Let's just call the whole thing off.

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Carcassdragger

Let's just call the whole thing off.

Post by Carcassdragger »

Our uniforms look like shit. Our recruiting class looks like shit. Our team looks like shit. Our program is shit.

What's the point?

Let's just disband the program and start a wrestling team again.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
Siempre Verde

Re: Let's just call the whole thing off.

Post by Siempre Verde »

Carcassdragger wrote:Our uniforms look like shit. Our recruiting class looks like shit. Our team looks like shit. Our program is shit.

What's the point?

Actually, how about Men’s soccer?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Siempre Verde wrote:
Carcassdragger wrote:Our uniforms look like shit. Our recruiting class looks like shit. Our team looks like shit. Our program is shit.

What's the point?

UCSB dropped men's football a number of years ago and men's soccer is huge. When UCSB soccer comes up to Cal Poly, students line up for tickets and quickly sells out. Don't think the Cal Poly football team has sold out in quite some time.

Soccer only has 9.9 scholarships too, instead of 85 for football.

Men's mixed rifle is an official NCAA sport too.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

Merkin wrote:
Siempre Verde wrote:

What's the point?

UCSB dropped men's football a number of years ago and men's soccer is huge. When UCSB soccer comes up to Cal Poly, students line up for tickets and quickly sells out. Don't think the Cal Poly football team has sold out in quite some time.

Which part is mixed? Their rifles, or their manliness?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I have followed Arizona football since my Junior year in high school (80-81) and I've never been more down on the program then I am now.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

It's like Sumlin is intentionally trying to lose so he can collect the $10M the UA would owe him.

Consistently losing should be a valid reason to be fired "with cause".

How about women's rifle?

ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

azgreg wrote:I have followed Arizona football since my Junior year in high school (80-81) and I've never been more down on the program then I am now.
The Mackovick years were the worst for me. I made the mistake of coming to watch us play LSU. That was true hopelessness. Our wide receivers would shift sides of the field pre-snap and fall over while reversing. Couldn’t even get the ball snapped without some fuckery. I mean, coaches punching each other on the sidelines is bad, but an absolute player mutiny is a whole other level. That’s Arizona football.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

Merkin wrote:
I’m coming around on the idea.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

The worst for me was the Pigskin Classic v. Joe Pa.

Thought the program was on the rise, and Tomey didn't have the team prepared at all, nor was he willing and able to go after good recruits.

I knew that was the beginning of the end of my hopes for UA football and have been "meh" on the program ever since.

Although I was pretty high on Mackovic, he was COY in 3 different conferences, and was an offensive genius compared the the staid pooch punt QB draw offense of Tomey.

Also excited about RichRod, since according to all accounts he got a raw deal at UM. Same with Sumlin and aTm. But having Pat White at WVU, and Johnny Manziel at aTm did skew things for them.

No more fired head coaches ever in any program.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

What's the point?

We need to start thinking outside the box if we want to have consistent success.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

ByJoveByJingle wrote:
azgreg wrote:I have followed Arizona football since my Junior year in high school (80-81) and I've never been more down on the program then I am now.
The Mackovick years were the worst for me. I made the mistake of coming to watch us play LSU. That was true hopelessness. Our wide receivers would shift sides of the field pre-snap and fall over while reversing. Couldn’t even get the ball snapped without some fuckery. I mean, coaches punching each other on the sidelines is bad, but an absolute player mutiny is a whole other level. That’s Arizona football.
The Mackovick era was bad, no doubt about it. The difference for me though I I believed Arizona could get over that pretty quickly then and I felt early on in the Stoops era we did. I don't feel that way now. With Sumlin's buyout, Arizona's bad athletic leadership (Heeke and Robbins), and boosters reportedly bailing at an alarming rate I don't see a light at the end of the tunnel.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

SCCats wrote:

What's the point?

We need to start thinking outside the box if we want to have consistent success.

Looking back I wonder if Coach Ken was that guy. Someone who got the most out of teams that are always physically mismatched. Plus Poly roots. Coach Tomey was trying to tell us.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

UAEebs86 wrote:
SCCats wrote:

What's the point?

Looking back I wonder if Coach Ken was that guy. Someone who got the most out of teams that are always physically mismatched. Plus Poly roots. Coach Tomey was trying to tell us.
i was a Ken N guy. However, I have zero credibility on coaches anymore. I was on board with every hire post Tomey. Happier with some more than others, but still happy with every hire.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I saw the first 5minutes of the third quarter last night and then switched it off to watch Celtic woman on pbs.

Didn’t even check the final score this am.

Yes I’m nearing 40. Wife also bought me sweatpants recently.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

CalStateTempe wrote:
I saw the first 5minutes of the third quarter last night and then switched it off to watch Celtic woman on pbs.

The baggy, loose, I’m a bum look? Or the I’m too cool to look sloppy even when I’m dressing down look? There are some nice options for the latter these days.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I asked for number two, it got number one in the form of puma. At least a step up from champion and the draw strings on the ankles.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

UAEebs86 wrote:
SCCats wrote:

What's the point?

This is spot on. He also told us to “be careful what you wish for”
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

azgreg wrote:
ByJoveByJingle wrote:
The Mackovick era was bad, no doubt about it. The difference for me though I I believed Arizona could get over that pretty quickly then and I felt early on in the Stoops era we did. I don't feel that way now. With Sumlin's buyout, Arizona's bad athletic leadership (Heeke and Robbins), and boosters reportedly bailing at an alarming rate I don't see a light at the end of the tunnel.

I heard Heeke had recently raised 20m from boosters so not sure what is accurate and what isn’t
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azcat49 wrote:I heard Heeke had recently raised 20m from boosters so not sure what is accurate and what isn’t
I had heard on another site that there were some booster defections then this morning (after my post) I read were that there is some booster support rolling back in. I don't know. It's so frustrating.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Also excited about RichRod, since according to all accounts he got a raw deal at UM. Same with Sumlin and aTm.
What make you think Sumlin had a raw deal at Texas A&M? He was 51-25 in 6 season. That not a Raw Deal. Expectation was high and He didnt meet expectation and plus his last 4 season were all 8-5 season
But having Pat White at WVU
Just because he Pat White, Denard Robinson and Khalil Tate didn't say every school overlook them He recruited them as QB and was successful with them.
, and Johnny Manziel at aTm
Sumlin had it made with Maniziel after two season, Look at the other QB after Maniziel?
did skew things for them.

No more fired head coaches ever in any program.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ByJoveByJingle wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:

The baggy, loose, I’m a bum look? Or the I’m too cool to look sloppy even when I’m dressing down look? There are some nice options for the latter these days.

Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

It's time to put this dog down.

It's the humane thing to do at this point.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I would LOVE it if we got rid of football. I have no capacity for ignoring the Territorial Cup game, so the only way to eliminate the pain is to eliminate the program. Beating ASU is the only thing we have left, and we can't even do that anymore.

It's too bad Ultimate frisbee is just a club sport. That would be a great replacement for the scale of the football field.

So we should probably just tear down the football stadium and poor salt on the foundations. Might provide an eventual site for a replacement for a new McKale Center.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Merkin wrote:
Siempre Verde wrote:

What's the point?

What's the reason behind not having a men's soccer team at Arizona? I mean a real program, not a club.

Also, here's how you make soccer a better sport and draw fans for college teams:

Make goals worth 6 points, and have them kick an extra point after every goal, doing it like a penalty shot.
George Costanza

Post by George Costanza »

Merkin wrote:
ByJoveByJingle wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:

If it were socially acceptable I would drape myself in velvet.

Just remember, it's not a lie if you believe it.