Arizona Coaching Search

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

btfd16

Re: Arizona Coaching Search

Post by btfd16 »

OSUCat wrote:
Merkin wrote:Georgia Tech runs the same triple option as Navy does in the ACC, a basketball conference, and has 1 bowl game the last 3 years.
Its a good thing that Arizona didn't hire the Georgia tech coach then. ;)

Instead Arizona might hire a coach that did this.
Nope. Just hired his protege.
qwertyus

Post by qwertyus »

zonagrad wrote:
qwertyus wrote:I'll support whoever is hired because I support the team. KN is just a fucking terrible hire, that's all.

A. Fucking. Terrible. Bullshit. Hire.
I understand the reaction. And actually, it's not unlike the hire of Tomey 30 years ago from Hawaii. Who the hell was Dick Tomey? Hawaii was so far off the football map it wasn't even funny. But Tomey had a good lineage and bloodlines, much like coach N. Will they translate the same? Coach N is getting this job precisely because Tomey was a consultant to Heeke and preached about getting a coach who can build a culture at Arizona. The biggest question for me is what kind of staff will the new head coach put together and how will that translate to recruiting.

I'm not concerned about running the triple option. If that's part of the deal, then yes we're truly screwed. But I don't think a coach like N. is married to that offense. It's simply what works best at a service academy because is gives you the best chance for success.

Hiring coach N. certainly doesn't win the press conference. But come next fall, if the program is headed in the right direction then nobody will remember the press conference. Back to Tomey's hiring, that was about as close to losing the press conference as you could get. And Tomey's first season certainly underwhelmed with 3 ties. But the culture was built for Arizona football. It slogged along a few years and then really got rolling in the 90's. I think that's Heeke's strategy, like it or not.
So KN is like hiring Tomey from 30 years ago? Certainly fits in with his Stone-Age offense! It'll feel like we've gone back in time! Bring on the wishbone! The pooch punt! The fumble-rooskie! The drop-kick field goal!

Way to stick with the times, Heeke. ASU hires an ancient coach. We just hire a younger coach whose ideas are ancient.

If he gets young, amazing assistants, then maybe I can pretend like this is like hiring Beau Baldwin. But at the moment, it looks like we're trying to outdo ASU with the worst coaching hire.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

If Arizona can show up ready to play every game and not lose to teams with losing records that be awesome.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

OSUCat wrote:If Arizona can show up ready to play every game and not lose to teams with losing records that be awesome.
I won't disagree with this now that I think about it. You could always pencil in RR for winning a game we weren't supposed to, and losing a game we weren't supposed to.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

btfd16 wrote:
OSUCat wrote:If Arizona can show up ready to play every game and not lose to teams with losing records that be awesome.
I won't disagree with this now that I think about it. You could always pencil in RR for winning a game we weren't supposed to, and losing a game we weren't supposed to.
That really goes for any Arizona coach in the last 40 years
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Zonakat

Post by Zonakat »

Merkin wrote:Georgia Tech runs the same triple option as Navy does in the ACC, a basketball conference, and has 1 bowl game the last 3 years.

Way to cherry pick Georgia Tech's bowl record. You forgot to add that GT has been to 8 bowl games in the last ten years, including 7 straight. They also went to two BCS (Orange) bowls in a six year period.
BMalo

Post by BMalo »

Zonakat wrote:

Way to cherry pick Georgia Tech's bowl record. You forgot to add that GT has been to 8 bowl games in the last ten years, including 7 straight. They also went to two BCS (Orange) bowls in a six year period.

Goddammit, Donny.
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

Zonakat wrote:

Are we hiring the Georgia Tech coach?
Mike Luke's burner account.
Zonakat

Post by Zonakat »

Georgia Tech has won 9 or more games 4 times in the last 10 years. How long has it taken Arizona to win 9 or more 4 times? 32 years.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

OSUCat wrote:

This is not hating on Miller or the basketball team or anything but this is just like all the tweets the UA Athletics and A Players Program sends after UA loses in the NCAA Tournament. Cool interesting stats that mean nothing really in the scheme of things and are really a distraction.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

Zonakat wrote:Georgia Tech has won 9 or more games 4 times in the last 10 years. How long has it taken Arizona to win 9 or more 4 times? 32 years.
Again, are we hiring Paul Johnson?
Zonakat

Post by Zonakat »

KillerKlown wrote:
Zonakat wrote:Georgia Tech has won 9 or more games 4 times in the last 10 years. How long has it taken Arizona to win 9 or more 4 times? 32 years.
Again, are we hiring Paul Johnson?
Nope. The point is that there are a lot of people on here claiming that you can't win anymore running the triple option, not true.

