Arizona Coaching Search

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

TX AGGIE

Re: Arizona Coaching Search

Post by TX AGGIE »

btfd16 wrote:
TX AGGIE wrote:
btfd16 wrote:
TX AGGIE wrote:There is also a lot of chatter on our site that if Sumlin does indeed take the HC job, Kellen Mond is going to transfer to UA. 5* DT QB out of SA, played for IMG his senior year. Would be a fantastic backup to Tate!
Curious, what is your site?
Our site is called TEXAGS. It's a solid forum site. however the free membership portion is nicknamed the "Zoo" there are all kinds of crazy stuff flying around, but the premium site is where it's at. The Moderators are outstanding and post up to date information. Also, there is no sunshine pumping. everything is straight forward and they tell us how it is. if they think we are going 8-4 that's what it is, no 10-2 seasons just to get the masses pumped up. Not like the jack@$$ M^%@#$# @#!$$ *&$$ &%$$ shorthorns!
:lol: :lol: :lol: I grew up in Dallas I know how the UT-A&M dynamic works. Love it.
:lol: I'm sure there is no love loss between y'all and devils!!!
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

TX AGGIE wrote:
btfd16 wrote:
TX AGGIE wrote:
btfd16 wrote:
TX AGGIE wrote:There is also a lot of chatter on our site that if Sumlin does indeed take the HC job, Kellen Mond is going to transfer to UA. 5* DT QB out of SA, played for IMG his senior year. Would be a fantastic backup to Tate!
Curious, what is your site?
Our site is called TEXAGS. It's a solid forum site. however the free membership portion is nicknamed the "Zoo" there are all kinds of crazy stuff flying around, but the premium site is where it's at. The Moderators are outstanding and post up to date information. Also, there is no sunshine pumping. everything is straight forward and they tell us how it is. if they think we are going 8-4 that's what it is, no 10-2 seasons just to get the masses pumped up. Not like the jack@$$ M^%@#$# @#!$$ *&$$ &%$$ shorthorns!
:lol: :lol: :lol: I grew up in Dallas I know how the UT-A&M dynamic works. Love it.
:lol: I'm sure there is no love loss between y'all and devils!!!
This site has sponsors for a damn forum topic........ Damn I miss Texas football. Wish we cared that much. My HS just built a $65 million dollar stadium and our P5 football team is having a hard time paying a coach. I know it's not apples to apples but still.
TX AGGIE

Post by TX AGGIE »

Yeah, there are a ton of sponsors. I just played in a charity golf tournament for Von Miller. Things have really ramped up since the Jimbo hire. I still think if Y'all hire Sumlin, you see a big jump in football revenue!
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

chiefzona wrote:
DrWildcat wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
btfd16 wrote:
chiefzona wrote:I think Heeke is having a hard time getting the money for finalizing a deal with Sumlin so Neuheisel’s name is mentioned to speed up the process with Sumlin. Baldwin is right there and I would put a high percentage that he gets offered. I believe there is a dark horse who hasn’t been mentioned who Heeke is keeping close to the vest in case things get chaotic. Neuheisel is the bottom feeder.
Speed up the process with who? Boosters saying "fuck that, here is some money for Sumlin"? Because I don't think Sumlin would honestly believe Neuheisel is a legit bargaining chip to make him come down on money.

Speed up the process with Sumlin. They both might be off on what they want. Sumlin has all the time in the world....Heeke does not. Neuheisel isn’t legit but Heeke is a bit desperate. This is the biggest hire he’s ever made in his life and his job rides on it yet his time frame is short. You could imagine that he’s a bit desperate. That’s a BAD position to be in and I will bet all my money that Sumlin smells it like a shark.
You're right that Sumlin has all the leverage, he doesn't need this job. However, I fail to see how throwing out Neuheisel speeds anything up because no one believes he is a legit candidate. I can't imagine boosters would want to give more money to get Sumlin because they fear we would get Neuheisel. If they don't want to pay Sumlin I would assume they push for some coordinator (i.e. Baldwin) or non-power 5 coach.
I think that Heeke knows Sumlin is the hire that makes most fans and players happy but he’s having a hard time negotiating. His easy pick then becomes Baldwin.
... and Heeke should pull the trigger and take his "easy pick". As you say, time is not on Heeke's side and Baldwin is a good coach. If Sumlin wants to play hardball, let him play ... by himself.
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

I know none of us thought Neuheisel was a legitimate candidate but this is some good news.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

If budget is an issue to close the deal on Sumlin/Mazzonne, now would be a good time to buy those season tix!! :P
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

MrMeow wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
DrWildcat wrote:
chiefzona wrote:

Speed up the process with Sumlin. They both might be off on what they want. Sumlin has all the time in the world....Heeke does not. Neuheisel isn’t legit but Heeke is a bit desperate. This is the biggest hire he’s ever made in his life and his job rides on it yet his time frame is short. You could imagine that he’s a bit desperate. That’s a BAD position to be in and I will bet all my money that Sumlin smells it like a shark.
You're right that Sumlin has all the leverage, he doesn't need this job. However, I fail to see how throwing out Neuheisel speeds anything up because no one believes he is a legit candidate. I can't imagine boosters would want to give more money to get Sumlin because they fear we would get Neuheisel. If they don't want to pay Sumlin I would assume they push for some coordinator (i.e. Baldwin) or non-power 5 coach.
I think that Heeke knows Sumlin is the hire that makes most fans and players happy but he’s having a hard time negotiating. His easy pick then becomes Baldwin.
... and Heeke should pull the trigger and take his "easy pick". As you say, time is not on Heeke's side and Baldwin is a good coach. If Sumlin wants to play hardball, let him play ... by himself.
I completely agree with you.
TX AGGIE

Post by TX AGGIE »

UALoco wrote:If budget is an issue to close the deal on Sumlin/Mazzonne, now would be a good time to buy those season tix!! :P
That is a very good idea, after Sumlin's 1st season with us, season tickets literally tripled the next year!
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

UALoco wrote:If budget is an issue to close the deal on Sumlin/Mazzonne, now would be a good time to buy those season tix!! :P
Season tickets to the Anaheim Angels or UofA Football?
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

There are a few more names he polled, but every single poll, the majority was "NO", save for Sumlin and Miles. BB better win some games (and I think he can), or it won't turn out well for Heeke.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

chiefzona wrote:
MrMeow wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
DrWildcat wrote:
chiefzona wrote:

I completely agree with you.
And I'll be the third to agree with it.
Sid

Post by Sid »

I keep going back to the trolls to the North coaching search and how unsettling it was that they might actually hire pimp cane. I was ecstatic with the final choice those clowns made and relieved it wasn’t Sumlin. The irony....

I’m now in the Sumlin camp, close this damn deal!
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Yep, Attendance matters. period.

I have done what I can to help get Sumlin here. Hope some others can push it over the line Heeke needs.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

PHXCATS wrote:

I have done what I can to help get Sumlin here. Hope some others can push it over the line Heeke needs.
Sorry, but I am not giving a dime on speculation. I cannot give enough to set it over the edge, but I can help out in the way of season tickets. I am not making that commitment in the hope we get Sumlin.
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

Thats my feeling. This year was the first time I did not buy a season and waited until game times were announced. It was nice to not be the seller of tickets but a buyer. It was also nice to move around based on who I was near :)
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

btfd16 wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:

Sorry, but I am not giving a dime on speculation. I cannot give enough to set it over the edge, but I can help out in the way of season tickets. I am not making that commitment in the hope we get Sumlin.
What I mean is that if it is a dollars thing, then having sold more tickets last year would have helped with that.

I am guessing this is something that was mentioned to get Sumlin to either bring down his price or his assistants' pool price and/or get more money from donors.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

PHXCATS wrote:

the glorious martyr speaks. :roll:
TX AGGIE

Post by TX AGGIE »

Really hope you guys pick somebody soon! With the dead period ending on Friday, would be nice to have the head man in place!
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

Think it's down to Sumlin, Baldwin, or Helfrich. Very Happy with Sumlin and Baldwin. Scared of Helfrich, though some coaches improved significantly on their second attempts as HC.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

PHXCATS wrote:

I’m not sure what you are referring to with what you’ve done to get Sumlin here. Did you pledge to donate with the stipulation that it was only if Sumlin was hired, or did you buy tickets as per your comment about attendance mattering?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Chicat wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:

I’m not sure what you are referring to with what you’ve done to get Sumlin here. Did you pledge to donate with the stipulation that it was only if Sumlin was hired, or did you buy tickets as per your comment about attendance mattering?
I'm going with fluffer.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

UALoco

Post by UALoco »

UofAlum05 wrote:
Season tickets to the Anaheim Angels or UofA Football?
Hm...I don't think it is a passthrough so I'll go with UofA....
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

The longer this goes on the less I think it will be Sumlin. Seems pretty clear whats going on at this point.
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

I would imagine that the Sumlin train has left the station or is at-least warming up.

My take is Sumlin doesn't really want the Arizona job, but would take it for couple of years if it was stupid money thrown at him. We don't have stupid money to throw at anyone.

