2018 Arizona Wildcats football team

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

MrMeow

Re: 2018 Arizona Wildcats football team

Post by MrMeow »

Chief, UA signs "lower echelon guys" at every position, not just the lines. Face it, we don't have a lot to sell recruits. This isn't anything new, an it's true of most PAC 12 schools, by the way. I will admit Casteel's scheme may have stopped better defensive linemen, but what is it about the offensive scheme that does the same? Because it's run heavy? Offensive linemen don't like that? Please!
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

chiefzona wrote:
RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
Alpha chiefdom wrote:Lol, chiefzona you definitely don't own me. I'm just getting started with you that's why I'm the alpha. You think you know but you have no idea. Rrod has always had good offensive lines. Go back to his wvu days and Michigan they put out some good line play i would say thanks to rrod system is why the line play under coach m has been decent the last few years. My only complaint with coach rod is on defense always has been his weak point. I think he's finally getting that corrected. You stating that he has always neglected oline is not true.

I disagree with everything you said except defense has always been RR’s weakness. In his mind, his offense is his defense. :lol:

C'mon. RR generally does have statistically good line play. Perennial top 30 in FBS in run offense, total offense and less so perennial top 30 with sacks allowed. This goes back to early WV days to current.

RR has been run heavy most of his career. Actually has changed since being at UA. Sacks allowed for him took a hit in Anu Solomon days and 1st year at Michigan. Other than among the best in sacks allowed. Run offense and Total offense were still among the best in FBS these years. You could say scheme but then again puts less emphasis or analysis towards the Oline.

BTW, Rick Trickett would be a nice plug for OL coach. Former Marine, players love him, long time friend of RR's. Little up there in age. Not much in West Coast recruiting but reputation would ease that. Way too expensive for UA though.

Defense? I'm on board with
RR got away with poor OL recruiting at WVU because it was in the Big East and he had a brand new offense that DCs couldn't figure out. Same here at Arizona. He came in and rode Stoop's offensive lineman for 3 years and then the recruiting drop off on the line became quite apparent. Michalczik did whatever he could with the patchwork OL. But he knew the ride was over. RR has a good no sacks allowed stat because he doesn't have pocket passers or even passers. He has runners back there that defenses have to play differently. The DCs usually back off on the pass rush since the majority of RR's offense is running. RR's run blocks are made quickly and efficiently but you'll notice when they play the good DLs that end up blowing them off the line.

I don't know much about Trickett. We Marines are never former.....once a Marine always a Marine. :D
First off, Michalczik born, raised, coached and played in that NW area. RR does have good, sometimes great no sacks allowed stats. Like this years. With plenty of underclassmen contributing to those stats that will be returning. RR teams have perennial good and GREAT run, scoring and total offenses. You can't get that kind of consistency with poor OL play. You can try to reason different, but the results for his offenses and rushing are consistently damn good. Even if you take out WV days. In fact, his offenses at UA are probably his best in his career. It certainly broke many UA school records. But the results are Damn good. Even stellar for UA standards. Can't accomplish that with poor OL line play and poor OL recruiting to the depth you're trying to reason with. The stat results differ with your assessment.

"Doesn't have pocket passers or even passers" ? Makes it even more amplified how good (or how much it matters for having good OL play in his schemes. Which disassembles your concern for OL play). Opposing teams know RR going to run heavy, so they stack the box many times. Force the pass. Have throughout his career.

Yet his Offense scores points, rushes and gains yards among the best in FBS consistently. Even with that o-Line you diminish. That's somethin'...
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Interesting Burns did not get any run anywhere. 5 picks is not bad for a corner
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Schooler?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Friekh and Poindexter are granted another year of eligibility. Friekh Just has to sit out the first two games.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Sucks to have him out for BYU and Houston but great news for next year
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

chiefzona wrote:Friekh and Poindexter are granted another year of eligibility. Friekh Just has to sit out the first two games.
Definitely great news. Will bolster both position groups.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

I'm personally kinda meh about Poindexter getting another year. I'm all for him as a big red zone target, but I'd like to see some younger big WRs get a shot like Casteel.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ChooChooCat wrote:I'm personally kinda meh about Poindexter getting another year. I'm all for him as a big red zone target, but I'd like to see some younger big WRs get a shot like Casteel.

Poindexter did disappoint with his size advantage, and Tyrell Johnson with his superior speed, so I agree with you. Sometimes it's best just to move on.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

OLine coach to be named after the he plays in his bowl game. Speculation?
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

I don't know coaching relationships or OLine blocking schemes, not going to pretend like I do, but based on geography, recent success and a young hire, could the SDSU OLine coach be in play? Looks like he played at SDSU so could be impossible to pull him away from his alma mater and ex coach but man those RB's in recent years have had some holes.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Heh. The OL coach is such an interesting hire.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

chiefzona wrote:Heh. The OL coach is such an interesting hire.
Do tell
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

PHXCATS wrote:
chiefzona wrote:Heh. The OL coach is such an interesting hire.
Do tell
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Woodcat

Post by Woodcat »

Do you mean that seriously Chief, or is that tongue in cheek?
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

I usually get the info right before or well before the ones who get paid for it do. It’s fun.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

chiefzona wrote:I usually get the info right before or well before the ones who get paid for it do. It’s fun.
You literally just sounded like a hipster. Who gives a fuck if you know 30 min before :lol:
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

btfd16 wrote:
chiefzona wrote:I usually get the info right before or well before the ones who get paid for it do. It’s fun.
You literally just sounded like a hipster. Who gives a fuck if you know 30 min before :lol:

I do. It drives the pundits mad. I’m too old to be a hipster. I’m a trend setter brotha.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

chiefzona wrote:
btfd16 wrote:

I do. It drives the pundits mad. I’m too old to be a hipster. I’m a trend setter brotha.
Welp if that is your goal and it works then to each their own!
prh

Post by prh »

Chief what's your take on the hire? I think most of us aren't too familiar with Justice. I am watching FAU right now fwiw :)
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

prh wrote:Chief what's your take on the hire? I think most of us aren't too familiar with Justice. I am watching FAU right now fwiw :)
Looks like he worked under RR but don't know shit about OLine.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

btfd16 wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
btfd16 wrote:

Welp if that is your goal and it works then to each their own!

Not my goal....just a fun little perk. I love all the trash talk they do and then DM me for the answers. Y’all would be surprised how they run their shows. It’s mind boggling. Good times. Viva Arizona.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

chiefzona wrote:It drives the pundits mad.
As mad as it drives you that they get paid to write about/report on the team?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

prh wrote:Chief what's your take on the hire? I think most of us aren't too familiar with Justice. I am watching FAU right now fwiw :)

Well, RR doesn’t surprise me with this one. Another yes man who he can trust. Underwhelming and compared to Michalczik....a big step down. I’ve seen some good and bad with him. All of this is really about the timing.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Chicat wrote:
chiefzona wrote:It drives the pundits mad.
As mad as it drives you that they get paid to write about/report on the team?

It doesn’t drive me mad at all. They’re the smart ones who get paid for it. Why I don’t envy them is because they have to bite their tongues and they don’t get to speak freely like I do. Only time they speak their minds are at a bar with copious amounts of alcohol.
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

Speaks highly of his impact on the offense under Kiffin.
Three olineman 1st team All Conference. Hard not to like his brief resume.

https://www.azdesertswarm.com/football/ ... ats-salary" target="_blank
Alpha chiefdom

Post by Alpha chiefdom »

This is a promising hire Justice is young and hungry. He played for coach rod at wvu he knows what rrod wants out of offensive line play. Should be a good recruiter as well can relate with younger generation. I believe that this is an upgrade over coach m who was overrated as an oline coach.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Alpha chiefdom wrote:This is a promising hire Justice is young and hungry. He played for coach rod at wvu he knows what rrod wants out of offensive line play. Should be a good recruiter as well can relate with younger generation. I believe that this is an upgrade over coach m who was overrated as an oline coach.

Fresh take from a pundit. Thanks for that hot take my man.
Alpha chiefdom

Post by Alpha chiefdom »

You're welcome chief i learned from the best
Alpha chiefdom

Post by Alpha chiefdom »

Justice offensive line coach at wvu was rick trickett. He is considered one of the best out there. Justice did his graduate assistance under trickett at fsu. Arizona line play is going to be way more aggressive than under coach m. Arizona is lucky coach m wanted to go to oregon st. Tate and the running backs will be even better
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

AC.....he’s as green as they come. Has zero clue of west Coast recruiting and zero relationships. He’s not ev n close to Michalczik and you saying that is comical. He’s out of his league at Arizona and doesn’t have much to work with. Come on now. Get real.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

It's an inbred hire, reminds me of the Mark Phelps hire for the basketball team, except recruiting didn't matter for Phelps because Miller was so good at it. RR isn't good at recruiting to Arizona and this guy ain't gonna help.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

ChooChooCat wrote:It's an inbred hire, reminds me of the Mark Phelps hire for the basketball team, except recruiting didn't matter for Phelps because Miller was so good at it. RR isn't good at recruiting to Arizona and this guy ain't gonna help.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Give me Lane if Rich Rod can't win 9 games this year
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

PHXCATS wrote:Give me Lane if Rich Rod can't win 9 games this year

There ya go.
Alpha chiefdom

Post by Alpha chiefdom »

Nope he's new and improved will be way better than michalczik. Your west coast bias is showing. You do know they play and coach football in other parts of the country. Justice will be able to recruit just fine and the narrative that there is nothing to work with on the oline is bullshit. The oline is going to be bigger,stronger and more athletic. Michalczik oline play has been poor at pass blocking and not so great at dominating line of scrimmage. Arizona will see an improvement with line play
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Pretty decent resume for a young guy with many accomplishments. I would think RR would move some of the recruiting areas around to offset his lack of west coast ties.

Should get PJ Johnson on board tomorrow who was on campus last week and focused on the S&C program and was impressed by what we had (remember chief hates our program). He also forged a great relationship with Vince Amey (chief hates him too).

The vibe is we might see a few more assistants move after the bowl so I am a bit surprised that chiefy hasn't told us but man he likes to pat himself on the back when news comes out. One way or another he will find a way
Alpha chiefdom

Post by Alpha chiefdom »

Azcat49 any idea what assistant coaches might move on?
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

azcat49 wrote:Pretty decent resume for a young guy with many accomplishments. I would think RR would move some of the recruiting areas around to offset his lack of west coast ties.

Should get PJ Johnson on board tomorrow who was on campus last week and focused on the S&C program and was impressed by what we had (remember chief hates our program). He also forged a great relationship with Vince Amey (chief hates him too).

The vibe is we might see a few more assistants move after the bowl so I am a bit surprised that chiefy hasn't told us but man he likes to pat himself on the back when news comes out. One way or another he will find a way

Boone is the only possible move that I have heard and that is a reach. No matter what happens, it’s irrelevant. RR is gone.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Alpha chiefdom wrote:Azcat49 any idea what assistant coaches might move on?

Let's see what Mr inside says. Remember, he knows before the paid pundits
Alpha chiefdom

Post by Alpha chiefdom »

Ok chiefzona we hear you
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

chiefzona wrote:

There ya go.
We'll never get Lane, Hackett or gtfo.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

ChooChooCat wrote:
chiefzona wrote:

There ya go.

Wouldn't want Hackett.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

chiefzona wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
chiefzona wrote:

There ya go.

Wouldn't want Hackett.
I'd rather have Lane too, but you know as well as I do he's destined for a bigger program. A guy like Hackett is the route a program like Arizona should take honestly.
jimson

Post by jimson »

chiefzona wrote:

Boone is the only possible move that I have heard and that is a reach. No matter what happens, it’s irrelevant. RR is gone.
Yeah? Where's he going?
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

jimson wrote:
chiefzona wrote:

Yeah? Where's he going?

I said that is a reach.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

chiefzona wrote:
jimson wrote:
chiefzona wrote:

Yeah? Where's he going?

I said that is a reach.
He meant RR bud.