2017 Arizona Wildcats Football Team.

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

PHXCATS

Re: 2017 Arizona Wildcats Football Team.

Post by PHXCATS »

chiefzona wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
OSUCat wrote:I forgot to ask, did he say "We believe we have two starting QBs" this year? Or something like "We have a 10 man competition for qb?"

He said what he has said every year during this time of year. It's a broken record and some fall for it every time as if it were the first time that he has said it.
Falling for what exactly? Maybe he does think two guys are good?

No one is expecting a south title this year, just some improvement from last year.

Also besides Foles, when has the qb play been better at Arizona than under RR?

Or are people just upset because RR supports Trump now?
Everyone dotes on whatever he says. It's the same song and dance every year. Vague on injuries. Weird about transfers....negative about recruiting. Open competition and no one is safe. Team loves Rita's nachos.....yada yada yada.

Who cares about who he supports. Both Republicans and Democrats are bought and sold and corruption and greed rules. To be one or the other is the exact same thing. People need to shift to the middle and become Independents like myself. All else is a freakin clown show that the media is running.
So when Rich Rod is at Media Day or a press conference, we should just ignore it? I don't think anyone thinks Arizona is going to win 3 or 4 more games than before because of what he said.

Finally something I agree with you on Chief. Who RR or Miller or any coach that Arizona interviews going forward supports politically should not matter in any way what so ever.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
BibbysTowelDude

Post by BibbysTowelDude »

Yes, you should ignore it. He's not worth anyone's time at this point.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

PHXCATS wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
OSUCat wrote:I forgot to ask, did he say "We believe we have two starting QBs" this year? Or something like "We have a 10 man competition for qb?"

He said what he has said every year during this time of year. It's a broken record and some fall for it every time as if it were the first time that he has said it.

No one is expecting a south title this year, just some improvement from last year.

Everyone dotes on whatever he says. It's the same song and dance every year. Vague on injuries. Weird about transfers....negative about recruiting. Open competition and no one is safe. Team loves Rita's nachos.....yada yada yada.

Who cares about who he supports. Both Republicans and Democrats are bought and sold and corruption and greed rules. To be one or the other is the exact same thing. People need to shift to the middle and become Independents like myself. All else is a freakin clown show that the media is running.
So when Rich Rod is at Media Day or a press conference, we should just ignore it? I don't think anyone thinks Arizona is going to win 3 or 4 more games than before because of what he said.

Finally something I agree with you on Chief. Who RR or Miller or any coach that Arizona interviews going forward supports politically should not matter in any way what so ever.

Ignore everything he says. It all doesn't matter. What matters are the wins.

The youth is brainwashed by public educators, colleges, and the media and fooled into thinking that they're political affiliation is better than the other one and that they care about everybody and that they're humanitarians but money and power are the real problems and issues.

Who cares who RR or any coach anywhere follows or advocates. It's all about the program they are heading. That's it and that's all.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

chiefzona wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
chiefzona wrote:

Uh, that's every coach at every media day ever. It makes headlines when a coach does anything other than spew nonspecific platitudes about the generally positive direction of things and how everyone needs to work hard.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

There are lower boards for a reason. Keep your political takes out of the sports boards!

I disagree that this was the same Coach Rod yesterday. The best right up I saw was from AG, now at All Sports Tucson, who seemed to hear the same thing I did.
“There hasn’t been a day gone by since last season was over that I’m not ticked off, that the players aren’t ticked off, that the staff isn’t ticked off.

It’s awful. It’s embarrassing. It’s ridiculous. But you have to look inward first — what do we have to do to get better. I have been doing this for a long time, but I can’t sit back and say, ‘Well, we’ll keep doing the same thing and expect a different result. That’s insanity, right?”
He was clear that the blame for last year began with him and the coaching staff and they needed to change to improve. Will it happen? Who knows, but to say that this was the same spiel we've heard every year is wrong and makes me believe you didn't even watch the interview.

Alsadek and Bruno confirmed that Coach has been pissed the whole off season and the players have a similar attitude.

For me the most important point was not that we have way too many new players, but that the coaches are intentionally going to keep schemes simple and not try and overburden new players that will have to play.

