USC at Arizona discussion thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Merkin

USC at Arizona discussion thread

Post by Merkin »

https://www.azdesertswarm.com/football/ ... off-week-5" target="_blank

You’re not going to believe this, but the Arizona Wildcats’ next home football game will be played at night. I know, shocking.

It was announced Monday that kickoff for the game against USC on Saturday, Sept. 29 will be at 7:30 p.m. PT. ESPN2 will broadcast the clash between teams that were projected to contend for the Pac-12 South title but are currently a combined 2-4 overall and 0-1 in conference play.

This will be Arizona’s 12th consecutive home night game. The last time the Wildcats kicked off at Arizona Stadium prior to 6 p.m. was against USC on Oct. 15, 2016 when a 12:30 p.m. local start time saw them lose 48-14.
PHXCATS

Re: USC at Arizona discussion thread

Post by PHXCATS »

If you complain about kickoff times I immediately know you have no idea what you are talking about as an author/reporter/content creator
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Oh man we gonna get boned.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

CalStateTempe wrote:Oh man we gonna get boned.
We will see. Maybe but Texas isnt very good and USC looked like crap vs Stanford.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Right now the whole PAC south sucks. by default it might be Utah or ASSU winning the south and it sucks that we just blew a golden opportunity to get into the championship game with the league being so down.

Of course things could change but with our play so far that looks unlikely
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

PHXCATS wrote:If you complain about kickoff times I immediately know you have no idea what you are talking about as an author/reporter/content creator
Permaban pls. He clearly didn't learn from his temp ban.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Seriously, with all this talk about Sumlin preparing the team for next year by sacrificing this year, you would think with UCLA and USC being so bad you would go all in on this year.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

azcat49 wrote:Right now the whole PAC south sucks. by default it might be Utah or ASSU winning the south and it sucks that we just blew a golden opportunity to get into the championship game with the league being so down.

New system on offense. When Sumlin took over at Houston after Art Briles left Houston struggled the firs few weeks then turned it on the first year. Not saying that will happen for sure and yes it was a FCS team but things started to look a bit better. I dont think the Rose Bowl is still in play right now but a bowl game is.

SC is down
UCLA is worse than us
Utah is just okay
asu we will see
Colorado looks best so far in the division

Oregon we will see as well
Oregon State is awful
Washington State isnt good
Cal isnt good

Still can get 5 or 6 wins if things go the way they did for Sumlin in year 1 at Houston
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Our defense is very suspect. If we beat OSU this week then that will spark a glimmer of hope bug right now I think they drive it right down our throats.

Tate and our running game killed them last year and while I think the return of LF at left tackle really helps I just don't think this team has what it takes
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

ASUHATER! wrote:Permaban pls. He clearly didn't learn from his temp ban.
For the love of christ, please stop quoting that pile of trash.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

PHXCATS wrote:
azcat49 wrote:Right now the whole PAC south sucks. by default it might be Utah or ASSU winning the south and it sucks that we just blew a golden opportunity to get into the championship game with the league being so down.

New system on offense. When Sumlin took over at Houston after Art Briles left Houston struggled the firs few weeks then turned it on the first year. Not saying that will happen for sure and yes it was a FCS team but things started to look a bit better. I dont think the Rose Bowl is still in play right now but a bowl game is.

SC is down
UCLA is worse than us
Utah is just okay
asu we will see
Colorado looks best so far in the division

Oregon we will see as well
Oregon State is awful
Washington State isnt good
Cal isnt good

Still can get 5 or 6 wins if things go the way they did for Sumlin in year 1 at Houston
You hoping that UA pulled 5-6 win on the table but who are the 5 or 6 win UA going to sneak past?

USC i dont see that happening if they in up changing QB to play better.

UCLA that might be a W that depend on UCLA offense compare to our Defense.

Utah is always the same team each and every year.

ASU Let just see how far they'll go once that game is play.

Colorado wont get far.

Oregon will still be Oregon.

