Pac12 Refs

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

PieceOfMeat

Pac12 Refs

Post by PieceOfMeat »

apparently "significant contact" means something different to them than it does to me.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

TheGreatCatsby

Re: Pac12 Refs

Post by TheGreatCatsby »

Helmet to helmet contact, targeting, decleating the guy...nothing to see here folks.
Last edited by TheGreatCatsby on Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

The worst part is that the crew probably felt "square" with Sumlin after giving him a "make-up call" by ejecting Hawkins on the onside kick.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

catgrad97 wrote:The worst part is that the crew probably felt "square" with Sumlin after giving him a "make-up call" by ejecting Hawkins on the onside kick.
speaking of that one, the ejection rule needs to change. that fucker on cal missed what, 10 seconds of the game? and only has to sit out the 1st half of his next game?
fuck that shit
he should miss an ENTIRE next game after that dirty hit.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

PieceOfMeat wrote:
catgrad97 wrote:The worst part is that the crew probably felt "square" with Sumlin after giving him a "make-up call" by ejecting Hawkins on the onside kick.
speaking of that one, the ejection rule needs to change. that fucker on cal missed what, 10 seconds of the game? and only has to sit out the 1st half of his next game?
fuck that shit
If you're going to be serious about a new rule designed to protect players from head injury, it has to be applied consistently.

Refs can take "significant contact" and shove it back up Larry Scott's headquarters.
ghostwhitehorse

Post by ghostwhitehorse »

catgrad97 wrote:
PieceOfMeat wrote:
fuck that shit
If you're going to be serious about a new rule designed to protect players from head injury, it has to be applied consistently.

Refs can take "significant contact" and shove it back up Larry Scott's hindquarters.
Fixed.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

I thought the first one was targeting. It satisfied all the requirements of the rule and should have been called. The second one was targeting as well, but I think Hawkins was just trying to make a play and forgot that he shouldn’t be lowering his head and launching. But that’s why the rule is there - you want players to get out of that frame of mind of trying to make the big blow-em-up hit. A few years back that hit would not have been flagged. It’s good that it is, though, because you can have those kind of hits or you can have football in 20 years but you can’t have both.
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

I think both of those were targeting and personally I think the second one was intentional and chicken shit. I'm with Meat and think he should miss an entire game.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I fell asleep and missed it, but this looks like a classic definition of targeting to me.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Yeah, that's the one that I had to make this thread about.
The other camer angle shows him lower that helmet into our guy's helmet, and i'd call that contact significant.

fuck you pac12 refs

Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

The only way I can rationalize that call is that replay guys were looking at the ball carrier and not the block.

I can see no other way that they came to that conclusion
blackjacker

Post by blackjacker »

Any video available on the hit on Poindexter?
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

Seemed like a good spot to put this...
Pretty pathetic but not surprising. The conference leadership is horrible and the university presidents need to start caring.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

That “third party” was Pac-12 general counsel and senior vice president of business affairs Woodie Dixon, Yahoo Sports sources have confirmed.

Dixon oversees football for the conference but is not a formally trained official. Dixon telephoned in his opinion that the play wasn’t targeting, sources said. According to the report, his opinion overruled both the trained officials in the stadium replay booth and in the league’s command center.
I, too, am not surprised.

I also have absolutely no doubt that this is not the first Pac-12 official's call to be influenced by a similar "third party."

The conference has a major, and severe, credibility issue driving fans away by the truckload.

Why don't the presidents start caring? That would require installing a strong commissioner, and they don't want that.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Hard to imagine they let that pass as even the untrained eye could see that. Late in the game their was a hit on the Wazzu QB that was not called and maybe this influenced that call
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
prh

Post by prh »

When asked after the game, Mike Leach said to ask Woodie Dixon about it.

Maybe this happens frequently and the coaches all know about it. Dixon's job isn't related to officiating at all so that is a weird person for Leach to mention unless he knows something.

At this point I'd be surprised if it doesn't happen all the time
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

DrWildcat wrote:Seemed like a good spot to put this...

Pretty pathetic but not surprising. The conference leadership is horrible and the university presidents need to start caring.
Good call. I put it over in the fire Larry Scott thread in Basketball arch rivals. Really the conference is cursed with this guy and the conference presidents seems to have some kind of battered wife syndrome to not be firing him.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Oh shit, this looks bad, we better do something, lol
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

fuck larry scott.

what a fucking joke, except it's not funny at all as the safety of players is involved.

how the fuck this ass clown still "leads" our conference boggles my mind.

