Arizona vs. Washington State Discussion Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

BearDown89

Arizona vs. Washington State Discussion Thread

Post by BearDown89 »

Fourth week in a row on the Pac-12 network. Sucks in terms of national exposure for Tate. You'd think with WSU's success and our upward trend with Tate we'd get a better gig for this game.
azgreg

Re: Arizona vs. Washington State Discussion Thread

Post by azgreg »

Game opens as a pick'em at Vegas Insider.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Want this one bad. Need retribution for there run up 69-7 win. O/U has to be close to 80
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Lol...we have Vegas out of their minds. They have no idea ehat to do with us, so they are just saying "fuck it...pickem and let's watch what our sharps do and move accordingly. They know if they miss, they are going to get hammered but we made them a lot of money vs USC...saw that like move from favoring us to favoring SC in a day...someone or someone's with juice bet up USC hard to get the line to move that much. So there was some big sharp money sitting on SC, thinking they had hammered a bad line. Annnd...they got taken. Didn't look like there was a lot of handle on Cal...this game will have even less unless the big bettors think this line is bad and hammer it.

Both teams have a bit of Jeckel and Hyde in them.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

No idea what to think of wsu. They lost 37-3 I think to Cal who we beat and then they gave up 0 to Colorado who put 42 on us. We know they'll pass all day on our secondary. This will be another 45-42 type game possibly
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

EV you meant UCLA, not USC. Definitely have got a reboot with Vegas
ProfessorFate

Post by ProfessorFate »

azgreg wrote:Game opens as a pick'em at Vegas Insider.
I don't think a line has been released yet. There are a few games on Vegas Insider that show "PK-10" while the others are still blank. There's no way OK is a pickem at home against Texas Tech. The only line released so far is Ohio St -7.5 over Penn State. When the line is released I would think Wash St will be a slight favorite.
2023 Football RAP Champion
2022 Mark Schlabach Memorial Bracket Champion
2017 Bear Down Wildcats Survival Pool Champion
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

I don't know how many of you watched the Cal vs WSU game but Cal was launching blitzes from the sidelines out of howitzers and dropping them out of helicopters and Falk didn't know whether to crap or go blind all day. Cal caused a lot of turnovers and took advantage of all of them. I don't know if we can do the same thing or not. Its at home so I'm looking for the Defense to step up big here and I know we can score on them. I'm gonna say UofA by 10 points.
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

Has anyone else noticed that some athletes are always called by their full names and never just the last name? Its not very often but I find it very annoying. With Falk its always...Lukefalk as if it were one word.Lukefalk did this and Lukefalk did that and god its annoying. The other one the PAC12 did this with was Sefau Lufau. I'm not even sure how to spell it. In Lufau's defense of that, his last name sounded to much like one of those organic sponges you buy and give as gifts and adding the first name was a help. But I'm really hoping Arizona can knock the Luke off Lukefalk this week and he'll limp back to Washington as plain ole Falk.
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

Opens and is a steady wsu favorite at - 2.5. Hopefully the flight makes em sleepy like Washington always does.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

Wazzu has a good rush defense (3rd in P12) and Arizona has bad pass defense(10th in P12). Cal just wrote the book on how to slow down Tate with their 2nd half D. Also, I don't think Tate has the passing game to overcome Wazzu's Pass D (#1 in P12) With our injuries, I am worried about this one but we are at home during homecoming, should have a good crowd. I hate to say it but the honeymoon is over and we drop this one.

Wazzu 48
AZ 35

I hope I am wrong but I feel Leach doesn't lay another egg.

BearDown.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

Arizona has Khalil Tate. Arizona wins.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

With each passing week, the opposition is scheming to slow down and stop Tate. But it's not as though Tate and Arizona are standing pat. He's growing more as a passer and still has tons of room for improvement. The more opponents key on him and stopping the run, the more opportunity to open up our passing attack.

Tate will see a lot of missed opportunities when he studies film of the Cal game. On the late pick on the pass intended for Poindexter with under a minute remaining, Shun Brown was wide open underneath, with no Cal defender within 8 yards of him. If Tate finds him, Arizona has the ball at about the 20 yard line with 30 seconds to play and a chance to win the game in regulation.

Our offense needs to evolve. Tate doesn't need to carry the ball a ton, but just be a huge threat in which opponents are so focused on him that our RB's and WR's gash them.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

I hope you guys are right. It will be a long drive back to Phoenix if we drop this game.
Last edited by UALoco on Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Wazzu is going to study this film and try to slow down Tate like Cal did. However, he still pulled a 70+ yard TD run out of thin air and hit Brown on a dime downfield for a long TD. And he'll have Taylor back. Michael Lev posted on Twitter that Zach Green said Cal was giving him 3-5 yards per play because they were so busy trying to keep Tate bottled up. I expect AZ to break out a lot of play action and try to turn WSU's aggressiveness on defense against them. Also, one thing that's been sticking with me is that reverse they've been running all year. The QB almost always keeps on that instead of giving the ball up (both Dawkins and Tate) and they've missed out on some big gains and easy TDs by keeping the ball. They need to keep that in their hip pocket for this game.
Sid

Post by Sid »

zonagrad wrote:With each passing week, the opposition is scheming to slow down and stop Tate. But it's not as though Tate and Arizona are standing pat. He's growing more as a passer and still has tons of room for improvement. The more opponents key on him and stopping the run, the more opportunity to open up our passing attack.

Tate will see a lot of missed opportunities when he studies film of the Cal game. On the late pick on the pass intended for Poindexter with under a minute remaining, Shun Brown was wide open underneath, with no Cal defender within 8 yards of him. If Tate finds him, Arizona has the ball at about the 20 yard line with 30 seconds to play and a chance to win the game in regulation.

Our offense needs to evolve. Tate doesn't need to carry the ball a ton, but just be a huge threat in which opponents are so focused on him that our RB's and WR's gash them.
Yep, also the for sure pick 6 which would've iced it for us. The lucky fumble bounce before that too that just happened to roll right to the center when we had 3 Cats right there to recover it. Missed opportunities on both sides of the ball. Hopeful the injuries are not bad, that's my only concern. K-Tate appeared fine after the game, which is huge obviously. We will have a pissed off JJ which is good, Schooler is playing out of his mind, a lot to be excited about!
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

WAZZU’s DL vs Arizona’s offense is the key to this game. They have that guy called Hercules. He brings some to their knees.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I want to see us passing the ball for the 1st 10 plays. WSU will start the game gearing up for Tate to run, it will give us our best chance to take a shot at some deep balls.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

That deep ball was open most of the game with Cal. There safeties were cheating and creeping up to stop Tate. The one to Brown was the same route he ran the play before and he was open but the pressure forced Tate to run. I like your thought Ari. Go long first play Saturday
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

Like the pass plays to start game as well. Also, get Wood involved!!

Don't want to see Tate doing too many more Sweeps! Fine with some zone read keepers, and as someone else said, don't think they are giving it to the reverse option enough. If Cougars are focusing on Tate, the runs Green ripped off, should be there a good bit as well. The oline seemed to be getting off the ball and pushing pocket pretty consistently going straight forward.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I wouldn't mind us going double tight ends as I really like Wolma. Not as big of a fan with the little slot guys unless we are dragging them across as a safety valve and with the TE's they are bigger targets. They can get us 5-10 yards and let Tate and the backs get us big chunks along with Brown/ Ellison and Poindexter
qwertyus

Post by qwertyus »

I'm quite confident that we'll put up points. I think Tate will have to throw just a bit more, maybe 18-20 times, to keep the D honest.

Tate is arguably the top-performing PAC QB right now. Falk just had a game (admittedly, in the rain, 40 degrees) where he finished 17-34, for 198 yards. In an offense that runs a ton of short slants and bubble screens. Perhaps Falk continues his funk, and Tate continues to trash defenses?

Our defense is not very good, but if we can stop them a couple of times, I think we can eke out a win. 45-42 kind of shootout.