Btw, Paul Johnson's win Pct. at Navy was 61%, Nuimatalolo's is 64%.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

PHXCATS wrote:
OSUCat wrote:

This is not hating on Miller or the basketball team or anything but this is just like all the tweets the UA Athletics and A Players Program sends after UA loses in the NCAA Tournament. Cool interesting stats that mean nothing really in the scheme of things and are really a distraction.
You do realize that this is not like your work (mod snip) right? You are so ambitious, machina.

What means nothing to you about our BB program under Miller? The conference championships? The deep NCAA runs? Just like UA FB under your beloved predator DickRod.
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

After much thought and research I can now say if Ken Nuimatalolo is our coach, I'm fully on board. We're all wildcats at heart.

He and the team will get my full support as this journey unfolds and we will all see together if he can find the magic at Arizona. If he is the guy I hope the team rallies around him and gives him a chance.

I do know this, he will do things the right way. Win or lose he will do the right thing. It doesn't mean success in the PAC 12 will be achieved, but integrity and leadership will go along way.

Coordinators and position coaches are going to be huge in this equation.
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

Any ideas on OC possibilities if Ken is hired? I would like Yates to be retained. Any of you believe the rumors of him not having much of a say on play calling/schemes under RR?
qwertyus

Post by qwertyus »

Gladiator Cat wrote:After much thought and research I can now say if Ken Nuimatalolo is our coach, I'm fully on board. We're all wildcats at heart.

He and the team will get my full support as this journey unfolds and we will all see together if he can find the magic at Arizona. If he is the guy I hope the team rallies around him and gives him a chance.

I do know this, he will do things the right way. Win or lose he will do the right thing. It doesn't mean success in the PAC 12 will be achieved, but integrity and leadership will go along way.

Agree with the bolded. No idea who the OC will be, or who will be brought in. IF we get top guys, like an OC with an offense from this century, and assistants that can recruit, KN is at least a "good guy", the polar opposite of his sexual predecessor...

...But in the meantime, we're getting spit on, and Hansen/Scheer are saying it's raining. SMH.
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

Gladiator Cat wrote:After much thought and research I can now say if Ken Nuimatalolo is our coach, I'm fully on board. We're all wildcats at heart.

I'm on board too. Don't have much of a choice.
At least his character and heart will always be in it.
Macho Grande

Post by Macho Grande »

"Tripple" check?
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

Macho Grande wrote: "Tripple" check?
:D
At least this wild ride is over...I think?
I really hope the players give him a chance.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

I think he is an outstanding coach and person and an awful hire.

If Khalil was your kid, would you tell him to stay or transfer? Be honest.. take off the red&blue goggles and pretend that his best interests were yours.
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

Harvey Specter wrote:I think he is an outstanding coach and person and an awful hire.

If Khalil was your kid, would you tell him to stay or transfer? Be honest.. take off the red&blue goggles and pretend that his best interests were yours.
If he was my kid I would tell him it's his decision. If I was Tate I would be confused as fck. I'll have to wait on the OC hire and what we're running.
His best interest would be leaving for Nebraska or the like no matter who we hire, in my opinion.
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

Since we're going back to the 20th century how 'bout them 90s uniforms?
Or can we not afford them?
Fire Larry Scott.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Any white smoke yet?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

CalStateTempe wrote:Any white smoke yet?
You don't actually read this thread do you?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Harvey Specter wrote:I think he is an outstanding coach and person and an awful hire.

He’s one season from being able to enter the draft, so I’d tell him to stick it out.

If he takes a step back next season his mom can publicly say the change in systems was a minor setback and his agent in waiting can privately float that Ken’s system was never a good fit but that he’s a loyal kid trying to do the right thing.

And then everyone hopes/prays that a team takes a flyer based on 6 games his sophomore season and his combine numbers.

Or best case, the new system protects him from injury and allows him to run & throw to the best of his ability and he leaves and has a better draft position.

Transferring really only delays everything a year. I see no advantage to that for Khalil. We live in a short attention span world. If he sits a year, people will forget and need to be reminded he was the most electrifying player in all of college football for a third of a season.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

I'd tell Tate to stay and honor the process.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Any black smoke yet? Bracing for the riot.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Longhorned wrote:Any black smoke yet? Bracing for the riot.

