on and on and on...
Would you be happy with every 5 years:

1 NY6/Possible playoff shot
2 above average years
1 average year
1 bad year
Hell Yeah... assuming:
- An average year is 7-5
- A bad year is 6-6. maybe 5-7 if we play real OOC competition.
-
scumdevils86

Re: Fire RR

Post by scumdevils86 »

btfd16 wrote:
scumdevils86 wrote:homer fan base's dream seasons:

2017 7-6
2018 6-7
2019 7-6
2020 6-7
2021 7-6
2022 6-7
on and on and on...
Would you be happy with every 5 years:

2 above average years
1 average year
1 bad year
if you're saying 7-5 is above average for regular season records then no
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

this is what i'm talking about. people think that going 7-5 with 3 cupcake ooc wins and a losing conference record and a losing record to the la schools and asu is "above average". you can't make this shit up with homer uofa fans. lordy.

above average is 9-10 wins with a win over asu and a shot at a conference division title.
Last edited by scumdevils86 on Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

scumdevils86 wrote:this is what i'm talking about. people think that going 7-5 with 3 cupcake ooc wins and a losing conference record and a losing record to the la schools and asu is "above average". you can't make this shit up with homer uofa fans. lordy.
I know we went to UofA but if you can count, we had 8 wins both years. Which is, by definition, above average.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

scumdevils86 wrote:this is what i'm talking about. people think that going 7-5 with 3 cupcake ooc wins and a losing conference record and a losing record to the la schools and asu is "above average". you can't make this shit up with homer uofa fans. lordy.
So happy to know how much better you think you are compared to everyone else.

Also please quote all the posts that say 7-5 is what everyone wants
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

btfd16 wrote: Would you be happy with every 5 years:

2 above average years
1 average year
1 bad year
I would. Look what Mike Price did at Wazzu. Some pretty bad seasons, but had 2 Rose Bowl appearances during his tenure there.

Been waiting since 1981 since I was a freshman to go to a Rose Bowl. I might be dead in 36 more years.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

btfd16 wrote:
I know we went to UofA but if you can count, we had 8 wins both years. Which is, by definition, above average.
again let's explain this to everyone... a losing conference record, a losing record against rivals and winning 7 games a year (plus maybe an 8th in a shitty low level bowl game) is what is considered "above average"???

that is the problem here. loser mentality that accepts mediocrity. how can winning 7+ games be above average when almost 60-70% of schools do it year to year?
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

What people are saying on this board-We want things to be better and to get to the Rose Bowl and College Football Playoff but it is really hard at U of A so lets be careful about letting go of RR because he is also building something right now based on the young contributors and especially the last three games. We are not there yet but better than where we have been most of our history

Chief and I am better than you SD86-You all are happy with 7-5 and I am better than you and so much smarter than you.

Also the two clowns who dont go to the games but act so much better than everyone else are Chief and big head sd86
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

it is hard to decipher what you're trying to say machina. try it in gif form next time. that's the only way i can understand you.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

My take:

Win 3 cream puff non con
Win to a 5-4 conference record, would prefer asu but will take what I can get with Arizona.
Anything more than this is a "good year"

That's an 8-4 season there. To me that is an average season in today's college football climate and one I think most can be happy with. Also give us a base for recruiting and positive momentum.

7-5 or 6-6 are below average seasons, anything less that that is a bad year.

7-5 is settling for mediocrity IMO.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

CalStateTempe wrote:My take:

Win 3 cream puff non con
Win to a 5-4 conference record, would prefer asu but will take what I can get with Arizona.

That's an 8-4 season there. To me that is an average season in today's college football climate and one I think most can be happy with. Also give us a base for recruiting and positive momentum.

perfect
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Win 3 cream puff non con

Agree on 7-5 is not good enough year in and year out. However THIS YEAR with the disaster last year I think 7-5 is good, but 8-4 shuts the door on any conversation that he should not return year.

Win Saturday and a good PAC-12 bowl is a possibility.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

PHXCATS wrote:

Win 3 cream puff non con

Agree on 7-5 is not good enough year in and year out. However THIS YEAR with the disaster last year I think 7-5 is good, but 8-4 shuts the door on any conversation that he should not return year.

