dmjcat

2019 Recruit/Commitment Thread

Post by dmjcat »

UA starts off the 2019 class with a 4 star commit

https://www.azdesertswarm.com/recruitin ... 2018-class" target="_blank
whatisee

Re: 2019 Recruit/Commitment Thread

Post by whatisee »

For those of you wondering...he's already been offered by Oregon a few months ago :lol:
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

So sweet not to have corpses doing our recruiting.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

This kid is a big time QB prospect.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

My rival HS. Big time football powerhouse. If I am not mistaken, we also sent them a cease and desist on their logo being too similar. They changed it my freshman year of HS I believe.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

btfd16 wrote: My rival HS. Big time football powerhouse. If I am not mistaken, we also sent them a cease and desist on their logo being too similar. They changed it my freshman year of HS I believe.
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

We didn't make the cut, apparently.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

TatetheGreat wrote:We didn't make the cut, apparently.
That didn't take long lol
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

Seems to be the new campaign. Was #ATeam18.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

btfd16 wrote: Seems to be the new campaign. Was #ATeam18.
Sounds like it.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Chicat wrote: This kid is a big time QB prospect.
He is reopening his recruitment! Here’s to hoping sumlin can turn into a witch and pull some serious 4 stars!
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

3goggles wrote:
Chicat wrote: This kid is a big time QB prospect.
He is reopening his recruitment! Here’s to hoping sumlin can turn into a witch and pull some serious 4 stars!
I'm not a big recruiting guy, and I know with Sumlin there is a shot, but anyone know anything more? Do we have a realistic shot to pull this kid in? He just got a tOSU offer and could go anywhere he wanted so it would be unreal. Especially getting his teammate Chase Lane too.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

Another punter offer... It's beautiful *tear*
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

Big time Calabasas player. Get on it Keyshawn.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

btfd16 wrote: Big time Calabasas player. Get on it Keyshawn.

Pittman is going to where the QBs throw the ball.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Anyone know how many scholarships we have open for 2019 class. I know Sumlin mentioned we only had 13 seniors so he saved some of the 2018 scholarships for next year. We took 20 kids this year right so means 5 would carry over so we have 18 for next year.

Great video from Signing day celebration by the way would encourage anyone to watch. All the assistants introduce themselves too, loud ovation for Yates and Coach Iona and Chuck Cecil of course

https://www.facebook.com/ArizonaAthleti ... 582439501/" target="_blank

Feels like if we have 18-20 scholarships to give good breakdown would be

1 QB
2 RB (We need some better depth here)
3 WR (Need some playmakers)
4 OL (We have gone too light here past two years)
4 DL (Big Ugliles who can move please)
3 LB (This year was light)
2 DB (We feel a bit heavy here especially at Safety)
1 Punter/Kicker

Thats 20 and feels like a good breakdown. Really need to bring in some better guys along OL and DL.
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

chiefzona wrote:

Good thing we signed Kevin Doyle then. Would only be with Khalil for one year.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

btfd16 wrote:
chiefzona wrote:

What if Doyle beat out Tate? :twisted: :evil:
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

chiefzona wrote:
btfd16 wrote:
chiefzona wrote:

What if Doyle beat out Tate? :twisted: :evil:

That is not entirely far fetched Chief. I usually keep my keyboard's mouth shut here although sometimes I love to give you crap because you're entertaining. But that's not far fetched. Tate showed me a lot of things this past year and most were good but some weren't. Yes he can pass and he also seems to get hurt. Now he has to show me he can perform when everyone is on to him. I don't think our quarterbacks had great coaching these past few years. I think what's his name was more of a systems coach than a fundamentals coach. I still think Dawkin's passing problems could have been corrected but oh well. I'm rooting for Tate but we'll see.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

I would think a true freshman taking over for Tate seems really far fetched. I do like the tapes on Kevin Doyle a lot and the guy appears to be a stud athlete per link below. But Tate should thrive under Sumlin and Mazzone. I do see Doyle having a great shot to be the back up this year.