No. Just gray.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

On vacation so just checking in once or twice a day for a few minutes.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

chiefzona wrote:I'd tell Tate to stay and honor the process.
I think he should just come back home to love ones
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Zonakat wrote:

C'mon ZK, it's all about: "What have you done for me lately?" I don't think looking at the past 3 seasons is cherry picking. 2 losing seasons in the last 3!

How did Rich Rod and Todd Graham do the last 3 seasons?
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Exciting fan-loved hires often are busts
Boring head scratcher hires sometimes sometimes work out.

I don't know anything about this guy, seems totally out of left field... but if he is our coach, I'm gonna root for him and our team. Am I going to rush out and buy season tickets? No... but guess what... I wouldn't have done that if Nick Saban was announced as our HC. Instead I'll do what I always do... get tickets with my son for 1 or 2 games and try to watch the rest on some sort of illegal stream. What I won't do is swear off this team until he he can prove he can be winning 10 games a year, 4 years from now. That's ridiculous.

The reality is... we will probably continue to be all middle of the Pac team with some years being a ray of hope and others near the bottom... same as we would be with any coach that we brought in.

Go Cats!
Edub3

Post by Edub3 »

Not nearly as well as Ken N has done the past 3 seasons.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Do you even have a press conference if this is the hire?
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

This hire does not win the press conference but I will support him 100%. I would be shocked if he continued to run the same offense as he did at Navy. I'm pretty sure Heeke brought that up in the interview. Who knows, maybe he will bring Joe Salave'a on-board. I know there are many people upset it's not Sumlin, but I hope everyone will give him a chance. Welcome KN and Bear Down!
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

KillerKlown wrote:
No kidding about the wild ride...Even if we get Bill Belichick, Heeke went about this hire horribly and hope Miller stays long enough we don't have to see it again.

I hope the players stick it out too. Don't mean to be cryptic, I am not going to name names because minds could always change, but from texts I have received, the responses have been lets just say.. not good.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

btfd16 wrote:
KillerKlown wrote:
No kidding about the wild ride...Even if we get Bill Belichick, Heeke went about this hire horribly and hope Miller stays long enough we don't have to see it again.

I hope the players stick it out too. Don't mean to be cryptic, I am not going to name names because minds could always change, but from texts I have received, the responses have been lets just say.. not good.
Im not in love with the hire, but fuck the players.
Pop McKale

Post by Pop McKale »

We assume it's been a wild ride but say that without having any info from Heeke and the AD. All the leaks and supposed chaos has come from elsewhere. Heeke was in a no-win situation here. Retain a coach who is already not that well-liked and is suddenly accused of sexual harassment and embroiled in a lawsuit or fire him knowing the bulk of the college hiring season has already passed you by and you might not have the greatest pool of candidates to work from? It's clear to me he realizes the PR mess that the AD is in and had pretty much had it. Character matters more than style points at this juncture. No idea how Coach Ken will work out, but I think the coordinator hires could really make (or break) his time here if he decides to come west.

Odds are good that you're going to have unhappy players no matter what. You'll have defections no matter the hire. We had some less than week after Rich was fired and when Sumlin was the hot name. *Shrug* And you certainly don't gamble your program's fortunes and image on a single player or even group of players who haven't played a down for the incoming coach. There's already been too much of the inmates running the asylum in this AD over the last 4-5 years and this hire tells me that Heeke's pretty much had it with the BS. That's my take, anyway.

To me, the most egregious thing that's happened over the last few days is the players popping off on Twitter.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
btfd16 wrote:
KillerKlown wrote:

Yeah man! Fuck these guys who don't get paid and aren't employees for caring about their future and who leads them! Fuck em!
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Alieberman wrote:The reality is... we will probably continue to be all middle of the Pac team with some years being a ray of hope and others near the bottom... same as we would be with any coach that we brought in.
Ehhhhhhhhhhhhh......

I mean, if that’s the case, why bother? Disband football and join the Zags and Saint Mary’s in the WCC.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ChooChooCat wrote:Im not in love with the hire, but fuck the players.
I guess if you’re gonna have a hall of fame of regrettable takes, one is going to stand out above the others.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

Chicat wrote:
Alieberman wrote:The reality is... we will probably continue to be all middle of the Pac team with some years being a ray of hope and others near the bottom... same as we would be with any coach that we brought in.
Ehhhhhhhhhhhhh......

