New Coach Hot Board

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Chicat

Re: New Coach Hot Board

Post by Chicat »

azcat49 wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:48 pm Hope your right Chi and I thought Chief was a huge supporter of the Sumlin hire?
Yes, he was.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
In re UofA

Post by In re UofA »

I’ve read the chief back and forth on twitter. What is with that guy and why do media respond to him? It’s really beneath them and is amateur hour.

Why does he call himself chief?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

In re UofA wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:32 pm I’ve read the chief back and forth on twitter. What is with that guy and why do media respond to him? It’s really beneath them and is amateur hour.
I don’t know, and I don’t know.
In re UofA wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:32 pm Why does he call himself chief?
Narcissistic personality disorder if I had to take a guess.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

I think it's all a smoke screen and Jay Hill is the surprise hire.

just kiddin we'll probably end up with fisch knowing our luck
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

ramcat

Post by ramcat »

Chicat wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:19 am
In re UofA wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:32 pm I’ve read the chief back and forth on twitter. What is with that guy and why do media respond to him? It’s really beneath them and is amateur hour.
I don’t know, and I don’t know.
Narcissistic personality disorder if I had to take a guess.
Sort of reminds me of Castanza in Seinfeld wanting to be called T-bone, lol. Perhaps Chief should be called Coco.
JohnnyGato

Post by JohnnyGato »

For what it’s worth, I like the Brennan vibe. We as fans will need to have more than typical patience if/when he is hired. Cupboard seems more bare than 2004 when MS came in. Hope he has a plan to turn 2 and 3 star recruits into solid power 5 performers. He won’t get much more than that for a while.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I know Ken gave a hard “no interest” yesterday but apparently there are people who believe he’s still a viable option.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Was Ken a "no interest" or was it just that he is saying nobody from Az has contacted him? I've been around long enough to know that coaches tend to blow smoke to protect their current gig and the next thing you know they are at a press conference with their new team.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Chicat wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:09 am I know Ken gave a hard “no interest” yesterday but apparently there are people who believe he’s still a viable option.
Has he even interviewed? Or had any contact?

So far, only Brennan, Grinch, and Fisch have interviewed.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... izona-job/

Some of the comments at the bottom of the article are hilarious.
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

Scheer keeps mentioning mystery candidate. Anyone have a guess on who that is?
Also, still speaking of big booster pushing Dillingham.
Definitely favoring Brennan. Liked what I read of Grinch, but seems he fails the AZ connection, and don't think Joe is going to come for DC position.
Do like what I've seen of ASU set up with Herm, and am at least intrigued by Cason proposal, though think he needs just a bit more coaching resume.
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

Do favor Dillingham over Fisch at this point, if as Scheer states, he brings AZ connected staff. Mentioned some highly rated QB's interest in FSU due to his connection.
Would imagine he'd come cheaper, so though a gamble, like his upside.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

RondaeShimmy wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:26 am
Chicat wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:09 am I know Ken gave a hard “no interest” yesterday but apparently there are people who believe he’s still a viable option.
Has he even interviewed? Or had any contact?

So far, only Brennan, Grinch, and Fisch have interviewed.
I asked and the answer was “Ken interviewed but not sure it was Heeke so maybe not ‘official’? Lot of cooks in the kitchen on this so shit is muddled AF”.
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

Would imagine Dillingham has interviewed, Scheer has said he's under serious consideration and has a big boosters support. Mentions 2 beyond Brennan and Fisch, as final group making the cut. Guessing Dillingham, and Grinch but there is the mystery candidate.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

He’s like 1/16th Native American, that’s why he calls himself chief.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

ramcat wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:18 am Would imagine Dillingham has interviewed, Scheer has said he's under serious consideration and has a big boosters support. Mentions 2 beyond Brennan and Fisch, as final group making the cut. Guessing Dillingham, and Grinch but there is the mystery candidate.
I know who the mystery candidate is. I’m not impressed. I’d still take him over Fisch though.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

When I used to do interviews, we were warned about candidates with resumes like this who can't stay at a job more than a couple of years:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jedd_Fisch

As coach:
Gainesville (FL) PKY (1997)
Defensive coordinator
New Jersey Red Dogs (1998)
Wide receivers coach/quality control
Florida (1999–2000)
Graduate assistant
Houston Texans (2002–2003)
Defensive quality control
Baltimore Ravens (2004–2007)
Offensive assistant
Denver Broncos (2008)
Wide receivers coach
Minnesota (2009)
Offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach
Seattle Seahawks (2010)
Quarterbacks coach
Miami (FL) (2011–2012)
Offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach
Jacksonville Jaguars (2013–2014)
Offensive coordinator
Michigan (2015–2016)
Pass game coordinator/quarterbacks/wide receivers
UCLA (2017)
Offensive coordinator/quarterbacks/Interim head coach
Los Angeles Rams (2018)
Senior offensive assistant
Los Angeles Rams (2019)
Assistant offensive coordinator
New England Patriots (2020–present)
Quarterbacks coach
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

What worries me about Fisch is he moves around a lot, but in a consistent upwards trajectory. I sort of understand a guy moving a lot if he's getting promoted each time.