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/foot ... evin-doyle" target="_blank
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Just glad we should have better depth, especially if Dawkins bolts
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

Newportcat wrote:I would think a true freshman taking over for Tate seems really far fetched. I do like the tapes on Kevin Doyle a lot and the guy appears to be a stud athlete per link below. But Tate should thrive under Sumlin and Mazzone. I do see Doyle having a great shot to be the back up this year.

Under most circumstances I'd agree but lets say Doyle becomes the back up and Tate gets hurt which isn't to far fetched. Suddenly Doyle's the starter and if he tears it up Tate may never start again. Remember, Doyle is Mazzone's guy.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

tgrumpy2 wrote:
Newportcat wrote:I would think a true freshman taking over for Tate seems really far fetched. I do like the tapes on Kevin Doyle a lot and the guy appears to be a stud athlete per link below. But Tate should thrive under Sumlin and Mazzone. I do see Doyle having a great shot to be the back up this year.

Under most circumstances I'd agree but lets say Doyle becomes the back up and Tate gets hurt which isn't to far fetched. Suddenly Doyle's the starter and if he tears it up Tate may never start again. Remember, Doyle is Mazzone's guy.
Completely agree and there is a good chance Tate gets hurt given his desire to run a lot

To pick up a QB like Doyle as late as we did shows this staff should do really well in recruiting

Nice to pick up someone with real other offers
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

tgrumpy2 wrote:

I say this in the nicest way possible but being Mazzone's guy isn't a plus. It really needs to be Sumlin's guy
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

MrBug708 wrote:
tgrumpy2 wrote:

I say this in the nicest way possible but being Mazzone's guy isn't a plus. It really needs to be Sumlin's guy
Bug what are your thoughts on Mazzone being a UCLA Guy, anything on his son too?
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Dad - Great scheme, stubborn play caller. Terrible scout of talent, but could always land his guy because he doesn't believe in stars. In 2012, we flipped a kid, TJ Milweard as soon as he was hired. Similar measurables to your guy Doyle that you landed. Never improved and transferred and couldnt see the field at Kansas. In 2013, he missed all of his guys before we lucked into Woulard, who actually won the Elite 11. Never devloped, transferred, never did anything at the dirctional school in florida before washing out before his eligibility expired. In 2014, he missed on all of his targets and we ended with a "sleeper" from Texas who washed out and ended up at a JC. I think he transferred to KSU, where we flipped him from originally, but he seems to have fallen off the map. 2015 we landed Josh Rosen because we were local, he knew Mora, and we had Brett Hundley leaving. All of Mazzone's guys were 3 stars from out of state. None of them took a meaningful snap and our backups behind Hundley and Rosen were a walkon in Mike Fafaul and Jerry Neu, who really was a walkon but we did Rick a solid. As bad as our OL has been, Mazzone's QB selection was worse. As soon as Mazzone left, we landed a 4* local kid. He passed on a lot of local kids who would have come to UCLA for guys who he liked and I think wanted to prove the star system wrong. He's been a successful OC for some time, but I think he gets caught up too much in his system. It really reminds me of Coach Boone in remember the titans, we are going to run the same 6 plays and we will run them with perfection (or however the quote goes). We won the TAMU game because of Mazzone's play calling. Kill the clock, why pass the ball? We almost won the year before because of his prevent offense. His offensive scheme is highly effective though, as evident to the stats we put up during his time.

Son - Didn't see any value as a position coach. We also had his other son starting, I think that was the price in getting Noel, one son as QB coach, the other as a starting WR despite being a walkon.

You love him until you hate him.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