I mean, if that’s the case, why bother? Disband football and join the Zags and Saint Mary’s in the WCC.
There is no reason for me to believe we shouldn't be at the level of say a Louisville
Pop McKale

Post by Pop McKale »

btfd16 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
btfd16 wrote:
KillerKlown wrote:

Yeah man! Fuck these guys who don't get paid and aren't employees for caring about their future and who leads them! Fuck em!
They're free to go elsewhere. Some already have before Coach Ken was even in the wind as a possible hire. No one's telling them they can't have an opinion, either.

Don't get all righteous here. You know what Choo meant - the players don't get to make the hire and they shouldn't. This isn't Jon Moxon overthrowing Bud Kilmer so everyone can go out heroes.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Chicat wrote:
Ehhhhhhhhhhhhh......

I'm not saying not to have hope... I'm just trying to live in reality.

Mike Stoops... the hottest young Coordinator..... Rose Bowl here we come!!!

Rich Rod... how did we land him? A Homerun hire!!!!!

Ken Nuimatalolo... Who the fuck is he? Welcome to the basement of the Pac....
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

Chicat wrote:
Ehhhhhhhhhhhhh......

As a former participant and very long fan of college football, I have felt this way for a long time. As entertaining as it still is for me, college football is a waste of resources.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Pop McKale wrote:
btfd16 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:Im not in love with the hire, but fuck the players.
They're free to go elsewhere. Some already have before Coach Ken was even in the wind as a possible hire. No one's telling them they can't have an opinion, either.
Some people are.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

UofAlum05 wrote:Lots of people who don't know jack shit are seeing a few people pissed and have decided to join the bandwagon. I can promise 90% of the people upset haven't watched a Navy football game nor understand that the Triple Option is not what he will run here.

I've watched Navy a lot because I follow AAC football. They are so well coached it is disgusting. They do all the right things, the play calling, situational awareness, and decision making is absolutely elite. And no it isn't because they run the Triple Option or a disciplined service academy. They are just crazy well coached team.

I wanted Sumlin but it appears he wasn't convinced he could win here despite us coming up with the money. Arizona isn't a desirable job, just face it. Would you want to coach at a place that has no money and half empty stadiums in the second half? Go to games around the country. Arizona football just sucks compared to other stadiums and places you walk into.

I strongly believe the Ken N is by far the best that we could have done.
The rest of your take is highly debatable, but the part in bold is flat out nonsense.

The way they play has a LOT to do with them being a service academy... and that is 100% a statement of respect and not criticism.

But if you want to attribute of hard, smart, disciplined play of military cadets 100% to the coach, be my guest.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Alieberman wrote:
Chicat wrote:
Ehhhhhhhhhhhhh......

I'm not saying not to have hope... I'm just trying to live in reality.

Mike Stoops... the hottest young Coordinator..... Rose Bowl here we come!!!

Rich Rod... how did we land him? A Homerun hire!!!!!

Ken Nuimatalolo... Who the fuck is he? Welcome to the basement of the Pac....
“Look kid, I’m not telling you that you’re ugly. I’m just saying the chances of you marrying a supermodel are really low unless she’s blind, and that you should probably only leave the house with a paper bag on your head. But look, I’m not saying don’t have hope....”

:lol:
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

Harvey Specter wrote:
UofAlum05 wrote:Lots of people who don't know jack shit are seeing a few people pissed and have decided to join the bandwagon. I can promise 90% of the people upset haven't watched a Navy football game nor understand that the Triple Option is not what he will run here.

I've watched Navy a lot because I follow AAC football. They are so well coached it is disgusting. They do all the right things, the play calling, situational awareness, and decision making is absolutely elite. And no it isn't because they run the Triple Option or a disciplined service academy. They are just crazy well coached team.

I wanted Sumlin but it appears he wasn't convinced he could win here despite us coming up with the money. Arizona isn't a desirable job, just face it. Would you want to coach at a place that has no money and half empty stadiums in the second half? Go to games around the country. Arizona football just sucks compared to other stadiums and places you walk into.

I strongly believe the Ken N is by far the best that we could have done.
The rest of your take is highly debatable, but the part in bold is flat out nonsense.

The way they play has a LOT to do with them being a service academy... and that is 100% a statement of respect and not criticism.

But if you want to attribute of hard, smart, disciplined play of military cadets 100% to the coach, be my guest.
Serious question: what is it about being a service academy that demands it run a triple option offense in order to succeed?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

I hate the defeatist attitude of so many fans on here. Assuming we'll always be the same program no matter who we hire is bullshit. If we actually invested as a program into improving, we would. Kansas State, Wisconsin, Florida State, Miami... all were mediocre to awful programs before they got the right coach.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.