason he eventually bolted from WV (because he could). It was all centered on dispute that WV needed to do more the investments RR wanted and the school wasn't willing[couldn't] to do. That was RR's public outcry on why he left.

I'm not saying RR completely wrong or wrong at all. Just that he was clearly public about it at a media day event. Of course those aren't the only reasons why the program dropped off the cliff ever since the 2014 Fiesta Bowl. Even RR tried to leave in 2015. That had to leave a mark and have a morale/recruiting impact. UA is 4-14 in league play since then. Recruiting definitely, Recruiting Pac12 level/size recruits to commit to his schemes. Even Wanting Pac12 size recruits for your schemes. RR says recruiting also led to "this" and on him, but he's been saying that for couple years now. Defense always bad, but the Offense has dropped off even more since then (RR's side of the ball) etc. etc.

I'm suggesting RR makes it harder to Recruit to Arizona than it needs to be. Hard enough already.

Win 7 games and all this could be swept under the carpet (to buy more time)
Last edited by RazorsEdgeAZ on Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:21 am, edited 3 times in total.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

PHXCATS wrote: No one is expecting a south title this year, just some improvement from last year.
Only improvement from last year:

1. RBs - assuming Wilson and Taylor can stay healthy
2. ST - assuming kicking on an empty practice field translates to game ability. At least kickoffs should be good.
3. OL - solid and experienced
4. Position coaching - Experience, with some new young blood.

Worse:

1. WRs - only Shun Brown returns from the top 4 receivers. Maybe Poindexter can finally get it going if he can stay healthy. No QB to get them the ball.
2. QBs - Anu gone, the only passing QB on the team
3. LB - Top 5 from last year gone or injured
4. DL - Still too small. Maybe not worse, but about the same which was pretty bad.
5. HC - RichRod seems discouraged and seems like he wants to be somewhere else, like the broadcast booth with a $8M check from the UA.
6. Recruiting - See #5
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Merkin wrote:
PHXCATS wrote: No one is expecting a south title this year, just some improvement from last year.
Only improvement from last year:

1. RBs - assuming Wilson and Taylor can stay healthy
2. ST - assuming kicking on an empty practice field translates to game ability. At least kickoffs should be good.
3. OL - solid and experienced
4. Position coaching - Experience, with some new young blood.

Worse:

1. WRs - only Shun Brown returns from the top 4 receivers. Maybe Poindexter can finally get it going if he can stay healthy. No QB to get them the ball.
2. QBs - Anu gone, the only passing QB on the team
3. LB - Top 5 from last year gone or injured
4. DL - Still too small. Maybe not worse, but about the same which was pretty bad.
5. HC - RichRod seems discouraged and seems like he wants to be somewhere else, like the broadcast booth with a $8M check from the UA.
6. Recruiting - See #5
I will agree WR is a concern but RR has always been able to get quality play out of WR even with few big names coming in (Griffey and Jones are all I think we're big namescoming in)

How can QB play not improve with more experience for the younger guys and a guy everyone wanted in the nation once he gets back in the swing of football which I think will be October?

LB concern there but usually you only have 2 on the field with Yates I believe.

DL should improve with more experience and a JC transfer and a decent freshman or two.

HC and recruiting. Do you know how hard it is to recruit at Arizona for football, facilities, fans, coaches, NFL tradition, college tradition, finances all work against Arizona. So besides a lack of recruiting in your eyes and also in your eyes he is a Trump guy why do you think he doesn't want to be here? He knows he is coaching for his last power 5 deal ever probably, shouldn't it be expected he will try harder and smarter?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

We have some of the best facilities in the conference and overall in the nation right now so that isn't an excuse
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

WSU has to be much harder to recruit to. Just awful weather, women aren't near as hot, substandard facilities, middle of frickin' nowhere, poor academics and so on.

Yet Mike Price took 2 teams to the Rose Bowl and put 5(?) QBs into the NFL in the PAC-10 era when UA didn't put any in.

Now look how well the Pirate is doing. Luke Falk may be a first round draft pick.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ASUHATER! wrote:We have some of the best facilities in the conference and overall in the nation right now so that isn't an excuse
Conference, maybe. Nation...let's not get crazy. Every SEC school but one has a full size indoor practice field. Even in the conference, Oregon and UW dwarf us.

