2022 Recruit/Commitment Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

aznavcat

Re: 2022 Recruit/Commitment Thread

Post by aznavcat »

JF just proved that you can attract a class of talented football recruits to Tucson. All we've heard over the years were excuses by our former HCs why they couldn't recruit. Well JF and our other coaches just proved them wrong and set a new recruiting bar. And that's after a 1-11 season! If Fisch leaves, the hard work and zeal he puts into recruiting needs to be the new HC standard. Bravo "off-season" JF. Bravo.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Alieberman wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:59 pm Do we know what year it was the last time a head coach from AZ left because he wasn't fired?
Larry Smith, who was the football coach when I was a student, back when it was a football school.

Smith was heading the Cats towards the Rose Bowl when USC came calling.

Don't get me started on the rest about Smith.
Sid

Post by Sid »

New Jedi transfer tweet just now…
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Here we go.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Larry Smith/86

Agreed on all points Harvey. It might be wifespeak but she sounded tired of the constant moves and they sure seem to be enjoying the sunshine.

His love for all things Spurrier might warrant a look at Florida if he has that kind of success and at that point we will be elated at our fortunes under him
Last edited by azcat49 on Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

azcat49 wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:50 pm Larry Smith

Agreed on all points Harvey. It might be wifespeak but she sounded tired of the constant moves and they sure seem to be enjoying the sunshine.

His love for all things Spurrier might warrant a look at Florida if he has that kind of success and at that point we will be elated at our fortunes under him

That's what I was thinking too. She's got to be tired of having to move the kids to a new town and school every 2 years.

And if mama ain't happy, nobody's happy.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

azgreg wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:39 pm Here we go.
If Fisch actually manages to recruit a couple of serviceable offensive lineman out of the portal I am going to start referring to him as:

Jedi Fisch :lol:

Don't laugh.....the force does appear to be with him
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

UAEebs86 wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:14 pm
azcat49 wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:50 pm Larry Smith

That's what I was thinking too. She's got to be tired of having to move the kids to a new town and school every 2 years.

And if mama ain't happy, nobody's happy.
Mama might be happier if Papa wasn’t the lowest paid coach in the conference.

Just food for thought after Year 3 if he’s got us on the right track on the field.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
AV8RCAT

Post by AV8RCAT »

Alieberman wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:59 pm Are we really worrying about an AZ football coach being too successful that he is being recruited elsewhere?

Really?

Do we know what year it was the last time a head coach from AZ left because he wasn't fired?
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Can we please stop opening up old wounds.

Sincerely,

Us old farts who were around then and knew that was our best chance to get to the Rose Bowl.
CopaCat

Post by CopaCat »

Hopefully we get Tommy Brown and Cade Bennett(from Scottsdale and will only be a Sophomore this coming year). Bennett didn't play much at Okie St but had a nice offer list out of High School. If Fisch could pull that off we might need to erect a statue of him next to Button Salmon. Second thought save that for when he wins us the Rose Bowl.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

You can’t convince me that’s not the guy who tiled my basement shower.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

4 star DLineman formerly at UCLA and with offers last year from literally everywhere.
CopaCat

Post by CopaCat »

Chicat wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:46 pm
4 star DLineman formerly at UCLA and with offers last year from literally everywhere.

Looks like the Nansen hire is paying dividends. Build them lines Jedd.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Chicat wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:46 pm 4 star DLineman formerly at UCLA and with offers last year from literally everywhere.
Not just a commitment, actually played a little this year.
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

Alieberman wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:59 pm Are we really worrying about an AZ football coach being too successful that he is being recruited elsewhere?

Really?

Do we know what year it was the last time a head coach from AZ left because he wasn't fired?
Pop McKale
Fred Enke (sorta)
Tex Oliver
Mike Casteel
Darrell Mudra
Jim Young
Larry Smith
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Scheers article had an interesting statement from the UA football recruiting coordinator. It just under scores that college football recruiting has mutated into Free Agency due to the transfer portal. Fortunately, this staff seems to have adapted to it better than others

"Arizona continues to rebuild its roster and has taken a significant step in adding talent as Director of Player Personnel Matt Doherty said the Wildcats would.

“This is going to be all the way up until August," Doherty said. "This is going to be all the way up until the start of fall camp and that’s not just us, it’s every college football team. Talent acquisition has changed drastically, so you can’t just hold serve and say this is going to be our 2022 team. It’s going to be a march right up to the starting line in terms of fall camp and August. We will evaluate whatever comes down the pike and act accordingly.”
Sid

Post by Sid »

CopaCat wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:01 pm

Two things. 1.) The Jedi just kicked Lincoln Riley’s ass, sc wanted him bad!
2.) The Polynesian pipeline is back!!!
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Sid wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:34 am
CopaCat wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:01 pm

Two things. 1.) The Jedi just kicked Lincoln Riley’s ass, sc wanted him bad!
2.) The Polynesian pipeline is back!!!
This was Nansen. We only got him to UCLA because of Nansen. Supposedly when we hired our replacement DL coach, he wouldn't even answer the calls from the new guy
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Glad to see the UA out in front of this:
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

I'm thinking scholarship limits matter less now because if student athletes can get a good deal, they can pay tuition themselves. Can this be right?
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:51 pm You can’t convince me that’s not the guy who tiled my basement shower.
I'm not sure we can convince a guy with a mullet/moustache combo like that to leave the South, but that might just be my stereotype brain.

Say what you want about Fisch, and I certainly have, he definitely seems to understand what you have to do in the modern football landscape as Arizona. He's recruited hard in HS and also positioned us as a transfer option for kids unhappy about PT or who had coaches leave on them like De Laura or Savea.

That's 100% right because Arizona Football has to maximize all opportunities, especially with the roster he was left. The immediate eligibility change for first time transfers lets you build much faster than you could.
cerec_cat

Post by cerec_cat »

I really don't understand some of these transfers though. If a player is really that great, unless it is a coaching change or wants to upgrade the team he is on, why transfer? Don't they expect some competition?
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:01 am
Chicat wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:51 pm You can’t convince me that’s not the guy who tiled my basement shower.
I'm not sure we can convince a guy with a mullet/moustache combo like that to leave the South, but that might just be my stereotype brain.

Say what you want about Fisch, and I certainly have, he definitely seems to understand what you have to do in the modern football landscape as Arizona. He's recruited hard in HS and also positioned us as a transfer option for kids unhappy about PT or who had coaches leave on them like De Laura or Savea.

That's 100% right because Arizona Football has to maximize all opportunities, especially with the roster he was left. The immediate eligibility change for first time transfers lets you build much faster than you could.
He certainly looks like he goes by 2 hyphenated first names, but this kid is from So CA and went to Mater Dei.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

cerec_cat wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:15 am I really don't understand some of these transfers though. If a player is really that great, unless it is a coaching change or wants to upgrade the team he is on, why transfer? Don't they expect some competition?
have you ever accepted a job and within a week or so realized you made a huge error?
cerec_cat

Post by cerec_cat »

azgreg wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:28 am
cerec_cat wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:15 am I really don't understand some of these transfers though. If a player is really that great, unless it is a coaching change or wants to upgrade the team he is on, why transfer? Don't they expect some competition?
have you ever accepted a job and within a week or so realized you made a huge error?
Believe my I am very happy with the transfers, but it seems like some of these players ( and I am not only talking about our school), could have probably beat out the new players coming in.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

have you ever accepted a job and within a few months to a couple years realized you made a huge error?
Fify
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

cerec_cat wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:34 am
Believe my I am very happy with the transfers, but it seems like some of these players ( and I am not only talking about our school), could have probably beat out the new players coming in.
There are all kinds of reasons to transfer. Social (girlfriend goes to a different school, homesick), economic (family can’t afford to travel to see you play or NIL opportunities), academic (current school doesn’t offer a program or won’t set them up for life after football), and athletic (scheme, S&C, competition, exposure, coaching, etc).

I would be willing to bet that for a lot of these kids there are a mix of reasons where transferring becomes the best option.
cerec_cat

Post by cerec_cat »

Ha, I am self employed, but there are a lot of times I wish I could move on to other things.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

In our case the guys we added for the most part make sense
Echols - Coaching change
De Laura - Coaching change, new OC brining in his guy
Savae - Position coach came to AZ(writing on the wall they want the HC out)
Cowing - looking for more competition, allegedly family constraints keeping him close to home in Phx.
Warnell - Not sure what happened here, may be because he meshed with the UCLA coaches we hired, maybe fit, maybe the Kelly hot seat
Solomon - This could have been because he didn't like the defensive schemes after Brown left and think he can find those schemes here in AZ
Last edited by gronk4heisman on Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:42 am
There are all kinds of reasons to transfer. Social (girlfriend goes to a different school, homesick), economic (family can’t afford to travel to see you play or NIL opportunities), academic (current school doesn’t offer a program or won’t set them up for life after football), and athletic (scheme, S&C, competition, exposure, coaching, etc).

I would be willing to bet that for a lot of these kids there are a mix of reasons where transferring becomes the best option.
Yes. If you go to any P5 school, you were a big star in HS. All of a sudden, you're homesick and sitting the bench. Maybe a position coach leaves.

I went to HS in Las Vegas and wasn't really ready for a cold weather college. Snow was fun the first couple times for the novelty, then I remember freezing my ass off and hating it. Sometimes it's even as simple as weather playing a role. Fans underrate the basic human factors because they can view players solely as commodities through the lens of playing time.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:14 am
Chicat wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:42 am

Yes. If you go to any P5 school, you were a big star in HS. All of a sudden, you're homesick and sitting the bench. Maybe a position coach leaves.

I went to HS in Las Vegas and wasn't really ready for a cold weather college. Snow was fun the first couple times for the novelty, then I remember freezing my ass off and hating it. Sometimes it's even as simple as weather playing a role. Fans underrate the basic human factors because they can view players solely as commodities through the lens of playing time.
My wife transferred from Indiana University to Arizona because her freshman year roommate was from LA and ended up hating the cold. The roommate transferred to UA for 2nd semester freshman year and then every time they talked she begged my wife to transfer there too. So she did, we met, and 25 years later we’ve got two kids a dog and a mortgage (unfortunately in Indiana, not in Tucson but oh well…).
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:42 am My wife transferred from Indiana University to Arizona because her freshman year roommate was from LA and ended up hating the cold. The roommate transferred to UA for 2nd semester freshman year and then every time they talked she begged my wife to transfer there too. So she did, we met, and 25 years later we’ve got two kids a dog and a mortgage (unfortunately in Indiana, not in Tucson but oh well…).
I always say an unspoken thing on player transfers should be that you're dealing with 19 year olds.

At 19, a lot of things were a big deal to me that wouldn't register these days at 40. The value of hard work, earning stuff over time...I didn't have near the perspective on it at 19 as I do these days.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:58 am
Chicat wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:42 am My wife transferred from Indiana University to Arizona because her freshman year roommate was from LA and ended up hating the cold. The roommate transferred to UA for 2nd semester freshman year and then every time they talked she begged my wife to transfer there too. So she did, we met, and 25 years later we’ve got two kids a dog and a mortgage (unfortunately in Indiana, not in Tucson but oh well…).
I always say an unspoken thing on player transfers should be that you're dealing with 19 year olds.

At 19, a lot of things were a big deal to me that wouldn't register these days at 40. The value of hard work, earning stuff over time...I didn't have near the perspective on it at 19 as I do these days.
Word.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

This is funny.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

What the hell is Scheer talking about here?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I mean, if Fisch is convincing a 4 star kid to walk on that's a whole new thing man.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

azgreg wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:30 am What the hell is Scheer talking about here?
Kicker??

Schools frequently have them walk on.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

We need O linemen!!! Dammit.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
AV8RCAT

Post by AV8RCAT »

That may become common practice as they can now be paid more than enough to cover tuition. Can you have as many walk ons as you want as long as they aren't on scholarship?
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

dmjcat wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:26 am
azgreg wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:30 am What the hell is Scheer talking about here?
Kicker??

If it is not a kicker than Jason is for sure overselling it/clickbait. Guessing it is a kid that had a 4-star HS rating but has fallen hard. I mean it isn't a bad thing to get someone like that, but I'm sure there is a reason he isn't getting a scholarship anywhere at the D1 level.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

dmjcat wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:26 am Kicker??

Heck, kickers rarely get drafted. Only one kicker was drafted in the NFL in 2021.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

DrWildcat wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:45 am
Kicker??

If it is not a kicker than Jason is for sure overselling it/clickbait. Guessing it is a kid that had a 4-star HS rating but has fallen hard. I mean it isn't a bad thing to get someone like that, but I'm sure there is a reason he isn't getting a scholarship anywhere at the D1 level.
An example of this would be someone like Nathan Tilford who was a 4 star, but now would probably be happy to walk on at a P5 conference school.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Kicker??

If it was a kicker I don't think Scheer would put out that tweet and write an article on it.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

azgreg wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:23 am
Kicker??

If it was a kicker I don't think Scheer would put out that tweet and write an article on it.
Additionally, we have a returning Freshman kicker who made 12/12 FGs and 12/12 XPs (wow or offense was bad if we only kicked 12 XP's)
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

gronk4heisman wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:25 am Additionally, we have a returning Freshman kicker who made 12/12 FGs and 12/12 XPs (wow or offense was bad if we only kicked 12 XP's)
Not that it's much better, but Havrisik kicked 3 PATs.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Chicat wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:46 pm 4 star DLineman formerly at UCLA and with offers last year from literally everywhere.
Wow - offers from far and wide: ASU, Arkansas, Auburn, Colorado, Florida, Florida St, LSU, Miami, Michigan, Minnesota, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Oregon, Penn St, TCU, Tennessee, USC, Utah, Washington St, West Virginia.

Welcome Tiaoalii!
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »