61 Days Coach Noel Mazzone

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ANGCatFan

61 Days Coach Noel Mazzone

Post by ANGCatFan »

Mazzone is in his first year as the Arizona offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach. He started his football career as a quarterback at New Mexico (1975-1979) and stayed there as a graduation assistant until 1981. Since then he has been a QB or offensive coordinator for 11 different colleges and was also a wide receivers coach for the NY Jets (2006-2008). Mazzone has had 3 previous stops in the PAC; Oregon State (2002), AssU (2010-2011), and ucla (2012-2015). For the last 2 years Mazzone was Coach Sumlin's OC/QB coach at Texas A&M. During his career he has mentored Jason Campbell, Phillip Rivers, Brock Osweiler, Brett Hundley, and Josh Rosen at QB.

What can we expect from Mazzone? Likely a very balanced attack from 1 back, spread sets with still enough read options and QB draws to take advantage of Tate's running ability. Hundley was Mazzone's most prolific running QB rushing for 1,392 yard over 2 seasons (less than Tate had last year alone). According to Michael Lev at the Star, Mazzone's teams since 2010 have had total offenses from 406.8 yards/game (lasts year's A&M squad) to 467 yards/game. The most common criticisms you hear about Mazzone are too many bubble screens, repetitive play calling, and how the hell did he let ucla have the ball so many times to stage a comeback last year.

Mazzone markets his offensive system at clinics and on the planetary interweb at Nzone system.com and here is the most concise breakdown of his offense I saw from Glenn Sattelli for Saturday Down South:
The basic goals are to get the ball snapped every 18-22 seconds, to play the next play and quickly put behind the last one. And here’s perhaps the most important of all; built-in solutions within the system to take advantage of what the defense is presenting.

It’s often described as quarterback friendly.

Mazzone doesn’t employ a large playbook. It’s about executing the basic concept, because each play begins with different formations and those plays vary depending on the defense’s reactions. The quarterback has a run/play option and that’s what gives diversity to a simplified spread offense.

Aggies’ fans can anticipate a lot of motion in the offense in hopes of tipping the defense’s hand on whether it’s playing man or zone. It’s a quick offense that depends on the quarterback making good reads and quick distribution of the football.

That’s where Aggies quarterbacks Trevor Knight and Jake Hubenak come in. Their decision-making will determine whether or not the system works for Texas A&M. Knight looks like the guy to take the controls. It looks like, on paper, that this is a system that will allow Knight to use his experience and knowledge of the game to full potential. It’s a quick three-step drop passing attack that plays to Knight’s skill set.

That’s not to say Hubenak couldn’t flourish. But quick reactions derived from confidence and recognition of the situation are among the essential ingredients in steering this offense.

The running game remains important, but the goal is to spread the defense and remove as many numbers from the box as possible, keep them honest with the occasional tunnel screen and plays that test the perimeter. Getting the ball to playmakers in space is the key and the Aggies possess the skilled athletes to make it work.
Transcript of spring interview with Mazzone from Arizona Desert Swarm.

614 was Nick Wilson's rushing total last year as our number 1 back. He was out rushed by both Tate and JJ Taylor.
MrBug708

Re: 61 Days Coach Noel Mazzone

Post by MrBug708 »

His scheme is great, his playcalling leaves a lot to be desired as well as his ability to scout. Let Sumlin do the recruiting for the position and you should be good.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Very good interview from USA Football with Mazzone on his game planning and overall philosophy of coaching. I was concerned at the beginning it was just an infomercial for his coaching system tapes, but it was not. Also, no Arizona specifics, but it is the most concise thing I've heard to help you understand this year's offensive philosophy.

Warning: If you have recently given up on football this is definitely not for you. This is straight, undiluted football talk. You will be off the wagon 10 minutes into the interview.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Hey Chi, I think Mazzone went to a school of offensive playcalling with this guy:

It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Mazzone has a great scheme but is an awful play caller
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

PieceOfMeat wrote:Hey Chi, I think Mazzone went to a school of offensive playcalling with this guy:

Ahhh, the ol’ Huck & Shrug. Fun times...
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

There's a reason Noel Mazzone is well traveled as an OC, and it's not because he is good.
blackjacker

Post by blackjacker »

Fire and maybe shoot him. LOL just kidding about the shooting part.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

he's garbage
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

well. after 6 quarters, I'd say that our gameplan and play calling has been.....lacking.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

TheGreatCatsby

Post by TheGreatCatsby »

Does Mazzone even watch modern football? Our sets are so predictable, bubble screens, runs up the middle on short yardage with the smallest player on the field despite it never working the past 20 times. We run a few crossing routes and it seems like a miracle.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Fire or retire him.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

I can't see him being here next year.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

He deserves one more year as much as I fuck.ing hate myself for saying that.
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

Seems to me Mazzone is playing the hand he was dealt and it wasn't very good. I don't know if Tate is injured badly or just has a low pain threshold. Whichever it is Mazzone can't do anything about that. I'm having more issues with Marcel Yates than I am with Mazzone but that's a different post.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

tgrumpy2 wrote:Seems to me Mazzone is playing the hand he was dealt and it wasn't very good. I don't know if Tate is injured badly or just has a low pain threshold. Whichever it is Mazzone can't do anything about that. I'm having more issues with Marcel Yates than I am with Mazzone but that's a different post.
The defense won the Cal game. Prior to Rhett Rod coming in Mazzone's offense hadn't scored a TD in 6 quarters. Don't get me wrong, the defense is horrible, but in all actuality the offense has been much worse.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

I'm usually all for giving coaches some time when they're new to a program.

However this is an exception for me.

When you have an offensive coordinator who is so out of touch with the talent he has on his team, he has to go.

Mazzone's offense isn't a style of offense which is going to succeed until about 4 years from now when Sumlin has had enough time to get enough talent on the roster. And by succeed I mean get us to a middling toilet bowl. His style of offense is so predictable and out of step with where modern college football is that it won't get us to where we dream of going, regardless of the talent we have in 4 years.

catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

You see what Jake Browning is doing with UW, and know Khalil Tate has all the same physical tools.

Yet neither Tate nor Mazzone is taking notes. That's why Mazzone has to go. Tate isn't willing to develop by learning from others, and Mazzone's too old to give him the coaching he needs.

But then Gunnell will come in next fall, we'll get smoke blown up our asses and, the reality will be, nothing will change.
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
tgrumpy2 wrote:Seems to me Mazzone is playing the hand he was dealt and it wasn't very good. I don't know if Tate is injured badly or just has a low pain threshold. Whichever it is Mazzone can't do anything about that. I'm having more issues with Marcel Yates than I am with Mazzone but that's a different post.
The defense won the Cal game. Prior to Rhett Rod coming in Mazzone's offense hadn't scored a TD in 6 quarters. Don't get me wrong, the defense is horrible, but in all actuality the offense has been much worse.
I agree Choo but Marcel has been here three years and Mazzone walked into a young and maybe under talented OL and no backup QB and tiny little running back and a Heisman candidate that looks to me like he doesn't listen and he's hurt.
blackjacker

Post by blackjacker »

Honestly, i think our offense this year would be better if RR was still here.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

blackjacker wrote:

Well, possibly that it can't get much worse, but look at the end of last season. Tate decided he didn't want to run any more last 3 games, which the Cats all lost. That was on RichRod's watch.
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

Merkin wrote:
blackjacker wrote:

Well, possibly that it can't get much worse, but look at the end of last season. Tate decided he didn't want to run any more last 3 games, which the Cats all lost. That was on RichRod's watch.
Yea they lost them but was that really because of Tate? He pretty much dominated Asu and set school records against Purdue throwing. He got hurt during the Oregon game and the defense fell apart in all three until Purdue in the second half.
Mike Luke's burner account.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Isn't Mazzone likely to retire soon? Also wonder how involved Heeke is with at least his thoughts on what he has seen from each coordinator.

Second thought or question is, does Sumlin get another year on the honeymoon if he replaces both coordinators or is that a minus for getting them here in the first place
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

azcat49, remember that Sumlin was hired mid-January. The pickings for assistants were slim by then.
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

blackjacker wrote:

It might be a tad better but I think not much. If you have the run pass option on and pull the ball back from your running back and now you're deciding on whether to pass or run and a lane opens with 25 yards of running room and you don't take it, that's not Mazzone's fault. If Tate is hurt bad enough that he can't take advantage of what's being given to him he needs to sit and get well. I'm not terribly enthused about the backup options but oh well.