In the end, the only point of media day is to generate stories to get the seasonal fans back into football. I'm glad Coach is ticked off, I'm glad the season is one day closer, but I'm a year round, die hard fan and won't be happy until we have an improved team on the field.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

RR is ticked off this time of year every year. It's part of the game. It's a drill instructor mentality. Try to break the individual down and then build up the team. Same game...different year.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Meh, proof is in the pudding. Rich rod is a good cheerleader and sales rep.

Would've make a killing as a pharma rep if he was a hot 20something coed.

I'll wait to see the product on the field till I buy anymore of his blarney stoned tongue.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I just have very low expectations every season for football. I watch all the games, and for the most part all of it, with the exception of the 8PM games, so if it's a blowout at half time I watch something else.

Unlike basketball season, where I have very high expectations, and never expect them to lose!

I really like RichRod as a person, he has a great personality, but I think the game has passed him by.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Merkin wrote:I just have very low expectations every season for football. I watch all the games, and for the most part all of it, with the exception of the 8PM games, so if it's a blowout at half time I watch something else.

Unlike basketball season, where I have very high expectations, and never expect them to lose!

I really like RichRod as a person, he has a great personality, but I think the game has passed him by.
What makes you say this? People here say this but never the reason. Steve Rivera on the radio last night said that RR is working as hard as ever.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

PHXCATS wrote:
Merkin wrote:I just have very low expectations every season for football. I watch all the games, and for the most part all of it, with the exception of the 8PM games, so if it's a blowout at half time I watch something else.

What makes you say this? People here say this but never the reason. Steve Rivera on the radio last night said that RR is working as hard as ever.
Sticking with an antiquated gimmicky offensive Zone Read system. Gimmicks may work for mid majors, but not Power 5 schools.

Look how long RichRod stuck with the 3-3-5 defense. Even the Yates version last year still looked 3-3-5.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

PHXCATS is the new Cordera .... with slightly better English. :lol:
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Merkin wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:

Sticking with an antiquated gimmicky offensive Zone Read system. Gimmicks may work for mid majors, but not Power 5 schools.

Look how long RichRod stuck with the 3-3-5 defense. Even the Yates version last year still looked 3-3-5.
Yates wanted a 4-2-5 and tried to install variations of it and RR wanted the 3-3-5 with variations of it so this is what it is.....a 3-3-5 with a stud swing gate that can act like a 4-2-5 at times. DL is acting like a 4-2-5.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

PHXCATS wrote:

People who get paid say different from those who don't most of the time when it comes to Arizona football.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I don't remember the Cats being in a 4-2-5 once the whole year. I'm not saying they didn't do it, I just don't remember seeing it.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

azgreg wrote:I don't remember the Cats being in a 4-2-5 once the whole year. I'm not saying they didn't do it, I just don't remember seeing it.
That's because you didn't "really" see it. Edge rushers rush the same as when Casteel ran the plastic curtain even though sometimes you'll catch 4 on the line. Rare though. What used to be Mike and Wills are more hybrid like. They have even changed it a little more for this season. Should see LBs doing some different things.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

azgreg wrote:I don't remember the Cats being in a 4-2-5 once the whole year. I'm not saying they didn't do it, I just don't remember seeing it.

To be fair, you are usually cracking #7 or #8 by the time the team takes the field. ;)
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

PHXCATS wrote:Just remember when you dont go to games but want UA Football to do well, UAB has an indoor facility and Arizona doesnt
I'll go to more games when it's actually entertaining and enjoyable.
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

UAEebs86 wrote:

To be fair, you are usually cracking #7 or #8 by the time the team takes the field. ;)
:lol: :lol: :lol: to go along with several posts of hot coeds . . .
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

UAEebs86 wrote:

chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

It looks like that transfer off of the team might have happened. He's off of the roster and might land on the east coast.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

still cryptic, you know who it is and evidently its public but you can't or won't say his name?
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

azcat49 wrote:still cryptic, you know who it is and evidently its public but you can't or won't say his name?

It's not public but I can make it public quickly. It's real simple. Look at the roster. He was going to be an integral part of the offense. Now he's on his way to Syracuse so I heard.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

chiefzona wrote:
azcat49 wrote:still cryptic, you know who it is and evidently its public but you can't or won't say his name?

It's not public but I can make it public quickly. It's real simple. Look at the roster. He was going to be an integral part of the offense. Now he's on his way to Syracuse so I heard.
Dino Babers doing a little poaching?
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

chiefzona wrote:

Ok that makes sense. Unfortunately when I look at the updates roster it all appears to be the usual guys, at least at TE, RB, WR. I am sure I am missing him but it can wait. I think you said it was a WR, is that correct?
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

azcat49 wrote:
chiefzona wrote:

Ok that makes sense. Unfortunately when I look at the updates roster it all appears to be the usual guys, at least at TE, RB, WR. I am sure I am missing him but it can wait. I think you said it was a WR, is that correct?

Yes
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

the I know something you don't is tired guy.

Sucks, guy had good offers
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Looks like Devaughn Cooper had a Cuse offer.

Wonder if he knows how cold it gets there being a Cali kid?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

chiefzona wrote:
Did you just say it's not public, then play coy about making it public and basically make it public without actually coming out and saying it?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Of course he did. Looks like Cooper. He was going to be a focal point this year? Did he even ever play?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azcat49 wrote:Of course he did. Looks like Cooper. He was going to be a focal point this year? Did he even ever play?
Think he was injured first game last year and took a medical redshirt.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Devaughn Cooper is no longer on the roster. Took me 1 sec to type his name. Feel silly telling you guys directly when I could imply I know something other people don't.

Also, now that an updated roster is released I will be updating players in the countdown with their actual numbers.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

ANGCatFan wrote:Devaughn Cooper is no longer on the roster. Took me 1 sec to type his name. Feel silly telling you guys directly when I could imply I know something other people don't.

Also, now that an updated roster is released I will be updating players in the countdown with their actual numbers.

Indeed. DC is transferring
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
Did you just say it's not public, then play coy about making it public and basically make it public without actually coming out and saying it?
Works better than viagra for our friend Chief.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

So apparently since he played in one game, he has to sit out a year now?

So will only have 4 years to play 3. Seems a shame to lose a year.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Merkin wrote:So apparently since he played in one game, he has to sit out a year now?

So will only have 4 years to play 3. Seems a shame to lose a year.

I don't know how that's gonna work out. Probably an appeal.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Chicat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
I prefer the generic Mydixadrill.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

azgreg wrote:
Chicat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
I prefer the generic Mydixadrill.

Cialis rules.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Chuck Cecil
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

The Devaughn Cooper transfer is re-enforcing and clearly telling you what we all already know. That is, we will have very little in the way of a meaningful passing game again this year. The WR's will be mostly glorified blockers.

With the running backs expected to be doing most of the heavy lifting combined with occasional dangerous QB scrambles thrown in for good measure, by the fifth or sixth game of the year I expect Wilson to be beat to hell again and miss games. I also expect the QB's to be banged up and ineffective by mid-season as injuries take hold and teams scheme and neutralize the read zone rushing attack and load the box.

JJ is a special player but he just cannot take the pounding if overloaded and the freshmen Tilford will be overwhelmed to some degree. Zack Green is 4th on the depth chart for a reason, he will never win you a game if that is your last card in the deck.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

chiefzona wrote:Chuck Cecil
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Found greg's post much more informative, but posterity will note that chief knew this first and had minutes to gloat in his knowledge.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Didn't Greg Hansen mention Cecil a couple days ago?
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

ANGCatFan wrote:Found greg's post much more informative, but posterity will note that chief knew this first and had minutes to gloat in his knowledge.

Not at all. It's not my blog. This is your blog. Keep up the good work Ang....I enjoy it.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Merkin wrote:Didn't Greg Hansen mention Cecil a couple days ago?

Yeah, he did and since he's fam....haha
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

azgreg wrote:
Kinda my thought when I heard it, at least there will be one legit Wildcat with some Arizona cred on the staff. An Arizona legend - I hope he knocks some Bear Down into this bunch.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

chiefzona wrote:
ANGCatFan wrote:Found greg's post much more informative, but posterity will note that chief knew this first and had minutes to gloat in his knowledge.

Not at all. It's not my blog. This is your blog. Keep up the good work Ang....I enjoy it.
A blog? I thought you saw this as a support group for people who can't get past their middle school football glory days.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Sid

Post by Sid »

azgreg wrote:
chiefzona wrote:Chuck Cecil
Fucking outstanding!
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Chicat wrote:
chiefzona wrote:

A blog? I thought you saw this as a support group for people who can't get past their middle school football glory days.

One of your moderator buddies dropped that like it's hot. Middle school? No way. There are some pop warner stars on here!