MrBug708 wrote:Dad - Great scheme, stubborn play caller. Terrible scout of talent, but could always land his guy because he doesn't believe in stars. In 2012, we flipped a kid, TJ Milweard as soon as he was hired. Similar measurables to your guy Doyle that you landed. Never improved and transferred and couldnt see the field at Kansas. In 2013, he missed all of his guys before we lucked into Woulard, who actually won the Elite 11. Never devloped, transferred, never did anything at the dirctional school in florida before washing out before his eligibility expired. In 2014, he missed on all of his targets and we ended with a "sleeper" from Texas who washed out and ended up at a JC. I think he transferred to KSU, where we flipped him from originally, but he seems to have fallen off the map. 2015 we landed Josh Rosen because we were local, he knew Mora, and we had Brett Hundley leaving. All of Mazzone's guys were 3 stars from out of state. None of them took a meaningful snap and our backups behind Hundley and Rosen were a walkon in Mike Fafaul and Jerry Neu, who really was a walkon but we did Rick a solid. As bad as our OL has been, Mazzone's QB selection was worse. As soon as Mazzone left, we landed a 4* local kid. He passed on a lot of local kids who would have come to UCLA for guys who he liked and I think wanted to prove the star system wrong. He's been a successful OC for some time, but I think he gets caught up too much in his system. It really reminds me of Coach Boone in remember the titans, we are going to run the same 6 plays and we will run them with perfection (or however the quote goes). We won the TAMU game because of Mazzone's play calling. Kill the clock, why pass the ball? We almost won the year before because of his prevent offense. His offensive scheme is highly effective though, as evident to the stats we put up during his time.

Son - Didn't see any value as a position coach. We also had his other son starting, I think that was the price in

getting Noel, one son as QB coach, the other as a starting WR despite being a walkon.

You love him until you hate him.
Dad - I got a similar read from my good friend and very football knowledgeable ASU fan (I know, but he's still my friend). In a nutshell, my friend said, "Mazzone's allright". Not a glowing endorsement.

Son - No opinion
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Thanks Bug and great insights.

I thought a big reason for UCLA loss last year was A&M QB got hurt and backup sucked?

He can’t be much worse then Rod Smith who was terrible in my opinion
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

That was also part of it, but the play call to run out the clock was nonexistent
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

So signing day has come and gone... Is Singletary staying?
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

Newportcat wrote:Anyone know how many scholarships we have open for 2019 class. I know Sumlin mentioned we only had 13 seniors so he saved some of the 2018 scholarships for next year. We took 20 kids this year right so means 5 would carry over so we have 18 for next year.

Great video from Signing day celebration by the way would encourage anyone to watch. All the assistants introduce themselves too, loud ovation for Yates and Coach Iona and Chuck Cecil of course

https://www.facebook.com/ArizonaAthleti ... 582439501/" target="_blank

Feels like if we have 18-20 scholarships to give good breakdown would be

1 QB
2 RB (We need some better depth here)
3 WR (Need some playmakers)
4 OL (We have gone too light here past two years)
4 DL (Big Ugliles who can move please)
3 LB (This year was light)
2 DB (We feel a bit heavy here especially at Safety)
1 Punter/Kicker

Thats 20 and feels like a good breakdown. Really need to bring in some better guys along OL and DL.
It was my understanding that we had gray shirts filling up those other 5 spots
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

By the looks of my twitter feed the men are out working today.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Ahhh, just so refreshing seeing a head coach actually recruit, free article about recruits talking about Arizona recruiting and staff approach

https://arizona.rivals.com/news/rcs-la- ... in-arizona" target="_blank

Great article and Coach Meat is going to bring us in some SoCal studs. I am just hoping he does not pull a Coach Donte move and leave earlier. Doing well in SoCal is critical to Arizona football taking the next step and from everything I have been told, Coach Meat is one of the best guys in that market.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

azgreg wrote:
I hope he commits! Love the OC QB’s
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Washington commit.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Looks like we had a big in house yesterday.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

azgreg wrote:Looks like we had a big in house yesterday.
Looked like it was along the lines of the Junior Day's in the past but renamed "Recruitment Day"
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

Getting an official visit from Grant Gunnell. Pretty easy to deduce from these two posts.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

UALoco

Post by UALoco »

What's our chances with Helinski?
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

UALoco wrote:What's our chances with Helinski?
I think decent, he likes the Mazzone's a lot. If we land a guy like Helinski, it would show everyone things have changed with our recruiting
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

I wouldn’t mind seeing DJ in a Arizona Jersey!
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

I wonder how long before we get the first 2019 recruit on board.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

OSUCat wrote: I wouldn’t mind seeing DJ in a Arizona Jersey!
YES!
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!