2018 Arizona Wildcats football team

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

azgreg

2018 Arizona Wildcats football team

Post by azgreg »

Going strictly off the NAU and ASSu depth charts the following guys are gone (seniors):

Offense:
Cam Denson
Tyrell Johnson
Layth Friekh
Jacob Alsadek
Gerhard de Beer
Shawn Poindexter
Nick Wilson
Zach Green
Christian Boettcher

Defense:
Luca Bruno
Parker Zellers
Brandon Rutt
Dane Cruikshank
Jack Banda
DeAndre’ Miller
Kwesi Mashack

http://www.arizonawildcats.com/document ... vs_NAU.pdf" target="_blank
http://www.arizonawildcats.com/document ... at_ASU.pdf" target="_blank
Footballjunkie

Re: 2018 Arizona Wildcats football team

Post by Footballjunkie »

I remember RR saying that Poindexter might have anothet year? Has that whole situation been decided?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

They put in a request for both he and Layth Friek. We will see what happens
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

When I look at who we are losing and who is coming in I don't think we'll be all that bad off. My main concern is OL. Do we have enough in the backups and in who's coming in to make it up?
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

azgreg wrote:When I look at who we are losing and who is coming in I don't think we'll be all that bad off. My main concern is OL. Do we have enough in the backups and in who's coming in to make it up?

Not with Coach M headed for Oregon State.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

chiefzona wrote:
azgreg wrote:When I look at who we are losing and who is coming in I don't think we'll be all that bad off. My main concern is OL. Do we have enough in the backups and in who's coming in to make it up?

Hearing Glenn Parker is an option. Don't know his coaching experience, but he has been around the team every day for two years now.

EDIT: No doubt about it, this one hurts.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

btfd16 wrote:
chiefzona wrote:

Hearing Glenn Parker is an option. Don't know his coaching experience, but he has been around the team every day for two years now.

EDIT: No doubt about it, this one hurts.

Possible but wouldn’t be a smart move. They need a good one and one who knows zone blocking well.
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

Jim Turner Tex A & M would be Great but probably not. Very Good Recruiter as well.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

ramcat wrote:Jim Turner Tex A & M would be Great but probably not. Very Good Recruiter as well.
Was he officially let go by Jimbo or TBD?
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

btfd16 wrote:
ramcat wrote:Jim Turner Tex A & M would be Great but probably not. Very Good Recruiter as well.
Was he officially let go by Jimbo or TBD?
TBD
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

Think Fisher will try to keep him but not sure it's done deal. Long shot for sure.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

I really like the Glenn Parker idea
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

PHXCATS wrote:I really like the Glenn Parker idea
So does Lev.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

Merkin wrote:
So does Lev.
So do the replies.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

btfd16 wrote:
Merkin wrote:
So does Lev.
So do the replies.
Homers always going to homer.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

ChooChooCat wrote:
btfd16 wrote:
Merkin wrote:
So does Lev.
So do the replies.
Whats the problem with the idea? He played the position and is a former NFL player, loves the Wildcats and has been around the guys, and has a great attitude for improvement and fire, and has good football knowledge.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Better get on it quick.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

PHXCATS wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
btfd16 wrote:
Merkin wrote:
So does Lev.
So do the replies.
Whats the problem with the idea? He played the position and is a former NFL player, loves the Wildcats and has been around the guys, and has a great attitude for improvement and fire, and has good football knowledge.
Can he recruit? Is he willing to put ridiculous amount of time and effort into that process? I'm not doubting his ability to teach kids how to block, although he's never done it in an official setting, so maybe I should be doubting it, but there's more than goes into coaching at the college level than being a former NFL player and alum.
Alpha chiefdom

Post by Alpha chiefdom »

What about rick tricket or greg frey both have rich rod connections?
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Parker is an option but would not be a good choice considering the mess that RR left the next OL coach. Parker is a nice guy but has zero coaching experience and he is green on zone blocking. Need a better option.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

quote="ChooChooCat"]
PHXCATS wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
btfd16 wrote:
Merkin wrote:
So does Lev.
So do the replies.
Can he recruit? Is he willing to put ridiculous amount of time and effort into that process? I'm not doubting his ability to teach kids how to block, although he's never done it in an official setting, so maybe I should be doubting it, but there's more than goes into coaching at the college level than being a former NFL player and alum.[/quote]

Of course there is, but I think he has the personality to do it (teach and recruit) and sounds like he wants to.

Different ages but someone had to give Saban his first coaching job. We would have had those doubts about Saban getting his first job now adays.

