Dave Heeke is New Arizona AD

Post by BearDown89 »

chiefzona

Re: Dave Heeke is New Arizona AD

Post by chiefzona »

BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

Very interesting discussion. First, Hansen takes so much shit from most people, but he's clearly in the know and understands the issues. He's texting Ced Dempsey six weeks ago and basically getting a confirmation on Heeke. Second, I guess I never really personally appreciated the sub-par fan experience at Arizona Stadium because I only make it to a game every several years. I did go to the Hawaii game last season and sat on the lower West side 50-yard line. Great view, but yeah very uncomfortable for this 50-yo's fat ass. Especially for 4 hours with all the TV timeouts, reviews and such. That's a long time on a metal plank. I was well past ready to leave by the start of the 4th quarter (but would definitely stay for the duration most nights given a good game). Could really care less about bathrooms and concessions. As a dude I really don't care about the quality of the pissing accommodations. Yes, the west-side restrooms are steamy-hot concrete bunkers reeking of urine, but so what. Whip it out and move on. Overall, however, I can see how a regular attendee/season ticket holder would expect more in this day and age. Leading to third, yes Heeke faces a tall order on fundraising to improve the stadium experience, indoor practice facility and other big ticket items.

What are the ins and outs of the Student Fee issue? Seems like Hansen and Finley implied the was the beginning of the end and/or the writing on the wall for the end of the Byrne era . . . fundraising will continue to be an uphill battle for Arizona Athletics.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

BearDown89 wrote:
Very interesting discussion. First, Hansen takes so much shit from most people, but he's clearly in the know and understands the issues. He's texting Ced Dempsey six weeks ago and basically getting a confirmation on Heeke. Second, I guess I never really personally appreciated the sub-par fan experience at Arizona Stadium because I only make it to a game every several years. I did go to the Hawaii game last season and sat on the lower West side 50-yard line. Great view, but yeah very uncomfortable for this 50-yo's fat ass. Especially for 4 hours with all the TV timeouts, reviews and such. That's a long time on a metal plank. I was well past ready to leave by the start of the 4th quarter (but would definitely stay for the duration most nights given a good game). Could really care less about bathrooms and concessions. As a dude I really don't care about the quality of the pissing accommodations. Yes, the west-side restrooms are steamy-hot concrete bunkers reeking of urine, but so what. Whip it out and move on. Overall, however, I can see how a regular attendee/season ticket holder would expect more in this day and age. Leading to third, yes Heeke faces a tall order on fundraising to improve the stadium experience, indoor practice facility and other big ticket items.

What are the ins and outs of the Student Fee issue? Seems like Hansen and Finley implied the was the beginning of the end and/or the writing on the wall for the end of the Byrne era . . . fundraising will continue to be an uphill battle for Arizona Athletics.
I believe that Byrne was smart enough to know that the next phase of fund raising would be the most difficult phase. We shall see if Heeke is up to the task. I don't know nor have heard much about the student fee.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Well no one said "yikes" like Chief did. Lots of work to do. The students need to come to terms with the fee because it puts us at a huge competitive disadvantage.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

azcat49 wrote:Well no one said "yikes" like Chief did. Lots of work to do. The students need to come to terms with the fee because it puts us at a huge competitive disadvantage.
We'll get initial push back on the fee, but after a few years no one will even notice it.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

azcat49 wrote:Well no one said "yikes" like Chief did. Lots of work to do. The students need to come to terms with the fee because it puts us at a huge competitive disadvantage.

Uncle Greg's first line was...."Probably the best they could get." In Chiefese that is translated as "Yikes".
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

chiefzona wrote:

Uncle Greg's first line was...."Probably the best they could get." In Chiefese that is translated as "Yikes".
That doesn't make it a yikes. Arizona is slotted in a certain range when it comes to basketball coaches, football coaches, and athletic directors. Arizona can obviously land a better basketball coach than a football coach and an athletic director for obvious reasons. Arizona's primary candidates were the ADs from Central Michigan and Kansas State. That's about the pool we're always pulling from. Our prior ADs came from Mississippi State and Wazzu.