With Fisch, it's all over the place. He appears to have been demoted some times, made lateral moves at other times and been promoted some of the time.

Long and short of it with Fisch, no thanks. I don't see it at all with him.
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

ChooChooCat wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:44 am

He’s like 1/16th Native American, that’s why he calls himself chief.
Seems a bit more Squaw than Chief, I know not PC, my apologies to those offended.
How about Squief?
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Chief is claiming on the twitters that Robbins wants Fisch because otherwise Gunnell will leave and Gunnell's dad has something on Robbins lmao
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

I'm at the point of Brennan or bust. Sure I would have been fine with someone like Ken N but he seems out of it at this point.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:51 am What worries me about Fisch is he moves around a lot, but in a consistent upwards trajectory. I sort of understand a guy moving a lot if he's getting promoted each time.

With Fisch, it's all over the place. He appears to have been demoted some times, made lateral moves at other times and been promoted some of the time.

Long and short of it with Fisch, no thanks. I don't see it at all with him.
That’s not all that should worry you about him. This is being universally laughed at by the rest of the college football world.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

RondaeShimmy wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:21 am Chief is claiming on the twitters that Robbins wants Fisch because otherwise Gunnell will leave and Gunnell's dad has something on Robbins lmao
I think Doyle’s dad has something on Chief.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

If it’s Fisch there will be multiple boosters who will be out for a long long time.

Like... new AD, new President long time.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

Chicat wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:29 am If it’s Fisch there will be multiple boosters who will be out for a long long time.

And long time fans that may never come back.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Chicat wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:29 am If it’s Fisch there will be multiple boosters who will be out for a long long time.

They should walk. Why is this guy even being considered? He is not ready for a hc job
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:26 am
I mean, even if he's a good offensive mind (which I am not convinced of given his track record) nothing about him says he's ready to be a HC in college. He has minimal college experience, no track record of being a good recruiter and...it's like we drew a random name out of a hat.

Please, just do Brennan and don't eff this up.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

OSUCat wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:30 am

Yeah, the program would have zero support and zero funding from both the rich and the peasants. Not exactly a recipe for success. What makes this worse is if Robbins finally gets off his high horse and gets off of Fisch, Brennan is less likely to accept the job by the day.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

so basically, at this point, UofA is a laughing stock with this coaching search.

yeah, that seems about right I guess.

sigh
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

PieceOfMeat wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:53 am so basically, at this point, UofA is a laughing stock with this coaching search.

yeah, that seems about right I guess.

sigh
What's crazy is that they didn't have to be a laughing stock. Usually in laughing stock coaching hires its because a school thinks too highly of itself and starts publicly offering the job to every great coach out there and then ends up with their 6th choice.

In our case we had qualified guys who wanted the job and we somehow figured out how to turn them off. Its unreal.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I thought he claimed he was formerly CPO (Chief Petty Officer) in the Navy.
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

ChooChooCat wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:50 am
OSUCat wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:30 am

Yeah, the program would have zero support and zero funding from both the rich and the peasants. Not exactly a recipe for success. What makes this worse is if Robbins finally gets off his high horse and gets off of Fisch, Brennan is less likely to accept the job by the day.
What do you think of Dillingham? I know he's very young, only OC experience, only AZ tie is to ASU, though I like a possible touche, to Pierce, etc...
Has had some Very Good offensive results with Memphis, Auburn and FSU, strong recruiter it seems with some mentions of top QB prospects ties to him, and like his connection to Chaparral an in state hot bed.
Has a Mcvay, Kingsbury vibe to him. Risky but seemingly very high upside.
Still favor Brennan but Dillingham is enticing with the lack of other experienced options.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

If Brennan sours on Arizona because of Robbins' dumbfuckery, than I'd say just hire Dillingham and just see what the hell happens. Why the hell not
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

I don’t believe Dillingham called plays at any of his OC stops. With that said I’d still take him over Fisch.
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

