Coach Sumlin

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Scummy Dick Douglas

Re: Coach Sumlin

Post by Scummy Dick Douglas »

When considering all the ASU Sumlin talk, its important to remember there is history between the two. ASU made a strong push for Sumlin in 2011. Sumlin strung ASU along and leveraged the ASU offer to get the A&M job. Michael Crow did not forget that. So while Ray Anderson was always going to hire Herm, the chances are slim that Crow would ever agree to Sumlin anyways.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

The Vikings victory celebration last night was analogous to my feelings on hiring Coach Sumlin. Looked good early, lost hope and started talking myself into other options, and then at the last second - Victory!
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

ANGCatFan wrote:The Vikings victory celebration last night was analogous to my feelings on hiring Coach Sumlin. Looked good early, lost hope and started talking myself into other options, and then at the last second - Victory!
Did Cayleb Jones come out of nowhere to give you a big hug after the Sumlin hire was announced?
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

UofAlum05 wrote:
ANGCatFan wrote:The Vikings victory celebration last night was analogous to my feelings on hiring Coach Sumlin. Looked good early, lost hope and started talking myself into other options, and then at the last second - Victory!
Did Cayleb Jones come out of nowhere to give you a big hug after the Sumlin hire was announced?
I love the look he gave toward the clock to make sure there was no time left lol
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Scummy Dick Douglas wrote:When considering all the ASU Sumlin talk, its important to remember there is history between the two. ASU made a strong push for Sumlin in 2011. Sumlin strung ASU along and leveraged the ASU offer to get the A&M job. Michael Crow did not forget that. So while Ray Anderson was always going to hire Herm, the chances are slim that Crow would ever agree to Sumlin anyways.
If Crow is really motivated more by personal things like how Norvell left or that Sumlin leveraged ASU, they deserve what they get.

"It's not personal. It's strictly business."
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Scummy Dick Douglas wrote:When considering all the ASU Sumlin talk, its important to remember there is history between the two. ASU made a strong push for Sumlin in 2011. Sumlin strung ASU along and leveraged the ASU offer to get the A&M job. Michael Crow did not forget that. So while Ray Anderson was always going to hire Herm, the chances are slim that Crow would ever agree to Sumlin anyways.
If Crow is really motivated more by personal things like how Norvell left or that Sumlin leveraged ASU, they deserve what they get.

Rumor I heard is that Norvell has some major skeletons in his closet and is the reason you haven't heard his name come up for any of the job openings.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

shoulda mentioned/shown Tate as well imo.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

UALoco

Post by UALoco »

I'm excited. I am hopeful. It looks like a great hire. Let's see the press conference, can't do worse than Herm, but can he connect with community. Let's see how we close out the recruiting season, player reactions and the KJJ get are very positive indicators. Let's see if our Spring Game is hype, this should be the first indication of what we might see attendance-wise and what the buzz might be with the average Tucson/Arizona football fan. I've seen an number of folks say, "I might get season tickets now." The proof is in the pudding though. ..
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Crow is petty, see how he deals with GCU for an example.
Scummy Dick Douglas

Post by Scummy Dick Douglas »

UofAlum05 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Rumor I heard is that Norvell has some major skeletons in his closet and is the reason you haven't heard his name come up for any of the job openings.
This^.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

Nebraska already had been talking about getting Khalil as a transfer with the Ken N news lol
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

We'll see how Sumlin bumps ticket sales, but add this into the mix - U of A has dropped ticket prices in the lower priced areas. The old $99 adult $50 kid in the upper deck corners is now $70/$35. The EC seating (SEZ, parts of the upper deck, etc) went from $150 to $100. The lower halves of 204-206 went from $310 to $235. The lower SEZ seats with the chairbacks went fro $235 to $200. Looks like Heeke paid attention to the complaints about ticket prices.
apenland01

Post by apenland01 »

azpenguin wrote:We'll see how Sumlin bumps ticket sales, but add this into the mix - U of A has dropped ticket prices in the lower priced areas. The old $99 adult $50 kid in the upper deck corners is now $70/$35. The EC seating (SEZ, parts of the upper deck, etc) went from $150 to $100. The lower halves of 204-206 went from $310 to $235. The lower SEZ seats with the chairbacks went fro $235 to $200. Looks like Heeke paid attention to the complaints about ticket prices.
I just checked this and you are right! I'm stoked about the price decrease and I hope the fans respond. I'm in section 201 and I think the seats are great for the money. However, I would prefer to spend $99 to help fund a bathroom renovation because they are horrible in this section.
prh

Post by prh »

azpenguin wrote:We'll see how Sumlin bumps ticket sales, but add this into the mix - U of A has dropped ticket prices in the lower priced areas. The old $99 adult $50 kid in the upper deck corners is now $70/$35. The EC seating (SEZ, parts of the upper deck, etc) went from $150 to $100. The lower halves of 204-206 went from $310 to $235. The lower SEZ seats with the chairbacks went fro $235 to $200. Looks like Heeke paid attention to the complaints about ticket prices.
That's very telling that they dropped prices all around. With things like this (and especially considering those numbers), pricing elasticity would likely say that the higher price is best from a revenue standpoint (33% price drop would require 1.5x attendance bump to match, and may not be feasible with the attendance numbers from last).

So these drops signal a change that isn't money related. Maybe it's branching back to the community. Maybe it's hoping to take a loss to add long term customers (good timing). Maybe it's just wanting a full stadium. Whatever it is, I like it. I think it's great to see more strategic thinking, outside of standard bean counting.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

An exciting new coach, lower prices and a better home schedule along with having Tate next year should have a nice attendance boost.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

ASUHATER! wrote:An exciting new coach, lower prices and a better home schedule along with having Tate next year should have a nice attendance boost.
God I hope they don't lose to BYU and set the excitement back 2 years.
prh

Post by prh »

UofAlum05 wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:An exciting new coach, lower prices and a better home schedule along with having Tate next year should have a nice attendance boost.
BYU was downright awful this year. I would expect us to be a decent sized favorite in that game.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

UofAlum05 wrote:
The excitement lasts until the first disappointing loss. Then comes reality. Whether we improved our reality once the honeymoon wears off is the test.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

2018 is all about improving recruiting and just installing schemes and culture. Outside of a like 3-9 season the w/l record doesn't matter to me for this season (outside of beating ASU)

baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

prh wrote:
That's very telling that they dropped prices all around. With things like this (and especially considering those numbers), pricing elasticity would likely say that the higher price is best from a revenue standpoint (33% price drop would require 1.5x attendance bump to match, and may not be feasible with the attendance numbers from last).

So these drops signal a change that isn't money related. Maybe it's branching back to the community. Maybe it's hoping to take a loss to add long term customers (good timing). Maybe it's just wanting a full stadium. Whatever it is, I like it. I think it's great to see more strategic thinking, outside of standard bean counting.
There is more revenue to gameday than just ticket sales. most notably I would imagine in advertising. full stadiums and community buzz and support likely means a broader mix of willing advertisers who will pay more to reach their clientele. This obviously takes time, but I agree that it is nice to see strategic thinking in the AD.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

apenland01 wrote:
I just checked this and you are right! I'm stoked about the price decrease and I hope the fans respond. I'm in section 201 and I think the seats are great for the money. However, I would prefer to spend $99 to help fund a bathroom renovation because they are horrible in this section.
I'm in 201 as well (I may move to another section now, or get another ticket.) The bathrooms there are not horrible. They may not be ideal... but go to the west side and you'll take those bathrooms on the upper east concourse any day of the week.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ASUHATER! wrote:2018 is all about improving recruiting and just installing schemes and culture. Outside of a like 3-9 season the w/l record doesn't matter to me for this season (outside of beating ASU)
Didn't you say RR needed at least 8-9 wins to keep his job in 2018?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:2018 is all about improving recruiting and just installing schemes and culture. Outside of a like 3-9 season the w/l record doesn't matter to me for this season (outside of beating ASU)
Yes. So? What in the world does year 7 under RR have to do with year 1 under a new coach?