Full disclosure, I'm a homer, so I'm going to be erring on the side of a 'Cats win...
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

Recently relocated to Orange County/Newport Beach from Scottsdale. Not going to homecoming because I don't want to request off days my second week on the job, but where is a good spot/UofA bar here to watch the games?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

chiefzona wrote:WAZZU’s DL vs Arizona’s offense is the key to this game. They have that guy called Hercules. He brings some to their knees.
I thought that was Susan, and it was because some say she's just a tease?
Sid

Post by Sid »

btfd16 wrote:Recently relocated to Orange County/Newport Beach from Scottsdale. Not going to homecoming because I don't want to request off days my second week on the job, but where is a good spot/UofA bar here to watch the games?
Don't know if your on instagram, but take a look at OC_CATS as they meet up for games at local OC bars.
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

btfd16 wrote:Recently relocated to Orange County/Newport Beach from Scottsdale. Not going to homecoming because I don't want to request off days my second week on the job, but where is a good spot/UofA bar here to watch the games?
Saturday, October 28, 2017, 6:30 pm
2920 Newport Blvd
Newport Beach, CA 92663

Hosted by the OCCats

Join in the celebration of UA sports by bearing down at Newport Beach Brewing Company with your fellow OCCats!

http://arizonaalumni.com/event/orange-c ... atch-party
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

Thanks guys!
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

WAZZU 38
Arizona 28
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

chiefzona wrote:WAZZU 38
Arizona 28
Wazzu 45
Arizona 38
TyAbbottGotOwned

Post by TyAbbottGotOwned »

My first game since moving back to Tucson since graduation. True homecoming, win a big one for me Tate
Oderint Dum Metuant
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Had a conversation with a scummie today at the office. They think there game with a busted up USC is tougher than our game with Wazzu. I didn't put up much fight as it wouldn't matter but I would rather be playing USC at home this week (I know we have them on the road) than Wazzu.

One simple retort he could not understand was that Wazzu beat SC early in the year when SC was much healthier and they have a better defense and offense.

45-42 Cats
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

azcat49 wrote:EV you meant UCLA, not USC. Definitely have got a reboot with Vegas
Yeah...I did. Hammering it out on a phone, distracted.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

tgrumpy2 wrote:Has anyone else noticed that some athletes are always called by their full names and never just the last name? Its not very often but I find it very annoying. With Falk its always...Lukefalk as if it were one word.Lukefalk did this and Lukefalk did that and god its annoying. The other one the PAC12 did this with was Sefau Lufau. I'm not even sure how to spell it. In Lufau's defense of that, his last name sounded to much like one of those organic sponges you buy and give as gifts and adding the first name was a help. But I'm really hoping Arizona can knock the Luke off Lukefalk this week and he'll limp back to Washington as plain ole Falk.
I think total syllables matter
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Red Out Saturday.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

wyo-cat wrote:Red Out Saturday.

Makes sense since they are playing WAZZU.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Washington State (7-1) vs. Arizona (5-2) Game Preview

Broadcast, TV, Game Time
Date: Saturday, October 28th
Game Time: 9:30 pm ET
Venue: Arizona Stadium, Tucson, AZ
Network: Pac-12 Network

By the way, Washington State is still deep in the hunt for the Pac-12 title and the College Football Playoff.

It might not seem like it after the way it was destroyed by Cal a few weeks ago, but it’s among the one-loss teams that still – unless something crazy happens, like if there are four other unbeaten or one-loss Power Five champs – controls its own destiny.

Colorado might not be anything special, but the team bounced back nicely for a solid 28-0 win in wet and awful conditions. Now it has to get ready for the Khalil Tate storm.

No player in college football is hotter right now than the Arizona quarterback, who’s led the way to three straight wins and potential Pac-12 title contention.

It’s a tough road to close, though, with three of the last four games on the road including USC and Arizona State, but with Oregon State at home, a bowl game is almost guaranteed.

Beat Wazzu, though, and the Wildcats will suddenly get on the national radar when it travels to USC next week.

One Reason Why Washington State Will Win

The run defense has been a rock so far.

It hasn’t faced a running game like Arizona’s, and it hasn’t dealt with a dangerous quarterback like Tate, but the talented and aggressive defensive front is able to crash the backfield, and isn’t getting gouged.

USC was able to run for 163 yards and had some success, and Boise State ran for 164, but that’s been about it. The Cougars led the Pac-12 in sacks and tackles for loss, and now they have to get to Tate before he and the zone-read can slip through the holes.

Offensively, Luke Falk and company should be able to get rolling against a leaky secondary that has yet to give up fewer than 200 yards – and it played UTEP.

Wazzu will match firepower with firepower.

