2018 Arizona Wildcats football team

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

btfd16

Re: 2018 Arizona Wildcats football team

Post by btfd16 »

I have done a lot of complaining about our LB size, but something that surprised me is that Tony Fields is listed at the same as Roquan Smith. Colin Schooler an inch shorter and same weight. Smith looks so much more massive on TV than those two.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Scummy Dick Douglas wrote:
Chicat wrote:
Bangkok Wildcat wrote:Personally I liked the obvious quote below the most:
As far as recruiting goes, there has to be a renewed recruiting emphasis in California and Texas. In-state, let's just say as long as Sumlin is at Arizona and Herm Edwards is at Arizona State, it's advantage Wildcats.
It’s so damned obvious to everyone but some delusional Scummies. Bear Down Coach Sumlin!
It's obvious to them too. They just won't admit it.
I'd prefer Sumlin over Herm, no doubt. That said, I find it interesting how quickly you all are anointing Sumlin as a sure fire home run. How often does a coach fired from a better program meet expectations at the next job? Sumlin had a staff of ace recruiters at A&M, most of which will not be joining him in Tucson. While I have little doubt that Sumlin will elevate recruiting, what has Sumlin done to make you think he can develop or even capitalize on said talent? Sumlin had like 3 top 10 recruiting classes at A&M. With all that talent on the roster this year, he blew a huge lead and lost to UCLA (a team RR beat with much less talent), and was tied in the 4th qtr against Nicholls State.

The reality is, there were several jobs open, many of which Sumlin made a play for. He was never seriously considered for any of them until UA. Perhaps because of the reasons I list above? Or perhaps because at one point Sumlin was leading a program that was tied with Oklahoma at for most players arrested in all of NCAA.

So yes, Sumlin is a better hire than Herm Edwards, but that isn't saying much. Just about anyone would have been a better hire than Herm Edwards. As pointed out in other threads, I like many ASU folks wanted nothing to do with Sumlin... until the reality of who we were hiring hit us in the face. So did UA make a better hire than ASU? Yes. Did UA hire a good coach? Not so sure about that. While there is one Sumlin aggie fan boy here, I would advise you go look through the archive at Texags to get a feel for what A&M fans really think of Sumlin. There is a reason he is not there now, and that they wanted him gone awhile ago.
I love this almost as much as when you were pretending to be a “voice-of-reason” Cat fan.

Almost...
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

First, again, CKS is a home run hire for Arizona Football IMHO.

Second, what jobs did CKS go after that you can actually confirm he interviewed for?

Third, I’m glad those schools passed on him (the ones you can confirm that CKS actually chased)...with Yates, and other reasons, I think he’s a great fit for us right now.

Yet again, extremely happy and stoked we got the guy WE WANTED! BTFD.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:First, again, CKS is a home run hire for Arizona Football IMHO.

Second, what jobs did CKS go after that you can actually confirm he interviewed for?

Third, I’m glad those schools passed on him (the ones you can confirm that CKS actually chased)...with Yates, and other reasons, I think he’s a great fit for us right now.

I have nothing against Yates and am fine with him staying since Sumlin apparently thinks highly of him... but I am still in a wait-and-see mode before I am sold on him as our DC.

I guess I am not nearly as concerned with the "continuity" aspect of his retention... I want the best staff we can get. Period.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

Harvey Specter wrote:
Bangkok Wildcat wrote:First, again, CKS is a home run hire for Arizona Football IMHO.

I have nothing against Yates and am fine with him staying since Sumlin apparently thinks highly of him... but I am still in a wait-and-see mode before I am sold on him as our DC.

I guess I am not nearly as concerned with the "continuity" aspect of his retention... I want the best staff we can get. Period.
Personally, I am giving him a short leash. Two years to turn the D around.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

btfd16 wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:

Personally, I am giving him a short leash. Two years to turn the D around.
I think Yates has a good head start on turning it around. Although the stats may not bear it out, I think the eye test was a lot better this past season. The new group of freshman were/are very promising and if they are an indication of his recruiting/evaluation abilities, then I'm encouraged. Plus, he won't be limited by RR's meddling nonsense. I would think that in two years we'll be enjoying a significant improvement on D.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

I have heard that Yates had some say but RR overpowered him on things. Basically the defense play calling and schemes were not what Yates really wanted to run.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

After being a bottom 20 defensive team (typically one of the 5-6 worst Power 5 Conference defenses) for 3 seasons there needs to be a short leash on defensive performance. 2 years tops to turn it around.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Dont let anyone distract you from the fact that U of A was 80th in yards per play on defense. Not great but not the worst as some might lead you to believe. Also dont let this post distract you from the fact the Indians blew a 3-1 lead
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Wilner chimes in.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/01/18/ ... onas-year/" target="_blank
North:

Washington
Oregon
Stanford
Cal
Wazzu
Oregon State

South:

USC
Arizona
Utah
UCLA
Colorado
ASU

2. Arizona. Sumlin’s tactical skills and ability to coach quarterbacks, combined with the speed and talent at the skill positions, leaves little doubt the Wildcats will remain potent. The key is the defense, which relied heavily on a handful of freshmen. If coordinator Marcel Yates coaxed across-the-board improvement, the Wildcats could well be the South champs.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

yeah. just keep things the same. nothing to see here. we were doing fine! 36+ ppg average from our defense over the last 38 games is what we should aim for year in and year out.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

azgreg wrote:Wilner chimes in.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/01/18/ ... onas-year/" target="_blank
North:

Washington
Oregon
Stanford
Cal
Wazzu
Oregon State

South:

USC
Arizona
Utah
UCLA
Colorado
ASU

2. Arizona. Sumlin’s tactical skills and ability to coach quarterbacks, combined with the speed and talent at the skill positions, leaves little doubt the Wildcats will remain potent. The key is the defense, which relied heavily on a handful of freshmen. If coordinator Marcel Yates coaxed across-the-board improvement, the Wildcats could well be the South champs.
The Pac12 is so wide open next year it's crazy.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

I wonder if some of the current big name crop of QBs in the state of Arizona might not come back into play, now that we aren't running read option/QB killer offense, and Sumlin is the name on the head coach office door?
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

EVCat wrote:I wonder if some of the current big name crop of QBs in the state of Arizona might not come back into play, now that we aren't running read option/QB killer offense, and Sumlin is the name on the head coach office door?
Starting to think possible transfers as well. First one that came to mind was Tate Martell, committed to A&M and going to lose out to Haskins, but I do not want him anywhere near our program. Kid is an attention seeking douche. No way else to put it.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Hoping Jalen Hurts transfers
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

RondaeShimmy wrote:Hoping Jalen Hurts transfers
I've never been that impressed with Hurts. He is a suspect passer which is masked in most games due to Alabama's oline/running game. Although, he would be a better backup for Tate than what we currently have.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

btfd16 wrote:
EVCat wrote:I wonder if some of the current big name crop of QBs in the state of Arizona might not come back into play, now that we aren't running read option/QB killer offense, and Sumlin is the name on the head coach office door?
Starting to think possible transfers as well. First one that came to mind was Tate Martell, committed to A&M and going to lose out to Haskins, but I do not want him anywhere near our program. Kid is an attention seeking douche. No way else to put it.
Am thinking next wave, post Tate....Rattler, Conover (well, he may have a mission), Rattler....

But, yes...we need a transfer immediately.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

To bad Nick Wilson played 5 games last year.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

gronk4heisman wrote:To bad Nick Wilson played 5 games last year.

I wonder if he would even want to? After getting banged up so much every year he would have to consider whether he wants to be able to walk without pain when he is 40 or not.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

gronk4heisman wrote:To bad Nick Wilson played 5 games last year.
Even if he only played four, the rule isn't retroactive.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Just saw on twitter that U of A has the 2nd easiest schedule of Power 5 teams.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

Levi hurts depth
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

http://www.espn.com/blog/ncfnation/post ... ting-class

Both were on here so I didn't want to put it in their individual threads. Some more recognition from our bare cupboard.
It wouldn't be fair to include one and not the other because both Schooler and Fields had surprisingly outstanding seasons. Schooler was the 109th-ranked outside linebacker, and Fields was No. 33 at the position. They combined for 179 total tackles, with Fields leading the team with 91. Schooler had two interceptions and four sacks while Fields had four sacks to go with one interception. Quarterback Khalil Tate might have stolen the show in Tucson this past season with his performance, but Schooler and Fields are two names people should know for next season.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Is it football season yet? Asking for a friend.
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

Can't come soon enough. I keep looking at my seat view for next year. Slightly annoyed a Friday game will mess my plans of seeing every game next year.... Hell I'm pumped for the spring game.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Yep. Football school now.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

scumdevils86 wrote:Yep. Football school now.

Will be next year for sure. Losing one of your only 2 recruits, your 2 starting seniors, your 2 top scorers, and who knows if Alkins will bail too.

The only rotation player who will probably stay is Smith, since he already sat out one season for transferring. Can Jeter transfer and play immediately since he is redshirtting this year?

I imagine Barcello will play.
prh

Post by prh »

Merkin wrote:

Will be next year for sure. Losing one of your only 2 recruits, your 2 starting seniors, your 2 top scorers, and who knows if Alkins will bail too.

