Coach Sumlin

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

jimson

Re: Coach Sumlin

Post by jimson »

btfd16 wrote: Technically, I am a letter winner and have a UofA letterman jack that I was sized for and given.... Can I come around whenever? :D
I dunno, he said football letter winners.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

jimson wrote:
btfd16 wrote: Technically, I am a letter winner and have a UofA letterman jack that I was sized for and given.... Can I come around whenever? :D
It says football!!...........manager......... lol
jimson

Post by jimson »

btfd16 wrote:
jimson wrote:
It says football!!...........manager......... lol
You're good to go then.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

btfd16 wrote:
BearDown89 wrote:
jimson wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
I come back to winning. We win enough, the support will come. When Stoops was close to the Pac crown, the interest was there. Then the fans prematurely rushed the field vs Oregon.

That's what I'm hoping for with Sumlin. Consistently competing for the Pac, even if not every year, would be a good marker.
Of course winning is most important but the coach engaging the community and courting the fans builds good will and that helps.
I may be wrong, but I don't recall RR doing much of that.
One of the more astonishing things to come out of RR's demise to me is that he excluded and did not court past Wildcats. I mean, who the f does he think he is.

I really like this then. Coach Sumlin putting things back on track.
Technically, I am a letter winner and have a UofA letterman jack that I was sized for and given.... Can I come around whenever? :D
Strangely, I am one.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
TX AGGIE

Post by TX AGGIE »

For all you Twitter guys out there, you need to follow @Jive Kevin Sumin, his tweets are hilarious!
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

TX AGGIE wrote:For all you Twitter guys out there, you need to follow @Jive Kevin Sumin, his tweets are hilarious!
Truth!

TX AGGIE

Post by TX AGGIE »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

A&M practice with Coach Sumlin on a mic. I like the change!

NYCat

Post by NYCat »

btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

NYCat wrote:
A lot of concerns were him pulling a Taggert and leaving first year or two. For that kind of money, even if he did leave, we'd probably be winning and get a nice salary start for the next coach. That number alleviates basically all of my concerns.
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

I like those short term buyout numbers.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

UAEebs86 wrote:
My exact thought when I first came to Tucson.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Typical hilarious post this week on the scum board:
I grew up in an a&m family and follow the program. His teams are undisciplined, he’s lazy on the recruiting trail and he can’t develop a QB. You can’t compare recruiting at A&M to recruiting to tucson...for crying out loud the rats don’t even have an indoor football facility. You will never see a more undisciplined, soft team than a Kevin Sumlin led squad. He is a great bullshitter and that’s pretty much it. I cannot for the life of me figure out why people think he’s a good coach and I was relieved that ASU didn’t hire him. Don’t buy into this Sumlin hype, he won’t be half the recruiter without A&M’s resources. He beat up on scrub OOC teams and blew it in the conference play, watch the UCLA/A&M game and look how badly he manages a game. Him and Noel mazzone are a terrible combo.
Scummy Dick Douglas

Post by Scummy Dick Douglas »

scumdevils86 wrote:Typical hilarious post this week on the scum board:
I grew up in an a&m family and follow the program. His teams are undisciplined, he’s lazy on the recruiting trail and he can’t develop a QB. You can’t compare recruiting at A&M to recruiting to tucson...for crying out loud the rats don’t even have an indoor football facility. You will never see a more undisciplined, soft team than a Kevin Sumlin led squad. He is a great bullshitter and that’s pretty much it. I cannot for the life of me figure out why people think he’s a good coach and I was relieved that ASU didn’t hire him. Don’t buy into this Sumlin hype, he won’t be half the recruiter without A&M’s resources. He beat up on scrub OOC teams and blew it in the conference play, watch the UCLA/A&M game and look how badly he manages a game. Him and Noel mazzone are a terrible combo.
He’s not wrong.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Scummy Dick Douglas wrote:
He’s not wrong.
He's certainly not right either.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

He’s not wrong.
Lol. I posted one of the least ridiculous things I found.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

He’s not wrong.
Stupid people generally agree with each other. Happens on this board all the time, and your fanbase has a LOT more of them.

Why aren't you paying attention to basketball instead? Oh, that's right.... because since conference play started, your team has gone down more than an ASU cheerleader on Spring Break.

I never felt compelled to post on ASU boards with news of the Herm hire. Not sure why you think anyone hear could give 2 shits about your opinion.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

NYCat wrote:
FINALLY we have an AD who knows how to negotiate a contract.

I did not love Byrne (I did not hate him either) but his ASU was on full display when he accelerated RR's realization of the retention bonus AND dramatically reduced his (already weak) buyout #'s.