Win Saturday and a good PAC-12 bowl is a possibility.
Of course everything is relative. Compared to thinking we'd be 4-8, I'm fine with a 7-5 season this year. As mentioned earlier despite starting this thread, I now don't think RR should be fired, and even can reason to extend him one or two season for continuity with Tate, and see if he can get consistent with recruiting.

But i no longer think of rr as the guru I once did earlier in his time at Arizona; sure he might be competitive but by and large he is an average gimmicky coach. So long as we are winning and the kids are ready to play, I can live with that. But I don't think he's going to get us to the rose bowl and will bolt the money a program with bigger tits (money) comes along.

And to the posters that are all "but cst, wouldn't you bolt for a higher paying, higher profile job given the chance" we'd have to agree to disagree as I see the likes of Louisville and ntUSC as lateral moves at best.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

The ships sailed on a higher profile job for RR IMO. After Michigan, the clemsons, Auburns, and Florida st's of the college football world won't touch him.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

above average is 9-10 wins with a win over asu and a shot at a conference division title.
7-5 is .588.

Tomey was .595. Stoops was .451. Smith was .627. Mackovic didn't exist.

7-5 is about Arizona's historical result. That's sort of why I don't get why people are bucking for the idea that 7-5 from RR is unacceptable. The only modern coach we had who exceeded that left us for USC.

That's also why I don't get the idea that if we fire RR, we are likely to get better than 7-5. Of our last 4 coaches, one was above that by a bit. One was basically at that mark and two were significantly worse. What odds are we playing?
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

ugh. 7-5 now is fucking irrelevant when comparing to coaches 30/40/50 years ago. completely. irrelevant.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

scumdevils86 wrote:
wyo-cat wrote:
Merkin wrote:Hey, they are OKGs! Too small, too slow, but have huge hearts!

That's why RichRod needs a gimmicky offense and defense to win.

But have to give him credit for letting Yates finally having a free hand in the defense. Still sucks on 3rd downs, and gives up a ton of points, but from the eyeball test, they look better.

And HOLY SHIT!!! Yates has them in double digit rankings, 91st. http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/ ... team/22/p2" target="_blank

First time they haven't been in the triple digit rankings for quite some time.
Incremental improvement. All we can ask for. They aren't going to be top 20 over night. If Gates can get the D into the 50's next season, I would be happy.
Would be a record under RR for total defense:

2012-122nd
2013-63rd
2014-105th
2015-115th
2016-115th
2017-91st

Not that we would be top 10, but the only defensive stat that really measures shit is yards per play. Because if you are running a hurry up offense and pushing play counts to 95, comparing yards surrendered or points surrendered to a team that plays to 65 plays is apples and oranges. You are putting your defense on the field more, with less rest, etc, in order to score more points. Which is the name of the game.

It would be the same as taking our yards per game on offense and comparing it to Utah and saying "we DESTROY you on offense". No...not really. Not unless our yards per play is well above them as well.

# of yards surrendered each time the two teams line up measures efficiency.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Or I could put it

Ugh...Yards surrendered per game is completely irrelevant when comparing teams who play hurry up vs those who don't. Completely. Irrelevant

but I try to at least pretend like I have respect.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

EVCat wrote:Or I could put it

Ugh...Yards surrendered per game is completely irrelevant when comparing teams who play hurry up vs those who don't. Completely. Irrelevant

:roll: have mercy
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

For instance...Miami (OH) is ranked 40 in yards per game.

But is allowing 5.46 yards per play...same as us. Yet we are 91.

The only difference in the two defenses is how many plays they face.

That site doesn't give yards per play, but I imagine we are near the lower middle.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

scumdevils86 wrote:

For what? You have a monopoly on ridiculous comments?
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

We are 41st in the nation in yards surrendered per play, the one stat that puts defenses on an even playing field. It ain't great...but it isn't 91st, either

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-fo ... s-per-play
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

scumdevils86 wrote:

So you really believe Northern Illinois has the 12th best defense in the nation?
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

And we are 8th in offensive yards per play

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-fo ... s-per-play
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Arizona Wildcats:

8th in the nation in yards per play (out of 130)
41st in the nation in yards surrendered per play

none of these stats, by themselves, consider strength of schedule. But for those worried that the early OOC impacted these numbers, our yards surrendered goes up .1 yard per play in the last 3 games.

But the yards per play does, actually, consider how you have done against your level of competition vs opponents performance against their level of competition. The yards per game on offense and defense are about the as worthless a stat as points per game in basketball. Who gives a shit if you surrender 101 ppg if you score 120? But points per possession? Now we are talking.

Yards per play is football's version of that. Points per possession doesn't have as much meaning in football because of the small number of possessions relatively (and the lack of a possession clock in football) and the number of possessions a team with the lead stalls for the purpose of ending the game.

Offense yards per play: https://www.teamrankings.com/college-fo ... s-per-play

Defense yards per play: https://www.teamrankings.com/college-fo ... s-per-play
Last edited by EVCat on Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
the real dill

Post by the real dill »

I never realized what a big deal RR got. Sandwiched between Urban and Jimbo.

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/" target="_blank
Last edited by the real dill on Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

PHXCATS wrote:
scumdevils86 wrote:

So you really believe Northern Illinois has the 12th best defense in the nation?
absolutely. i'd put them up against 2011 or 2015 Alabama or hell even the 92 cats any saturday!!
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

scumdevils86 wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
scumdevils86 wrote:

absolutely. i'd put them up against 2011 or 2015 Alabama or hell even the 92 cats any saturday!!
I think you missed his point...completely.

But when the hyperbole dries up, look at the numbers that matter.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

the first time machina has a valid point about anything will be a true miracle. of course yards per play makes the most difference. good lord. and so does scoring. whodathunkit?
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

PHXCATS wrote:What people are saying on this board-We want things to be better and to get to the Rose Bowl and College Football Playoff but it is really hard at U of A so lets be careful about letting go of RR because he is also building something right now based on the young contributors and especially the last three games. We are not there yet but better than where we have been most of our history

Chief and I am better than you SD86-You all are happy with 7-5 and I am better than you and so much smarter than you.

Also the two clowns who dont go to the games but act so much better than everyone else are Chief and big head sd86

Crying out loud. Someone give that man a period and a comma.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

CalStateTempe wrote: Win 3 cream puff non con.
I hate the cream-puff schedules.

Wasn't the attendance at those games the lower in Arizona Stadium since the WAC days?

1 Gimme FCS game
1 mid major
1 power 5

That's what the fans want to see at home. Otherwise you will see the zona zoo heading off the parties at halftime, and the dads deciding they want to get back to watch the news.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

7-5 is .588.

Tomey was .595. Stoops was .451. Smith was .627. Mackovic didn't exist.

7-5 is about Arizona's historical result. That's sort of why I don't get why people are bucking for the idea that 7-5 from RR is unacceptable. The only modern coach we had who exceeded that left us for USC.

That's also why I don't get the idea that if we fire RR, we are likely to get better than 7-5. Of our last 4 coaches, one was above that by a bit. One was basically at that mark and two were significantly worse. What odds are we playing?
Rather than bore you with ridiculous details like the guaranteed extra win that any current coach (should) have - given that perennial cream puff scheduling which is a relatively recent phenomenon (and was certainly not the case during the Smith & Tomey eras)... why not look at Conference records?

NO WAY.... only overall records and BOWL GAMES! Since you insist on comparing apples and oranges, which suits the agenda... fine, I'll play.

Who care if RR stays or goes (voluntarily or not)... since only half the time he achieves "Arizona's historical result" - even with his built in scheduling advantages. Hell, if he leaves we should be able to continue on our 'traditional' trend and save some serious $$$ along the way by getting any coach with a pulse.

I am parked exactly where CST is. This year is A LOT of fun, and if the team continues on its current trend - RR will have absolutely earned not only a stay but an extension.

But skewing statistics (by ignoring important nuances) in scheduling and postseason differences... to try and prove that "RR is no worse than our historical norm"?

Sorry.... not compelling,
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Merkin wrote: I hate the cream-puff schedules.

Wasn't the attendance at those games the lower in Arizona Stadium since the WAC days?

1 Gimme FCS game
1 mid major
1 power 5

That's what the fans want to see at home. Otherwise you will see the zona zoo heading off the parties at halftime, and the dads deciding they want to get back to watch the news.
That's not what I want to see.

I want two games against competition around 40-80 RPI, but clear wins that we clearly win.

Then two conference games.

Then a bye.

Then three more conference games.