Oregon State will still be Oregon State no matter how bad they are.

Washington State Can our Defense stop Mike Leach Offense for 60 min of football.

Cal is much improve football team on both side of the ball.

At this rate, UA might just get maybe one or two more Win on the table that all she going to write.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

USC opens at -4 and it quickly moved to -3.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

They gave up 21 to UNLV, 36 to WSU and 37 to Texas. Won't. E impossible to score on their defense, but our lines will both get smacked around by theirs and the holes we had running the last 2 weeks won't be there. I still probably think a like 41-31 type win for USC is likely.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

With us not playing UDUB an Furd and the rest of the league playing at least one of yhem, what an advantage. We could lose two and rep the south. Hopefully that defensive effort continues during conference play
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

azgreg wrote:USC opens at -4 and it quickly moved to -3.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

UAEebs86 wrote:
azgreg wrote:USC opens at -4 and it quickly moved to -3.
I've seen it go both ways. Some sites opened at -4 and some opened up at -2.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

If we lose by less than 20 I'll be blown away
FlyonWall

Post by FlyonWall »

Which kicker, Havrisik or Pollack?
Sid

Post by Sid »

I like our chanches without the services of Porter Gustin. WHEN he is ejected and this is a certainty, you will see a much different sc defense. The Texas beat down speaks to this. The fact that this gorilla is even playing in the first half is a testament to the pac 12 and it’s biased love fest with all things trojans. Last Friday nights blatant (no-call) targeting fuckup will comeback to bite the dirtiest player in the Pac 12. Rest assured, the pirate chewed all kinds of ass including that of Larry Scott’s. Mr. Gustin WILL be under the microscope. You will see a completely different team once he is ejected. This is when things will get interesting....
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

Yeah watch out for Gustin. He's about as dirty as it can get after watching those two plays. I wouldn't mind someone accidentally falling into his knee if this happens against Tate.
Mike Luke's burner account.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

CalStateTempe wrote:Oh man we gonna get boned.
Still thinking this after U of A should have won 49-14 last week and USC was trash vs WSU?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Huge game. USC misses Oregon and Stanford and they lost to uDub so after this week their path is as favorable as ours. We need to own that tiebreaker.

UCLA looks lost and CU and ASSU still have a games with Furd and Oregon and Utah has some of the north toughies left as well
Last edited by azcat49 on Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

While we looked better against OSU, it is highly doubtful that we will be able to run as easily against USC. If we can't run the ball, this will be an uphill battle. I also don't expect our defense to stop USC, especially if they go run heavy.
blackjacker

Post by blackjacker »

I don't think Tate can carry the team on his arm and I see no indication we can stop any team remaining on the schedule.

They may improve enough to pull out a couple of wins, but it won't be this week.

SC by 20+
ghostwhitehorse

Post by ghostwhitehorse »

Sid wrote:I like our chanches without the services of Porter Gustin. WHEN he is ejected and this is a certainty, you will see a much different sc defense. The Texas beat down speaks to this. The fact that this gorilla is even playing in the first half is a testament to the pac 12 and it’s biased love fest with all things trojans. Last Friday nights blatant (no-call) targeting fuckup will comeback to bite the dirtiest player in the Pac 12. Rest assured, the pirate chewed all kinds of ass including that of Larry Scott’s. Mr. Gustin WILL be under the microscope. You will see a completely different team once he is ejected. This is when things will get interesting....
A wannabe Sundevil playing for the Rubbers. . . usually it's the other way round. :?
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

blackjacker wrote:I don't think Tate can carry the team on his arm and I see no indication we can stop any team remaining on the schedule.

They may improve enough to pull out a couple of wins, but it won't be this week.

SC by 20+
It doesn't have to be because UA offense is not a threat even with Tate as QB this year.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

Only chance we win is USC has 5 turnovers and we have zero..even then, we'll need KT to have an out of body experience. I will be there to see it happen.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

I’m wondering if we see a decent amount of screens this game. I thought we would have seen way more screens and swings than what we have so far.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Game thread is up
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

USC knows Tate isn't winning the game through the air and everyone else knows it too. USC will stack the box and blitz and disrupt until they over power the OL and get to Tate.

USC will be head-hunting Tate for sure. I won't be a bit surprised if dirty cheap-shot artist Gustin doesn't take Khalil out of the game.

Clay Helton who is a subpar coach is desperate to keep his job because with a loss to Arizona, he won't finish the season as the HC.

Aside from what you hear, USC needs this game much more than Arizona. JT Daniels and his big fast WR's should have a field day against our smaller weaker DB's. This is one of the poorest coached and weakest USC teams in years, but man for man, we still can't match their talent.

USC by 2 TD's.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Gladiator Cat wrote:USC knows Tate isn't winning the game through the air and everyone else knows it too. USC will stack the box and blitz and disrupt until they over power the OL and get to Tate.

USC will be head-hunting Tate for sure. I won't be a bit surprised if dirty cheap-shot artist Gustin doesn't take Khalil out of the game.

Clay Helton who is a subpar coach is desperate to keep his job because with a loss to Arizona, he won't finish the season as the HC.

Aside from what you hear, USC needs this game much more than Arizona. JT Daniels and his big fast WR's should have a field day against our smaller weaker DB's. This is one of the poorest coached and weakest USC teams in years, but man for man, we still can't match their talent.

USC by 2 TD's.
I dont see how this a much needed game for Helton and USC. Regardless of their recent struggle, I dont see this game being a struggle unless UA coming out like bad out of hell on offense do what WSU did to them. USC and Rest of the Conference already knows that Tate isn't going to beat them with his arm. He not a Threat.
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

Gladiator Cat wrote:USC knows Tate isn't winning the game through the air and everyone else knows it too. USC will stack the box and blitz and disrupt until they over power the OL and get to Tate.

USC by 2 TD's.
Gustin crosses the line, Cats need to take him out hard.. He's drawn first blood numerous times, so zero leeway.
Think Cats can hit some quick patterns to loosen up the line, and open up some runs. Not impressed by their performance vs the Cougs. Division game and with lots of Cat players from So Cal, this will be a battle. If Cats play clean and plus on TO's, I like their chances. True Frosh QB on the road, 1st conference game, I'm hoping for a couple picks or fumbles.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

On the surface this is a game the cats let the fans down once again. Hope with a Heisman candidate at QB and a schedule where you miss the top 2 teams in the conference and you have most of your tough games at home. All signs point you a magical season but nooooo, not with AZ football.

The marketing of this game should be, "if you like letdowns, if you love to have your fan spirit crushed once more, come down to AZ stadium this Saturday night and watch our cats lay another giant turd"

No reason we can't or shouldn't win this game except that we are AZ football
Last edited by azcat49 on Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

azcat49 wrote:On the surface this is a game the cats let the fans down once again. Hope with a Heisman candidate at QB and a schedule where you miss the top 2 teams in the conference and you have most of your tough games at home. All signs point you a magical season but nooooo, not with AZ football.

The marketing of this game should be, "if you likenletdowns, if you love to have your fan spirit crushed once mire, come down to AZ stadium thus Saturday night and watch our cats lay another giant turd"

No reason we can't or shouldn't win thus game except that we are AZ football
Well if a certain someone didn't get fired over screwing another person that talk would of been possible? But a certain coach decide he was going to run this team his way and that magical season and a Darkhorse of a Candidate is flush out the window.

Anything can happen at Arizona. We saw that in 2014? Why can that not happen again.
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

cordera89 wrote:
azcat49 wrote:On the surface this is a game the cats let the fans down once again. Hope with a Heisman candidate at QB and a schedule where you miss the top 2 teams in the conference and you have most of your tough games at home. All signs point you a magical season but nooooo, not with AZ football.

