Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

btfd16

Maricopa County JuCo Football Eliminated

Post by btfd16 »

UAEebs86

Re: Maricopa County JuCo Football Eliminated

Post by UAEebs86 »

Whoa. Guessing Pima will be next.
Last edited by UAEebs86 on Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

UAEebs86 wrote:Woah. Guessing Pima will be next.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

We'll see. This was a decision made by the county college district. Pima is going to have trouble scheduling now.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

btfd16 wrote:

Maybe lots of people in Maricopa country will go this year to save it?
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

PHXCATS wrote:
btfd16 wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Have you ever gone to a JC game Machina? Or are you a bad fan?

I have and they are sparsely attended.
Last edited by UAEebs86 on Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

btfd16 wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
btfd16 wrote:

I dont know why it is funny. There are lots of times sports and businesses say they will stop operations and then fans and customers come out and support it back into business.

It is a financial thing first and foremost
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Out here in the Central Coast of California, UCSB completely dropped their football program, and Cal Poly was going to unless the students voted in an athletic fee increase on top of their tuition, which they did.

Very expensive sport.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

PHXCATS wrote:
btfd16 wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
btfd16 wrote:

I dont know why it is funny. There are lots of times sports and businesses say they will stop operations and then fans and customers come out and support it back into business.

It is a financial thing first and foremost
It's funny because 1. it's you and your attendance shtick back at it again and 2. I'm sure it wasn't based off a one year decision and one year of decent attendance won't change that.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

I did say maybe. Also look for alumni support to increase greatly from these schools.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

CC alumni support?

I guess I should kick in for my two English summer school classes prior to starting at the U.

Which were a joke because we wrote book reports on classic movies! :lol: Got the prerecs our of the way.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

CalStateTempe wrote:CC alumni support?

:D

I actually work supporting alumni development as a programmer at a mid size university, and have never ever heard of a JC having any sort of development office.

The UA still sends me crap 33 years after I graduated and have never given them a dime.

Never seen anything ever from any JC I went to.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

PHXCATS wrote:
btfd16 wrote:
Maybe when they do, someone will start clapping slowly, then the rest of the crowd will join one by one until there's a thunderous swell of applause.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
btfd16 wrote:
Maybe when they do, someone will start clapping slowly, then the rest of the crowd will join one by one until there's a thunderous swell of applause.
As long as the guy gets the girl who was thought to be unobtainable I don't see how that wont happen
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Golden thread for machina here
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Artichoked out.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

chiefzona wrote:Artichoked out.
Ha. Actually went to a few Artichoke games back in the day. My ex-brother in law was a long snapper in '89 or '90 . . .
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Sports talk radio all about saving football and MCC schools today
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Lots of alumni of MCC Football speaking out against this and working towards saving Football.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

They should just go ahead and get rid of football and crank up some wrestling programs at these schools.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

UAEebs86 wrote:Whoa. Guessing Pima will be next.
http://allsportstucson.com/2018/06/13/b ... g-in-2019/" target="_blank
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

I don’t recall if I said anything, but Arizona Western reaches out to me about 2 years back to be on a panel that discussed and analyzed the financial viability of JUCO athletics at AWC.

Lots of money spent with very little return. My guess is they would like to scratch it all except for soccer and baseball/softball, which are regional sports with regional talent.

Which is weird for a program that has had multiple NFL draft picks amongst its alumnus, and has had multiple NBA players, many more college basketball players, and was ranked as the nations #1 program in both men’s basketball and football.

But the cost to attain that required pipeline to Brazil for basketball and lots of California and Texas travel for football.

I wasn’t able to be a part of the committee, but I don’t doubt they will be looking at scrubbing the costly programs.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

JMarkJohns wrote:I don’t recall if I said anything, but Arizona Western reaches out to me about 2 years back to be on a panel that discussed and analyzed the financial viability of JUCO athletics at AWC.

Lots of money spent with very little return. My guess is they would like to scratch it all except for soccer and baseball/softball, which are regional sports with regional talent.

Which is weird for a program that has had multiple NFL draft picks amongst its alumnus, and has had multiple NBA players, many more college basketball players, and was ranked as the nations #1 program in both men’s basketball and football.

But the cost to attain that required pipeline to Brazil for basketball and lots of California and Texas travel for football.

I wasn’t able to be a part of the committee, but I don’t doubt they will be looking at scrubbing the costly programs.
If Arizona Western goes then that would eliminate JUCO football in Arizona altogether.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

ChooChooCat wrote:
JMarkJohns wrote:I don’t recall if I said anything, but Arizona Western reaches out to me about 2 years back to be on a panel that discussed and analyzed the financial viability of JUCO athletics at AWC.

If Arizona Western goes then that would eliminate JUCO football in Arizona altogether.
They know. But with state funding being almost nothing, they are looking to do the best with the resources they have, and football recruiting is not cheap. Nobody in the region is playing football at AWC. Emphasize soccer and baseball/softball... that’s my guess.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ChooChooCat wrote:

Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Canary in a coal mine
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Merkin wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

I'm surprised it hasn't happened sooner at Western. Currently the situation is ridiculous. The school is full of athletes with little interest from the community. I don't know how they've sustained it for this long, but that school has had too much emphasis on athletics and too little on educational opportunities for way too long.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Carcassdragger wrote:
Merkin wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

I'm surprised it hasn't happened sooner at Western. Currently the situation is ridiculous. The school is full of athletes with little interest from the community. I don't know how they've sustained it for this long, but that school has had too much emphasis on athletics and too little on educational opportunities for way too long.
Does any JUCO sports program really have strong support or really any interest from the community? I guess maybe some in the mid west but I know none in California or Arizona do. Always found JUCO sports interesting and to me tough to see JUCO football being around on the west coast in 10-15 years for a whole host of reasons mostly related to high costs and the fact no one really cares about it. Admins from Junior Colleges have a responsibility to maintain cheaper tuition for students and supporting expensive sports that probably generate little to no revenues I can see as being very hard to justify.
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Yeah. Western currently has football, men's and women's soccer, men's and women's basketball, women's volleyball, softball, and baseball. I'm guessing few to none of the these generate enough revenue to support themselves.

Just surprising the situation has gone on this long.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Carcassdragger wrote:Yeah. Western currently has football, men's and women's soccer, men's and women's basketball, women's volleyball, softball, and baseball. I'm guessing few to none of the these generate enough revenue to support themselves.

Just surprising the situation has gone on this long.
Like I said, Soccer and Baseball/asoftball becauae they are regional makes sense to keep. Seems like they are keeping basketball for now. Maybe Volleyball, though I’m not sure how since that would create an imbalance of 4 female sports and 3 male sports.

I’d keep Baseball/Softball and that’s it. The field is already on campus, they have regional talent, and could take budgets and really become top quality programs.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Yuma is a wrestling town. If they would restart a wrestling program, they'd have alot of community support. It doesn't cost much and would probably be self sustaining.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Carcassdragger wrote:Yuma is a wrestling town. If they would restart a wrestling program, they'd have alot of community support. It doesn't cost much and would probably be self sustaining.
That’s a potential great replacement assuming they even want to deal with any of this any more.

Logistically, they can’t sustain travel, recruiting, staff pay for sports the other state JuCos don’t also run.

Wrestling makes a ton of sense, but unless the other state or closer SoCal JuCos also run it, I don’t see anything more than subtraction to Soccer and Batted sports.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

So what is the entire purpose of JUCO Athletics honestly? I figured it was to attract prospective students much like D1 Athletics does. If JUCOs don't view it that way then wtf was the point in ever having football or having any sports whatsoever?
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

How much longer before non-D1 schools start dropping in droves? Football is dying. Sad to see but progress must grind forward.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Schools should do regional stuff. Not all of it. If you are a major city or west Texas JuCo, sure, have football.

But why the fuck is Yuma Arizona is fucking powerhouse in JuCo football? How is it having multiple players recruited to top-25 programs a year? Drafted into the NFL?

Because they spend big fucking dollars to be good.

Why? They don’t even have their own fucking stadium.

Have regional sports your local peeps can continue to build and grow and developed and showcase.

Yuma has not had a quality FB player or basketball player in generations.

But golf, swimming, baseball, softball, soccer, wrestling?

Many. So, figure it out.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

I like this discussion. I grew up in Yuma. I don't think swimming, golf, or baseball have a chance to be self sustaining. I do believe wrestling would be though.

Also. I love college football, but I think it is high time Western did away with football and most of their other sports.