One Reason Why Arizona Will Win

It’s not just that Arizona is hitting the three-run home runs time and again when Tate gets his chance, it’s that it’s not screwing up, either.

The Wildcats have been tight when it comes to turnover margin – they haven’t been giving teams any easy points with bad giveaways.

Washington State hasn’t been that bad at turning the ball over other than the Cal meltdown, but it needs to control the game and control the clock – it’s part of the reason why the fresh defense has been so successful.

Arizona will happily score whenever it can, but it also has the ability to grind out drives with its ground game. Great at converting third down chances, the Wildcats have to to at least keep the time of possession even.

What’s Going To Happen

Call this a win for the home team.

If this was in Pullman, Wazzu would be the call. But at home, in a must win game with all the key road games up next, Tate will be Tate, coming up with a few big plays to offset a 350-yard passing game from Falk.

It’ll be a whole lot of fun with lots of points, lots of offense, and lots of reasons to stay up late.

And if it just so happens to somehow be the first of two games – with the two meeting in the Pac-12 Championship, great.

Final Score
Arizona 40, Washington State 37
Line
Washington State -3, o/u: 64.5
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

scumdevils86 wrote:Washington State (7-1) vs. Arizona (5-2) Game Preview

Broadcast, TV, Game Time

By the way, Washington State is still deep in the hunt for the Pac-12 title and the College Football Playoff.

It might not seem like it after the way it was destroyed by Cal a few weeks ago, but it’s among the one-loss teams that still – unless something crazy happens, like if there are four other unbeaten or
one-loss Power Five champs – controls its own destiny.

Colorado might not be anything special, but the team bounced back nicely for a solid 28-0 win in wet and awful conditions. Now it has to get ready for the Khalil Tate storm.

No player in college football is hotter right now than the Arizona quarterback, who’s led the way to three straight wins and potential Pac-12 title contention.

It’s a tough road to close, though, with three of the last four games on the road including USC and Arizona State, but with Oregon State at home, a bowl game is almost guaranteed.

Beat Wazzu, though, and the Wildcats will suddenly get on the national radar when it travels to USC next week.

One Reason Why Washington State Will Win

The run defense has been a rock so far.

It hasn’t faced a running game like Arizona’s, and it hasn’t dealt with a dangerous quarterback like Tate, but the talented and aggressive defensive front is able to crash the backfield, and isn’t getting gouged.

USC was able to run for 163 yards and had some success, and Boise State ran for 164, but that’s been about it. The Cougars led the Pac-12 in sacks and tackles for loss, and now they have to get to Tate before he and the zone-read can slip through the holes.

Offensively, Luke Falk and company should be able to get rolling against a leaky secondary that has yet to give up fewer than 200 yards – and it played UTEP.

Wazzu will match firepower with firepower.

One Reason Why Arizona Will Win

It’s not just that Arizona is hitting the three-run home runs time and again when Tate gets his chance, it’s that it’s not screwing up, either.

The Wildcats have been tight when it comes to turnover margin – they haven’t been giving teams any easy points with bad giveaways.

Washington State hasn’t been that bad at turning the ball over other than the Cal meltdown, but it needs to control the game and control the clock – it’s part of the reason why the fresh defense has been so successful.

Arizona will happily score whenever it can, but it also has the ability to grind out drives with its ground game. Great at converting third down chances, the Wildcats have to to at least keep the time of possession even.

What’s Going To Happen

Call this a win for the home team.

If this was in Pullman, Wazzu would be the call. But at home, in a must win game with all the key road games up next, Tate will be Tate, coming up with a few big plays to offset a 350-yard passing game from Falk.

It’ll be a whole lot of fun with lots of points, lots of offense, and lots of reasons to stay up late.

And if it just so happens to somehow be the first of two games – with the two meeting in the Pac-12 Championship, great.

Final Score
Arizona 40, Washington State 37
Line
Nice! College Football News Rocks, Lol!

Nice to see that all injured defenders are probable, Wilson questionable, shocking! Wood and Young out. Didn't know Wood had concussion? Man, he is fragile or really unlucky!!!
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Over for sure!

