General Malaise and Complaining about the Football Program

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

CalStateTempe

General Malaise and Complaining about the Football Program

Post by CalStateTempe »

I've seen enough.

Defense is trash. Mid major talent. A coach who is clearly checked out.

Fire RR
whatisee

Re: Fire RR

Post by whatisee »

:lol:
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Please please fire him. Nothing has changed in several years and there is no fan interest or talent or hope in the program. New blood is desperately needed if we want to be anything more than a 2-6 win teams for eternity.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

whatisee wrote::lol:
Your response reflects how every objective Cat fan reacts to one of your Kool-Aid Brigade homer takes.

I disagree with my main man CST here... I am somewhere between him and my other favorite poster AzCat49.

Honor the process. It will lead to the appropriate outcome in due time... which may come before Halloween, but it is not here yet.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

CalStateTempe wrote:Fire RR
That would be an odd move from a PR perspective. But I realize this is a classic CST knee-jerk reaction/venting take. Not that you actually want Heeke to set himself up as the guy who no one wants to work for because he's as emotional and impulsive as ..... well, ..... you.

As Harv notes, the dominoes will eventually fall one way or the other. I'm doubting things end up with RR getting an extension but weirder things have happened.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Yeah I doubt CST is advocating for RR getting shitcanned immediately, but if we're fielding the team that was on the field last night against the rest of the Pac-12 then it's almost certainly a guarantee this season, whether in the middle of it or the end of it, will be RR's last call.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Of course don't fire him after one game, that would be a pr disaster.

However the writing is on the wall and this team is terrible.

I don't feel the need to have to wait 4-5 games to say that.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I agree that this should be RRs last year but our next coach will also yield the same results... as will our coach after him... and on and on....
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

We have a 53% winning percentage since joining the Pac, good for an average of 6.3 wins and 5.4 losses a year. That's 39 seasons. We've won more than 8 games 4 times in those 39 seasons. We just are what we are.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

scumdevils86 wrote:We have a 53% winning percentage since joining the Pac, good for an average of 6.3 wins and 5.4 losses a year. That's 39 seasons. We've won more than 8 games 4 times in those 39 seasons. We just are what we are.
And that's exactly who we are, and who we have always been.

Mediocre with a good team once every decade.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Lowest attendance in 15 years for an opening game of the season at 44,000. I think wacked out oh vic was the coach that year.

Could have been the holiday weekend or the late start or the opponent. No one was tailgating, no one was at the wildcat walk so whether early or late, not many chose to attend. That may get RR faster than the won loss record. The belief is gone
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

No sole football championship ever in the PAC or the WAC.

No UA QB in the PAC era ever took a snap in a regular season NFL game until Foles.

Program is cursed.

Was hoping Nick Foles could break both curses.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

I don't want RR to overachieve anything this year. Plz be trash and can him at the end.

If he isn't fired and RR wins 7-8 games in a year or two, that would be absolute disaster..
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

In many seasons we could look at our schedule and say the first 7 games are all winnable. Could you imagine if he caught lightning in a bottle this year
CatMG

Post by CatMG »

I look at the schedule and see MAYBE a 3-0 start followed by MAYBE 1 Pac-12 victory. It wouldn't shock me if last night was the only win of the season.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

CalStateTempe wrote:Of course don't fire him after one game, that would be a pr disaster.

However the writing is on the wall and this team is terrible.

I don't feel the need to have to wait 4-5 games to say that.
We won by 38. I share your doubt that it will transition into better opponents, but we'll see. RR's performance will work itself out in terms of his future.
TuiTouchdown

Post by TuiTouchdown »

Jesus Christ guys. We won. Let's hold off until it's deserved. Sure it was a poor defensive performance. Wonder what the state of the meltdown would be if you were ASU or USC fans.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

TuiTouchdown wrote:Jesus Christ guys. We won. Let's hold off until it's deserved. Sure it was a poor defensive performance. Wonder what the state of the meltdown would be if you were ASU or USC fans.
Do you really not see the issues laid bare last night as huge problems?

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

No 3 and outs against a FCS team.