ChooChooCat wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:12 am I don’t believe Dillingham called plays at any of his OC stops. With that said I’d still take him over Fisch.
Ugh, didn't realize that. Not that it means much but Scheer has him at 3 on his coaching board, with at least one big boosters support. Would take him over mystery candidate?
Any interest in Cason pitch? Do like how ASU CEO type approach has worked with Herm. Think recruits are attracted to leaders who have been there and done that, and reached the pinnacle in the sport.
BMalo

Post by BMalo »

Keep in mind Herm coached at the highest level. Cason has NFL experience but I don't think his stint in San Diego matches the leadership traits Herm has acquired over the years as an NFL coach.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

ramcat wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:21 am
ChooChooCat wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:12 am I don’t believe Dillingham called plays at any of his OC stops. With that said I’d still take him over Fisch.
Ugh, didn't realize that. Not that it means much but Scheer has him at 3 on his coaching board, with at least one big boosters support. Would take him over mystery candidate?
Any interest in Cason pitch? Do like how ASU CEO type approach has worked with Herm. Think recruits are attracted to leaders who have been there and done that, and reached the pinnacle in the sport.
Zero interest in Cason pitch. Get some coaching experience and we’ll talk Antoine. The mystery coach isn’t a bad one, I’d hire him over Fisch, but he’s about as obscure as it gets as a candidate. Has zero connection to U of A let alone the state of Arizona.

Dillingham has Arizona appeal and would probably put together a solid Arizona staff and be cheap. He has his perks.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

If we are talking former players with zero coaching experience and it was Bruschi, I’d pretty much jump at it at this point if Brennan turns us down. But it’s Cason. Just don’t know that he’s enough of a “name” to play that CEO/ambassador role.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

My problem with Cason, Herm was like hiring a prior CEO to be CEO.

Cason would be like promoting someone who works the reception desk to be CEO. You'd think if he had the necessary qualities, he wouldn't lack as many of the qualifications.

Please just do Brennan. Fisch is a hard no. Dillingham wouldn't be death, but he seems like a giant roll of the dice. It seems like we're turning tic tac toe into chess for no particular reason.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Been hearing calls for Hunley or Cecil for decades.

There is a reason why some coaches remain lifelong position coaches, although Cecil had one disastrous year as DC for the Titans.

So big giant NO on former players without any head coaching experience or at least success as a college OC or DC.
Last edited by Merkin on Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

BMalo wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:22 am Keep in mind Herm coached at the highest level. Cason has NFL experience but I don't think his stint in San Diego matches the leadership traits Herm has acquired over the years as an NFL coach.
Agreed. Lack of coaching experience is likely deal killer.
Not sure how ASU does from here, but they seem to have some strong momentum with the approach of strong coordinators beneath.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

Whatever the position, there is no, perfect way to conduct an interview and ensure, 100%, you are hiring the right person. With that said, there are certainly ways to mitigate the risk. We could hire Fisch and he can turn out to be the next Carroll. We could hire Brennan, and he could flame out like McIntyre at Colorado. But just looking at all the resumes, who else out there has a better one than Brennan?

He has four years of head coaching experience at the D1 level, meaning he won't be making freshman head coaching mistakes. He's built a winner at SJSU and won his division and a Conference Championship in four years. And he's done it by coaching up players that weren't highly ranked recruits. This alone puts Brennan on top of the list of good hires at Arizona. Add in the fact he already has California and Arizona recruiting ties, plus ties to Tomey and the program as a Grad Assistant, and this should be as close to a home run as Arizona could expect after letting Sumlin go. If we eff this up and don't hire Brennan, the next coach better be the next coming of Pete Carroll! Otherwise, in three years, we could be looking for a new President, AD, and head football coach.
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:31 am
My problem with Cason, Herm was like hiring a prior CEO to be CEO.

Cason would be like promoting someone who works the reception desk to be CEO. You'd think if he had the necessary qualities, he wouldn't lack as many of the qualifications.

Please just do Brennan. Fisch is a hard no. Dillingham wouldn't be death, but he seems like a giant roll of the dice. It seems like we're turning tic tac toe into chess for no particular reason.
Haha, yes! It just might be Brennan wanting to be quiet thru bowl game which is understandable. Quite the moment for the school and players.

Still curious about mystery candidate. Tedford, Pendergast? Lolol
In re UofA

Post by In re UofA »

From how Scheer speaks of Heeke and Robbins I'm sure neither are sources of his.

The "mystery candidate" is cover for when the AD hires someone not on his list.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

BTW, this search is one reason I'm not hot to let Miller go. You assume you'll get a great replacement.

Then, you realize you're actually looking at Jedd Fisch.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Just think, that poor potential basketball candidate/coach might only be able to get us to a 35 rpi.