And I am not saying Parker will be the next Saban, just saying there are always unknowns and doubts when inexperience but that doesn't mean the right call is to not offer.
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

Mike Cavanaugh coached oline with Reilly at Nebraska and prior at Oregon St for a number of years. Tons of experience!
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

Adrian Klemm coached oline at UCLA and was recognized as a top recruiter. Was let go early in the year but not sure if he's latched on somevwhere.
Really good recruiter but pretty pedestrian coach. Oline of UCLA always seemed to under achieve.
Last edited by ramcat on Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

grass is always greener
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

chiefzona wrote:Parker is an option but would not be a good choice considering the mess that RR left the next OL coach. Parker is a nice guy but has zero coaching experience and he is green on zone blocking. Need a better option.
I agree with every thing you said, but I wouldn't call it a mess. Every single guy who will start next year was on the roster this past year and either played or was injured. The line will be ok.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

ChooChooCat wrote:
chiefzona wrote:Parker is an option but would not be a good choice considering the mess that RR left the next OL coach. Parker is a nice guy but has zero coaching experience and he is green on zone blocking. Need a better option.
I agree with every thing you said, but I wouldn't call it a mess. Every single guy who will start next year was on the roster this past year and either played or was injured. The line will be ok.

The line will have no depth and even with Michalczik here, would've been a mess. Now it's even worse. Add that with JJ being the starter and poor depth at RB too and the run game is a bit questionable at this point. Now, things can change but it ain't looking good right now. We shall see how things play out.
Footballjunkie

Post by Footballjunkie »

Somebody call John Fina!
4 Superbowls
10 years of NFL exp.
lives in Tucson.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

chiefzona wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

The line will have no depth and even with Michalczik here, would've been a mess. Now it's even worse. Add that with JJ being the starter and poor depth at RB too and the run game is a bit questionable at this point. Now, things can change but it ain't looking good right now. We shall see how things play out.
Yep lots of wrong in that post but not surprising given how Chief feels about RR. They will be inexperience but the staff loves Cain and Creason was as much a starter as the starting 5. Eletise if he can control weight should have a solid year. Depth will be am issue for sure and we need more bodies So I welcome a change
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

azcat49 wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

Yep lots of wrong in that post but not surprising given how Chief feels about RR. They will be inexperience but the staff loves Cain and Creason was as much a starter as the starting 5. Eletise if he can control weight should have a solid year. Depth will be am issue for sure and we need more bodies So I welcome a change
Typical RR post from chiefhater. Doesn't coach JM have any responsibility for the state of the O line? The buck stops at RR but I wonder how hard he tried to keep JM on board. I mean, ntOSU over Arizona? He got an assistant head coach title, make sense from that perspective. Anyways, hopefully we can get a new OL coach on board that has some good commits they can bring with. I like the idea of Glenn Parker but it would be good to get a coach with a built-in recruiting pipeline. Maybe Glenn can start as some type of assistant or analyst and start building relationships for the next time around.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

chiefzona wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

Are you that freaking worry? What mess are you trying to say. Not enough depth in O-line? Ok so if I go check ArizonaWildcats.com on Arizona roster and I count 18, Losing 4, Adding 3. So do the math. We should be fine in the department.
Alpha chiefdom

Post by Alpha chiefdom »

Yes chiefzona is worried he's the biggest rich rod hater out there. In his eyes rich rod can't do anything right. I think this might be a good thing coach m is gone. Coach m offensive lines were terrible at pass blocking and not aggressive at run blocking. I would like to see coach rod hire greg frey or rick tricket. both good recruiters with understanding of zone blocking. Tricket coached with rod at wvu and frey at Michigan.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

That will never happen if Heeke pony up the money for RR to hired any of those two.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

UALoco wrote:
azcat49 wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

Typical RR post from chiefhater. Doesn't coach JM have any responsibility for the state of the O line? The buck stops at RR but I wonder how hard he tried to keep JM on board. I mean, ntOSU over Arizona? He got an assistant head coach title, make sense from that perspective. Anyways, hopefully we can get a new OL coach on board that has some good commits they can bring with. I like the idea of Glenn Parker but it would be good to get a coach with a built-in recruiting pipeline. Maybe Glenn can start as some type of assistant or analyst and start building relationships for the next time around.
JM has been trying to leave for years. Last year it was Fresno St and his old boss from California so this was not unexpected. Some of that was used against us on the recruiting trail. Last year wasn't a good year to make a change coming off a 3-9 campaign. Now it's a bit easuer.