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

The PAC manipulating who wins and who loses? Now where have I heard that before?

Good for Leach. Fuck Larry Scott and this cheating fucking conference.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

So I only got to watch some of the start of the colorado game on TV, but I did listen to the rest on the radio, and the guys on the radio were, shall we say, not a fan of the reffing in last night's game.

Just how bad was it to those who got to watch it all the way through?

scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I felt like a lot of the penalties were valid, there were just so many. I think we had at least 6 or 7 defensive holding or PI calls against us.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

What bugged me was that many of our defensive holding and PI calls were on the same play as (and sometimes in direct correlation to) our d-line getting held like crazy. Montez had time to wait for guys to get open and our DBs had to hold, claw, and interfere just to stop big plays. So I’m seeing flags fly and thinking it was because their o-line had our guys in literal headlocks and the call was actually on someone grabbing a WR’s sleeve. Pretty frustrating.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

Fans were going apeshit in the stadium. Ok I was. :twisted:

Yes, the holding against our d-line was egregious and led directly to two PI calls. You guys at home had a better view than us, but it felt like on at least a couple PI calls there was either no or minimal contact. And for once, our dbs were getting their heads turns around to the ball. Conversely, their dbs were manhandling our receivers and no call. Fortunately our guys often made the catch despite having their dbs draped all over them.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

ByJoveByJingle wrote:Fans were going apeshit in the stadium. Ok I was. :twisted:

Yes, the holding against our d-line was egregious and led directly to two PI calls. You guys at home had a better view than us, but it felt like on at least a couple PI calls there was either no or minimal contact. And for once, our dbs were getting their heads turns around to the ball. Conversely, their dbs were manhandling our receivers and no call. Fortunately our guys often made the catch despite having their dbs draped all over them.
Yeah the PI calls particularly were mentioned as pretty bad by the radio guys. Even when they saw the replay they still mentioned them being bad.

tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

You could make a case for a couple of the PI calls but several were what I call ticky tacky. They really had no influence on the outcome of the play other than the first down and yardage awarded for the penalty. Its very frustrating when it appeared we had stopped a drive and another penalty gave it new life.
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

OSU Dline just got called for a delay of game penalty for shifting and making the USC Oline jump. I know for sure I've never seen that before.
Mike Luke's burner account.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

KillerKlown wrote:OSU Dline just got called for a delay of game penalty for shifting and making the USC Oline jump. I know for sure I've never seen that before.
WSU has been called for that a number of times and I think Arizona has been called for that one time.
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

azgreg wrote:
KillerKlown wrote:OSU Dline just got called for a delay of game penalty for shifting and making the USC Oline jump. I know for sure I've never seen that before.
WSU has been called for that a number of times and I think Arizona has been called for that one time.
I've seen it called for vocally manipulating the snap count but for shifting? I guess i don't remember but that is sully for a rule.
Mike Luke's burner account.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

ghostwhitehorse

Post by ghostwhitehorse »

No notes.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Both horrendous calls (end of half & phantom roughing the passer) cost each teams points so they were both equally as bad.

Pac 12 refs are the most consistent officiating crew in the land...consistently awful.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

ghostwhitehorse wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 6:13 pm
The foul called was "unsportmanlike conduct", NOT "roughing the passer"....
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

After Riley went ballistic at the half, USC was not flagged in the second half and we had the above call go against us and the PI on CRW which was as bad as I have seen. Riley should have been flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

pc in NM wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 9:38 am
ghostwhitehorse wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 6:13 pm
The foul called was "unsportmanlike conduct", NOT "roughing the passer"....
There you go. Az coaches pulling our guy away after he said something stupid. Good call.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

Holy shit they suck so bad. Fuck the PAC-12
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Making up new rules today
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

And certain posters want to stay in the PAC. This has been going for decades. Remember Richie Ballesteros and ??? the refs who had personal vendettas against Lute?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

People who think we'll get better refs in another conference are hilarious. Fans of teams in other conferences think they have the worst refs as well.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Guess they got it right, although I have never seen it called.