From what I understand there were two groups of people involved in this hire, one preferred Heeke and the other preferred Currie. The Heeke group won out. Either way if you wanna argue that Arizona didn't land a P5 AD and say yikes about that then fair enough, but Arizona isn't going to lure away a very accomplished AD at a major P5 school, we just don't have the endless supply of income to ever get one of those. I'm just happy we didn't go the USC route where we hired an unqualified alum or the ASU route where we hired a guy with zero AD experience.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I like that Chief is still beating that "Byrne jumped ship right before the iceberg" line. As if if the football team had won 8 games and donors were lining up for the indoor practice facility, Byrne would have said no to Bama.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Chicat wrote:I like that Chief is still beating that "Byrne jumped ship right before the iceberg" line. As if if the football team had won 8 games and donors were lining up for the indoor practice facility, Byrne would have said no to Bama.

The thing that I like about it is that I mentioned Byrne's possible departure last year because I had my suspicions. I voiced those opinions and was told by many that Byrne would not leave...that he was specifically waiting for a commissioner position to open. I knew that he would get a good AD job offer before that would happen and it did. Byrne was gonzo regardless.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

chiefzona wrote:
Chicat wrote:I like that Chief is still beating that "Byrne jumped ship right before the iceberg" line. As if if the football team had won 8 games and donors were lining up for the indoor practice facility, Byrne would have said no to Bama.

The thing that I like about it is that I mentioned Byrne's possible departure last year because I had my suspicions. I voiced those opinions and was told by many that Byrne would not leave...that he was specifically waiting for a commissioner position to open. I knew that he would get a good AD job offer before that would happen and it did. Byrne was gonzo regardless.
"Regardless" is a silly word to use.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Chicat wrote:
chiefzona wrote:

"Regardless" is a silly word to use.
re·gard·less
rəˈɡärdləs/
adverb
without paying attention to the present situation; despite the prevailing circumstances.
"they were determined to carry on regardless"
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

So if Florida Atlantic came calling, he was gone? GTFO
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Chicat wrote:So if Florida Atlantic came calling, he was gone? GTFO
Man, you're like the media. HAHA! No. We all know he was suited for a "top tier" AD job and that it was going to happen sooner than later. The world of college football is an ever-changing process and never a stasis.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

chiefzona wrote:
Man, you're like the media. HAHA! No. We all know he was suited for a "top tier" AD job and that it was going to happen sooner than later. The world of college football is an ever-changing process and never a stasis.
So .... not regardless. Got it.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Chicat wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
He was leaving, regardless. He knew a top tier position was coming. He's a very smart man.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

chiefzona wrote:
Chicat wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
He was leaving, regardless. He knew a top tier position was coming. He's a very smart man.
is that why he didn't take the florida job? :roll:
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

ASUHATER! wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
Chicat wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
is that why he didn't take the florida job? :roll:

He was never offered the Florida job.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

chiefzona wrote:
Chicat wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
He left for a better job, yes he is a genius. How astute of you to predict such an outcome knowing his children were all done with high school.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

ChooChooCat wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
Chicat wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
He left for a better job, yes he is a genius. How astute of you to predict such an outcome knowing his children were all done with high school.
Thanks. I appreciate it.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Chief,

Random question kinda off topic/on topic. If you were AD, you fire RR at the end of the year, who are your top 3 realistic guys you'd go after to replace him?
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

ChooChooCat wrote:Chief,

Random question kinda off topic/on topic. If you were AD, you fire RR at the end of the year, who are your top 3 realistic guys you'd go after to replace him?
Craig Bohl - Wyoming.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

BearDown89 wrote:

Craig Bohl - Wyoming.
Interesting choice.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craig_Bohl" target="_blank

Looks like he can win (for the most part) but can he recruit?
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Tee Martin
Scott Frost
Tosh Lupoi
Ken Niumatalolo

They all can recruit there asses off and that's what Arizona needs. Arizona has been plagued with recruitless coaches who cannot tap into Cali good enough. These guys can do it. Sure, I think there are much better choices for HC but I would go after these guys. Young and vivacious....hungry. Attainable. West coast ties.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

BearDown89 wrote:

Craig Bohl - Wyoming.

