14 Khalil Tate (Aug 2017-Aug 2018)

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Merkin

Re: 14 Khalil Tate

Post by Merkin »

Alieberman wrote:Glad I didn't buy season tickets.... thanks Sports Illustrated.

https://www.azdesertswarm.com/football/ ... -DLOuROA20" target="_blank
prh

Re: 14 Khalil Tate (Aug 2017-Aug 2018)

Post by prh »

:lol: :lol: at the title change
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

One hit wonder version of college football. He really just has those 4 games last October and a good passing performance against Purdue...and that's it. Outside of that he's been a mediocre to bad qb that doesn't run and doesn't seem athletic or talented at all.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

He got hurt. It happens. Still, he's given us his best. Hopefully he'll get healthy and have a great season next year.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Carcassdragger wrote:He got hurt. It happens. Still, he's given us his best. Hopefully he'll get healthy and have a great season next year.
He got hurt last week yeah, in the 10 or so games before that be looked mediocre to bad....

KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

ASUHATER! wrote:
Carcassdragger wrote:He got hurt. It happens. Still, he's given us his best. Hopefully he'll get healthy and have a great season next year.
He got hurt last week yeah, in the 10 or so games before that be looked mediocre to bad....
I thinks he's been hurt for awhile. I think it's his foot. And he was pretty good against USC, ASU and Purdue last season.
Mike Luke's burner account.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

ASUHATER! wrote:
Been playing hurt all season. I don't get trashing a kid who has been trying to gut it out.
Last edited by Carcassdragger on Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Carcassdragger wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
Been playing hurt all season. I don't get trashing a kid who has bent trying to gut it out.
Curious to me too, the hate he gets for being out there when injured.

At least this week it will be avoided.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Carcassdragger wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
Been playing hurt all season. I don't get trashing a kid who has bent trying to gut it out.
A couple of notable pundits thought Tate's ankle(s) was better than Tate was letting on, until last week when it was really tweaked. Along with the UA letting it appear that Tate was able to pick the new head coach. Tate also stated he needs to know how to pass in order to get into the NFL, and appears with 3 games left last season to prove that he is more Peyton Manning than Cam Newton. Even last season the last 3 games his biggest rushing amount was 52 yards, and although he passed well, the UA lost all 3.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Carcassdragger wrote:Been playing hurt all season. I don't get trashing a kid who has bent trying to gut it out.
If he's hurt he's hiding it from the coaches and trainers. His problem is upstairs
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Jefe wrote:
Carcassdragger wrote:Been playing hurt all season. I don't get trashing a kid who has bent trying to gut it out.
If he's hurt he's hiding it from the coaches and trainers. His problem is upstairs

These kids playing their hearts out and giving it their best, even when hurt, deserve better than this crap for their efforts.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

When should we get on update on his status for the Oregon game?
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

PieceOfMeat wrote:When should we get on update on his status for the Oregon game?
Last I looked Sumlin doesn't comment on injuries.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

azgreg wrote:
PieceOfMeat wrote:When should we get on update on his status for the Oregon game?
Last I looked Sumlin doesn't comment on injuries.
I just figured that since we knew in advance that Rhett would be starting on the road, that we'd know in advance who was starting at home.

blackjacker

Post by blackjacker »

Tate had a pretty good game against the Buffs. I still think there were a couple of times he should have thrown it away, and of course times he could have run, but he did pretty well as a pocket QB.

It is obvious now that taking him out of his running game was intentional, regardless of the ankle injury.

I don't know if he told the staff he would transfer rather than play as a dual threat or something or if it was a staff decision.

I do think that that decision may have cost us some games this year.

There is little doubt in my mind that Tate will make the mistake of leaving early for the NFL. Another year in this offense would vastly improve his chances to be drafted as a QB, but I don't think that's going to happen.
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

blackjacker wrote:Tate had a pretty good game against the Buffs. I still think there were a couple of times he should have thrown it away, and of course times he could have run, but he did pretty well as a pocket QB.

It is obvious now that taking him out of his running game was intentional, regardless of the ankle injury.

I don't know if he told the staff he would transfer rather than play as a dual threat or something or if it was a staff decision.

There is little doubt in my mind that Tate will make the mistake of leaving early for the NFL. Another year in this offense would vastly improve his chances to be drafted as a QB, but I don't think that's going to happen.

I'm not sure about that. Usually by now you have some inkling someone is going to leave. We knew for sure Scooby was leaving. If he does leave its going to be a big mistake for him. I just don't see him playing QB in the NFL. He might want to take a look and see how many quarterbacks are coming out this year.
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

blackjacker wrote:Tate had a pretty good game against the Buffs. I still think there were a couple of times he should have thrown it away, and of course times he could have run, but he did pretty well as a pocket QB.

Tate definitely had one of his better passing games. He made some bad decisions but they didn't hurt him because his WRs made plays on the ball. Either way, he threw a catchable ball.

Of course the plan was for Tate to run less than last year, there are not many offensives that have the QB run more than RichRod's. However, some of the lack of running is Tate's choice. We seem to run the RO often but Tate pretty much never keeps it. That is his choice.

IMO Tate has no place in the NFL as a QB and it would be a stupid choice to leave early. I would guess that he goes undrafted if he left early. He probably needs to switch positions to have a chance at an NFL future.
blackjacker

Post by blackjacker »

tgrumpy2 wrote:

I'm not sure about that. Usually by now you have some inkling someone is going to leave. We knew for sure Scooby was leaving.
You might be right. I just have a feeling.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

I think most of this is nonsense. I believe he was injured before the season started. Ankle sprains are nagging and last a while. If healthy, he may have run less than last year, but he still would've run more than he ended up doing, and he would've had a better base to throw from.

As it is he gave his best while injured. Not an easy thing.

Also, I think he'll stick around for another year. Sure hope so. If he stays healthy an entire season, look out.
blackjacker

Post by blackjacker »

Carcassdragger wrote:I think most of this is nonsense. I believe he was injured before the season started. Ankle sprains are nagging and last a while. If healthy, he may have run less than last year, but he still would've run more than he ended up doing, and he would've had a better base to throw from.

As it is he gave his best while injured. Not an easy thing.

Also, I think he'll stick around for another year. Sure hope so. If he stays healthy an entire season, look out.
I don't remember hearing about any practice injuries but maybe you are right.
Guess I've been listening to the guys here who said he stopped running last November.
The Butcher

Post by The Butcher »

Barcelo 7
Doutrive 4
Ira Lee 13

Plus26

The Butcher

Post by The Butcher »

Whoops
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

I wonder if he'll be the starter next year

HaCats

Post by HaCats »

Why wouldn’t he be? Are you suggesting Khalil was the problem tonight?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I wonder if he will be here next year
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

HaCats wrote:Why wouldn’t he be?
maybe there will be a better option at the position next year?
HaCats wrote: Are you suggesting Khalil was the problem tonight?
What the hell are you talking about?

HaCats

Post by HaCats »

What the hell are you talking about? Please explain, I’m actually curious.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

HaCats wrote:What the hell are you talking about? Please explain, I’m actually curious.
The qb recruit we have coming in.

HaCats

Post by HaCats »

Yes i’m sure a true freshman will be a better option for us than a healthy (hopefully) Khalil.
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

Based on the decisions this year, I would be surprised if Sumlin sat Tate.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

HaCats wrote:Yes i’m sure a true freshman will be a better option for us than a healthy (hopefully) Khalil.
Happened before hasn't it? When a true freshman named Khalil Tate took over for the starter Brandon Dawkins who was injured but lost his spot even when healthy.

No idea if Grant Gunnell will be ready as a freshman, but he is a Sumlin recruit and is more pro-style than Tate.

Tate has a tremendous arm, but just makes some terrible passes while sitting in the pocket. He made a couple of fantastic passes while rolling out, but twice missed wide open receivers for TDs.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

Merkin wrote:
HaCats wrote:Yes i’m sure a true freshman will be a better option for us than a healthy (hopefully) Khalil.
Happened before hasn't it? When a true freshman named Khalil Tate took over for the starter Brandon Dawkins who was injured but lost his spot even when healthy.

No idea if Grant Gunnell will be ready as a freshman, but he is a Sumlin recruit and is more pro-style than Tate.

Tate has a tremendous arm, but just makes some terrible passes while sitting in the pocket. He made a couple of fantastic passes while rolling out, but twice missed wide open receivers for TDs.
He has a strong arm but no touch. You can have a strong arm, but you don’t need to use it on every throw.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
Sid

Post by Sid »

OSUCat wrote:
Merkin wrote:

He has a strong arm but no touch. You can have a strong arm, but you don’t need to use it on every throw.
He sure has a lot of HS accolades for not having any touch.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

that’s why HS accolades can be wrong. Tate has a hard time with swing passes/RB outlets or any type of fade route. He wants to rocket the pass everywhere. The wide open TD pass that he rocketed instead of taking heat off it the pass is a great example.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

How many offers did Tate get as a QB?