UALoco

Post by UALoco »

Should have 9 wins or more.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

UALoco wrote:
Should easily start 4-0 barring injury. 9+ I will be ecstatic. 8 I will expect. 6-7, I will be disappointed, but it's still year one. 5 or less with a healthy Khalil all season would be yikes.
jimson

Post by jimson »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
If the new coach is supposed to be an upgrade, he better at least match expectations of the old one.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

btfd16 wrote:
UALoco wrote:
Should easily start 4-0 barring injury. 9+ I will be ecstatic. 8 I will expect. 6-7, I will be disappointed, but it's still year one. 5 or less with a healthy Khalil all season would be yikes.
Anything more than 8 wins is a tall order for this roster. No matter who is the coach. Anything more than 8-4 would be grounds for an immediate raise and extension for Sumlin and early talks for a statue being built. That's how empty the cupboard is from RR.

PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

ASUHATER! wrote:
btfd16 wrote:
UALoco wrote:
Anything more than 8 wins is a tall order for this roster. No matter who is the coach. Anything more than 8-4 would be grounds for an immediate raise and extension for Sumlin and early talks for a statue being built. That's how empty the cupboard is from RR.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

PHXCATS wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
btfd16 wrote:
UALoco wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
What is so funny? Did we suddenly sign a bunch of 4 star recruits that can play immediately? Get some Alabama transfers? Outside of QB and maybe 5 other players in the roster, were a mid level conference USA team talent wise. Saying we'll win 10 games year 1 is beyond stupid, even for you.

PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

with all things being equal in terms of injuries UA would have been favored in 9 games next year with RR.

Now we get a better coach and we already have more momentum in recruiting and did bring in a 4 star with Keyshawn Johnson Jr.

Stop hating on RR, he is gone.
jimson

Post by jimson »

ASUHATER! wrote: Anything more than 8 wins is a tall order for this roster. No matter who is the coach. Anything more than 8-4 would be grounds for an immediate raise and extension for Sumlin and early talks for a statue being built. That's how empty the cupboard is from RR.

You are in a strong minority who thinks the cupboard is bare, but that from you is expected. No less than a division championship will get me aboard the Sumlin train.
Last edited by jimson on Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ASUHATER! wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Yes. So? What in the world does year 7 under RR have to do with year 1 under a new coach?
I think it's silly to go from expecting 8 or 9 for RR to saying wins and losses don't matter for Sumlin and that this year is just about building culture.

If you had baseline expectations for RR with this personnel, there should be expectations for Sumlin with this personnel too. They may be influenced by factors, i.e., not necessarily his type of players. Balance that with an expectation he's a better coach and where does that lead?

I don't get having hard numerical expectations for RR then going to throwing numbers out the window for Sumlin.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
I think it's silly to go from expecting 8 or 9 for RR to saying wins and losses don't matter for Sumlin and that this year is just about building culture.

If you had baseline expectations for RR with this personnel, there should be expectations for Sumlin with this personnel too. They may be influenced by factors, i.e., not necessarily his type of players. Balance that with an expectation he's a better coach and where does that lead?

I don't get having hard numerical expectations for RR then going to throwing numbers out the window for Sumlin.
Year 1 rebuilding vs year 7. That's all there is to it. It's not hard to understand.

PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

:lol:

The scheme isnt changing. Yates is staying. Mazzone will run a similar but smarter offense.

Stop letting your RR hate blind you
ASUHATER! wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Year 1 rebuilding vs year 7. That's all there is to it. It's not hard to understand.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ASUHATER! wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Same players, same schedule. It isn't hard to understand that part either.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

PHXCATS wrote::lol:

The scheme isnt changing. Yates is staying. Mazzone will run a similar but smarter offense.

Stop letting your RR hate blind you

[2018 is all about improving recruiting and just installing schemes and culture. Outside of a like 3-9 season the w/l record doesn't matter to me for this season (outside of beating ASU)

I don't get having hard numerical expectations for RR then going to throwing numbers out the window for Sumlin.[/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote]

Proof?

