Assistant Coaches

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

azgreg

Re: Assistant Coaches

Post by azgreg »

I'm all for having alumni as position coaches if Sumlin thinks they can do the job.
jimson

Post by jimson »

Merkin wrote:^ great stuff.

I recall Hunley saying too that RichRod wouldn't even let him sit with the UA players during a game. He sat with the UCLA guys.
Hearing stuff like that is what started turning the tide for me. Along with him being a jackass at the ASU game press conference and just the fact that he was chasing skirt killed my respect.

I thought he was turning it around enough to get another year, but I wasn't upset when he got sent down the road kicking rocks.
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

Sumlin should hire whoever he feels he can have the most success with and I believe he will. If that is UA alumni then so be it, but they shouldn't be hired just because they're alumni.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

azgreg wrote:I'm all for having alumni as position coaches if Sumlin thinks they can do the job.
In hiring assistant coaches Alumni should have no advantage because they are Alumni. Sumlin should hire the best people for the jobs, period.
jimson

Post by jimson »

DrWildcat wrote:Sumlin should hire whoever he feels he can have the most success with and I believe he will. If that is UA alumni then so be it, but they shouldn't be hired just because they're alumni.
My feeling is that Hunley is more than qualified to coach linebackers and Cecil safetys. Isn't that where Amey and Addae were?

I think they can do the job on the field and off the field they will crush it as recruiters and ambassadors of the program. I bet boosters would be happy and the biggest portion of the fanbase would too.

Are you reading this Coach Sumlin? LOL
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

jimson wrote:
DrWildcat wrote:Sumlin should hire whoever he feels he can have the most success with and I believe he will. If that is UA alumni then so be it, but they shouldn't be hired just because they're alumni.
My feeling is that Hunley is more than qualified to coach linebackers and Cecil safetys. Isn't that where Amey and Addae were?

I think they can do the job on the field and off the field they will crush it as recruiters and ambassadors of the program. I bet boosters would be happy and the biggest portion of the fanbase would too.

Only alumni mentioned that is far and away, without a doubt qualified for a job is Salavea. But he has a buy out.

Cecil could very well be qualified. He coached at the highest level. Yates coaches corners, it very much depends how Sumlin wants to break up and assign each coach to positions. It most likely won't be the same as last year. Looking at A&M last year, there was one coach for the entire secondary.

His LB coach was Chavis so he is obviously looking for a new one there. Hunley has coached LB's twice and not since 2013 (as an assistant) and not full time since 07. We do have a gap at DL and he has coached that at both levels as well.

At A&M, Sumlin had a Interior Line coach and a DEnd coach. David Turner and Terry Price. Turner has 15 years experience of DL in the SEC. Price has had a few All Americans. Curious if he splits that up, or if he splits secondary up. We will see.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

prh wrote:Any more word on Singletary? That becomes the most important one. I would expect Sumlin to have a guy but you never know.

Chief any idea on if he can get Brian Polian to come over?

No word on Singletary. I would love for Polian to come over but seems unlikely. ST if he did.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

http://footballscoop.com/the-scoop/" target="_blank

Arizona: Source tells FootballScoop defensive coordinator Marcel Yates has been retained. It sounds as if Kevin Sumlin is considering retaining some of Rich Rod’s staff; but at this time we would not expect most of them to be back. Perhaps one or two more in addition to Yates (receivers coach Theron Aych might have the best shot; but all remains TBD).
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

Magee possibly UNM, Smith possibly Illinois.

Edit: Listening through the headsets, I always thought Magee was the most knowledgeable and needed to be listened to more.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

I’m surprised that Rod Smith got a D1 job.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

chiefzona wrote:I’m surprised that Rod Smith got a D1 job.
Outside of Denker and Tate, his development of the rest of the QBs has been pretty miserable. Dawkins never got better, Solomon regressed each year, and did those JC QBs who were hotshot QBs ever see the field?
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/pl ... mon-1.html" target="_blank

Dont worry about stats Merkin
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
splitsecond

Post by splitsecond »

jimson wrote:

I couldn't imagine a DB recruit meeting Cecil and not wanting to play for him.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

splitsecond wrote:
jimson wrote:

What are their main recruiting bases?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

PHXCATS wrote:https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/pl ... mon-1.html

Wasn't talking about stats. Weren't you the one cherry picking defensive stats?

Yes you were.

Solomon didn't pass the eyeball test. I watched every game, and he completely lost confidence in his passing and ability to run the ball.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Merkin wrote:

Yes you were.

Solomon didn't pass the eyeball test. I watched every game, and he completely lost confidence in his passing and ability to run the ball.
Cherry pick mean looking at per play averages like pro betters? Got it. So team A gives up 400 yards a game on 40 plays a game but is better than team B who gives up 450 yards on 65 plays a game? Nice math guy.

Oh you watched every game, great. I was at the majority of his games. He did fine. He made a jump. Injuries and concussions played a role but he made a jump in 2015.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

PHXCATS wrote:
Merkin wrote:

Yes you were.

Cherry pick mean looking at per play averages like pro betters? Got it. So team A gives up 400 yards a game on 40 plays a game but is better than team B who gives up 450 yards on 65 plays a game? Nice math guy.

Oh you watched every game, great. I was at the majority of his games. He did fine. He made a jump. Injuries and concussions played a role but he made a jump in 2015.
I didn't see that. The only ones to jump were receivers tying to catch his passes.
jimson

Post by jimson »

PHXCATS wrote:
splitsecond wrote:
jimson wrote:

What are their main recruiting bases?
Cecil came out of Helix HS California, I imagine that state would be an area for him.

Hunley came from Virginia. His college coaching career has taken him to California, Missouri, Tennessee, Florida. I believe he lives or has lived in California, so i would suspect he would be familiar with the state as well.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Salave'a is an alum, he can recruit and other schools actually want. Go get him

Antonio Pierce looks like he's the main recruiter for a couple 4*s ASU is about to land from Long Beach Poly and Junipero Serra

https://247sports.com/Coach/Antonio-Pierce-4025" target="_blank

Kinda infuriating tbh
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

RondaeShimmy wrote:Salave'a is an alum, he can recruit. Go get him

Antonio Pierce looks like he's the main recruiter for a couple 4*s ASU is about to land from Long Beach Poly and Junipero Serra

Kinda infuriating tbh
Salavea has a buy out. Idk how much. But we aren't the richest of schools.

Pierce does piss me off.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Salave’a has been rumored for DL.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

chiefzona wrote:Salave’a has been rumored for DL.
Any idea what the buyout is? I know he has to be HC or DC with play calling duties for there not to be one, but idk how much the buyout is.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

btfd16 wrote:
Any idea what the buyout is? I know he has to be HC or DC with play calling duties for there not to be one, but idk how much the buyout is.

I don’t know.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Hearing similar things. Would love it. Get er done Sumlin
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

btfd16 wrote:
http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index.s ... eased.html" target="_blank
Salave'a buyout structure is similar to Arroyo's. He would owe UO 20 percent of his guaranteed salary, can have that waived if he leaves to either become an FBS head coach or defensive coordinator "with play-calling responsibilities."
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

azgreg wrote:
btfd16 wrote:
http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index.s ... eased.html" target="_blank
Salave'a buyout structure is similar to Arroyo's. He would owe UO 20 percent of his guaranteed salary, can have that waived if he leaves to either become an FBS head coach or defensive coordinator "with play-calling responsibilities."
Seems worth it
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

His salary is $550k?

https://247sports.com/Coach/Joe-Salavea-1502" target="_blank

Isnt Yates making $500k?

If Sumlin gets Joe it means the admin/boosters/Sumlin are serious about winning by laying down bags of money for top assistants
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

RondaeShimmy wrote:His salary is $550k?

Isnt Yates making $500k?

If Sumlin gets Joe it means the admin/boosters/Sumlin are serious about winning by laying down bags of money for top assistants
I believe Salave'a just got a bump to $650k too.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Isnt Yates making $500k?

I believe Yates is making more now.

Worth it to pay off $110k to bring Joe home
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

PHXCATS wrote:

Isnt Yates making $500k?

I believe Yates is making more now.

Worth it to pay off $110k to bring Joe home
He is on a 3 year deal at $650k per year. So the buyout would be $390k (assuming it is all guaranteed).
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

I hope the Charlie Camp for LB coach is one big joke.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

I think that is a great hire for UNM.
jimson

Post by jimson »

RondaeShimmy wrote:Salave'a is an alum, he can recruit and other schools actually want. Go get him

Kinda infuriating tbh
I don't care what other schools want. Sumlin is this home run hire but Oregon, UCLA, Tennessee, etc didn't want him?

Pierce is forever tainted with Sunblister slime.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

jimson wrote:
RondaeShimmy wrote:Salave'a is an alum, he can recruit and other schools actually want. Go get him

Kinda infuriating tbh
I don't care what other schools want. Sumlin is this home run hire but Oregon, UCLA, Tennessee, etc didn't want him?

Not sure about Oregon but it seemed that they listened to the players right away

UCLA got Chip right away

Tennessee couldnt sell it to their fans
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

Salave'a would be great. I know some folks have put down the Poly pipeline but I think it worked out ok for Bama, don't you think?
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Meh.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

UALoco wrote:Salave'a would be great. I know some folks have put down the Poly pipeline but I think it worked out ok for Bama, don't you think?
No one is putting down the Poly pipeline, just saying it gets overblown. And a quick scroll through Bama's roster and they have one Poly... lol a real pipeline they got going.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

jimson wrote:

Kinda infuriating tbh

A home run hire for the schools you mentioned, in the eyes of their fans, would have been Bear Bryant, John McKay, Woody Hayes, or (possibly) Nick Saban.

I think UCLA had a solid hire in Kelly, but he is a major asshole. As for the others, I think their foolishness is our gain. Time will tell.

And since I recall you as being a RichRod lover... how do you think those fan bases would have reacted to an RR hire (either before or after his stibt innTucson)? U xan hazard a guess.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

$2.7 million asst pay pool to $3.4
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

NYCat wrote: $2.7 million asst pay pool to $3.4
Pretty good bump in salary for assistants. Much more competitive with the majority of schools. Based on last years numbers, $3.4M would put us 29th for total assistant pay.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

Harvey Specter wrote:
jimson wrote:

Kinda infuriating tbh

A home run hire for the schools you mentioned, in the eyes of their fans, would have been Bear Bryant, John McKay, Woody Hayes, or (possibly) Nick Saban.

I think UCLA had a solid hire in Kelly, but he is a major asshole. As for the others, I think their foolishness is our gain. Time will tell.

And since I recall you as being a RichRod lover... how do you think those fan bases would have reacted to an RR hire (either before or after his stibt innTucson)? U xan hazard a guess.
UCLA can now claim it has the biggest dick in college football.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

DrWildcat wrote:
Pretty good bump in salary for assistants. Much more competitive with the majority of schools. Based on last years numbers, $3.4M would put us 29th for total assistant pay.
Problem is a 10th assistant was added to every coaching roster, so it's not much of a boost at all.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Charlie Camp and Joe Salave’a is what’s been thrown around.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Didn't Charlie Camp just sign with UTSA last month?
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

ChooChooCat wrote:
DrWildcat wrote:
Problem is a 10th assistant was added to every coaching roster, so it's not much of a boost at all.
Forgot about that, thanks for the reminder. So the bump in pay is a little less, say $400-500k.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salarie ... /assistant

2017 Assistant salary Pay

1) Alabama 5.99 mil
7) Texas A&M 4.82 mil
9) Washington 4.68 mil
19) Oregon 3.95 mil
23) UCLA 3.71 mil
27) ASU 3.52 mil
34) Utah 3.13 mil
36) Colorado 3.07 mil
40) Cal 2.97 mil
45) WSU 2.74 mil
46) Arizona 2.73 mil
48) Oregon State 2.59 mil

Stanford and USC are not available. I would expect both be in the 3.7 to 4.0 mil range.
$3.4 mil would get Arizona just below ASU but still a big jump from 46th to 28th.

Man, Kentucky is 16th in nation in Assistant pay at 4.03 mil.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Merkin wrote:^ great stuff.

I recall Hunley saying too that RichRod wouldn't even let him sit with the UA players during a game. He sat with the UCLA guys.
RR needed space on sideline for his harem.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

chiefzona wrote:Charlie Camp and Joe Salave’a is what’s been thrown around.
Would be nice to get Salave'a back. Former player, big with Polynesian recruits. And of course, screwing Oregon as well.
lunchpailguy

Post by lunchpailguy »

OSUCat wrote:
http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salarie ... /assistant

2017 Assistant salary Pay

1) Alabama 5.99 mil
7) Texas A&M 4.82 mil
9) Washington 4.68 mil
19) Oregon 3.95 mil
23) UCLA 3.71 mil
27) ASU 3.52 mil
34) Utah 3.13 mil
36) Colorado 3.07 mil
40) Cal 2.97 mil
45) WSU 2.74 mil
46) Arizona 2.73 mil
48) Oregon State 2.59 mil

Stanford and USC are not available. I would expect both be in the 3.7 to 4.0 mil range.
$3.4 mil would get Arizona just below ASU but still a big jump from 46th to 28th.

Man, Kentucky is 16th in nation in Assistant pay at 4.03 mil.
This has probably changed dramatically. LSU jas to be paying just the coordinators about 4m.