We could get LF back with a Jr center Nj, eEetise, Cain, Creason, the Sparty transfer Lakuso and I can't remember the two other guys we had in the rotation this year. Not sure but for sure thin. This one isn't on RR
Last edited by azcat49 on Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

If a good OL coach took an Oregon State job and was looking at a Fresno State job last year.....what does that tell you? Oregon State and Fresno State over Arizona? It’s a direct reflection of the head honcho. Think about it.
Alpha chiefdom

Post by Alpha chiefdom »

What it tells me is that coach m was a coach that doesn't like to recruit. He's far from a good offensive line coach. He would rather go to Oregon st. or Fresno st. where his lack of putting full effort towards his job will be tolerated. I believe we will see a major improvement in line play next season. This team is about to be scary good I'm excited for the future
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

He's got an associate HC title now and run game coordinator responsibility. Likely to get a nice bump in pay as well.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Alpha chiefdom wrote:What it tells me is that coach m was a coach that doesn't like to recruit. He's far from a good offensive line coach. He would rather go to Oregon st. or Fresno st. where his lack of putting full effort towards his job will be tolerated. I believe we will see a major improvement in line play next season. This team is about to be scary good I'm excited for the future

Every single thing that you said in this paragraph is wrong. RR doesn’t like to recruit and handcuffed Coach M. Yet, Coach M still coached his ass off to try and keep his OL competitive in which he succeeded. Alsadek was good because of him. Eldridge became a serviceable C which wasn’t his natural position. DeBeer became a decent O-lineman without having much football experience because of Coach M. So, you’re wrong. But hey, keep drumming your Anti-Chief rants. I own you. Kisses Cousin.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I do think coach M was a pretty good coach and did good work with what we had. Recruiting wise his desire to get back to the NW was often used against us thus maybe the difficulty in bringing in kids.

Not sure why RR is targeted as the main reason everyone can't recruit. Yes the buck stops at his desk and he appears to take the path of least resistance but his job is also to assemble guys that can recruit and if they don't to make changes as he has done
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

azcat49 wrote:I do think coach M was a pretty good coach and did good work with what we had. Recruiting wise his desire to get back to the NW was often used against us thus maybe the difficulty in bringing in kids.

Not sure why RR is targeted as the main reason everyone can't recruit. Yes the buck stops at his desk and he appears to take the path of least resistance but his job is also to assemble guys that can recruit and if they don't to make changes as he has done

RR is the final say in who and what positions get recruited and who they end up giving scholarships too. He has always neglected the OL and DL. He’s notorious for it. Michalczik put up with it for as long as he could than jumped to a lesser school.
Alpha chiefdom

Post by Alpha chiefdom »

Lol, chiefzona you definitely don't own me. I'm just getting started with you that's why I'm the alpha. You think you know but you have no idea. Rrod has always had good offensive lines. Go back to his wvu days and Michigan they put out some good line play i would say thanks to rrod system is why the line play under coach m has been decent the last few years. My only complaint with coach rod is on defense always has been his weak point. I think he's finally getting that corrected. You stating that he has always neglected oline is not true.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Alpha chiefdom wrote:Lol, chiefzona you definitely don't own me. I'm just getting started with you that's why I'm the alpha. You think you know but you have no idea. Rrod has always had good offensive lines. Go back to his wvu days and Michigan they put out some good line play i would say thanks to rrod system is why the line play under coach m has been decent the last few years. My only complaint with coach rod is on defense always has been his weak point. I think he's finally getting that corrected. You stating that he has always neglected oline is not true.

I disagree with everything you said except defense has always been RR’s weakness. In his mind, his offense is his defense. :lol:
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

chiefzona wrote:If a good OL coach took an Oregon State job and was looking at a Fresno State job last year.....what does that tell you? Oregon State and Fresno State over Arizona? It’s a direct reflection of the head honcho. Think about it.
No doubt this is what it tells you. You are transparent. Getting beyond your hate for RR, why weren't better schools interested in JM? If he is so terrific, why only Fresno State and and then he jumps at mighty Oregon State? Being the OL coach on a perennial loser is going to look great on his resume, right? Couldn't cut it at Cal, produced shitty results at UA, now he's at OSU, the conference joke, and he's 51 years old. Is that your idea of a winner? Think about it.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

chiefzona wrote:If a good OL coach took an Oregon State job and was looking at a Fresno State job last year.....what does that tell you? Oregon State and Fresno State over Arizona? It’s a direct reflection of the head honcho. Think about it.
The Michalczik's and the Rodriguez' are friends. You're wrong on this. Max and Rhett were really good friends in HS as well. He is familiar with Tedford, would've gotten a promotion. He is getting a promotion at ntOSU. This isn't Jim hating RR this is you hating RR.
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

chiefzona wrote:
Alpha chiefdom wrote:Lol, chiefzona you definitely don't own me. I'm just getting started with you that's why I'm the alpha. You think you know but you have no idea. Rrod has always had good offensive lines. Go back to his wvu days and Michigan they put out some good line play i would say thanks to rrod system is why the line play under coach m has been decent the last few years. My only complaint with coach rod is on defense always has been his weak point. I think he's finally getting that corrected. You stating that he has always neglected oline is not true.