UA offense had a 3 and out on their very first series.
TuiTouchdown

Post by TuiTouchdown »

ASUHATER! wrote:
TuiTouchdown wrote:Jesus Christ guys. We won. Let's hold off until it's deserved. Sure it was a poor defensive performance. Wonder what the state of the meltdown would be if you were ASU or USC fans.
Yeah I do. But you don't fire a coach after a commanding win. Plus a lot of our D were freshman and first time playing college ball. Which speaks to a larger problem, sure. But save it for a loss.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

TuiTouchdown wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
Yeah I do. But you don't fire a coach after a commanding win. Plus a lot of our D were freshman and first time playing college ball. Which speaks to a larger problem, sure. But save it for a loss.

Even CST the thread starter backed off on that, but it's pretty clear this is going to be a long season unless something drastic changes. No defense, no passing attack, just a repeat of last year. Nice to see the team stay pretty much healthy though, except for K Tate
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Merkin wrote:No 3 and outs against a FCS team.

UA offense had a 3 and out on their very first series.
NAU's offense had 4 3 and outs.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

The almost 600 yards of offense (running and passing) against Arizona from a average fcs team is a worry.

The best offensive play was the design qb run. It was the goto play, it won't be that great against division 1 football.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ASUHATER! wrote:
We had one win in the Pac last year. We weren't going to be better than Bama. I've said it before, but either we improve and RR can stay, or we stay mired and he should get the ax.

Yes, we won. Yes, there's reason to be concerned that will stop when we play decent teams. Yes, it will work itself out in the end. I'm more concerned with his buyout relative to our future than I am the way his performance will impact things.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Even if we improve some this year he should be fired. Talent level is shit, fans don't care and RR has lost the locker room and doesn't care.

prh

Post by prh »

This whole to fire or not to fire RR really reminds me of when LSU fired Les Miles, then decided not to, and then fired him early next season anyway. I think it's pretty clear by now that even with a slight improvement this year, the program isn't going to truly turn around with RR. Why delay the inevitable? The only reason is the $$ involved. There is no other reason to continue this charade.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

ASUHATER! wrote:Even if we improve some this year he should be fired. Talent level is shit, fans don't care and RR has lost the locker room and doesn't care.
Lost the locker room? You got some info we don't know about, chief??
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

wyo-cat wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:Even if we improve some this year he should be fired. Talent level is shit, fans don't care and RR has lost the locker room and doesn't care.
He doesn't have shit. Never does. Talks out of his ass.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

wyo-cat wrote:
There's posts and threads on this very board about it already. Not going to do your reading for you.

chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

wyo-cat wrote:

He hasn't yet but he's close.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

This season will take care of the answer. Let's sit back and enjoy as that outcome should be pleasing, either way
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

ASUHATER! wrote:
wyo-cat wrote:
There's posts and threads on this very board about it already. Not going to do your reading for you.

Yea I read some post by someone using the nick flyonthewall or something to that affect. Going on and on about how he had talked to a bunch of parents and they had all these concerns and how RR had lost the locker room. At the time it sounded like a Chiefzona post throwing out all kinds of innuendo without one verifiable fact in it. The entire story sounded fabricated to be honest. Now I'm 99% sure it was Chief and sounds to me like just more of the same crap he always throws out.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

There's someone who goes down after practice nearly every day to help the OLine get in extra work. They actually request his help and he gives it for free. Does that sound like a team that has quit for the season after one game?

49 is right, it will take care of itself either way. Don't be Chief jr.

It's not a good look.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

My opinion is my opinion and I'm certainly nothing like the chode that is chief. My opinion is simply that even if we win 9 games this year RR needs to go.

chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

tgrumpy2 wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
wyo-cat wrote:

Yea I read some post by someone using the nick flyonthewall or something to that affect. Going on and on about how he had talked to a bunch of parents and they had all these concerns and how RR had lost the locker room. At the time it sounded like a Chiefzona post throwing out all kinds of innuendo without one verifiable fact in it. The entire story sounded fabricated to be honest. Now I'm 99% sure it was Chief and sounds to me like just more of the same crap he always throws out.

