Arizona @ Washington State Discussion

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

scumdevils86

Arizona @ Washington State Discussion

Post by scumdevils86 »

Long range forecast shows it being about 40 and raining in the palouse for Saturday the 17th. Sounds about right.

Not sure if we find out the kickoff time tomorrow or next week. I'm sure we'll lose but who knows, we've had some weird games with the cougs the last 5 years.
azcat49

Re: Arizona @ Washington State Discussion

Post by azcat49 »

If we can keep running the ball like we have, maybe we can keep their offense off the gield. If it's wet you would think that might benefit us.

The coug's do seem to "coug" a game every year and so far (pending the California game) that have not done that yet.

Their passing game will stress our inexperienced corners so this one is a tough one to call but we have played well lately so we have a punches chance
Last edited by azcat49 on Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Sidewinder

Post by Sidewinder »

I'm looking forward to being there. Hopefully the weather isn't too miserable.
"Yeah, well, I always heard there were three kinds of suns in kansas: sunshine, sunflowers, and sons-of-bitches"
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

this right here is what I'd call a big game.

Given everything that's happened in Sumlin's first year, this is a very big game.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Arizona needs to play really, really well but they also likely will need a little help from Wazzu. When the Cougs are clicking, they’re hard to beat. This is the game where we find out just where the secondary is at. I’m expecting to see AZ play a ton of press coverage. They’ve been doing that more and more as the season goes on, but if you give an air raid team ten yards of cushion they’ll just dink and dunk you to death all night. A couple of picks could go a long way in this one.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I guess we won't know the kickoff time till next Sunday
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

PHXCATS wrote:
Can you chime in and let us in on the secret. I'm seeing nothing but TBD.
Mike Luke's burner account.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

KillerKlown wrote: Can you chime in and let us in on the secret. I'm seeing nothing but TBD.
12 days before. Will be announced tomorrow like usual in all likelyhood. I dont think the networks have any 6 day windows left
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

PHXCATS wrote: 12 days before. Will be announced tomorrow like usual in all likelyhood. I dont think the networks have any 6 day windows left
Okay. Thanks.
Mike Luke's burner account.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

They have a 12 selection process for this game
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

machina, don't derail another thread.

asuhater, keep politics in political forum.

I deleted several posts in this thread. I dislike doing that. don't make me do it again.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

EVCat

Post by EVCat »

This is that rare game where trying to dial up pressure on the QB at the expense of defenders in coverage is usually a death sentence. The ball is gone before you get to the QB.

This game is 100% about maintaining position integrity and making the tackle on first contact. A push up the middle by the DL with normal rush numbers would be very much appreciated. But that is the secret to virtually every game.

We need early success. Martin may only hold 17 people, but they are all on top of you and the sound goes nowhere. If we are down early, or backed up against the endzone, it will be deafening.

Tackle. TACKLE. Don't take aggressive angles and miss. Keep them in front of you. They WILL rack up yardage. Their offense is not as effective in limited space (true for every offense, I suppose). If they move between the 20s, OK. They will do that. But the angles taken to tackle cannot be reckless. That got us in trouble early vs Utah. Pin them in, hold them up, and make sure a 2 yard pass isn't a 50 yard play because you wanted to hit them for a loss and got juked in open space. There is some risk management application here. They count on over-aggressive defenses getting frustrated.

I am pretty certain we lose, and if we miss tackles and go 3 and out early, we are likely to lose by a lot. But the results around the PAC-South should prove that there are no certain wins or losses. We have a week to get healthy. Get after it...
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

our offense will need to score early and often, force their offense to take risks to keep up, then capitalize
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

UALoco wrote:our offense will need to score early and often, force their offense to take risks to keep up, then capitalize
We're going to need to win the TO battle as well, maybe by +2.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Yup. Awful. Doubt I'll stay up till after midnight to watch this.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

It's gonna be God damn freezing that late in the Palouse.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

No snow or rain forecast. During the game it'll probably be in the upper 30s or around 40
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
HaCats

Post by HaCats »

Why do you constantly post on this message board dedicated to Arizona football, when you constantly claim you can’t be bothered to even watch the games? You care enough....to post constantly about your apathy. It’s a very odd dynamic. If UofA football bores you and disappoints you do much, totally fine. But then stop continually posting about it here, I don’t think anyone who reads this board is confused about your position on the topic. WE GET IT ALREADY!