I do like him.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

chiefzona wrote:

Tee Martin
Scott Frost
Tosh Lupoi
Ken Niumatalolo

They all can recruit there asses off and that's what Arizona needs. Arizona has been plagued with recruitless coaches who cannot tap into Cali good enough. These guys can do it. Sure, I think there are much better choices for HC but I would go after these guys. Young and vivacious....hungry. Attainable. West coast ties.

Would KN run the bone at AZ? Always wonder if those academy coaches recruit or if the academy recruits for them. He turned down his alma matter BYU so I doubt we could get him
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

azcat49 wrote:
chiefzona wrote:

Tee Martin
Scott Frost
Tosh Lupoi
Ken Niumatalolo

Would KN run the bone at AZ? Always wonder if those academy coaches recruit or if the academy recruits for them. He turned down his alma matter BYU so I doubt we could get him
I think he'd run another scheme. Those academy coaches recruit their tails off. They have very strict school limitations as far as height and weight for lineman, etc. Ken would be a tough get for sure.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

azgreg wrote:

No fire. Arizona needs passion, fire, and determination.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

LOL OK program cancer. To each his own
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

azcat49 wrote:LOL OK program cancer. To each his own

The program cancer is mediocrity. It always has been. Think about that.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Does Tom Jurich have fire, or does he just have KFC Yum! & papa John's money
Last edited by NYCat on Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I will but you are.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

chiefzona wrote:
azgreg wrote:

Lol what?
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Just met Dave Heeke... seems like a nice guy
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Alieberman wrote:Just met Dave Heeke... seems like a nice guy
Yeah, but does he have fire?
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Actually he is a pretty lousy keynote speaker!
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Heard he has already made greats strides with Arte Moreno. Guess Arte hated GB
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Alieberman wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Actually he is a pretty lousy keynote speaker!

He is not gifted in the speech department for sure.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

azcat49 wrote:Heard he has already made greats strides with Arte Moreno. Guess Arte hated GB

Arte just stays clear.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

chiefzona wrote:
azgreg wrote:

Every press conference, he should bring someone dressed as Sparky out, then beat them to within an inch of their life, light the podium on fire and walk out to the strains of "Rock you like a hurricane." That's fire.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
azgreg wrote:

Every press conference, he should bring someone dressed as Sparky out, then beat them to within an inch of their life, light the podium on fire and walk out to the strains of "Rock you like a hurricane." That's fire.

That's a KISS concert.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

chiefzona wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
azgreg wrote:

That's a KISS concert.
I thought that was a typical Tuesday at Chief's house of fire?
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

ChooChooCat wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
azgreg wrote:

That's a KISS concert.
I thought that was a typical Tuesday at Chief's house of fire?

More like a Saturday night.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

chiefzona wrote:

More like a Saturday night.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Met Heeke last night at the Diamondbacks game. Real genuine. Doesn't give you the same impression as Byrne after talking to him, but you trust him more. Arizona is in good hands with Heeke. Some of these things may have been in the works already but I am impressed so far and the indoor facility is happening soon.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Admit it Chief. You like Heeke more now.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

I’m impressed he pulled the trigger on Rich Rod....Someone posted a tweet about never seeing Heeke this angry before after the ASU Debacle.....I’m hoping that he’d already made the decision to fire him but the timing had to be done in the new year for financial reasons.

In any case, this is the first big test for him and I hope he hits it out of the park.....it’s looking good so far though.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Chicat wrote: Admit it Chief. You like Heeke more now.

No. He was late to the party.
TheGreatCatsby

Post by TheGreatCatsby »

Heeke, so far, been very good. Seems honest and forthright, and absolutely made the right call firing RR. Got the indoor practice facility approved and funded, though that had been in the works at least he got it finally submitted, along with some other athletic facility upgrade money for the stadium, aquatics, and softball stadium.

Thought he was very upfront all football season not pleased with attendance and said he was listening from all angles on how to improve attendance and the fan experience. New coach should help there if he hires well. Now his big test is this football hire, and navigating the athletic department the next few years to clear out these scandals and hopefully be on the watch, and train all his charges, so no new ones pop up.