If I did that it would be through me. I've never hid anything and I would not start now when RR is almost on his way out. Parents are always pissed off no matter what is going on. RR has not lost the locker room.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

ASUHATER! wrote:My opinion is my opinion and I'm certainly nothing like the chode that is chief. My opinion is simply that even if we win 9 games this year RR needs to go.
Well 9 wins is a massive improvement and makes RR definitely worthy of holding on to his job. Hell he's only had 9 wins in a season one time during his tenure here, so needless to say that'd be one hell of a questionable time to let him go. Either way he won't come close to that win total this year.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

If RR can win 9 games with this team, he would definitely be PAC-12 COY, and in the talk for NCOY.

Then RichRod would on the way out anyway as some other program may come calling.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

ASUHATER! wrote:
wyo-cat wrote:
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

chiefzona wrote:
tgrumpy2 wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
wyo-cat wrote:

Yea I read some post by someone using the nick flyonthewall or something to that affect. Going on and on about how he had talked to a bunch of parents and they had all these concerns and how RR had lost the locker room. At the time it sounded like a Chiefzona post throwing out all kinds of innuendo without one verifiable fact in it. The entire story sounded fabricated to be honest. Now I'm 99% sure it was Chief and sounds to me like just more of the same crap he always throws out.[

If I did that it would be through me. I've never hid anything and I would not start now when RR is almost on his way out. Parents are always pissed off no matter what is going on. RR has not lost the locker room.

Thank you for being so forthcoming and for that I'll apologize. To whoever that was, you're an asshat.
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

ASUHATER! wrote:My opinion is my opinion and I'm certainly nothing like the chode that is chief. My opinion is simply that even if we win 9 games this year RR needs to go.
I had to look up chode and once I did, I realized you're far more of a chode than him.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

This opinion is bizarre to me. If winning 9 games won't save him, why are we delaying it? On the off chance we make the national playoffs?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

9 games??

:lol:
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

I'm going to wade back into this topic...

A 9 win season this year would probably prompt the Athletic Department to give the guy a contract for life. Maybe ratchet back the expectations a bit, Hater.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

...just jacking up the post count....

....nothing to see here....

nm
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

If we win 9 games with this team, I will buy a Samaje Grant t-shirt to help fund RR's statue outside the stadium.

If he wins 8, I might still make a bust myself out of play-doh.

If he wins 7, I will welcome him back with open arms, because he is the same coach that ran us straight up from the firing of Stoops to 10 wins and a Fiesta Bowl, and I understand he was too late in properly assessing/shitcanning his long time friend Casteel, and he flirted too much with South Carolina. But I also understand some of this shit has been incredibly unlucky, like the Scooby injury and then the injury to everyone who had ever played Scooby's position going back to middle school, and playing UW into OT with our 3rd string RB, and the 7,000 concussions our All Freshman QB took, and how we had, at one point, a 4th string QB handing off to a 5th string WR converted to RB last year, then how a carpetbagging POS came into the program to coordinate recruiting of a class that was already looking to be one of our best, then bailed without one completed class, causing an entire year of recruiting at a crucial time after we discovered how far that had slipped during Casteel just float away.

So some of this is self-inflicted. Some of this is some incredible shit timing. And I still think RR would be a perfect coach for this program if he were not our current coach and were available. But these things did happen under him, he did lose sight of what was going on with recruiting and defense, he did cause a lack of loyalty on staff and with commits by flirting with other jobs in back-to-back years, so this is, other than the injuries, his problem, and he has to go if he cannot turn it around right now.

But, damn...he went straight up from Stoops, took us to back to back wins over Oregon when that still mattered (we beat Mariotta twice...caused his first turnover of his final season), had bowl seasons with 3 different QBs including BJ Frickin Denker, got us to the major bowl mix in year 3 with a freshman QB and sophomore D leader...then lost both (and lost them forever, Scooby to the NFL, Anu to repeated head injuries and an unwillingness to run in an offense that requires the threat of a QB to run), and the wheels fell off the bus, first in a lower bowl disappointment in follow up to a 10 win season, then in last year's fiasco.

But, shit...if he can win, why would we want him gone? Is this some style of play bullshit, like those who want Miller gone because his offense isn't fast enough or he doesn't play zone? If RichRod wins, why the hell would we want him to leave?