At the end of the day the UofA is going to get the level of coach that we all deep down inside really knew all along because our internal (Former Alums) and external (Fan Support) simply lack the elite level to compete at that end of top tier football funding options.

We will settle for a middle of the road up and comer and that's probably going to be B Baldwin.

Rinse & Repeat. Truely hope I'm wrong.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Holy shit, but that PPU tweet is starting to sound a lot like Ajay has been resurrected.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Sumin has some name recognition, but what in the name of all that is holy has he actually accomplished?
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

Puerco wrote:Sumin has some name recognition, but what in the name of all that is holy has he actually accomplished?
Heisman winner, 11-2, monster recruiting classes, 51-26 in the hardest division in sports, beat Alabama, nice all around guy who is liked by the community. Should I stop?
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

way more than anything Rich has done in the last decade.
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

Sumlin has pulled recruits out of our own state that we could only dream of. Arizona needs recruiting and a major upgrade in size/talent more than any up and comer, smart X & Os, gimmick offense. Talent is needed ASAP!!
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Tons of things could be and likely are happening behind the scenes. I think if there is no response by this time tomorrow then Sumlin is out.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

I don't think a damn thing has changed since yesterday outside of maybe the Troy coach being out of it. Still trying to work things out with Sumlin and if that doesn't pan out you're looking at the Beau Baldwin era.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

Seattle job just came open. Don't think he'd be a candidate there though.
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

ChooChooCat wrote:I don't think a damn thing has changed since yesterday outside of maybe the Troy coach being out of it. Still trying to work things out with Sumlin and if that doesn't pan out you're looking at the Beau Baldwin era.
Maybe Heeke wants to make the big intro at the basketball game?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

UofAlum05 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:I don't think a damn thing has changed since yesterday outside of maybe the Troy coach being out of it. Still trying to work things out with Sumlin and if that doesn't pan out you're looking at the Beau Baldwin era.
Maybe Heeke wants to make the big intro at the basketball game?

That's what Scheer just speculated on 1290.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

btfd16 wrote:
Puerco wrote:Sumin has some name recognition, but what in the name of all that is holy has he actually accomplished?
Heisman winner, 11-2, monster recruiting classes, 51-26 in the hardest division in sports, beat Alabama, nice all around guy who is liked by the community. Should I stop?
25-23 in his division, with only his first year being above the middle of the pack. Take away Manziel's Heisman year, and he was 19-21 in division and never finished above 4th.

Texas A&M Aggies (Southeastern Conference) (2012–2017)
2012 Texas A&M 11–2 6–2 T–2nd (Western) W Cotton 5 5
2013 Texas A&M 9–4 4–4 4th (Western) W Chick-fil-A 18 18
2014 Texas A&M 8–5 3–5 6th (Western) W Liberty
2015 Texas A&M 8–5 4–4 T–5th (Western) L Music City
2016 Texas A&M 8–5 4–4 4th (Western) L Texas
2017 Texas A&M 7–5** 4–4 T–4th (Western) Belk**

So 26 of his 51 wins were OOC and, per this article, 18 were against non-P5 opponents. Lots of info in this article that should make you stop and think.

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/colleg ... ive-seemed

I am perfectly happy with an up-and-comer for our new HC, someone who, hopefully, will be successful, and who also might stick around for a while.
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

Please don't make the mistake as my 2nd favorite college football program East Carolina.

East Carolina fired Ruffin McNeil 2 seasons ago. I still don't agree with it but fine the AD and Ruff didn't see eye to eye. (I love Ruff and miss that guy every day. Congrats OU, you've got a hell of an associate head coach).

So ECU went out and soon you started hearing that a deal with Brady Hoke was close to done. Say what you will about Hoke at Michigan but I actually thought it would have been a good hire for ECU considering what Hoke did at SDSU. For days this went on and us ECU fans kept hearing that they were falling just short on money for assistant coaches. I kept telling myself that that ECU would find the money somehow and make the hire happen.

Well long story short the money didn't happen. ECU went on the cheap and hired Scottie Montgomery, the OC at Duke. It was sold that although hiring an OC from Duke seemed underwhelming he had a really strong background in the NFL and was seen in coaching circles as an up and coming superstar.

Well, the last 2 seasons at ECU have totally sucked. They went from one of the most exciting teams in college football to just straight up awful. They can't tackle, complete a pass, or do anything right. They are one of the worst teams in college football with really no hope in site. The home atmosphere at ECU went from sold out and electric every Saturday to half filled stadium and dead. All of Eastern North Carolina has suffered economically due to the downtrodden football program.