And i’ll throw in a little counter to your position. While you sit around this week half not caring and half knowing that the end result in Pullman will disappoint you, I am going to spend the week obsessing about the game and dreaming about what could be....if we win. And yes there’s a high likelihood I’ll be crushed come midnight Saturday.....that is the beauty of living and dying with your beloved alma mater’s team. I wouldn’t trade it for anything.

To each their own.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

That late game in Pullman late in the year is the worst. Have to bus back to Spokane to catch the charter then a 3 hour flight back. They won't get home until 6am or so.

If it's too hot in AZ to play September games then it should be a rule when you go to Wazzu and your from the south division that a Game can't be played after dark
Last edited by azcat49 on Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
HaCats

Post by HaCats »

And yes, from our team’s perspective.....this kick time is a kick to the junk. Never seem to be able to catch a break. The one good thing is that thankfully the scummies are also kicking at 8:30 in Eugene....so they’ve got almost an equally taxing Sunday waiting for them too prior to the Duel.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

HaCats wrote:Why do you constantly post on this message board dedicated to Arizona football, when you constantly claim you can’t be bothered to even watch the games? You care enough....to post constantly about your apathy. It’s a very odd dynamic. If UofA football bores you and disappoints you do much, totally fine. But then stop continually posting about it here, I don’t think anyone who reads this board is confused about your position on the topic. WE GET IT ALREADY!

And i’ll throw in a little counter to your position. While you sit around this week half not caring and half knowing that the end result in Pullman will disappoint you, I am going to spend the week obsessing about the game and dreaming about what could be....if we win. And yes there’s a high likelihood I’ll be crushed come midnight Saturday.....that is the beauty of living and dying with your beloved alma mater’s team. I wouldn’t trade it for anything.

To each their own.
:roll:
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

HaCats wrote:And yes, from our team’s perspective.....this kick time is a kick to the junk. Never seem to be able to catch a break. The one good thing is that thankfully the scummies are also kicking at 8:30 in Eugene....so they’ve got almost an equally taxing Sunday waiting for them too prior to the Duel.
I think you're kidding yourself if you think the trip back from eugene is as taxing as the trip back from pullman

azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

PieceOfMeat wrote:
HaCats wrote:And yes, from our team’s perspective.....this kick time is a kick to the junk. Never seem to be able to catch a break. The one good thing is that thankfully the scummies are also kicking at 8:30 in Eugene....so they’ve got almost an equally taxing Sunday waiting for them too prior to the Duel.
I think you're kidding yourself if you think the trip back from eugene is as taxing as the trip back from pullman
It ain't, but they're not gonna be getting home too much sooner than Arizona will.
HaCats

Post by HaCats »

My entire family is from eastern WA, I’m aware of the difficulty of traveling back from Pullman and that it is more intense than travel back from Eugene. My point was.....at least asu has a late night road game that they have to travel back from. Instead of a having a day time home game in tempe on Saturday.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

HaCats wrote:Why do you constantly post on this message board dedicated to Arizona football, when you constantly claim you can’t be bothered to even watch the games? You care enough....to post constantly about your apathy. It’s a very odd dynamic. If UofA football bores you and disappoints you do much, totally fine. But then stop continually posting about it here, I don’t think anyone who reads this board is confused about your position on the topic. WE GET IT ALREADY!

To each their own.

scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

When your only company on this board is machina, you know you're in the wrong.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

To each their own.
Here here.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

Looks like a late night football watch party on Saturday...If it is close, I'll be up and cheering for my Cats. At least we have a bye going into this game.

