btfd16 wrote:Updated speculated staff:
OC/QB: Mazzone
RB: McKinney
DL: Uiagalelei
DC: Yates
DB: Martin
ST: Springer

Player Personnel: Polian

Am I missing anyone mentioned in public by the media?

Just need a LB and OL coach. TE will probably be a dual role.
Yup. Aych retained and Gundy official out :(.. Mazzone on campus today. Not a huge fan of Aych.
btfd16

Re: Assistant Coaches

Post by btfd16 »

btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

Replying to a question about the assistants
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

From ramcat's link above:
Arizona: Sources tell FootballScoop that wide receivers coach Theron Aych is being retained by Kevin Sumlin, as we previously reported was a strong possibility. Other staff hires such as offensive coordinator Noel Mazzone are expected to become official tomorrow, we are told.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Curious what the hold up is with Meat and just who the heck is the LB coach?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

ChooChooCat wrote:Curious what the hold up is with Meat and just who the heck is the LB coach?
With a recruiter like Meat, there is always baggage to vet
SteveKerrsStroke

Post by SteveKerrsStroke »

McKinney is a good hire to bring alone. Good position coach and recruiter. I believe he was the OC in Johnnys second year year before getting demoted for Spavital.

Mazzone = meh. Was about to get fired from UCLA before Sumlin threw him at a line at A&M. Did a good job with Trevor Knight though, which bodes well for Tate.

Massive bummer that Banks got the Bama gig before he could have had the chance to come out to the desert. He's the real maestro behind impressive special teams play.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

SteveKerrsStroke wrote:McKinney is a good hire to bring alone. Good position coach and recruiter. I believe he was the OC in Johnnys second year year before getting demoted for Spavital.

Mazzone = meh. Was about to get fired from UCLA before Sumlin threw him at a line at A&M. Did a good job with Trevor Knight though, which bodes well for Tate.

Massive bummer that Banks got the Bama gig before he could have had the chance to come out to the desert. He's the real maestro behind impressive special teams play.

I completely agree with all assessments here.
ProfessorFate

Post by ProfessorFate »

It's FINALLY official. Welcome Coach Meat!
2023 Football RAP Champion
2022 Mark Schlabach Memorial Bracket Champion
2017 Bear Down Wildcats Survival Pool Champion
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

So I assume Yates is coaching LBs and probably Mazzone Jr working with TEs?
HaCats

Post by HaCats »

Can someone clarify who 'Meat' is for me?
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

Demetrice "Meat" Martin
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Is this guy a good addition as a coach? I get he probably brings Preston and some other Manvel guys, but does he bring anything after that or is this an addition for a one time thing?
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

gronk4heisman wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Is this guy a good addition as a coach? I get he probably brings Preston and some other Manvel guys, but does he bring anything after that or is this an addition for a one time thing?
C'mon.

I suggest his nickname should be "potatoes" to go with the other Martin, "meat".
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

Final. Wonder if TE's count as Inside WR.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Chuck is back - cool!

Recruiting coordinator still Singletary?
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

UAEebs86 wrote:Chuck is back - cool!

Won't be for sure until after signing day. Wouldn't have made sense to not have some continuity.
Sid

Post by Sid »

UAEebs86 wrote:Chuck is back - cool!

What’s not to love with a “Chuck” and a “Meat” on our staff.

Get some!
jimson

Post by jimson »

Glad to see Cecil is still around, hopefully he can move into a coaching position someday.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

NYCat wrote:I'm not sold on Noel Mazzone & Yates being retained at all. Mazzone's play calling was meh. Yates I think will be gone in a couple of years with the excuse of being a leftover Rodriguez guy - failed his tryout.
Don't think Yates will be with Sumlin longer than a couple of years
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

jimson wrote:Glad to see Cecil is still around, hopefully he can move into a coaching position someday.
If he were more capable than someone else he would already have that position. Be glad Sumlin threw you a bone.
jimson

Post by jimson »

MrMeow wrote:
jimson wrote:Glad to see Cecil is still around, hopefully he can move into a coaching position someday.
If he were more capable than someone else he would already have that position. Be glad Sumlin threw you a bone.
Your post was unnecessary and simply a dig at me personally, and everyone can see that.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Pretty damn excited to see what this football team looks like next year. Still in a state of shock what has transpired over the last couple of months but instead of a dumpster fire this turned out pretty well.

Now let's see if we can have a marked improvement in recruiting. That's what I am keeping an eye on.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

MrMeow wrote:
Can anyone confirm that he wanted a different job?

As far as being capable, the guy was a coordinator in the NFL. Yes, it was a bad stint, but he had enough success as a position coach before that to earn that opportunity.

I think he is certainly capable of being a college assistant.

Hunley, on the other hand, has no business being even considered for a head coaching job... or coordinator job (which is apparently what he wants).

People conflate the 2, but should not.
sirhamsalot

Post by sirhamsalot »

jimson wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
jimson wrote:
btfd16 wrote: Some of you are going to be upset. Just get the best man for the job. Period. As long as Sumlin keeps alum involved and engaged that's good for me. Hell maybe an analyst role like Glenn Parker had and all those former coaches under Saban.
Bummer. Cecil and Hunley would have gotten me "all in"

Probably no season tix for me this year.
Sumlin is asking for your help. Why do you want an alumni so bad? It is clear they are not the best person for the job so why would you want them on the staff so bad that your purchase decision depends on it?
I wasn't really planning on tickets this year but Cecil and Hunley might have prompted me to see if I could work it into the budget.

With them, you get UA legends who have a real, deep hearted passion for the football program, are qualified coaches and win the meet and greets. My feeling is that that is a way to build this history and tradition that we supposedly don't have. I definitely wouldn't consider it a sacrifice of on the field coaching. I truly don't think anyone would work harder or be better than them.

Hunley's words here resonate with me:

“We ate at Houston’s; Chuck brought his family,” said Hunley. “As you can imagine, we talked about Wildcat football. That’s what we always talk about. Today, Chuck and I were in agreement — both of us need to be back at Arizona. We both want to be there.”

“The football job at Arizona has been lacking people who have passion for the school and the program,” Hunley said. “For whatever reason, any kind of UA connection seemed to be avoided. It’s time to go back like a lot of other schools and take care of your own and be proud of what you’ve built.”
You buying tickets now?
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

Not sure what I make of the staff from a coaching aspect, but love the focus on recruiting. I expect that Yates has one year to significantly improve Arizone defense. I dislike that Yates is coaching LBs but I’m fine for a year to see how it goes. Even if things go well, I expect a few more changes next year regarding staff.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
jimson

Post by jimson »

sirhamsalot wrote:
jimson wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
jimson wrote:
btfd16 wrote: Some of you are going to be upset. Just get the best man for the job. Period. As long as Sumlin keeps alum involved and engaged that's good for me. Hell maybe an analyst role like Glenn Parker had and all those former coaches under Saban.
Bummer. Cecil and Hunley would have gotten me "all in"

Probably no season tix for me this year.
Sumlin is asking for your help. Why do you want an alumni so bad? It is clear they are not the best person for the job so why would you want them on the staff so bad that your purchase decision depends on it?
I wasn't really planning on tickets this year but Cecil and Hunley might have prompted me to see if I could work it into the budget.

With them, you get UA legends who have a real, deep hearted passion for the football program, are qualified coaches and win the meet and greets. My feeling is that that is a way to build this history and tradition that we supposedly don't have. I definitely wouldn't consider it a sacrifice of on the field coaching. I truly don't think anyone would work harder or be better than them.

Hunley's words here resonate with me:

“We ate at Houston’s; Chuck brought his family,” said Hunley. “As you can imagine, we talked about Wildcat football. That’s what we always talk about. Today, Chuck and I were in agreement — both of us need to be back at Arizona. We both want to be there.”

“The football job at Arizona has been lacking people who have passion for the school and the program,” Hunley said. “For whatever reason, any kind of UA connection seemed to be avoided. It’s time to go back like a lot of other schools and take care of your own and be proud of what you’ve built.”
You buying tickets now?
I'll probably go to a couple of games.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

Harvey Specter wrote:
MrMeow wrote:

As far as being capable, the guy was a coordinator in the NFL. Yes, it was a bad stint, but he had enough success as a position coach before that to earn that opportunity.

Hunley, on the other hand, has no business being even considered for a head coaching job... or coordinator job (which is apparently what he wants).

There's also recruiting. Probably didn't do much of that in the NFL.
jimson

Post by jimson »

Harvey Specter wrote:
MrMeow wrote:

I guess I just assumed Cecil would want to coach at his alma mater but who knows? Maybe he is happy as an analyst.

Hunley does have coordinator experience in some semi-pro? league, but I can understand how that might not be viewed as significant.
I don't know what, if any position he sought this time around, but he did apply to be Arizona’s defensive line coach in 2015.

In any case, its time to move on and see what this new staff can accomplish in 2018.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

HaCats wrote:Can someone clarify who 'Meat' is for me?
Oh, well, I'm kind of flattered you want to know more about me. Let's see. I'm a lifelong Wildcat fan, I'm....oh....wait...I think you meant the coach didn't you. I'll just walk away with my head hanging down in shame now.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

PieceOfMeat wrote:
HaCats wrote:Can someone clarify who 'Meat' is for me?
Oh, well, I'm kind of flattered you want to know more about me. Let's see. I'm a lifelong Wildcat fan, I'm....oh....wait...I think you meant the coach didn't you. I'll just walk away with my head hanging down in shame now.

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

For those who might know, why is Theron Aych the only position coach retained? What separates him from the others?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

MrMeow wrote:For those who might know, why is Theron Aych the only position coach retained? What separates him from the others?
Connections to Texas....I guess?
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

jimson wrote:
RondaeShimmy wrote:Salave'a is an alum, he can recruit and other schools actually want. Go get him

Antonio Pierce looks like he's the main recruiter for a couple 4*s ASU is about to land from Long Beach Poly and Junipero Serra

https://247sports.com/Coach/Antonio-Pierce-4025" target="_blank

Kinda infuriating tbh
I don't care what other schools want. Sumlin is this home run hire but Oregon, UCLA, Tennessee, etc didn't want him?

Pierce is forever tainted with Sunblister slime.
On paper, Nick Foles would have seemed like a no-brainer for any to team to look at as a Backup QB. Record breaking season with ProBowl MVP under his belt...

Well if he was ALL THAT, why did only ONE team go down to meet with him and have him workout?

With the benefit of retrospect, it is not because all the other teams were smart and knew something that one team did not.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

Harvey Specter wrote:
jimson wrote:
RondaeShimmy wrote:Salave'a is an alum, he can recruit and other schools actually want. Go get him

Antonio Pierce looks like he's the main recruiter for a couple 4*s ASU is about to land from Long Beach Poly and Junipero Serra

https://247sports.com/Coach/Antonio-Pierce-4025" target="_blank

Kinda infuriating tbh
I don't care what other schools want. Sumlin is this home run hire but Oregon, UCLA, Tennessee, etc didn't want him?

Pierce is forever tainted with Sunblister slime.

On paper, Nick Foles would have seemed like a no-brainer for any to team to look at as a Backup QB. Record breaking season with ProBowl MVP under his belt...

Well if he was ALL THAT, why did only ONE team go down to meet with him and have him workout?

With the benefit of retrospect, it is not because all the other teams were smart and knew something that one team did not.
And why did John Elway draft Brock Osweiler ahead of Nick? No retrospect needed here - I about fell over when it happened. When at Arizona, I always thought Nick was as good as Andrew Luck, minus the mobility. WTF could Elway have been thinking? Just nuts.
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

Does anyone know much about our new defensive line coach? Other than what was in the newspaper about him. I think most would agree our defensive line is the weakest link in our poor defense. I know we've been lacking the needed size for some time but we've been lacking good coaching at that position as well. Can this guy actually coach? Does anyone have any first hand knowledge about him?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Just heard he is very well respected by the JUCO community in California and in the poly community. Chief would probably have some good info on him I would think
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

So who's the new S&C coach? Spill it insiders.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

ChooChooCat wrote:So who's the new S&C coach? Spill it insiders.

There are no insiders. Don't let them fool you.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Coach Iona is awesome. He's well respected and connected in the SoCal football community. He's also a very good teacher and mentor. He was a home run hire by Sumlin.
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

chiefzona wrote:Coach Iona is awesome. He's well respected and connected in the SoCal football community. He's also a very good teacher and mentor. He was a home run hire by Sumlin.
Well good, I do think we are in sore need of a good teacher for that position.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

yea i can only think of 1 or 2 respectable d lines we've had in the 15+ years now i've watched az football.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

What took him so long to get hired at a bigger program? 5 star nephew?
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

MrBug708 wrote:What took him so long to get hired at a bigger program? 5 star nephew?

It's hard for coaches to pull that trigger. Sumlin did his homework because he surrounded himself with people who know west coast recruiting and connections.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

chiefzona wrote:
MrBug708 wrote:What took him so long to get hired at a bigger program? 5 star nephew?

It's hard for coaches to pull that trigger. Sumlin did his homework because he surrounded himself with people who know west coast recruiting and connections.
That is an entirely valid point. Iona had long standing and secure position with Mt. SAC. Not a piece of cake to dump that and run off to the desert - or anywhere else. Coach Sumlin can recruit!!
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

Was told former player Michael Barton will be a GA. Was going to make a run at the NFL and combine, but just could not get his shoulder right. Happy for Michael and the Wildcats.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Talked with a close friend of mine who is dialed into the SoCal recruiting scene as anyone I can imagine. He told me coach meat our new DB coach is a stud recruiter and knows everyone in SoCal. Will definitely recruit well for us. He said coach Iona was perfect for the poly connections and well respected. Liked coach Mazzone as well

He didn’t really know our other coaches but said coach meat is the perfect hire if you want to recruit SoCal players as he is dialed in there. Thought Sumlin will do a good job and PAC 12 south is wide open next couple years with Rosen and darnold leaving.
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS