Assistant Coaches

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

PHXCATS

Re: Assistant Coaches

Post by PHXCATS »

Merkin wrote:Cecil and Hunley would have won the meets and greets with the older alum and long time fans. It's all about bringing the fans back.

Is there really that much difference between long time position coaches as long as they are willing to recruit? Not like they were going to be DCs.
It would make sense if Arizona badly needed money to sacrifice the on field product to raise money. Dont get me wrong, Arizona needs more money, but it isnt to the point where it is worth sacrificing the on field product for it.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

scumdevils86 wrote:get the best person for the job. i don't care if they are an alum. doesn't move the needle for me whatsoever. need to get younger people in their 20s and 30s and 40s interested in coming to the games. the ones with younger kids. the old people will show up no matter what and the students will show up if we are winning and their cell phones work in the stadium and sell beer. people my age need to see the best results possible to buy tickets. we don't buy tickets based on ooohing and ahhhing at someone who played here 20-30-40 years ago.
I added a little something.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

yep you're right.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

scumdevils86 wrote:get the best person for the job. i don't care if they are an alum. doesn't move the needle for me whatsoever. need to get younger people in their 20s and 30s and 40s interested in coming to the games. the ones with younger kids. the old people will show up no matter what and the students will show up if we are winning and their cell phones work in the stadium. people my age need to see the best results possible to buy tickets. we don't buy tickets based on ooohing and ahhhing at someone who played here 20-30-40 years ago.
I'm one of those you consider old and as I've said those player alums are in my wheelhouse, but I agree with you 100%. Young energetic up and comers who can relate to the kids, not past-their-prime legacies who've not accomplished much in all these years as coaches. Bringing them around to create spirit, tradition and be legacies who preach Bear Down pride would be a more effective use of their presence.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

and i'm definitely not saying don't welcome older alums with open arms to talk to the kids and be around the program etc. just dont hire them solely based on pleasing other people.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

We might possibly hire Joe Salave'a, but why does only Cecil & Hunley satisfy the old farts who are clamoring for alumni on staff?
jimson

Post by jimson »

PHXCATS wrote:
jimson wrote:
btfd16 wrote: Some of you are going to be upset. Just get the best man for the job. Period. As long as Sumlin keeps alum involved and engaged that's good for me. Hell maybe an analyst role like Glenn Parker had and all those former coaches under Saban.
Bummer. Cecil and Hunley would have gotten me "all in"

Probably no season tix for me this year.
Sumlin is asking for your help. Why do you want an alumni so bad? It is clear they are not the best person for the job so why would you want them on the staff so bad that your purchase decision depends on it?
I wasn't really planning on tickets this year but Cecil and Hunley might have prompted me to see if I could work it into the budget.

With them, you get UA legends who have a real, deep hearted passion for the football program, are qualified coaches and win the meet and greets. My feeling is that that is a way to build this history and tradition that we supposedly don't have. I definitely wouldn't consider it a sacrifice of on the field coaching. I truly don't think anyone would work harder or be better than them.

Hunley's words here resonate with me:

“We ate at Houston’s; Chuck brought his family,” said Hunley. “As you can imagine, we talked about Wildcat football. That’s what we always talk about. Today, Chuck and I were in agreement — both of us need to be back at Arizona. We both want to be there.”

“The football job at Arizona has been lacking people who have passion for the school and the program,” Hunley said. “For whatever reason, any kind of UA connection seemed to be avoided. It’s time to go back like a lot of other schools and take care of your own and be proud of what you’ve built.”
Last edited by jimson on Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

jimson wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
jimson wrote:
btfd16 wrote: Some of you are going to be upset. Just get the best man for the job. Period. As long as Sumlin keeps alum involved and engaged that's good for me. Hell maybe an analyst role like Glenn Parker had and all those former coaches under Saban.

Sumlin is asking for your help. Why do you want an alumni so bad? It is clear they are not the best person for the job so why would you want them on the staff so bad that your purchase decision depends on it?
I wasn't really planning on tickets this year but Cecil and Hunley might have prompted me to see if I could work it into the budget.

With them, you get UA legends who have a real, deep hearted passion for the football program, are qualified coaches and win the meet and greets. My feeling is that that is a way to build this history and tradition that we supposedly don't have. I definitely wouldn't consider it a sacrifice of on the field coaching. I truly don't think anyone would work harder or be better than them.
Playing devil's advocate a little, what makes you think they are qualified and no one would be better? Cecil has never coached in college football. Never recruited. Hunley has coached for two seasons in college since 2001 and that was as a DL coach at Memphis 14-15. Why would we hire him over Salavea? I agree that they would work hard, but also think any coach would work hard. Plus Sumlin's previous connects have proven draft picks and All-Americans. I wouldn't mind having them by any means, but I don't get the argument they would be better.
jimson

Post by jimson »

btfd16 wrote:
jimson wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
jimson wrote:

Playing devil's advocate a little, what makes you think they are qualified and no one would be better? Cecil has never coached in college football. Never recruited. Hunley has coached for two seasons in college since 2001 and that was as a DL coach at Memphis 14-15. Why would we hire him over Salavea? I agree that they would work hard, but also think any coach would work hard. Plus Sumlin's previous connects have proven draft picks and All-Americans. I wouldn't mind having them by any means, but I don't get the argument they would be better.
For me, I think having your heart all in makes all the difference. I just think they would be immensely valuable somewhere on staff.

Their background in the NFL would also help attract players with those aspirations IMO.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Sounds to be like a classic my feelings mean more to me than logic does take.
jimson

Post by jimson »

BearDown89 wrote:
scumdevils86 wrote:get the best person for the job. i don't care if they are an alum. doesn't move the needle for me whatsoever. need to get younger people in their 20s and 30s and 40s interested in coming to the games.
Yeah great idea, since most of them have left town because they can't make a decent living here.

Let's see your marketing campaign for those living paycheck to paycheck.
jimson

Post by jimson »

ChooChooCat wrote:Sounds to be like a classic my feelings mean more to me than logic does take.
We need a coaching staff. We have alumni coaches who want to be here, are legends and would be fantastic ambassadors for the program.
Logic says don't give them a shot? Hmmmm OK
Last edited by jimson on Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
prh

Post by prh »

Would anyone take Damon Stoudamire coaching basketball over Sean Miller? Just curious
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

jimson wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:Sounds to be like a classic my feelings mean more to me than logic does take.
We need a coaching staff. We have alumni coaches who want to be here, are legends and would be fantastic ambassadors for the program.
Logic says don't give them a shot? Hmmmm OK
no. because if you were born after 1975 you probably don't care all that much about the "legends". you care about things that are relevant to the success of a bunch of kids born after the year 2000 coming here to play ball in 2018 and beyond. that's what will build the program.
jimson

Post by jimson »

prh wrote:Would anyone take Damon Stoudamire coaching basketball over Sean Miller? Just curious
No, would they consider him if Miller leaves or get's fired?

Anyone wanna bet that Hurley isn't coaching Duke in the next 10 years?
prh

Post by prh »

jimson wrote:
prh wrote:Would anyone take Damon Stoudamire coaching basketball over Sean Miller? Just curious
Zero chance
jimson wrote: Anyone wanna bet that Hurley isn't coaching Duke in the next 10 years?
He's at least 3rd in line behind Woj and Capel
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

jimson wrote:

Anyone wanna bet that Hurley isn't coaching Duke in the next 10 years?
Yes I will take that bet. Hurley ain't getting the job after coach K hangs it up.

Jim answer this for me. Would any other power 5 schools hire Cecil or Hundley? If the answer is yes, great move to hire them. If not, it isn't smart to do. Judging as they don't have other power 5 offers I think the answer is a clear no
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

Well, silly fucking me. I keep coming back to read about our incoming assistant coaches. But all I see is a bunch of "experts" arguing about people who AREN'T going to be our assistant coaches and why they should be or shouldn't be. I guess I shoulda known. :?
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

how dare people get into debates and give their takes
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

my god i actually agree with machina for once.
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

Hey, I'm all for that, but maybe in a thread about "What Should Have been". To me, it is stupid to fill a thread with arguments about who wasn't hired or retained. If they weren't retained, if they weren't hired, just say "too bad, would have like to have them" and move on.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

scumdevils86 wrote:my god i actually agree with machina for once.
Deep breaths . . .
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

jimson wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
jimson wrote:

Hunley's words here resonate with me:

“We ate at Houston’s; Chuck brought his family,” said Hunley. “As you can imagine, we talked about Wildcat football. That’s what we always talk about. Today, Chuck and I were in agreement — both of us need to be back at Arizona. We both want to be there.”

“The football job at Arizona has been lacking people who have passion for the school and the program,” Hunley said. “For whatever reason, any kind of UA connection seemed to be avoided. It’s time to go back like a lot of other schools and take care of your own and be proud of what you’ve built.”
Yes... Alumni always show nothing but passion for their alma mater's program. Like Rich Rod, who shredded all his recruiting documents on his way out of Morgantown, and then also tried to stiff them on the contractual buyout he owed them for leaving early.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

BearDown89 wrote:
scumdevils86 wrote:get the best person for the job. i don't care if they are an alum. doesn't move the needle for me whatsoever. need to get younger people in their 20s and 30s and 40s interested in coming to the games. the ones with younger kids. the old people will show up no matter what and the students will show up if we are winning and their cell phones work in the stadium. people my age need to see the best results possible to buy tickets. we don't buy tickets based on ooohing and ahhhing at someone who played here 20-30-40 years ago.
I'm one of those you consider old and as I've said those player alums are in my wheelhouse, but I agree with you 100%. Young energetic up and comers who can relate to the kids, not past-their-prime legacies who've not accomplished much in all these years as coaches. Bringing them around to create spirit, tradition and be legacies who preach Bear Down pride would be a more effective use of their presence.
I am from BD89's era.... the idea of having Salave'a and Cecil would absolutely fire me up - but I would MUCH prefer that Sumlin pick the best people he thinks he can get for the job. In Kevin I trust.

As for Hunley - NO THANKS. I have heard from more than one reputable source that he's a bit of an asshole, and he made some ridiculous, incendiary comments when he wanted the head coaching job when it was open previously (either Mack or Stoops was hired?).... making some inane suggestions when speculating why he did not get an interview (when it was obvious that he "was not qualified" and "did not deserve to").

If these guys bleed red & blue... how come the only time we see them around the program is when they want a job?
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Harvey Specter wrote:
BearDown89 wrote:
I am from BD89's era.... the idea of having Salave'a and Cecil would absolutely fire me up - but I would MUCH prefer that Sumlin pick the best people he thinks he can get for the job. In Kevin I trust.

As for Hunley - NO THANKS. I have heard from more than one reputable source that he's a bit of an asshole, and he made some ridiculous, incendiary comments when he wanted the head coaching job when it was open previously (either Mack or Stoops was hired?).... making some inane suggestions when speculating why he did not get an interview (when it was obvious that he "was not qualified" and "did not deserve to").

If these guys bleed red & blue... how come the only time we see them around the program is when they want a job?
yep
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

chiefzona wrote:
btfd16 wrote:Just saw your tweet on Singletary Chief. Thank. God.

It's my feeling. I've heard nothing on it. They might even wait until after the class. I hope he's gone.
Son of a bitch. Hope you're right about waiting until after the class.
jimson

Post by jimson »

PHXCATS wrote: Jim answer this for me. Would any other power 5 schools hire Cecil or Hundley? If the answer is yes, great move to hire them. If not, it isn't smart to do. Judging as they don't have other power 5 offers I think the answer is a clear no
Looks like that criteria would DQ Sumlin.

Oh well, if sentiment is off the table, I think I'll have to see the product before buying.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

jimson wrote:
PHXCATS wrote: Jim answer this for me. Would any other power 5 schools hire Cecil or Hundley? If the answer is yes, great move to hire them. If not, it isn't smart to do. Judging as they don't have other power 5 offers I think the answer is a clear no

Oh well, if sentiment is off the table, I think I'll have to see the product before buying.
How would it? Sumlin could get a lot of Power 5 jobs if he wanted them.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

PHXCATS wrote:
jimson wrote:

He apparently thinks that because UCLA & Oregon did not hire him, no P5 school would.

BTW, I know several UO fans who wish they had...
jimson

Post by jimson »

Harvey Specter wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
jimson wrote:

He apparently thinks that because UCLA & Oregon did not hire him, no P5 school would.

How many offers did he have? That seems to be phxcats criteria.
Why does it matter anyway?
From all those who say only now they will get tickets, it seems their support was contingent on Sumlin being hired.
What's the difference between them and others who wanted particular coaches?

Sumlin is nothing to me until he shows he can do better here than the last couple of guys. For all I know he only took the job to ride Tate to a better offer before he even has to deliver a recruiting class.

We shall see.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

jimson wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
jimson wrote:

How many offers did he have? That seems to be phxcats criteria.
Why does it matter anyway?
From all those who say only now they will get tickets, it seems their support was contingent on Sumlin being hired.
What's the difference between them and others who wanted particular coaches?

Sumlin is nothing to me until he shows he can do better here than the last couple of guys. For all I know he only took the job to ride Tate to a better offer before he even has to deliver a recruiting class.

We shall see.
No one knows for sure how anything will turn out, but since you strike me as a "Viva La Free Markets No Matter What" kind of guy...

I think the market has spoken, and it seems the bulls are out in full force because they believe the hire of Sumlin was a good one. Everyone never believes ANYTHING... there are always going to be bears, and you appear to be among them - you are taking the contrarian stance. That's okay.

But in reality, you are saying "I want my buddy to get the job and I am pulling my business if he doesn't". Others like me say "Get the best guys for the job - we want to win. Period."

Using the same analogy... companies governed by the Good Ol' Boy Network do not usually perform so well. Sports teams, either.
lunchpailguy

Post by lunchpailguy »

I get the distinct feeling that some may be confusing sumlin's embrace of alumni and having them around the program with meaning that he will have them on staff.

IMO he will only have them on staff if he feels they are the most qualified and the best fit. Being encouraged and welcomed doesn't mean they should feel non welcimed if that isn't coming with a job offer as well.
jimson

Post by jimson »

Harvey Specter wrote:
No one knows for sure how anything will turn out, but since you strike me as a "Viva La Free Markets No Matter What" kind of guy...

I think the market has spoken, and it seems the bulls are out in full force because they believe the hire of Sumlin was a good one. Everyone never believes ANYTHING... there are always going to be bears, and you appear to be among them - you are taking the contrarian stance. That's okay.

But in reality, you are saying "I want my buddy to get the job and I am pulling my business if he doesn't". Others like me say "Get the best guys for the job - we want to win. Period."

Using the same analogy... companies governed by the Good Ol' Boy Network do not usually perform so well. Sports teams, either.
A few problems with your analogies are that I don't want "my buddy" hired because it would benefit "my buddy" I actually think it would benefit the program.

I'm not pulling my business either, I did that last season for financial reasons.

I'm also not taking a contrary stance. I don't think Sumlin is a bad hire. I just don't yet know if he will do any better here than RR did.
I'm hopeful, but he alone doesn't excite me enough to sacrifice something important for tickets I can't really afford at the present time.

I don't know what comments Hunley was said to have made. No one has ever posted a link or anything, but thank God we dodged the unqualified alumni bullet by hiring John Mackovic.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

Poly pipeline
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Bio.

http://www.mtsacathletics.com/biographi ... i?view=bio" target="_blank
Former Mountie, Iona Uiagalelei (yoo-gah-lei-lee) began his Mt. SAC coaching career with the Mountie Football Program in 2001. In 2006 Uiagalelei took over Defensive Coordinating duties and in 2010, became an Associate Head Coach and full-time professor. He began his coaching career as a Graduate Assistant Coach at his Alma Mater, Southern Utah University.

Uiagalelei has worked with a number of outstanding Defensive Players including Bruce Irvin (West Virginia, Seattle Seahawks, Oakland Raiders), Bojay Filimoeatu (Utah State, Oakland Raiders), Nu’u Tafisi (2nd Team All-American, Cal Berkeley, Seahawks, 49’ers), Rulon Davis (Cal Berkeley) and Bernard Afutiti (All-American, BYU).

Uiagalelei prepped at Ganesha High School where he was an All-Inland Valley and All C.I.F. Player. He attended Mt. SAC (95-96) where he received All- Mission Conference Honors as a Defensive Lineman. Uiagalelei transferred to Southern Utah University and was selected to the DIAA All-American Team.

He received his bachelors degree in Criminal Justice from Southern Utah University and his Masters in Physical Education at New Mexico Highlands.

Uiagalelei resides in Fontana, with his beautiful lovely wife Nerisa (who works in the Mt. SAC Human Resources Department) and his five children, daughters Merosa and Anetero and sons Iona, Tavesi and Leevai.

updated 01/25/17
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

Last edited by btfd16 on Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Finally some news
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

btfd16 wrote: Poly pipeline
Ya think? How about this about a certain h.s. sophomore QB, D.J. Uiagalelei:

D.J. Uiagalelei will be a backup this season but he has a huge arm.

He stands 6-foot-5, weighs 240 pounds, throws the ball at least 80 yards, Alabama and USC are among his 10 college offers and he's only 16-years-old.

D.J. Uiagalelei might be the best and most interesting backup quarterback in the country.

On Wednesday at a quarterback camp in Southern California, the rising St. John Bosco (Bellflower, Calif.) sophomore was shown all over the internet hitting the crossbar with a toss from the 35-yard line — on the other side of the 50.

That took some of the attention from Harrison (Kennesaw, Ga.) senior Justin Fields, who just this week moved up as the No. 1 recruit in the country by 247Sports. At the same camp, Fields was filmed throwing a ball that landed 75 yards away.

"He's a big, massive, athletic kid with a ton of arm strength," said Bosco coach Jason Negro of Uiagalelei. "Better than that, he's a great kid from a great family and a great teammate."

The problem — or advantage — for the big, likeable kid is that he plays behind 5-10, 190-pound Re-al Mitchell, the ultra-speedy and athletic Iowa State commit who last season as a junior led the 13-2 Braves to a California Open Division title and No. 6 national ranking.

Mitchell threw for 2,932 yards and 30 touchdowns and ran for 1,058 and 15 more scores in Bosco's high-octane zone-read attack.

Uiagalelei threw for more than 4,000 yards and 35 touchdowns on the Bosco freshman team last season, including wins over Bishop Gorman (Las Vegas) and Centennial (Corona, Calif.).

"He pretty much dominated frosh games," Negro said.

Those games were on Thursday and he suited up for the Braves on Friday but didn't take any snaps.

He definitely will this season and be a significant contributor, Negro said.

But Mitchell is clearly still the starter.

"Our stance as coaches has always been whoever is in position to help us win will play. Re-al is our guy. He's proven what he can do. But there will definitely be moments for D.J. to play," Negro said.

Uiagalelei comes from a football family. His uncle Iona Uiagalelei is associate head coach at Mt. San Antonio Junior College in nearby Walnut. He was too big to play as an eighth grader in youth leagues, according to Negro, before arriving at Bosco at more than 240 pounds.

He's also a promising baseball product. Uiagalelei was clocked at 86 miles per hour two years ago. He belted seven homers last year on the freshman squad — and MLB scouts attended some of his games.

"He's grown in height a little, slimmed down definitely and is athletic enough to run the zone read," said Negro, comparing him in size and athleticism to former Bosco quarterback and Heisman candidate Josh Rosen. "He gives us a much different look than Re-al but both are very capable of running the offense. It's a great combination to have fortunately."

More fortunate is how Mitchell and Uiagalelei get along, according to Negro.

"Re-al has been a great mentor to D.J.," Negro said. "D.J. is very laid back and has a great personality. All the kids love him. Re-al and D.J. feed off of each other. At some point there will definitely be a passing of the torch."

With another challenging schedule, including a season-opener at St. Thomas Aquinas (Fort Lauderdale, Fla.), the Braves will likely need both talents throughout the season.

In the meantime, Uiagalelei, who also played varsity basketball and baseball as a freshman, is gaining attention online and from colleges. He received his first college offer from Oregon State as an eighth-grader. In addition to USC and Alabama, he has offers from Utah, San Jose State, Oregon, Fresno State, Brigham Young, Arizona State and UCLA.

He already gets peppered with questions about his college plans even though he hasn't taken a varsity high school snap. Negro said Uiagalelei always stays humble, humorous and loyal with his replies.

"He tells them he's playing for his uncle at Mt. Sac," Negro said.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

btfd16 wrote:http://www.maxpreps.com/news/hos1QO_yeE ... offers.htm

https://247sports.com/Season/2020-Footb ... sition=PRO

2020 QB. Our new DL coach's nephew. Sumlin is playing chess.
My favorite part is the kid at the end who goes "Who are you?"
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

DJ is most likely all SC, but he's considered a top baseball prospect and has a bigger future there right now
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

MrBug708 wrote:DJ is most likely all SC, but he's considered a top baseball prospect and has a bigger future there right now
Things change.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

Updated speculated staff:
OC/QB: Mazzone
RB: McKinney
DL: Uiagalelei
DC: Yates
DB: Martin
ST: Springer

Player Personnel: Polian

Am I missing anyone mentioned in public by the media?
Last edited by btfd16 on Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

What happened with Cale Gundy?
ProfessorFate

Post by ProfessorFate »

btfd16 wrote:Updated speculated staff:

Still hoping for Cale Gundy, but not optimistic.
2023 Football RAP Champion
2022 Mark Schlabach Memorial Bracket Champion
2017 Bear Down Wildcats Survival Pool Champion
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

azgreg wrote:What happened with Cale Gundy?
I am still praying, but like PF I am not optimistic. Sooners are saying his wife has an establish law practice in Norman and the offer wasn't for play calling. Still holding out hope.
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

Who was that Special Teams guy coming from aTm?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

BBQ wildcat wrote:

Who was that Special Teams guy coming from aTm?
Yep, Jeremy Springer was at TAMU.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

Knew I was forgetting someone. Thank you.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

ST: Springer

Just need a LB and OL coach. TE will probably be a dual role.
ramcat

Post by ramcat »