Didn't most schools just want him as an athlete?

UA was at least the only Power 5 school to offer him as a QB.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Sid wrote:He sure has a lot of HS accolades for not having any touch.
College 2nd and 3rd strings are littered with kids that have HS accolades.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azgreg wrote:
Sid wrote:He sure has a lot of HS accolades for not having any touch.
College 2nd and 3rd strings are littered with kids that have HS accolades.

UA had a couple of 3rd string QBs that were 5 star QBs in HS. Failed at their initial 4 year, then went the JC route then ended up at the UA. Forgot their names, but one is renowned for giving himself a concussion by walking onto the team bus.

Don't think either one completed 50% of their passes at the JC. One had a bad big toe.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

There's 3 options currently on the table:

1. Mazzone returns, Tate transfers
2. Tate returns, Mazzone retires or leaves
3. Both are gone
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

ChooChooCat wrote:There's 3 options currently on the table:

3. Both are gone
More Tate making coaching decisions?
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

3. Both are gone
Are we bad fans if we are ok with any of those scenarios?
cats101

Re: 14 Khalil Tate

Post by cats101 »

CalStateTempe wrote:You wanna talk bad fans...

Bad fans kept us from the rose bowl in 2009 when they felt like jumping the rail for sideline standing room only seats with half the 4th left to go.

But we can’t talk about the random shit that always breaks against Arizona fb (and sports in general)
Just seeing this. What a kick to the gut. Probably the longest day off my life. Maybe 2 hours of sleep then to college gameday at 3 in the morning, tailgating etc. Was in the Zoo, one scene (prior to the field rush) to remember. The Foles TD with 7(?) minutes to go. The rest is history. Don't think I've ever seen a stadium so mad after, though the Zendajas debacle was close (was ready to fight after this one, thank goodness I didn't drink yet). Embarrassing aftermath.

Anyway, what a trip down nightmare lane. The only way I "rationalize" it is there was no guarantee this team beat USC and asu to end the season. Needed a game winning FG to beat a bad asu team (from Zendajas!-- my first game in tempee btw!) And a win at USC, which I believe Az had lost 9 straight at the time. That's my silver lining and I'm sticking to it.
prh

Post by prh »

I'll take any QB who can
1. throw the ball away instead of stepping OOB for an 8 yard loss
2. not throw every sideline/corner end zone pass OOB, nullifying any chance for a catch and/or PI
3. doesn't fake injuries or think he is such big shit to try to control department decisions
4. not have a noodle arm

Doesn't seem like too much to ask for
blackjacker

Post by blackjacker »

3. Both are gone
Option 3 works for me.
With or without Mazzone, I don't think Sumlin will use Tate as a dual threat, so I hope he transfers and gets a chance at the NFL as a receiver or something.

If we have to keep Sumlin, then might as well start fresh with a real pro style QB. We're fucked for several years anyway.
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

3. Both are gone
I’ll take number 1 please. I don’t like all of Mazzone’s play calling but I think a lot of it has to do with having a QB who doesn’t know how to play the position. Seems like Tate is a problem on and off the field.
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

I'll take choice 2.
Mike Luke's burner account.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

I disagree with pretty much all these latest posts - other than the possible need for Mazzone to go. Next season, if Tate is healthy long enough to settle in, he could be great-and the idea he has faked an injury is preposterous and stupid.
blackjacker

Post by blackjacker »

DrWildcat wrote:
Seems like Tate is a problem on and off the field.
I blame Sumlin. He is the boss and he had to sign off on not running the offense to Tate's strengths.

I think his hire was a mistake.
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

blackjacker wrote:
DrWildcat wrote:
Seems like Tate is a problem on and off the field.
I blame Sumlin. He is the boss and he had to sign off on not running the offense to Tate's strengths.

I agree that this ultimately falls on Sumlin as it seems like his management of the QB situation has been poor. If Mazzone would rather leave/retire than coach Tate for another year that tells me all I need to know about the situation.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

blackjacker wrote:
DrWildcat wrote:

Just complete nonsense. Where did you get this idea?
blackjacker

Post by blackjacker »

Carcassdragger wrote:
blackjacker wrote:
DrWildcat wrote:

Just complete nonsense. Where did you get this idea?
What idea? That the offense has been changed to favor a pro style QB rather than a dual threat? I think that's pretty obvious. Sumlin is in charge so he is responsible for that.

That his hire was a mistake? That's an opinion, not an idea.