Without Tate, next year this team is a 4 win team. Period. The talent level and depth are that bad. Tate is worth a couple but expecting anything more than just a basic bowl before Sumlin gets actual talent into the program is just blind homer idiocy

ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

2018 is all about improving recruiting and just installing schemes and culture. Outside of a like 3-9 season the w/l record doesn't matter to me for this season (outside of beating ASU)[/quote]

Didn't you say RR needed at least 8-9 wins to keep his job in 2018?[/quote]
Yes. So? What in the world does year 7 under RR have to do with year 1 under a new coach?[/quote]

I don't get having hard numerical expectations for RR then going to throwing numbers out the window for Sumlin.[/quote]
Year 1 rebuilding vs year 7. That's all there is to it. It's not hard to understand.[/quote]

Same players, same schedule. It isn't hard to understand that part either.[/quote]
RR had to win 8 or 9 in the 2018 regular season to keep his job, but we all know the team isn't that good, so he was going to be fired anyways. This is not as difficult as you're trying to make it seem. We are a 4 win team quality wise that was gifted Tate. That's what we have going into 2018. Anything more than 8-4 will be an insane success.

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ASUHATER! wrote:
btfd16 wrote:
UALoco wrote:
So you're basically admitting your expectations on RR needing 8 or 9 wins to be retained were designed for him to fail?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
btfd16 wrote:
UALoco wrote:
So you're basically admitting your expectations on RR needing 8 or 9 wins to be retained were designed for him to fail?
Well yeah...but I don't get how that logic works since I have no say in if he would get fired or not. In my view as 1 individual fan, he needed that many wins to keep his job. But I knew that that would be impossible with the roster with have, especially under his "leadership".

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ASUHATER! wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
btfd16 wrote:
UALoco wrote: Should have 9 wins or more.
Well yeah...but I don't get how that logic works since I have no say in if he would get fired or not. In my view as 1 individual fan, he needed that many wins to keep his job. But I knew that that would be impossible with the roster with have, especially under his "leadership".
I think you're right that our opinions don't matter. That also makes me think it's odd that you set expectations for RR that you thought were impossible to achieve. Why not just say you don't like him and think he should be fired regardless?
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

PHXCATS wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
btfd16 wrote:
UALoco wrote:

Response of the year. Made me do a spit take. :D
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

Better coach, better assistants, maturing players, better scheme, limited team member loss, maybe some better new players, better attendance, more favorable schedule..this team should have 9 regular season wins or more if all the complaints about RR are true. Put up or shut up time.
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

There is only one fear I have. Say what you will about Rich Rod but he did smoke/mirror limited talent into wins. This past year's team would have only won 3-4 games tops if Dawkins isn't injured at Colorado. I'm not entirely sold that this team has talent returning. I thought our WR's were extremely weak and we have to build a new O-line next season.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

UALoco wrote:Better coach, better assistants, maturing players, better scheme, limited team member loss, maybe some better new players, better attendance, more favorable schedule..this team should have 9 regular season wins or more if all the complaints about RR are true. Put up or shut up time.
I still think we'll be pretty thin on the depth chart though.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

UofAlum05 wrote:There is only one fear I have. Say what you will about Rich Rod but he did smoke/mirror limited talent into wins. This past year's team would have only won 3-4 games tops if Dawkins isn't injured at Colorado. I'm not entirely sold that this team has talent returning. I thought our WR's were extremely weak and we have to build a new O-line next season.
Wins against mid-major opponents and losses against conference teams. Let’s not overstate RichRod’s accomplishments.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

Will be interesting to get Sumlin's take on the talent when they start Spring practice. I am a little bit hopeful, since there were so many Freshmen starters last year who will be more experienced.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

BBQ wildcat wrote:Will be interesting to get Sumlin's take on the talent when they start Spring practice. I am a little bit hopeful, since there were so many Freshmen starters last year who will be more experienced.
I can't remember when it was but there was one year when Stanford played a lot of young guys on defense and they were't very good. The next year they were near the top of the league.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

azgreg wrote:
BBQ wildcat wrote:Will be interesting to get Sumlin's take on the talent when they start Spring practice. I am a little bit hopeful, since there were so many Freshmen starters last year who will be more experienced.
I can't remember when it was but there was one year when Stanford played a lot of young guys on defense and they were't very good. The next year they were near the top of the league.

That is pretty much a description of how Desert Swarm formed initially. Lots of injuries and young guys playing early.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

UAEebs86 wrote:
azgreg wrote:

That is pretty much a description of how Desert Swarm formed initially. Lots of injuries and young guys playing early.
I've decided I'm going to be optimistic about all this until there's enough to tell me not to be.
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

azgreg wrote:

Just look at Desert Swarm. Those guys were starting as Frenshmen too and they weren't very good.