PAC-12 Experiment to Shorten Games

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

PHXCATS

PAC-12 Experiment to Shorten Games

Post by PHXCATS »

http://www.athleticbusiness.com/college ... games.html" target="_blank
USA TODAY

Selected non-conference games broadcast on the Pac-12 Network will have fewer commercial breaks and reduced halftimes, conference Commissioner Larry Scott announced Wednesday.

"We've worked with our universities on these proposed modifications, and over the next few weeks we'll be finalizing exactly which games during the non-conference season we will be piloting," Scott said during his introduction at the annual Pac-12 media days.

Halftimes will be reduced from 20 minutes to 15. Scott said he spoke with coaches around the conference for input.

"I was delighted to hear our coaches feel like 20 minutes is more than you need from a student-athlete's health and rest — and X's and O's — perspective," Scott said.

The move is in part to help maintain viewer interest — "You could lose as much as 30% of the TV audience at halftime," Scott said — and was made with research provided by ESPN. An NFL game typically lasts about three hours, but Pac-12 games can last 31/2 hours. And many Pac-12 games also are at night in the Pacific time zone, which can run really late for East Coast audiences.

Reducing TV timeouts in number and length isn't the only option, Scott said, citing British Open television coverage as a model.

"You would've seen some new ways of some split screens instead of breaking away from the action," Scott said. "We are going to be on the forefront of experimenting with some of those techniques."

Washington coach Chris Petersen is a fan of the move.

"I love it. I can't stand how long college football games (last); I don't like the games at all," Petersen said. "You do a drive, and then you have to wait. You get a first down, and then you have to wait for another commercial. That just pains me."

Instant replay is another topic the Pac-12 is tinkering with. After experimenting with instant replay at California and Oregon during the 2016 season, the conference will unveil a new centralized replay command center. It will be in the conference's office in San Francisco.

"Our team in the command center will work in concert with our in-stadium replay officials to manage the replay process of all Pac-12 home-hosted games," Scott said.

Scott also said the Pac-12 championship game would remain at Levi's Stadium in Santa Clara, where it moved in 2014, through at least 2019 with an option in 2020.

"Levi's Stadium offers a big-time atmosphere and an incredible venue for our most important game of the year," Scott said. "Our student-athletes love it."

Read More of Today's AB Headlines

Subscribe to Our Daily E-Newsletter

July 27, 2017
On the surface I love this and our game vs NAU should be one of these experiment games.

However after thinking about this for a while, I do not think Larry Scott should be given credit for this and I think he is only doing this because of his own incompetence.

On the PAC-12 networks you always see the same commercials and the PAC-12 spotlights of girls softball or volleyball or tennis players etc. or the fan videos. The commercials you see are usually the seek help for addiction or the ambulance chaser lawyers. This means they are not selling their airtime. With the huge failure the networks are with airing the same replays over and over and over again and showing a replay of a volleyball game on PAC-12 Arizona when Oregon is playing Utah on the national network and Oregon and Mountain networks, lack of original programming like SEC and Big Ten, and the inability to get on Directv or any major network besides Cox and Dish, they are not selling good commercial airtime.

I highly doubt boy wonder Larry Scott is charging extra this year for those game for the spots that will be in place. If he were, I would applaud him but I find that extremely hard to believe. So I think this is a way to save face for him and for him to look like he has an idea of how to run this conference adequately which he has not done so far. I truly believe this isn't about fan experience although I will enjoy it for the NAU game, it is about Larry saving face to who he answers to and to give him credit which he doesn't truly deserve.

All that said I love the fact that this will shorten halftime, which is far too long already, and less timeouts. We will see how it goes in September vs NAU, but in my opinion based on the industry I think this is not done for the right reasons.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
azcat49

Re: PAC-12 Experiment to Shorten Games

Post by azcat49 »

Simple fix, the clock should not stop on a first down. Keep it running. Also why does it have to stop on an incomplete pass. Start a 45 second play clock on a pass (25 second on a run). It's not like they don't have to go chase the ball and bring it back to the LOS. On a first down you could also use 45 seconds on the play clock so the chain gang could set up
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

azcat49 wrote:Simple fix, the clock should not stop on a first down. Keep it running. Also why does it have to stop on an incomplete pass. Start a 45 second play clock on a pass (25 second on a run). It's not like they don't have to go chase the ball and bring it back to the LOS. On a first down you could also use 45 seconds on the play clock so the chain gang could set up
I don't like your idea of having a longer playclock for parts and a shorter for others, but I do love the idea of the clock not stopping for first down. Maybe just have it for the final 2 minutes of the first half on first downs and final 5 minutes of the 4th quarter as a compromise for now?
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

They are to decide which Pac12 non-conference games the changes will happen? How come I have the feeling that this experiment will be at the cost of Arizona, and Mr. Scott will get his way? If there are any negative affects from this experience, I am sure it will cost us in the form of a loss somehow. I like the idea to, BUT do it for all non-conference games, not just a few whose named Cal, Arizona, Wash St, Color.......etc.
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

MountainCat wrote:They are to decide which Pac12 games the changes will happen? How come I have the feeling that this experiment will be at the cost of Arizona, and Mr. Scott will get his way? If there are any negative affects from this experience, I am sure it will cost us in the form of a loss somehow. I like the idea to, BUT do it for all conference games, not just a few whose named Cal, Arizona, Wash St, Color.......etc.
Please, Larry isn't out to get Arizona. Just stop it. USC doesn't have a bye this year. Others havent since U of A didn't.

He is awful but he isn't out to get Arizona.

I would have to imagine that the NAU Arizona game will be part of this. No buzz, no ad buys, and fits the criteria of Non-Conference game on PAC-12 Networks.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

jesus machina.

usc does have a bye. it is november 25th. just because it is the last week of the regular season doesn't mean it isn't a bye.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

This is an excellent cover story for the P12 network's lack of advertisers. We need to eliminate commercial breaks to *wink* shorten the length of games.
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

PHXCATS wrote:
MountainCat wrote:They are to decide which Pac12 games the changes will happen? How come I have the feeling that this experiment will be at the cost of Arizona, and Mr. Scott will get his way? If there are any negative affects from this experience, I am sure it will cost us in the form of a loss somehow. I like the idea to, BUT do it for all conference games, not just a few whose named Cal, Arizona, Wash St, Color.......etc.
Please, Larry isn't out to get Arizona. Just stop it. USC doesn't have a bye this year. Others havent since U of A didn't.

I would have to imagine that the NAU Arizona game will be part of this. No buzz, no ad buys, and fits the criteria of Non-Conference game on PAC-12 Networks.

I agree for the most part and know it's a tough job at times. He may not be out to get us, but he hasn't done us any favors either on other issues. Let me say it another way....

..."Woooooo Hoooooo, our non conference games will finish early and be done by 11:40pm, not Midnight anymore!"
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

MountainCat wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:

I agree for the most part and know it's a tough job at times. He may not be out to get us, but he hasn't done us any favors either on other issues. Let me say it another way....

..."Woooooo Hoooooo, our non conference games will finish early and be done by 11:40pm, not Midnight anymore!"
One will, very excited for it. Houston is on the ESPN networks so won't be subject to this.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:This is an excellent cover story for the P12 network's lack of advertisers. We need to eliminate commercial breaks to *wink* shorten the length of games.
Exactly. How Larry Scott got an extension blows the mind.
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

PHXCATS wrote:
MountainCat wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:

One will, very excited for it. Houston is on the ESPN networks so won't be subject to this.

I actually agree with you and hope this is change for the good. Can't wait for the season to start and don't care about how hot RR seat is to others. I thinks we will surprise a few. No one is giving us a chance. I like that.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

MountainCat wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
MountainCat wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:

I actually agree with you and hope this is change for the good. Can't wait for the season to start and don't care about how hot RR seat is to others. I thinks we will surprise a few. No one is giving us a chance. I like that.
Yes. Lets hope that even though this was born out of incompetence from Scott that this somehow catches on, that ad buyers are willing to spend more on the ad buys since inventory will be reduced, and this moves to all college football games.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

As someone who has left the stadium after midnight on several occasions, I'm good with this. My suggestion to help things along is no TV timeouts until each team has had a full possession in each half. No TV timeout on change of possession, after a TD, etc, until both teams have had the ball. It would let the teams establish a bit of a flow and shorten the game a bit. And it's frustrating as a fan when a team has a scoring drive and then there's a timeout after, just a few minutes in.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

MountainCat wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:

or if you're one of our central/east coast fans who actually wants to watch our mediocre team play NAU then the game will be over at 2:15 am instead of 2:30!
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Why would anyone in their right mind want to ever shorten a football game! :lol:
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

scumdevils86 wrote:
MountainCat wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:

or if you're one of our central/east coast fans who actually wants to watch our mediocre team play NAU then the game will be over at 2:15 am instead of 2:30!

I too used to live out east......I FULLY UNDERSTAND THE DELIMA.

Bear Down!
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

chiefzona wrote:Why would anyone in their right mind want to ever shorten a football game! :lol:
Want the same number of plays but in a shorter time frame.

Getting home at 1:45AM is not really fun.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

PHXCATS wrote:
chiefzona wrote:Why would anyone in their right mind want to ever shorten a football game! :lol:

I like it the way it is. I don't go to the games so it doesn't impact me at all.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

chiefzona wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:

I like it the way it is. I don't go to the games so it doesn't impact me at all.
Are you allowed to?

Talk a really big game for someone who wont back it up.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

PHXCATS wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:

Are you allowed to?

Yes, I am allowed to. Why wouldn't I be? Talk what game and won't back it up?
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

is he allowed to what? chief is a dbag on here but not going to the games of a mediocre to bad team doesn't mean shit. you can still be a fan. but we've been telling this to you for a decade and you don't get it. we're not going to stroke you just because you are proud of getting home at 2 am after watching us play a crappy game or get blown out. good for you.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

chiefzona wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:

Are you allowed to?

Yes, I am allowed to. Why wouldn't I be? Talk what game and won't back it up?
Just wondering if you were banned. You have been banned from scout so just curious if it was from Arizona Stadium also.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

PHXCATS wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:

Are you allowed to?

Yes, I am allowed to. Why wouldn't I be? Talk what game and won't back it up?[/quote]

Just wondering if you were banned. You have been banned from scout so just curious if it was from Arizona Stadium also.[/quote]

Who would ban me from Arizona games? I was never banned from Scout. I was suspended for one week and cancelled my subscription.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

They want more viewership but wont get DirecTV on board...What is this, year 6 w/o P12?