I don't see him as Satan. I see him as someone whose hubris got in his way, and by the time he got an idea of what was wrong, it was probably too late, even as he fired his friend. His survival was likely based on the 2017 class that looked so good a year ago. The blow he took with losing Williams was probably the fatal one. But if he can figure out how to survive this season and win? I think 6-6 or lower ends him. But better than that? We have to consider what that would mean...because it would require 4 wins in the PAC with our schedule this year.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

EVCat wrote:If we win 9 games with this team, I will buy a Samaje Grant t-shirt to help fund RR's statue outside the stadium.

If he wins 7, I will welcome him back with open arms, because he is the same coach that ran us straight up from the firing of Stoops to 10 wins and a Fiesta Bowl, and I understand he was too late in properly assessing/shitcanning his long time friend Casteel, and he flirted too much with South Carolina. But I also understand some of this shit has been incredibly unlucky, like the Scooby injury and then the injury to everyone who had ever played Scooby's position going back to middle school, and playing UW into OT with our 3rd string RB, and the 7,000 concussions our All Freshman QB took, and how we had, at one point, a 4th string QB handing off to a 5th string WR converted to RB last year, then how a carpetbagging POS came into the program to coordinate recruiting of a class that was already looking to be one of our best, then bailed without one completed class, causing an entire year of recruiting at a crucial time after we discovered how far that had slipped during Casteel just float away.

So some of this is self-inflicted. Some of this is some incredible shit timing. And I still think RR would be a perfect coach for this program if he were not our current coach and were available. But these things did happen under him, he did lose sight of what was going on with recruiting and defense, he did cause a lack of loyalty on staff and with commits by flirting with other jobs in back-to-back years, so this is, other than the injuries, his problem, and he has to go if he cannot turn it around right now.

But, damn...he went straight up from Stoops, took us to back to back wins over Oregon when that still mattered (we beat Mariotta twice...caused his first turnover of his final season), had bowl seasons with 3 different QBs including BJ Frickin Denker, got us to the major bowl mix in year 3 with a freshman QB and sophomore D leader...then lost both (and lost them forever, Scooby to the NFL, Anu to repeated head injuries and an unwillingness to run in an offense that requires the threat of a QB to run), and the wheels fell off the bus, first in a lower bowl disappointment in follow up to a 10 win season, then in last year's fiasco.

But, shit...if he can win, why would we want him gone? Is this some style of play bullshit, like those who want Miller gone because his offense isn't fast enough or he doesn't play zone? If RichRod wins, why the hell would we want him to leave?

I don't see him as Satan. I see him as someone whose hubris got in his way, and by the time he got an idea of what was wrong, it was probably too late, even as he fired his friend. His survival was likely based on the 2017 class that looked so good a year ago. The blow he took with losing Williams was probably the fatal one. But if he can figure out how to survive this season and win? I think 6-6 or lower ends him. But better than that? We have to consider what that would mean...because it would require 4 wins in the PAC with our schedule this year.
Really a good post, EV, but I think 4 Pac wins will be hard to find. I'll tell you this though: you're such a good salesman I'd settle for 3.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

EVCat wrote:If we win 9 games with this team, I will buy a Samaje Grant t-shirt to help fund RR's statue outside the stadium.

Great, great, GREAT post! Sums it up exactly. Glad somebody put together exactly how I feel with just one small disagreement: 6-6 means a bowl game and that should mean another year with us. I'm pulling for this team to surprise us and for RR to stay.

And I totally agree he's made some mistakes, specifically with recruiting and flirtations, but the Rodriguez family has invested in Arizona and I hope we win enough this year to keep them around.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Damn EV, that was good sh*t. Footing for the program to succeed!!
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

This is a good post, and about where I am at. He has done some really good things here. He's also presided over a slide. This year is about where we are headed. If he recovers and points thing in the right direction, ok. If the issues that have gutted us recur, then it's time to part.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

So much for me is can he recruit effectively at Arizona. Every new coach at every new program typically does well, because there's a hype and a selling point of "we're new, we're up and coming, we're going to win, come be part of something big," and at this point RR is well beyond that and his recent recruiting classes tell that story in its entirety. He has no momentum out there where it matters and even if he puts together a winning season it's nothing more than a bandaid on a situation that he's gone too far down to fix in its entirety. The same thing happened to Stoops. Each new coach has a narrow window to recruit well and profit off said recruiting classes. RR has gone well beyond that time and hopefully will have left very good notes to the next coaching staff to succeed (hint recruit both California and Texas).