So yeah, coming up with the money and making the big hire does matter
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

Even if we get Sumlin, and we have a great season next year, are y'all going to get your panties in a bind if he flirts with bigger programs after "resurrecting" AZ? :lol:
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

UALoco wrote:Even if we get Sumlin, and we have a great season next year, are y'all going to get your panties in a bind if he flirts with bigger programs after "resurrecting" AZ? :lol:
Then maybe at that time Yates can take over.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

UALoco wrote:Even if we get Sumlin, and we have a great season next year, are y'all going to get your panties in a bind if he flirts with bigger programs after "resurrecting" AZ? :lol:
Nope! Just make him pay a huge buyout, and as long he doesn't lie about it and take the redeye out of town without saying goodbye to the players all is good.

UA is a middling program. Always has been and always will be. Just like Bama is and was and always will be elite.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

no. because only the blind homers think that everyone associated with the university should be loyal for the rest of their lifetimes. but for 99% of coaches it is their job first and last and they are there to be successful and make millions.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

Merkin wrote:
Nope! Just make him pay a huge buyout, and as long he doesn't lie about it and take the redeye out of town without saying goodbye to the players all is good.

UA is a middling program. Always has been and always will be. Just like Bama is and was and always will be elite.
My thoughts exactly. I'd rather have a team coaches want to poach from than a team no one looks at. One year would suck yes, but we are not a destination job. Yet. And the coaches that see us as a destination job, aren't ready to be HC's yet.
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

The Pac-12 is wide open next year. I keep hearing you should never make a hire based off of current personal and the upcoming season. But when will the Pac-12 ever be this wide open ever again, with a National Heisman candidate at QB, a schedule that lays out nicely, and the Rose Bowl not being a CFP site game? I think they need to just pay whatever they can so that next year's team has a chance to take Arizona to new heights. Worry about the following seasons after.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

UofAlum05 wrote:Please don't make the mistake as my 2nd favorite college football program East Carolina.

East Carolina fired Ruffin McNeil 2 seasons ago. I still don't agree with it but fine the AD and Ruff didn't see eye to eye. (I love Ruff and miss that guy every day. Congrats OU, you've got a hell of an associate head coach).

So ECU went out and soon you started hearing that a deal with Brady Hoke was close to done. Say what you will about Hoke at Michigan but I actually thought it would have been a good hire for ECU considering what Hoke did at SDSU. For days this went on and us ECU fans kept hearing that they were falling just short on money for assistant coaches. I kept telling myself that that ECU would find the money somehow and make the hire happen.

Well long story short the money didn't happen. ECU went on the cheap and hired Scottie Montgomery, the OC at Duke. It was sold that although hiring an OC from Duke seemed underwhelming he had a really strong background in the NFL and was seen in coaching circles as an up and coming superstar.

Well, the last 2 seasons at ECU have totally sucked. They went from one of the most exciting teams in college football to just straight up awful. They can't tackle, complete a pass, or do anything right. They are one of the worst teams in college football with really no hope in site. The home atmosphere at ECU went from sold out and electric every Saturday to half filled stadium and dead. All of Eastern North Carolina has suffered economically due to the downtrodden football program.

if you want to buy those tickets now and make those donations.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

UofAlum05 wrote:The Pac-12 is wide open next year. I keep hearing you should never make a hire based off of current personal and the upcoming season. But when will the Pac-12 ever be this wide open ever again, with a National Heisman candidate at QB, a schedule that lays out nicely, and the Rose Bowl not being a CFP site game? I think they need to just pay whatever they can so that next year's team has a chance to take Arizona to new heights. Worry about the following seasons after.
Sumlin best for now and probably best for the future.
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

PHXCATS wrote:
UofAlum05 wrote:Please don't make the mistake as my 2nd favorite college football program East Carolina.

Well I live in LA so going to Tucson every weekend is tough. But I don't think the Wildcat Club is complaining about my monthly donation. That I can no longer write off, btw.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Remember, according to machina all Arizona fans live in Tucson only. Even on the internet.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

UofAlum05 wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:

Well I live in LA so going to Tucson every weekend is tough. But I don't think the Wildcat Club is complaining about my monthly donation. That I can no longer write off, btw.
was a message for everyone, not you specifically
prh

Post by prh »

Well at least the assholery is up front instead of thinly veiled now
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

prh wrote:Well at least the assholery is up front instead of thinly veiled now
If this is about me, did you see where I said if you want to? You dont have to, doesnt make you better or worse by any measure. If you want to do it though and you want Sumlin, doing it now is better than waiting.