Then another non conference game against a 50-100 RPI team, but a clear win that we clearly win while getting to rest starters.

Then four more conference games.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

schedule easy conference style. Nice
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Keep in mind how rare it has been for UA teams to improve their conference records year to year. Since start of UA Pac days, only two coaches have improved their conference wins by 3 games from prior year. It's only happened in three seasons. Tomey did it twice and RR once.

The great Larry Smith spent his entire time at UA improving his teams conference records in the years he did by 1 game at a time. Majority of Tomey years were staying flat with conference records or having be worse year-to-year, Stoops too.

Tomey, Stoops and RR have all had seasons where 1 or 2 conference wins was their starting point to improve upon.

RR needs 1 more win to be the 4th time since 1978 a UA team have improved by 3 conference wins from previous year (also his 2nd time to do it, ties Tomey)

2 more wins and RR does something no other UA coach has done since 1978.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:Keep in mind how rare it has been for UA teams to improve their conference records year to year. Since start of UA Pac days, only two coaches have improved their conference wins by 3 games from prior year. It's only happened in three seasons. Tomey did it twice and RR once.

The great Larry Smith spent his entire time at UA improving his teams conference records in the years he did by 1 game at a time. Majority of Tomey years were staying flat with conference records or having be worse year-to-year, Stoops too.

Tomey, Stoops and RR have all had seasons where 1 or 2 conference wins was their starting point to improve upon.

RR needs 1 more win to be the 4th time since 1978 a UA team have improved by 3 conference wins from previous year (also his 2nd time to do it, ties Tomey)

I hope you didn't pull something stretching so hard
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

scumdevils86 wrote:
RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:Keep in mind how rare it has been for UA teams to improve their conference records year to year. Since start of UA Pac days, only two coaches have improved their conference wins by 3 games from prior year. It's only happened in three seasons. Tomey did it twice and RR once.

I hope you didn't pull something stretching so hard

Dude, you post on here writing your RR opinion FAR more than I do. If anyone has pulled a hammy, it's you.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

Merkin wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote: Win 3 cream puff non con.
I hate the cream-puff schedules.

1 Gimme FCS game
1 mid major
1 power 5

This happens no matter who we play. Left for USC, left for Oregon, pretty sure they even left for OkSt.
Last edited by btfd16 on Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
cats101

Post by cats101 »

Rounding out the top five in salaries this season are Clemson Tigers coach Dabo Swinney at about $8.5 million, Michigan Wolverines coach Jim Harbaugh at $7 million, Ohio State Buckeyes coach Urban Meyer at $6.4 million and Arizona Wildcats coach Rich Rodriguez at $5.6 million.
http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... 11-million" target="_blank

The quote doesn't tell the whole story, as I believe most of his salary his due to a "retention bonus" but wow, he's in elite company, at least for this year. :shock:
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

cats101 wrote:
Rounding out the top five in salaries this season are Clemson Tigers coach Dabo Swinney at about $8.5 million, Michigan Wolverines coach Jim Harbaugh at $7 million, Ohio State Buckeyes coach Urban Meyer at $6.4 million and Arizona Wildcats coach Rich Rodriguez at $5.6 million.
http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... 11-million" target="_blank

The quote doesn't tell the whole story, as I believe most of his salary his due to a "retention bonus" but wow, he's in elite company, at least for this year. :shock:

About half is from his retention bonus. Doesn't have it yet. Also comes from the Donor and not the athletic dept.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Ahh... Just so we're clear, to improve on your previous season's win count by three games at mid-season? That means you had a really, really shitty previous season. But hey, congratulations!
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I wasn't touting any stats...but you missed that part. I posted a list echoing what merk was saying. Keep fighting the good fight boys. Also if you think machina is above mocking after the shtick he's pulled for about a decade well...you missed a lot.

edit: evcat deleted his post rather quick
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Puerco wrote:

Ahh... Just so we're clear, to improve on your previous season's win count by three games at mid-season? That means you had a really, really shitty previous season. But hey, congratulations!
absolutely true. But also fair to say the ability to do so after such a shitty season is pretty solid evidence the shitty season was an aberration, since you can't really improve a roster that much in one year in football. And, yes, Tate, but yes, the defense has been much improved (as shown above) and the line has been tremendous.