That isn't an excuse for RR, though. Arizona isn't getting Oregon/Alabama, etc level money for football, and it never will. We have good facilities for our relative place in the CFB world. We sure don't have last place facilities, but we were last in the Pac.

Facilities are reasonably an excuse for why we aren't a juggernaut, but not for last place finishes and 3 win seasons.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

ASUHATER! wrote:We have some of the best facilities in the conference and overall in the nation right now so that isn't an excuse
No WE don't. Arizona doesn't have an indoor facility, doesn't have a lot of things that the Oregon Washington Stanford and asu have. It is a reason why it is harder to recruit to Arizona.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Merkin wrote:WSU has to be much harder to recruit to. Just awful weather, women aren't near as hot, substandard facilities, middle of frickin' nowhere, poor academics and so on.

Yet Mike Price took 2 teams to the Rose Bowl and put 5(?) QBs into the NFL in the PAC-10 era when UA didn't put any in.

Now look how well the Pirate is doing. Luke Falk may be a first round draft pick.
He is doing better than Rich Rod that is for sure in developing his guys. But per Rivals UA has recruited better than WSU every year.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Just remember when you dont go to games but want UA Football to do well, UAB has an indoor facility and Arizona doesnt
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

At a minimum, UA should have an indoor practice facility similar to ASU's, very low cost compared to what the SEC has.

PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Merkin wrote:At a minimum, UA should have an indoor practice facility similar to ASU's, very low cost compared to what the SEC has.

Exactly, need something indoors at a minimum. Doesnt need to be state of the art Ohio State or Michigan or Alabama right now.

From my quick research, Arizona is the only PAC-12 team that doesn't have an indoor facility currently or being built/planned

Pathetic
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

LOL at RR selling his 50 new guys. 25 whom no one in the nation wanted.

Going to enjoy the year and root hard for the kids. Either way we win.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Aside from the CA schools, Miami was the only other P5 school (& UA) without an indoor practice facility. Miami just broke ground on theirs couple months ago. Although Mark Richt donated $1M of his own money to get pledges started.

Separation of facilities will only widen with the mid-to-lower half ($$, boosters) of Pac and the SEC and B1G for next decade and a new Pac TV contract. The gap between every school in SEC and B1G is so large now (last 2 years) and will continue to widen until then.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azcat49 wrote:LOL at RR selling his 50 new guys. 25 whom no one in the nation wanted.
With scholies capped at 25 per year, how does RichRod get 50 new guys? 25 true freshmen, and 25 coming off redshirts?

Is he really going to play more than 4 or 5 true freshmen? Besides the kicker, WR, LB and Tilford any impact freshmen left?

Hate to blow their redshirt year by playing just a few downs, then have to sit out next year when they transfer when RichRod gets fired. Assuming anyone wants them.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Merkin wrote:
azcat49 wrote:LOL at RR selling his 50 new guys. 25 whom no one in the nation wanted.
With scholies capped at 25 per year, how does RichRod get 50 new guys? 25 true freshmen, and 25 coming off redshirts?

Is he really going to play more than 4 or 5 true freshmen? Besides the kicker, WR, LB and Tilford any impact freshmen left?

Hate to blow their redshirt year by playing just a few downs, then have to sit out next year when they transfer when RichRod gets fired. Assuming anyone wants them.

Walk ons are a big part of that number.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

UAEebs86 wrote:
Merkin wrote:

Walk ons are a big part of that number.
Good call Eebs. "Best walk on program in the country". :roll:
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

PHXCATS wrote:
chiefzona wrote:

Falling for what exactly? Maybe he does think two guys are good?

No one is expecting a south title this year, just some improvement from last year.

Also besides Foles, when has the qb play been better at Arizona than under RR?

Or are people just upset because RR supports Trump now?
Everyone dotes on whatever he says. It's the same song and dance every year. Vague on injuries. Weird about transfers....negative about recruiting. Open competition and no one is safe. Team loves Rita's nachos.....yada yada yada.

Who cares about who he supports. Both Republicans and Democrats are bought and sold and corruption and greed rules. To be one or the other is the exact same thing. People need to shift to the middle and become Independents like myself. All else is a freakin clown show that the media is running.