15 Donavan Tate

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ANGCatFan

15 Donavan Tate

Post by ANGCatFan »

Tate is a 6-2, 207, "Freshman" quarterback from minor league baseball, Cartersville HS, Cartersville, GA. Executive summary (google if you want more): #3 draft pick by the Padres in 2009, never made it out of minor leagues due to injuries and personal issues, now wants a crack at Football. I'll focus on the football side.

Here is his ESPN write up from 2009:
Tate is intriguing because, although he is labeled as an "athlete," he actually is a darn good quarterback prospect. But he needs the right scheme and coach in order to stay at the position. His size, speed and athleticism likely will get him moved to safety or wide receiver. Under center, he is an excellent dual threat. Has a wide receiver's build. He's quick, agile and elusive. Has very good pocket presence and can consistently escape the rush. Makes things happen after the initial play breaks down. Has good speed and wiggle in the open field for his height. Runs well, but doesn't limit himself as a passer. Clearly wants to throw first and run second. Shows patience in the pocket, keeps his eyes downfield when rushed and flushes only when he feels he must. Throws the ball very well and has confidence in his passing ability. Shows fairly smooth mechanics and a quick over-the-top delivery. Demonstrates touch, timing and accuracy. Has underrated arm strength. Throws very well on the run. Can throw off balance, buy time and still get the ball deep. Has good deep-ball arm strength when his feet are set. Sometimes locks on to his receivers and needs to quicken his progressions, but his quarterback skills--not just his athleticism--are impressive. He's very productive in all phases. Tate's uniform number (32) seems to suggest he won't stay at quarterback, and he's also an outstanding (and serious) baseball player. But his tools are attractive at any skill position.
He is a walk-on with college expenses being paid for by his baseball contract. Tate has a young family and has reported to camp in great shape and ready to make the most of this opportunity. It is a tough challenge to try and play football again after 8 years away, but early indication (from Desert Swarm) is that he will at least be competing for the #3 QB slot.
“He’s a grown man,” Rodriguez said of the 6-foot-2, 207-pound freshman. “We coach him like a grown man. He’s got some skills.”

. . .

“I’m there trying to help him out as much as I can, but he’s just being a sponge and that’s all you can ask for him to do is be a sponge, absorb everything you can and just learn,” Dawkins said. “Going from being a professional athlete in one sport and then trying to flip it over to another sport, that’s a feat in itself. The fact that he’s taking it on full speed, I can only commend him for it.”

. . .

“He’s an athletic, tough guy. He stuck his face in there,” Rodriguez said. “I don’t know if he ever ran into a catcher or tried to break up a double play, but he had about six or seven of those the other day.

“I’m excited about him, too.”
I love a redemption story, so I am rooting for Tate to succeed. I doubt that he redshirts, so don't be surprised if we see Tate early in the season (when the game is already decided) to give him some live action again.

15 may be an auspicious number choice for Tate since it was once worn by Ted Bland who some guy named Hansen believes is the best football player in Arizona history.
The best football player in Arizona history woke up early on Thanksgiving morning 1935 and walked from his parents’ house on Ninth Street, five minutes at most, to Bear Down Gym.

He ate an early Thanksgiving dinner with his 32 teammates and prepared to play the last football game of his life.

By the time Ted Bland pulled jersey No. 15 over his head, more than 8,000 people squeezed into 6-year-old Varsity Stadium to watch the “Blue Brigade” play the Drake Bulldogs.

Arizona won 53-0. Two weeks later, Bland was named a first-team “Little All-American,” which was that era’s equivalent of today’s Division II All-America team.

. . .

He worked for the FBI, the Border Patrol and the railroad. By 1942, he was at Fort Benning, Georgia, part of the Seventh Army, a different type of brigade, an infantry brigade, that would fight the Germans mile by mile in Italy and France.

The best football player of Arizona’s first 35 years of football was reported missing in action in late September 1944. Two weeks later, a telegram arrived at the Bland home on Ninth Street.

Their son had been killed by a bullet of a German sniper. He was buried at the Epinal American Cemetery just above the Moselle River in Dinozé, France.
Hansen writes well about history so read the entire article if you want more info on Bland.
ANGCatFan

Re: 15 Donavan Tate

Post by ANGCatFan »

GoAZCats with a good free interview with Tate. You can tell he has already been a pro.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2732 ... m=referral" target="_blank

On the front page of CNN currently.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Addiction is a bastard and I hope he can stay on the right path. I've seen too many people fighting it and even if he never plays a down, if he can keep his life together, then that's enough of a win.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

3 kids, and with a deadbeat dad himself I imagine he is a big part of their lives. Just can't imagine how he can handle being a parent, husband, student and Div I athlete all at the same time. Some serious props to him.
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

I hope the kid gets a shot. Soon.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

threenumberones wrote:I hope the kid gets a shot. Soon.

You surely couldn't want that.
threenumberones

Why not? Weeden and Wienke had big advantages to being older. Like both, Tate has played professional sports already. He's motivated by 3 kids and a wife at home, plus the tough road he has taken through addiction. All accounts I've read indicate he's working hard and has looked good, fundamentally. So simplify the playbook and see if he can hit a wide open receiver that's 15yrds away. It's not like an upgrade would be difficult. Some people are just gamers, and with his experience and focus at this stage in his life he could have an edge. If we are going to have a lost season let's make sure we know what we have on the bench.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

threenumberones wrote:Why not? Weeden and Wienke had big advantages to being older. Like both, Tate has played professional sports already. He's motivated by 3 kids and a wife at home, plus the tough road he has taken through addiction. All accounts I've read indicate he's working hard and has looked good, fundamentally. So simplify the playbook and see if he can hit a wide open receiver that's 15yrds away. It's not like an upgrade would be difficult. Some people are just gamers, and with his experience and focus at this stage in his life he could have an edge. If we are going to have a lost season let's make sure we know what we have on the bench.
+1
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

threenumberones wrote:Why not? Weeden and Wienke had big advantages to being older. Like both, Tate has played professional sports already. He's motivated by 3 kids and a wife at home, plus the tough road he has taken through addiction. All accounts I've read indicate he's working hard and has looked good, fundamentally. So simplify the playbook and see if he can hit a wide open receiver that's 15yrds away. It's not like an upgrade would be difficult. Some people are just gamers, and with his experience and focus at this stage in his life he could have an edge. If we are going to have a lost season let's make sure we know what we have on the bench.

The word from the RR camp is that he is far behind and not picking up the ZRO fast enough. Many said he was overwhelmed throughout camp. Now I understand what you're saying but RR already stopped the uptempo part of the ZRO because the starter can't handle the quickness of the offense. So, you're asking RR to completely water down his offense for a guy who is inaccurate and ineffective. Not a good plan for an already boring offense.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I know it's all about win baby win, nothing else, but D Tate has such a great human interest story if the season does end tanking, as expected, then it might bring the fans into the stadium. Just give him a few snaps in garbage time in some blowout. Does it really matter if the Cats lose 62-7 instead of 45-10?

Heck, if he is on the front page of CNN now...
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

threenumberones wrote:If we are going to have a lost season let's make sure we know what we have on the bench.
While I'd like to see what Tate can do, calling this a lost season two games in...
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

chiefzona wrote:The word from the RR camp is that he is far behind and not picking up the ZRO fast enough. Many said he was overwhelmed throughout camp. Now I understand what you're saying but RR already stopped the uptempo part of the ZRO because the starter can't handle the quickness of the offense. So, you're asking RR to completely water down his offense for a guy who is inaccurate and ineffective. Not a good plan for an already boring offense.
If only you had said the above before you said the below...
chiefzona wrote:
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Chicat wrote:
chiefzona wrote:The word from the RR camp is that he is far behind and not picking up the ZRO fast enough. Many said he was overwhelmed throughout camp. Now I understand what you're saying but RR already stopped the uptempo part of the ZRO because the starter can't handle the quickness of the offense. So, you're asking RR to completely water down his offense for a guy who is inaccurate and ineffective. Not a good plan for an already boring offense.
If only you had said the above before you said the below...
chiefzona wrote:

I say what I want. I don't live in constraints. I thought everyone had heard how bad he was at camp.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

chiefzona wrote:I say what I want. I don't live in constraints.
Heh
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

We aren't going to win games this year on talent... I say we let loose and get all gimmicky

I propose running a wildcat offense with both K. Tate and D. Tate.... it would totally confuse our opponents
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Alieberman wrote:We aren't going to win games this year on talent... I say we let loose and get all gimmicky

I propose running a wildcat offense with both K. Tate and D. Tate.... it would totally confuse our opponents

RR is already gimmicky and playing the role of a loser. What more do you want?
threenumberones

azpenguin wrote:
threenumberones wrote:If we are going to have a lost season let's make sure we know what we have on the bench.
While I'd like to see what Tate can do, calling this a lost season two games in...
Point taken, and usually I'm bagging on the chicken little stuff. Unfortunately I've been basically numb to the program for 2yrs now. I turned the game off at 3-3 Saturday and didn't even check the score until Sunday night. I'm embarrassed that I don't give a shit but that's where my head is at.