Rats, my Bovada account has been closed due to inactivity.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Weird that Boles neck is hurt. He hurt it in OT and I thought he got rolled up and it was his ankle or leg
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

scumdevils86 wrote:Washington State (7-1) vs. Arizona (5-2) Game Preview

Broadcast, TV, Game Time

It might not seem like it after the way it was destroyed by Cal a few weeks ago, but it’s among the one-loss teams that still – unless something crazy happens, like if there are four other unbeaten or one-loss Power Five champs – controls its own destiny.
This right here is why I am baffled Westgate has them at 300-1... Great hedge opportunity.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

Arizona has Khalil Tate. Arizona wins.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Wasn't Trevor Wood long snapping too?
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

i would assume we are ranked if we beat Wazzu?
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

scumdevils86 wrote:i would assume we are ranked if we beat Wazzu?
22-25 would be my guess. This is the last week until CFP ranking correct?
HaCats

Post by HaCats »

Wood was short snapping. And doing it much more accurately than Eldridge was. I know that Wolma has been great catching the ball but we're going to miss Wood's blocking and I pray we don't notice that he isn't snapping the field goals and extra points.
ProfessorFate

Post by ProfessorFate »

HaCats wrote:Wood was short snapping. And doing it much more accurately than Eldridge was. I know that Wolma has been great catching the ball but we're going to miss Wood's blocking and I pray we don't notice that he isn't snapping the field goals and extra points.
Wood being out sucks. Hope a PAT/FG snap doesn't cost us in what should be a close game.
2023 Football RAP Champion
2022 Mark Schlabach Memorial Bracket Champion
2017 Bear Down Wildcats Survival Pool Champion
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Have to go back and watch but didn't Woods snap the ball in OT on our two extra points? If so when did he get his concussion as the snapper can't be hit
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Merkin wrote:Washington State -3, o/u: 64.5

Over for sure!

Rats, my Bovada account has been closed due to inactivity.
That seems really low. But they are handicapping based on the performances of the defenses, as funny as it sounds. Washington State is in the top 10 in yards surrendered per play. We are 41, which is pretty ehh, but is still top 3rd in the country. Washington State has been surrendering a smokin' 3.6 yards per play in their last 3 games, so forget OOC stuff. That's national top 5.

So they are handicapping a better defensive effort from both teams than we are perceiving with our fan's eye.

Further figures that drive the handicap down. Washington State has been getting their yards through the air...they do not run the ball as a matter of scheme, and they have not run the ball well. We are particularly susceptible to the run with our small front, and only when Colorado and UCLA stopped trying to throw and just crammed the ball down our throat did we start giving up points.

We are 30th nationally in yards per completion surrendered
https://www.teamrankings.com/college-fo ... completion
Which is actually pretty decent and better than our yards per rush attempt surrendered
https://www.teamrankings.com/college-fo ... sh-attempt

So what Vegas is seeing is two teams that actually have much better defenses than people think. Washington State's defense is nearly elite, statistically. And Arizona's defense? Against the pass, we are 30th in yards per completion. Washington State doesn't run the ball. At. All. Not only are they among the lowest yard totals rushing in the game, they are also inefficient when they do. The casual bettor would think WSU has low rushing totals because they throw all the time. And there is something to that. They are 125th in rush attempts

But when WSU decides to run? They are AWFUL...Washington State averages 2.9 yards per rush against FBS teams...127th out of 130

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-fo ... sh-attempt

So the handicappers see: a very good defense in WSU, a better than casuals expect defense in Arizona, a pass defense at Arizona that is 30th nationally, and a WSU team that can't run the ball to counter that.

Washington State averages 34 ppg. We average 40 (vs FBS comp only, all of these numbers). But Washington State, against recent PAC 12 comp, has averaged only 21.3 ppg in their last 3, and has struggled to move the ball consistently. Clearly the 3 vs Cal influences that a lot, but then 28 last week, and it was not an impressive 28. Our 40 is inflated vs bad defenses, and Vegas is having a problem getting a handle on who we are.

They are expecting a 34-31 type game. 65 pts. Or a 31-28 game.

You can see where the numbers can suggest a lower output (high ranked D for WSU, decent passing D for Arizona, WSU unable to exploit Arizona defensive weakness on ground).

I still think it is going over. But the exercise to see how they got there was fun, anyway.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

One thing we absolutely have to do better this week is defend that inside slant. Cal killed us with it.