If the team can't bounce back for a home game vs ASU, they don't want it bad enough.

Also, thanks to USC for choking against Cal..the door is halfway open. I know the chances are slim to none, but we've seen weirder things than the Buffs taking out the Utes this weekend.
cats101

Post by cats101 »

WSU 41-28
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

Talked to two Coug alum up in Seattle today..both said the same thing: it is the right time for the team to 'Coug' it and lay an egg, especially reading their own headlines and looking ahead to UW.

..so you're saying there's a chance..
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

threenumberones wrote:Talked to two Coug alum up in Seattle today..both said the same thing: it is the right time for the team to 'Coug' it and lay an egg, especially reading their own headlines and looking ahead to UW.

Coug fans are very similar to Cat fans...just waiting for the wheels to fall off.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

UALoco wrote:
threenumberones wrote:Talked to two Coug alum up in Seattle today..both said the same thing: it is the right time for the team to 'Coug' it and lay an egg, especially reading their own headlines and looking ahead to UW.

Coug fans are very similar to Cat fans...just waiting for the wheels to fall off.
Yet they've gotten to enjoy 2 conference titles and 2 Rose Bowls in the last 20 or so years.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
cats101

Post by cats101 »

Well, WSU is probably the toughest job in the conference, even below OSU. Just shows the job Mike Leach has done. No clue how they've gotten so lucky with coaches.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Mike Price also put 5 QBs into the NFL during the PAC-10 era when Arizona had none.

Foles is the only UA QB to take a snap in the NFL since UA was in the WAC.

Unless you are an avid fisherman like Mark Few, or a hunter, skier or anyone who enjoys snows, no idea why anyone would prefer eastern WA over southern AZ.

Tucson is more urban, has prettier girls, and a more active entertainment scene than the Palouse. UA also has better academics than WSU.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Merkin wrote:Mike Price also put 5 QBs into the NFL during the PAC-10 era when Arizona had none.

Unless you are an avid fisherman like Mark Few, or a hunter, skier or anyone who enjoys snows, no idea why anyone would prefer eastern WA over southern AZ.

Tucson is more urban, has prettier girls, and a more active entertainment scene than the Palouse. UA also has better academics than WSU.
Fan support is a factor
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

PHXCATS wrote:
Merkin wrote:Mike Price also put 5 QBs into the NFL during the PAC-10 era when Arizona had none.

Fan support is a factor

Martin Stadium is the smallest stadium in the PAC. WSU reduced stadium size to 32,952 from 35,117 for the 2014 season.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Merkin wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:

Fan support is a factor

Martin Stadium is the smallest stadium in the PAC. WSU reduced stadium size to 32,952 from 35,117 for the 2014 season.
if AZ did that we'd have 100% sellouts and a waiting list for tickets.

Maybe then phoechina would be happy since we'd be at capacity every game.

PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Merkin wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:

Fan support is a factor

Cool story. They also have huge fan support in the area and sell out or come very close to it ever game. Did you see gameday there? It was probably the wildest and biggest one ever
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Players go to programs for the coaches, for opportunity in a program that will get them to the next level, or will get them what they want/need.

If it was about location and weather, Hawaii would be national champs 100 years running. Michigan would lose every game.

If it was about attendance for a particular year, ASU would never pull a 4 star, Stanford would never win a game, and Tennessee would win the SEC every year.

Recruits don't really look at the things fans think they do...not with a lot of weight. Who is recruiting me, who was here first, who do I trust, where can I play, if I have a chance at the NFL, who is going to get me there, how far from home, what are my friends and family saying...all more impact than attendance percentages after a few rough seasons and weather.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

scumdevils86 wrote:When your only company on this board is machina, you know you're in the wrong.
How was he in the wrong?

Passionate fan who looks forward to the game, doesn't understand why someone who is lukewarm on the team feels the need to let everyone know...

How in the world could that be "in the wrong" on a team fan site?

Different from your opinion (does not equal) wrong.

To compare his post to the issue of that particular poster just because there was a supporting comment to OP is ridiculous.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

EVCat wrote:If it was about location and weather, Hawaii would be national champs 100 years running. Michigan would lose every game..
Just a side note, agree with your assessment, but SDSU and UCLA have much better weather than UH. My daughter lives on Oahu, and she can't wait to leave in March. She says it is hot and humid every single day. Even ntOSU and UW have better football weather.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

It could be argued that Football program success is inversely proportional to quality of weather and climate.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

EVCat wrote:Players go to programs for the coaches, for opportunity in a program that will get them to the next level, or will get them what they want/need.

If it was about location and weather, Hawaii would be national champs 100 years running. Michigan would lose every game.

If it was about attendance for a particular year, ASU would never pull a 4 star, Stanford would never win a game, and Tennessee would win the SEC every year.

Recruits don't really look at the things fans think they do...not with a lot of weight. Who is recruiting me, who was here first, who do I trust, where can I play, if I have a chance at the NFL, who is going to get me there, how far from home, what are my friends and family saying...all more impact than attendance percentages after a few rough seasons and weather.
You make a very good point. Reasons why a recruit goes to a particular school is very rarely for only one reason. Maybe if they live super close to that school or they are a legacy then there could be only one reason. But here is a list of reasons why a recruit goes to a school.

Coaching
Relationships
Playing time
Chance to win
History
NFL linage
Exposure

No school in the country has all of these things but some have a lot more than others and those are the schools that win and win often. Bama, Ohio State, Michigan, Clemson. None have location and not all have playing time but they have every other box. That is why I harp so much on Fan Support. That is the one area us fans can control 100%. Coaching and Exposure we factor into a bit but cannot control fully. Is it gonna make UA win the conference every year, of course not, but is it gonna help turn a few goods kids away from USC UCLA, asu, Cal, Texas Tech, etc and go to UA to help win, absolutely.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

Build it and they will come. Those programs are rabidly supported because they win. Much like Arizona basketball. Winning for a long period builds a program faith equity with the fans, so if there is a dry spell, the fans will continue to attend . . . for some time. Arizona fans supported the Stoops teams with a disproportionate amount of attendance relative to wins. That attendance wasn’t supported by an increasingly winning program. And now fans take a wait and see approach. I don’t blame them for it. I do agree that constantly harping on the state of the program is strange and a good way to kill any enjoyment left in following college football.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

ByJoveByJingle wrote:Build it and they will come. Those programs are rabidly supported because they win. Much like Arizona basketball. Winning for a long period builds a program faith equity with the fans, so if there is a dry spell, the fans will continue to attend . . . for some time. Arizona fans supported the Stoops teams with a disproportionate amount of attendance relative to wins. That attendance wasn’t supported by an increasingly winning program. And now fans take a wait and see approach. I don’t blame them for it. I do agree that constantly harping on the state of the program is strange and a good way to kill any enjoyment left in following college football.
When you say build it and they will come, you are speaking the truth.

But the journey for the coaching state and athletic department is much much much harder without the fan support. The money that comes in, the exposure created and the support the fans give the current and future potential coaching staff and players all make that job much easier.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Back on topic, I have this growing feeling that the cats play well and get win #6 this week. Lots of pressure on Wazzu and they could get caught looking ahead to the Apple cup.
Last edited by azcat49 on Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

azcat49 wrote:Back on topic, I have this growing feeling that the cats play well and get win #6 this week. Lots of pressure on Wazzu and the could get caught looking ahead to the Apple cup.
Really hope you are right here. I do think UA keeps it close the entire game.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

azcat49 wrote:Back on topic, I have this growing feeling that the cats play well and get win #6 this week. Lots of pressure on Wazzu and they could get caught looking ahead to the Apple cup.
I feel the same J