The marketing of this game should be, "if you likenletdowns, if you love to have your fan spirit crushed once mire, come down to AZ stadium thus Saturday night and watch our cats lay another giant turd"

No reason we can't or shouldn't win thus game except that we are AZ football
Well if a certain someone didn't get fired over screwing another person that talk would of been possible? But a certain coach decide he was going to run this team his way and that magical season and a Darkhorse of a Candidate is flush out the window.

Anything can happen at Arizona. We saw that in 2014? Why can that not happen again.
I can't imagine watching a QB who doesn't want to run or get hit running RichRod's offense. If he didn't get fired, Tate would be without a doubt injured. We would still be bad and have very little hope of improvement so lets stop talking about him.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

I highly doubt that regardless Tate being alot better under last offensive system that got him where he at. Plus another year under him with Tate at QB? The passing game will open up alot more than just keep running him with a lot with other options. We will never know that. To say they will still suck if certain thing happen. We saw this same less talent team hit rock bottom of hitting 3 win to improve to 7 wins and improve to Nothing if he was still the coach.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

The D stepped it up in the 2nd half.

Kicking game though. woof.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Will their be any change at QB? Since Tate is still have ankle injuries?
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Just got back to my Holiday Inn Express...........I don't feel any smarter

Observations:

1) For what seems like the 100th year in a row our kicking game stinks

2) Have Mazzone/Sumlin ever heard of a Jumbo package for goal line situations??? Given our small RB's they may
want to consider adding it to their playbook..........2 additional OL's instead of our undersized tight ends and
then stick Boles/Johnson in the backfield ahead of the RB

3) Has Mazzone ever run a 5 WR set??? Once you determine you can't run the ball it would be nice to at least
spread out the defense and pull as many defenders downfield as possible.........opening up lanes for Tate to run in

4) We waited way too late to blitz on D

5) We ran way too many vanilla offensive formations.........especially on 3rd down. How many times did we line up with 3rd and
long with a 3 WR set and slowpoke Nunley in the backfield. We place very little pressure on opposing defenses.....see #3

6) We have the most undisciplined football team I have seen in a long long time. How many ineligible receiver penalties are we going
to have this year?? I said it a few weeks ago but we are looking like one of Dennis Ericksons asu teams without the talent

7) Good night....at least I get a free breakfast in the morning. The cinnamon rolls are excellent
Last edited by dmjcat on Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

dmjcat wrote:Just got back to my Holiday Inn Express...........I don't feel any smarter

Observations:

1) For what seems like the 100th year in a row our kicking game stinks

2) Have Mazzone/Sumlin ever heard of a Jumbo package for goal line situations??? Given our small RB's they may
want to consider adding it to their playbook..........2 additional OL's instead of our undersized tight ends and
then stick Boles/Johnson in the backfield ahead of the RB

3) Has Mazzone ever run a 5 WR set??? Once you determine you can't run the ball it would be nice to at least
spread out the defense and pull as many defenders downfield as possible.........opening up lanes for Tate to run in

4) We waited way too late to blitz on D

5) We ran way too many vanilla offensive formations.........especially on 3rd down. How many times did we line up with 3rd and
long with a 3 WR set and slowpoke Nunley in the backfield. We place very little pressure on opposing defenses.....see #3

6) We have the most undisciplined football team I have seen in a long long time. How many ineligible receiver penalties are we going
to have this year?? I said it a few weeks ago but we are looking like one of Dennis Ericksons asu teams without the talent

7) Good night....at least I get a free breakfast in the morning. The cinammon roles are excellent.
I agree with it all, except 6). USC is clearly even less disciplined than us. If it weren’t for their idiotic penalties they would have won by 24.

I did like our fight. But not a lot else. We need new coordinators ASAP.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

cordera89 wrote:Will their be any change at QB? Since Tate is still have ankle injuries?
"Ankle injuries" you mean.
Tatanka

Post by Tatanka »

Tate hasn’t been injured at all this season. It’s his excuse for his poor quarterbacking.