Dave Heeke is New Arizona AD

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

chiefzona

Re: Dave Heeke is New Arizona AD

Post by chiefzona »

chiefzona wrote:Sorry guys. All of the problems are gone though....at least on the football side of things.

Prophetic, yes? Soon the basketball program problem will be gone.
TheGreatCatsby

Post by TheGreatCatsby »

Dave Heeke beyond earning his pay now...
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Fuck Byrne. Cripes, some people just fuck UP all the time.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Seriously, fuck that guy. I always had a bad feeling about him.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

CalStateTempe wrote:Seriously, fuck that guy. I always had a bad feeling about him.
Well, he is an ASU grad.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I always regard the mr goody toe shoes, perfect affable Boy Scout type, with suspicion.

Overcompensating for something most of the time.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Merkin wrote:Fuck Byrne. Cripes, some people just fuck UP all the time.
Scheer on record with any commentary on Byrne while he was here? With inside info from all his "trusted sources".

Methinks he was very likely a fanboy up until the moment he left Dodge... and for a while after that.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Harvey Specter wrote:
Scheer on record with any commentary on Byrne while he was here? With inside info from all his "trusted sources".

Methinks he was very likely a fanboy up until the moment he left Dodge... and for a while after that.
Yep
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Heeke must be seriously questioning his decision to come here. I like what I've seen from him and Robbins so far and hope they can clean up all the messes Byrne left behind.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Harvey Specter wrote:

:lol:
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I have a feeling Heeke knew exactly what he was getting into.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I think Heeke is the perfect temperament for this storm and is clean
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

CalStateTempe wrote:I think Heeke is the perfect temperament for this storm and is clean

I think Heeke is clean but so far I think Heeke has been lucky. I think he hesitated on the RR firing and got really lucky on the Sumlin hire. He can't hesitate on Miller. Now you can see one reason why he may have hesitated on firing RR, he knew deep down he might have to buy out Miller when the crap hit the fan on buying players. Normally I'd say you can't fire or suspend someone on something from an anonymous source but this seems to be getting to be a more and more reliable source every hour. Its so bad you have to do something quickly. Put Miller on paid suspension and suspend Ayton and show the NCAA you're trying to correct it. He has to show me he can make a hard decision before the law suits happen.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

tgrumpy2 wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:I think Heeke is the perfect temperament for this storm and is clean

I think Heeke is clean but so far I think Heeke has been lucky. I think he hesitated on the RR firing and got really lucky on the Sumlin hire. He can't hesitate on Miller. Now you can see one reason why he may have hesitated on firing RR, he knew deep down he might have to buy out Miller when the crap hit the fan on buying players. Normally I'd say you can't fire or suspend someone on something from an anonymous source but this seems to be getting to be a more and more reliable source every hour. Its so bad you have to do something quickly. Put Miller on paid suspension and suspend Ayton and show the NCAA you're trying to correct it. He has to show me he can make a hard decision before the law suits happen.
Ready - Fire - Aim
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

tgrumpy2 wrote:

Yeah No, that would have been stupid
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

MrMeow wrote:
tgrumpy2 wrote:

Ready - Fire - Aim
Again, no. Heeke has proved to be a Top Notch AD. I have heard nothing but great things about him from strong Alumni. We are so lucky to have him and Robbins. Robbins is easily the best president I have met for U of A and I have and spent time with the last four.

This took their time in this situation to gather all the facts and they made a decision just like with Rich Rod. Heeke knows what he is doing and when he was in McKale last night seeing those 14,600 fans with a passion that is unrivaled on the west coast, I am thinking his thought was

This sure beats CMU
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

The next time chief is tooting his own horn about how he is right about everything, remind him he thought Heeke was a bad hire.
-JB
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

UAEebs86 wrote:The next time chief is tooting his own horn about how he is right about everything, remind him he thought Heeke was a bad hire.
Jury is still out. The basketball deal is far from over. Sumlin hire was a home run. He's doing well but time will tell. All my results are there.....no need to toot any horn. If that's your complaint then I am doing pretty well. :lol:
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

chiefzona wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote:The next time chief is tooting his own horn about how he is right about everything, remind him he thought Heeke was a bad hire.
Jury is still out. The basketball deal is far from over. Sumlin hire was a home run. He's doing well but time will tell. All my results are there.....no need to toot any horn. If that's your complaint then I am doing pretty well. :lol:
You're batting .500. Right on RichRod, wrong on Heeke. And by the way, Heeke's done more good things in a short time than hire Sumlin.