Tireless worker, great networker, good fundraiser. Dog shit at managing through crisis and negotiation skills.
TX AGGIE

Post by TX AGGIE »

He’s not wrong.
That game was a tough pill for us to swallow, but if you go back and actually watch the game you'll see some pretty interesting things. Especially that last TD which was never reviewed. Now, I'm not here to say there weren't any mistakes on out end, there certainly were but lets look at the situation. Your starting QB goes down and now you are forced to play a True Fish, there was a plan in place to get him some reps but that was about it. Once UCLA saw that he couldn't pass, that was the game, the loaded the box and took the run away. Now, here is the straw that broke the Camels back! On his 3rd series, our offense was moving the ball, if you take away the incomplete passes in the series and just hick the ball with 3 seconds remaining, then UCLA runs out of time and they never get the last possession, much less even have time to try and onside kick. This was the biggest debacle of the game outside of some of the other miss cues.

I know Sumlin and Mazzone learned their lesson there and nothing like that will ever happen at Zona!

just a few thoughts.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

NYCat wrote:
I wonder if his Sumlin becoming Arizona's HC "source" was the press conference we held saying he was the HC.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

UAEebs86 wrote:No more adidas Coach

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/AkOh/adidas-cre ... rco-murray
It would appear that he feels like that’s a good thing....
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

Nothing we don't already know but... #SecureTheBag Coach... Sheesh.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

One more time, then let's drop this joke.

btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

Little bit of both threads, but I posted a lot in the other lately.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Love it perfect answers.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Hanging out with the zona zoo last night was a good move
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

Alieberman wrote:Hanging out with the zona zoo last night was a good move
Full speech for those who didn't see it.
jimson

Post by jimson »

Alieberman wrote:Hanging out with the zona zoo last night was a good move
RR did that too, but he is making a lot of good moves. I've gotten emails and recorded phone calls with him pitching tickets.

Heeke really has him front and center in the biggest marketing campaign Iv'e ever seen for football.
prh

Post by prh »

Every single time he has said about needing the fans and atmosphere at football games, he has explicitly said that it's on them to make it worthwhile for us. Subtle nuance in attitude but I think it is huge. He sees this entire endeavor as complete teamwork, with both the program and the fans holding up their end of the deal, but it starts with him and the team.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

prh wrote:Every single time he has said about needing the fans and atmosphere at football games, he has explicitly said that it's on them to make it worthwhile for us. Subtle nuance in attitude but I think it is huge. He sees this entire endeavor as complete teamwork, with both the program and the fans holding up their end of the deal, but it starts with him and the team.
I take it as he needs the fans to show up right away and it is on him and the team to make them wanting to come back.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
jimson

Post by jimson »

With his PR, Tate, lower ticket prices, I think he has a good chance in getting more fans in there.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

When does the Tate for Heisman PR campaign roll out?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

SCCats

Post by SCCats »

azgreg wrote:
Smart
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Thats the behavior of a man who gives a damn.

Nice, to have a guy not just cashing a check as coach.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

I love this man as our head football coach. Even if it doesn't ultimately result in the wins we expect, this is so exciting.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

btfd16 wrote:I love this man as our head football coach. Even if it doesn't ultimately result in the wins we expect, this is so exciting.
+1

Love this guy... pinch myself every day.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

azgreg wrote:
This guy is great
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

So far he's saying/doing all the right things.
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

Chicat wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote:No more adidas Coach

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/AkOh/adidas-cre ... rco-murray
It would appear that he feels like that’s a good thing....
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Ok, my first criticism of Coach is this:

he needs to learn his star qb's last name. :lol:
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

ProfessorFate

Post by ProfessorFate »

PieceOfMeat wrote:Ok, my first criticism of Coach is this:

If you are talking about his interview during the basketball game, at first i thought he said, "Khalil Mack". So i rewinded and watched it a couple of times, and i'm pretty sure he said, "Khalil back", as in we have Khalil back next year. He said "back" two or three times in the same response, which might have been nerves, but i'm pretty sure he said "back".
2023 Football RAP Champion
2022 Mark Schlabach Memorial Bracket Champion
2017 Bear Down Wildcats Survival Pool Champion
prh

Post by prh »

I thought I heard Mack too, thanks professor for clearing that up. FWIW I'd be down if we got Khalil Mack, although I think he's out of eligibility.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

ProfessorFate wrote:

If you are talking about his interview during the basketball game, at first i thought he said, "Khalil Mack". So i rewinded and watched it a couple of times, and i'm pretty sure he said, "Khalil back", as in we have Khalil back next year. He said "back" two or three times in the same response, which might have been nerves, but i'm pretty sure he said "back".
I asked about this in the game thread, as I was hoping I simply misheard him (i was hoping he said back again) but everyone else heard Mack as well :lol:

It was pretty funny
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Scummy Dick Douglas

Post by Scummy Dick Douglas »

PieceOfMeat wrote:
ProfessorFate wrote:

I asked about this in the game thread, as I was hoping I simply misheard him (i was hoping he said back again) but everyone else heard Mack as well :lol:

It was pretty funny
He literally says "we got a great a leader coming back, in quarterback, in Kalil Mack.."

Watch his lips. Pretty clear. Not a big deal though. It could always be worse. You could have a coach who doesn't know the school mascot and wears ESPN gear on recruiting trips.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I think he says, "We got a great a leader coming back, in at quarterback, got Khalil back...."

Besides, which is more believable? That he says what I transcribed? Or that he doesn't know Khalil Tate's name?