The only rotation player who will probably stay is Smith, since he already sat out one season for transferring. Can Jeter transfer and play immediately since he is redshirtting this year?

Jeter would have to sit a year if he transfers.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

prh wrote:
Merkin wrote:

That's good for Arizona then, no one wants to sit out 2 years.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Merkin wrote:
prh wrote:
Merkin wrote:

The situation could actually be good for certain players. Yeah, they might get a postseason ban of some sort, but they will get way more minutes and time to develop than they would have before at a program like Arizona.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

Ranking college football's best triplets

5. Arizona QB Khalil Tate, RB J.J. Taylor, WR Shun Brown
After riding the pine the first month of the season, Tate amazingly emerged as a Heisman contender as the top dual-threat QB in the country. He will be on the short list of favorites to open the season. Flanking Tate in the backfield is Taylor, the reigning Pac-12 Offensive Freshman of the Year. Though diminutive at 5-10, Brown gives the Wildcats a deep threat to stretch the defense.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/in ... t-triplets
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

UAEebs86 wrote:
Merkin wrote:
prh wrote:
Merkin wrote:

The situation could actually be good for certain players. Yeah, they might get a postseason ban of some sort, but they will get way more minutes and time to develop than they would have before at a program like Arizona.
Jeter is sitting out this year and will play '18-'19 season : https://www.azdesertswarm.com/basketbal ... e-transfer
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Football school now...and in the 2018 football thread we are discussing Chase Jeter!

Might be a couple years before we are a football school!
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

If Arizona ever wanted to pass the torch from a basketball school to a football school, the time is now.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

I hope Sumlin succeeds here since we're going to have to be a football school for a while.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

About 68 days until ANGCatFan's countdown starts!
Last edited by azgreg on Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

azgreg wrote:About 168 days until ANGCatFan's countdown starts!
only 68 actually!
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

scumdevils86 wrote:
azgreg wrote:About 168 days until ANGCatFan's countdown starts!
only 68 actually!
Fixed. Thanks.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I'd take that!
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I'd absolutely take 8-4.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

8 wins with a relatively young team...sounds good to me
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

i think you're all reading the tweet wrong. it says 6.94 wins for Arizona.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

ASUHATER! wrote:i think you're all reading the tweet wrong. it says 6.94 wins for Arizona.
Shit! Fuck that! :D

Actually 7-5 wouldn't be terrible.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

azgreg wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:i think you're all reading the tweet wrong. it says 6.94 wins for Arizona.

I would be upset. New coach or not. Barring injuries, should start 4-0. Going 3-5 against USC, Cal, Utah, UCLA, Oregon, CU, Wazzu and Assu would be disappointing to me.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

9-3 "look" it
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azgreg wrote:

Absolutely, with no experienced backup QB, 2 out of your top 3 RBs gone, along with starters on both sides of the line, several LBs from an already small group, your best CB to the NFL and so on.

JJ Taylor is a very skilled RB, but too small for an every down back. Not sure if Mazzone was kidding or not, but he didn't even know Tilford's name, and only knew him by number, and said he was still learning which hole was which.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Damn 7 wins is not terrible but this team is bringing a lot back.

Stud starting QB working with a real QB coach now
JJ at RB (I think he can be an every down back personally. Guy looks Jacked right now)
All WR's/TE's back (Not the best group but nothing terrible)
3 Starters back on OL (Friekh, Creason, and Elridge) and I think we actually have decent depth here now
Size along DL (FINALLY)
Returning LBs that should be better with age
Most the secondary is back too
And we brought in a transfer Punter who can actually Punt!!!!!

Very Favorable schedule too

I have concerns for sure (QB Depth, RB depth, lack of talent at WR, still not great NFL type talent along OL and DL)

But 7 wins seems like the baseline with 8 to 9 wins possible
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

btfd16 wrote:
azgreg wrote:

I would be upset. New coach or not. Barring injuries, should start 4-0. Going 3-5 against USC, Cal, Utah, UCLA, Oregon, CU, Wazzu and Assu would be disappointing to me.
That USC game at home is going to be a big one.

Feels like Cal, UCLA, CU, Wazzu, Oregon and ASU are all winnable. The only game that I think is really tough is Utah as they should be very good and its at Utah. I think USC is going to be down a bit and none of those other teams scare me at all. Oregon could be a lot better but that is in Tucson
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Newportcat wrote: All WR's/TE's back
Tyrell Johnson and Trevor Wood are quite sad they are already forgotten!

Although Tyrell was a huge disappointment with his fantastic world class speed. Trevor of course beaten out by a true frosh, so good luck to him.

Very good class of true freshmen now becoming sophomores.