The jury is still out? How bogus. When in your mind would the jury be in? Any time it makes you look good?

As for the tooting of your own horn, denying it is not a good look ... too much evidence.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

chiefzona wrote:
Chief it is very obvious to me you have fantastic sources around high school and college football through your work. You understand recruiting very well and clear you love football and get how the sport works.

This all being said, my assumption is you do not have strong relationships with prominent boosters at U of A. I can tell you I do, and every single one has told me how much they like Heeke. I have not had the privilege of meeting him yet but know people in the athletic department who love working for him. And bobby Robbins, Men want to be Him and Women want to be with him he is that good.

Since Heeke's time here, he has gotten over $60M in Facility upgrades approved through the ABOR (No easy task) including an Indoor Practice Facility something Greg Byrne waffled on a bit to my face. He has extended the contracts of coaches like Candrea and Jay Johnson. He hired Augie Busch for swimming which was a massive home run. He has overseen two major scandals and on-going investigations with class and a firm attitude of getting facts in order and being decisive when making a decision. He hired the best potential football coach in the history of our program with a VERY friendly contract. (Yes potential as time will tell if Sumlin works out but on paper the strongest hire we have ever made). And he is focused on making further badly needed facility upgrades to Arizona stadium.

Jury is not out, Heeke is quality AD and we are lucky to have him especially after that bum Byrne.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Thanks Newport for another peak behind the curtain. Awesome!

What I want to know about Robbins is how someone goes from cardiovascular surgeon to running a top 100 university. My understanding is he lead a cardiovascular institute affiliate with the UT system and went from there, but I could totally be wrong.

Robbins appears to be bad ass, so glad we landed him after weaver hart.
Sid

Post by Sid »

CalStateTempe wrote:Thanks Newport for another peak behind the curtain. Awesome!

What I want to know about Robbins is how someone goes from cardiovascular surgeon to running a top 100 university. My understanding is he lead a cardiovascular institute affiliate with the UT system and went from there, but I could totally be wrong.

Robbins appears to be bad ass, so glad we landed him after weaver hart.
Robbins & Heeke working in unison to achieve greatness is unlike anything we’ve seen in many moons.

We’re fucking blessed, let’s enjoy this ride!
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

MrMeow wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
You're batting .500. Right on RichRod, wrong on Heeke. And by the way, Heeke's done more good things in a short time than hire Sumlin.

The jury is still out? How bogus. When in your mind would the jury be in? Any time it makes you look good?

As for the tooting of your own horn, denying it is not a good look ... too much evidence.

So, I've only spoke on RR and Heeke. I guessed you missed the thousands of other things. I've been doing this for awhile now. Heeke is doing well but has a long way to go. We'll see his hire after Miller is let go. That will be extremely important. I hope that you treat the guys who get paid for this like you treat me. They've all been wrong so many times We've all lost count.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Newportcat wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
Chief it is very obvious to me you have fantastic sources around high school and college football through your work. You understand recruiting very well and clear you love football and get how the sport works.

This all being said, my assumption is you do not have strong relationships with prominent boosters at U of A. I can tell you I do, and every single one has told me how much they like Heeke. I have not had the privilege of meeting him yet but know people in the athletic department who love working for him. And bobby Robbins, Men want to be Him and Women want to be with him he is that good.

Since Heeke's time here, he has gotten over $60M in Facility upgrades approved through the ABOR (No easy task) including an Indoor Practice Facility something Greg Byrne waffled on a bit to my face. He has extended the contracts of coaches like Candrea and Jay Johnson. He hired Augie Busch for swimming which was a massive home run. He has overseen two major scandals and on-going investigations with class and a firm attitude of getting facts in order and being decisive when making a decision. He hired the best potential football coach in the history of our program with a VERY friendly contract. (Yes potential as time will tell if Sumlin works out but on paper the strongest hire we have ever made). And he is focused on making further badly needed facility upgrades to Arizona stadium.

Jury is not out, Heeke is quality AD and we are lucky to have him especially after that bum Byrne.
Thanks Newport. I know a few big boosters but I only get which way the wind is blowing. I don't take very little if any info seriously from boosters. It's not my part of the game. Heeke is doing well. Like you said, Jury isn't out yet. We have a long way to go. Thanks again for the kind words.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

chiefzona wrote:
Newportcat wrote:
chiefzona wrote:

Thanks Newport. I know a few big boosters but I only get which way the wind is blowing. I don't take very little if any info seriously from boosters. It's not my part of the game. Heeke is doing well. Like you said, Jury isn't out yet. We have a long way to go. Thanks again for the kind words.
Huh?
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

MrMeow wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
Newportcat wrote:
chiefzona wrote:

Huh?
I did say that I think Chief knows his stuff when it comes to high school and college football and has great sources in both. I think at this point there is little doubt of that.

I was not trying to be rude to him but his opinions on Heeke fly right in the face from what I have heard from people who both work for him and donate money to the program.

Best thing someone said to me, is he is the exact opposite of Byrne in that he knows how to run things well.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

Newport, the "huh?" was for Chief, not you. His statement, "like you said, jury isn't out yet" makes no sense at all to me.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

MrMeow wrote:Newport, the "huh?" was for Chief, not you. His statement, "like you said, jury isn't out yet" makes no sense at all to me.
Got it my bad
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

MrMeow wrote:Newport, the "huh?" was for Chief, not you. His statement, "like you said, jury isn't out yet" makes no sense at all to me.

Newport said jury is still not out. Just like I did. It’s too early yet. Heeke is on a good path but he really will be defined how he handles Miller and then his replacement along with the fundraising to complete what the evil one started.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

chiefzona wrote:

Newport said jury is still not out. Just like I did. It’s too early yet. Heeke is on a good path but he really will be defined how he handles Miller and then his replacement along with the fundraising to complete what the evil one started.
Yeah, I see that now, sorry. Let me ask you guys a question: where are juries if they are not "out", and what does the phrase "the jury is still out" mean? (It's really unbelievable someone has to take you through this by the hand).

Your take on Heeke is out of line. He's doing great, as Newport detailed for you, not just the diminished "on a good path", but that doesn't support your agenda.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

MrMeow wrote:
chiefzona wrote:

Yeah, I see that now, sorry. Let me ask you guys a question: where are juries if they are not "out", and what does the phrase "the jury is still out" mean? (It's really unbelievable someone has to take you through this by the hand).

Your take on Heeke is out of line. He's doing great, as Newport detailed for you, not just the diminished "on a good path", but that doesn't support your agenda.

The reason that I said Yikes when he was hired is because he was a lower profile guy with subpar hires in his history and I knew that he would have an uphill battle right when he moved in his office. I knew that he would have a mess with RR and then need to make a good hire. That's all. No one is taking me by the hand in anything. The jury was never out on Miller and RR for me. My take on Heeke isn't out of line because I haven't said much. I need to see more.....that's all. It's weird that this is firing you up. It's weird that some people choose this topic as a negative. Ah well. Tough crowd. :D
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

chiefzona wrote:
MrMeow wrote:
chiefzona wrote:

The reason that I said Yikes when he was hired is because he was a lower profile guy with subpar hires in his history and I knew that he would have an uphill battle right when he moved in his office. I knew that he would have a mess with RR and then need to make a good hire. That's all. No one is taking me by the hand in anything. The jury was never out on Miller and RR for me. My take on Heeke isn't out of line because I haven't said much. I need to see more.....that's all. It's weird that this is firing you up. It's weird that some people choose this topic as a negative. Ah well. Tough crowd. :D
I give up
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

chiefzona wrote:
MrMeow wrote:
chiefzona wrote:

OK, let me try.

Chief, you said "the jury is still out" on Heeke (not "the jury is not still out"), which we take to mean that, in your view he hasn't yet proven that he is doing (rather, will continue doing) a great job.

Newport said, no, the jury is NOT still out, meaning, in Newport's view Heeke has already proven himself.

No biggie, really, I think you just misread what newport wrote. And I don't think people are getting fired up about it, just trying to clarify what you and what newport meant.

BTW, even though you sometimes come across as rather combative, I enjoy seeing your takes on the football program, and it seems you are right more often than not.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

chiefzona wrote:

Sorry my bad meant to say Jury is out and Heeke is a damn good AD and we are lucky that Bryne left
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

Newportcat wrote:
chiefzona wrote:

Sorry my bad meant to say Jury is out and Heeke is a damn good AD and we are lucky that Bryne left
"The jury is out" would mean that there isn't a verdict yet on whether he is a good AD. Might be clearer to stop talking about juries and just say that he has (or has not yet) proven that he is really good.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

BBQ wildcat wrote:
Newportcat wrote:
chiefzona wrote:

"The jury is out" would mean that there isn't a verdict yet on whether he is a good AD. Might be clearer to stop talking about juries and just say that he has (or has not yet) proven that he is really good.
Yep I have screwed up that analogy

Heeke in my opinion has clearly demonstrated he is a very good AD
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

I kinda thought that is what you meant.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

BBQ wildcat wrote:I kinda thought that is what you meant.
Me too
TheGreatCatsby

Post by TheGreatCatsby »

Heeke is back on the hot seat again. He's been on it ever since he got here, yet has quite a few accomplishments. He's Don Draper, and if he lets Miller go of course his hire will be a major deciding factor of his legacy. I picture him in the AD office giving orders to his charges, firing them up to go and get the freakin' Jaguar account (without Joan's solution of course).

Funny when that donor gave all that stock about 5 years ago or so to lock up Bryne, RR, and Miller...now scandal swirls around all three.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

TheGreatCatsby wrote:Heeke is back on the hot seat again. He's been on it ever since he got here, yet has quite a few accomplishments. He's Don Draper, and if he lets Miller go of course his hire will be a major deciding factor of his legacy. I picture him in the AD office giving orders to his charges, firing them up to go and get the freakin' Jaguar account (without Joan's solution of course).

Funny when that donor gave all that stock about 5 years ago or so to lock up Bryne, RR, and Miller...now scandal swirls around all three.
Not a day goes by Jeff Stevens probably regrets giving that stock away
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I don't think Heeke is on the hot seat at all.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

azgreg wrote:I don't think Heeke is on the hot seat at all.
No he is not. Not even close

The guy inherited a dumpster fire and is doing everything he can to turn it around
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

TheGreatCatsby wrote:Heeke is back on the hot seat again. He's been on it ever since he got here, yet has quite a few accomplishments. He's Don Draper, and if he lets Miller go of course his hire will be a major deciding factor of his legacy. I picture him in the AD office giving orders to his charges, firing them up to go and get the freakin' Jaguar account (without Joan's solution of course).

What's your definition of hot seat exactly? Heeke has done nothing to put his job in jeopardy.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I’ve read it all
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

I don't how anyone could evaluate Dave Heeke up to this point and arrive at any conclusion that he is on the hot seat.

As far as I'm concerned this guys has moved mountains with his hands. The guy rolled into town and the second he took his position he was handed a brewing football program shit storm that 99% of us didn't even know existed and may have made the best football hire in the schools history.

Then the mind bending clusterfuck that is the basketball FBI investigation that was already in play behind the scenes that none of us knew about was an additional giant turd placed in the punch bowl already filled with turds.

I seriously had GB misread. As it turns out he was a disaster by any standard and was operating a department in a wild wild west atmosphere.

No one is perfect by any measure but you've got to tip your hat to Heeke and Robbins. Both of them may have literally saved the football program from completely imploding and they may yet wind-up saving the basketball program, but that crisis is still unfolding and far from over.

I now realize GB was all flash and no substance, I completely misjudged that guy. Heeke on the other hand brings his lunch pale to work everyday a appears to just get shit done like a professional administrator should.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Don’t feel bad gladiator many did. Greg was very good at presenting a great public image

I was somewhat suspect as he seemed too fake to me when I met him and knew Arte Moreno couldn’t stand him. While many didn’t like sunny Jim livengood, I always liked him and especially near the end put in motion many of the facilities improvements we have or are seeing now. Never heard someone who worked for him who didn’t like him. I actually knew him at one point pretty well.

But now the truth about Greg is out and he was truly an awful AD. Good at raising money but zero clue how to run an athletic department. I fucking hate how he landed at Alabama but my only hope is at some point Saban eats him alive.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

This is a head scratcher.
TheGreatCatsby

Post by TheGreatCatsby »

Wrong use of hot seat, what I meant was the pressure is back on him again, as in its been a pressure cooker on him ever since he got here. He's got a lot of decisions to make on Miller. And lawsuits. And just getting done with RichRod. Never ends for the poor guy. He's done an excellent job so far. This upcoming Miller stuff is tricky.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

So what Phoenix area bar bailed on the AD's Road Tour this year? (like Four Peaks did a few years ago).

-JB
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Fuck ASU