So if it is fair to note how bad a single year is, it is also fair to note when a team improves considerably off of it under the same coach. You would expect the trend to continue downward. Instead, it is a weird drop in an otherwise consistently higher level. And while 8-5 isn't the greatest record ever, you can pretty much take every lower half PAC 12 record and bump it by one win against the non Big-10 teams around the country playing that aren't playing that 9 game schedule. Yeah, 8-5 is pretty blah in modern football, but it is not the same in the PAC and Big 10 that it is in other conferences. That 4th OOC game is, in most years, for most P5 teams, a win. In 50% of the PAC, it is a loss. And, of course, the closer to the bottom half you get, the more likely that 9th game was a loss. In most conferences, you can schedule yourself to 4-0.
Last edited by EVCat on Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

scumdevils86 wrote:I wasn't touting any stats...but you missed that part. I posted a list echoing what merk was saying. Keep fighting the good fight boys. Also if you think machina is above mocking after the shtick he's pulled for about a decade well...you missed a lot.

edit: evcat deleted his post rather quick
I just didn't feel like continuing the argument. He cracked your stat, you missed his attempt at sarcasm. Whatever. It just isn't worth it and seemed out of place this many posts forward...
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

only the true homers can see that we've averaged bottom 20-25th percentile in an important defensive stat for 6 years and run with that as a positive and call it "cracked". :lol:
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

scumdevils86 wrote:only the true homers can see that we've averaged bottom 20-25th percentile in an important defensive stat for 6 years and run with that as a positive and call it "cracked". :lol:
You still don't get it. He was making fun of you for using that total yards stat. Then you said "yeah..Northern Illinois is totally the 92 Tide" or whatever....and Northern Illinois was only #12 in the fucked up stat line you were using.

He was making fun of you using that total yards per game stat rather than the more accurate one. Then you made a sarcastic post toward him about Northern Illinois clearly not really being the #12 team in defense by sarcastically comparing them to great teams. Except they were only #12 in the stat you touted...the yards per play had Ohio State #12, and the teams using that stat were pretty reasonable.

THAT's what I pointed out, but then removed because it didn't need to be continued yet you seem to be begging for it to be discussed, so there you go. You missed that he was making fun of your using a worthless, pointless stat to determine our ranking. And you missed it. That's fine. But that's what is there, and I pointed out you missed his point.

And this will be my last post on this. Feel free to run a victory lap for yourself with some sarcastic reply and laugh emoji. I expect it....
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

*This just in!*

*NEWS BULLETIN*

RR not fired

*END OF BROADCAST*
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

EVCat wrote:
scumdevils86 wrote:only the true homers can see that we've averaged bottom 20-25th percentile in an important defensive stat for 6 years and run with that as a positive and call it "cracked". :lol:
You still don't get it. He was making fun of you for using that total yards stat. Then you said "yeah..Northern Illinois is totally the 92 Tide" or whatever....and Northern Illinois was only #12 in the fucked up stat line you were using.

He was making fun of you using that total yards per game stat rather than the more accurate one. Then you made a sarcastic post toward him about Northern Illinois clearly not really being the #12 team in defense by sarcastically comparing them to great teams. Except they were only #12 in the stat you touted...the yards per play had Ohio State #12, and the teams using that stat were pretty reasonable.

THAT's what I pointed out, but then removed because it didn't need to be continued yet you seem to be begging for it to be discussed, so there you go. You missed that he was making fun of your using a worthless, pointless stat to determine our ranking. And you missed it. That's fine. But that's what is there, and I pointed out you missed his point.

And this will be my last post on this. Feel free to run a victory lap for yourself with some sarcastic reply and laugh emoji. I expect it....
the fact that you think you're explaining something to me that is somehow revelatory to anyone that follows our team is the best part of all of this. it truly is impressive. and most people who know anything about football would not dismiss a more than half decade trend of general sucking in major statistical categories in order to say "see, we are good!".
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

UALoco wrote:*This just in!*

*NEWS BULLETIN*

RR not fired

*END OF BROADCAST*
Source?
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

and lastly this yards per play stat. sure. it looks better than always being above 100...but does it show that we are anything other than mediocre to bad? nope. but keep on keepin' on with "cracking" the stats.

2017-53rd
2016-96th
2015-93rd
2014-75th
2013-37th
2012-88th