I disagree with everything you said except defense has always been RR’s weakness. In his mind, his offense is his defense. :lol:

C'mon. RR generally does have statistically good line play. Perennial top 30 in FBS in run offense, total offense and less so perennial top 30 with sacks allowed. This goes back to early WV days to current.

RR has been run heavy most of his career. Actually has changed since being at UA. Sacks allowed for him took a hit in Anu Solomon days and 1st year at Michigan. Other than among the best in sacks allowed. Run offense and Total offense were still among the best in FBS these years. You could say scheme but then again puts less emphasis or analysis towards the Oline.

BTW, Rick Trickett would be a nice plug for OL coach. Former Marine, players love him, long time friend of RR's. Little up there in age. Not much in West Coast recruiting but reputation would ease that. Way too expensive for UA though.

Defense? I'm on board with
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

btfd16 wrote:
The Michalczik's and the Rodriguez' are friends. You're wrong on this. Max and Rhett were really good friends in HS as well. He is familiar with Tedford, would've gotten a promotion. He is getting a promotion at ntOSU. This isn't Jim hating RR this is you hating RR.

I never mentioned that it was hate. Show me where I said that.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

MrMeow wrote:
No doubt this is what it tells you. You are transparent. Getting beyond your hate for RR, why weren't better schools interested in JM? If he is so terrific, why only Fresno State and and then he jumps at mighty Oregon State? Being the OL coach on a perennial loser is going to look great on his resume, right? Couldn't cut it at Cal, produced shitty results at UA, now he's at OSU, the conference joke, and he's 51 years old. Is that your idea of a winner? Think about it.

There isn’t one thing right about what you said. Wow.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

chiefzona wrote:
MrMeow wrote:

There isn’t one thing right about what you said. Wow.
Sorry Chief, there is nothing I said that is not true ... beginning with your demonstrated hatred for RR, which stands out in all your posts. Yes, you are transparent, and yes, JM is, and has been, on a downward slide. Fresno State and OSU are not great opportunities. They are the best JM could do, and that is not RR's fault. Did I get his age wrong? (no)
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:
chiefzona wrote:

C'mon. RR generally does have statistically good line play. Perennial top 30 in FBS in run offense, total offense and less so perennial top 30 with sacks allowed. This goes back to early WV days to current.

RR has been run heavy most of his career. Actually has changed since being at UA. Sacks allowed for him took a hit in Anu Solomon days and 1st year at Michigan. Other than among the best in sacks allowed. Run offense and Total offense were still among the best in FBS these years. You could say scheme but then again puts less emphasis or analysis towards the Oline.

BTW, Rick Trickett would be a nice plug for OL coach. Former Marine, players love him, long time friend of RR's. Little up there in age. Not much in West Coast recruiting but reputation would ease that. Way too expensive for UA though.

RR got away with poor OL recruiting at WVU because it was in the Big East and he had a brand new offense that DCs couldn't figure out. Same here at Arizona. He came in and rode Stoop's offensive lineman for 3 years and then the recruiting drop off on the line became quite apparent. Michalczik did whatever he could with the patchwork OL. But he knew the ride was over. RR has a good no sacks allowed stat because he doesn't have pocket passers or even passers. He has runners back there that defenses have to play differently. The DCs usually back off on the pass rush since the majority of RR's offense is running. RR's run blocks are made quickly and efficiently but you'll notice when they play the good DLs that end up blowing them off the line.

I don't know much about Trickett. We Marines are never former.....once a Marine always a Marine. :D
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

chiefzona wrote:
RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:
chiefzona wrote:

RR got away with poor OL recruiting at WVU because it was in the Big East and he had a brand new offense that DCs couldn't figure out. Same here at Arizona. He came in and rode Stoop's offensive lineman for 3 years and then the recruiting drop off on the line became quite apparent. Michalczik did whatever he could with the patchwork OL. But he knew the ride was over. RR has a good no sacks allowed stat because he doesn't have pocket passers or even passers. He has runners back there that defenses have to play differently. The DCs usually back off on the pass rush since the majority of RR's offense is running. RR's run blocks are made quickly and efficiently but you'll notice when they play the good DLs that end up blowing them off the line.

I don't know much about Trickett. We Marines are never former.....once a Marine always a Marine. :D
Chief, the absurdity of what you imply, that as a D-1 head football coach, RR does not allow the recruitment of superior OL recruits because he doesn't value a good offensive line, and therefore JM was stuck with what RR allowed. Wow!
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

MrMeow wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:
chiefzona wrote:

Chief, the absurdity of what you imply, that as a D-1 head football coach, RR does not allow the recruitment of superior OL recruits because he doesn't value a good offensive line, and therefore JM was stuck with what RR allowed. Wow!
RR has been neglectful at Arizona of his OL and DL. We all know this. I never said he doesn't allow. He doesn't get them or he signs off on lower echelon guys. I'd also add that scheme could stop the stellar guys.