New Coach Hot Board

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Spaceman Spiff

Re: New Coach Hot Board

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

SCCats wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:30 pm Just think, that poor potential basketball candidate/coach might only be able to get us to a 35 rpi.
If Arizona football doesn't remind you that incompetence can always make things much, much worse, nothing will.

What's Kevin O'Neill doing right now? He might be available.
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

Chicat wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:26 am If we are talking former players with zero coaching experience and it was Bruschi, I’d pretty much jump at it at this point if Brennan turns us down. But it’s Cason. Just don’t know that he’s enough of a “name” to play that CEO/ambassador role.
Would agree, Brushki has that. Still unsure of viability but maybe Tedi could convince Dungy to be special asst/HC, ha!
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

ramcat wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:41 pm
Chicat wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:26 am If we are talking former players with zero coaching experience and it was Bruschi, I’d pretty much jump at it at this point if Brennan turns us down. But it’s Cason. Just don’t know that he’s enough of a “name” to play that CEO/ambassador role.
Would agree, Brushki has that. Still unsure of viability but maybe Tedi could convince Dungy to be special asst/HC, ha!
Apparently the staff that Cason put together is VERY impressive. Does that sway anyone's thoughts on this?
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

UofAlum05 wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:44 pm
Apparently the staff that Cason put together is VERY impressive. Does that sway anyone's thoughts on this?
Norm Chow is not what I would call impressive
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

RondaeShimmy wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:52 pm
UofAlum05 wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:44 pm
Norm Chow is not what I would call impressive
Seriously? That would be good stuff in 2005.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Who's more washed, Chow or Mazzone?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

My only criteria is that he has wildcat roots. That right now given the state of our program and fan apathy is critical
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

azcat49 wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:15 pm My only criteria is that he has wildcat roots. That right now given the state of our program and fan apathy is critical
I'm not sure I agree. I am 100% of the mind you take the guy most likely to build a winning program.

Fan apathy exists because our program never shows promise. An alum who consistently wins 4 games, no one's showing up for that.

Given that we've been relatively unsuccessful in hiring a winner, I don't see it as wise to be too picky at this point. Win first.
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

azcat49 wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:15 pm My only criteria is that he has wildcat roots. That right now given the state of our program and fan apathy is critical
Apparently Fisch has had conversations with Nick Folk about the job. Does that satisfy your Wildcat roots?
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

RondaeShimmy wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:12 pm Who's more washed, Chow or Mazzone?
Mazzone is more of a never was, he has had a career of failure yet continues to get jobs. His last 6 jobs:
Ole Miss OC - Fired after one year
New York Jets WR Coach - HC fired after three years
ASU OC - HC fired after two years
UCLA OC - left for Texas A&M, much to the delight of Bruin fans
Texas AM OC - HC fired after two years
Arizona OC - HC fired after three years
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

RondaeShimmy wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:12 pm Who's more washed, Chow or Mazzone?
What’s worse? Accidentally sitting on your balls or the dull ache and nausea that sets in immediately after?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I feel like anyone who follows Arizona Football is used to a neverending string of crushing disappointment.

Like with Sumlin, any hype with the hire went out the window after the BYU loss when people realized it was the same old s**t.

I don't see any hire breaking that fan mindset on name and resume. Especially since there's virtually no chance anyone could win here in year one.

For anyone to reengage fans, it needs to come from actual optimism based on the upwards trajectory of the program. We've had two instances where that existed in the last 20 years by my count.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

No desire or need whatsoever from my perspective for any specific alum connections. Just someone who can win and recruit.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

:?: :?: :?:
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Amazingly, I think I'd rather have Mazzone. Norm Chow is 74 years old and after he got fired at Hawaii, he's been a HS and XFL assistant. We'd have a HC who was a Nike youth camp assistant and an OC who was a high school assistant.

We're not even capable of pulling the cream of the high school crop. Let that sink in.

Oh, and fwiw, I really think Mazzone is terrible. Rating someone below him might be one of the biggest insults I could hurl.
cerec_cat

Post by cerec_cat »

RondaeShimmy wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:31 pm :?: :?: :?:
Coach Ken seems like the safer choice inmho. Any of the two will be better than what we had. Still wish Salavea was in the talks.
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

ChooChooCat wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:50 am
OSUCat wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:30 am
Chicat wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:29 am If it’s Fisch there will be multiple boosters who will be out for a long long time.

Like... new AD, new President long time.
And long time fans that may never come back.
Yeah, the program would have zero support and zero funding from both the rich and the peasants. Not exactly a recipe for success. What makes this worse is if Robbins finally gets off his high horse and gets off of Fisch, Brennan is less likely to accept the job by the day.
Is it plausible that it's Brennan but delaying announcement till SJSU completes their Bowl game? Makes sense to me, as Brennan seems very close with players. So for me, the longer this announcement is pushed the more it would appear to be Brennan, of course not longer than AZ bowl.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

If we hire Fisch just someone put me out of my misery
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Get your gameday headgear ready.

MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

azgreg wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:10 pm Get your gameday headgear ready.

Wait... What...There is a game today? What did I miss?
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ramcat wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:56 pm
Chicat wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:29 am If it’s Fisch there will be multiple boosters who will be out for a long long time.

Yeah, the program would have zero support and zero funding from both the rich and the peasants. Not exactly a recipe for success. What makes this worse is if Robbins finally gets off his high horse and gets off of Fisch, Brennan is less likely to accept the job by the day.
Is it plausible that it's Brennan but delaying announcement till SJSU completes their Bowl game? Makes sense to me, as Brennan seems very close with players. So for me, the longer this announcement is pushed the more it would appear to be Brennan, of course not longer than AZ bowl.
They played this weekend.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

Brennan makes the most sense to me. The job he did, building SJSU into a winner coaching up lower rated recruits is the exact same job he'd need to do at Arizona. Much bigger mountain to climb in the PAC than versus the Mtn West, but similar obstacles and road bumps. It's not like SJSU is going to have the highest rated recruiting classes year after year, and neither will Arizona. No guarantee Brennan can duplicate his success in Tucson, but his experience translates better than anyone else on the list. Throw in his program ties and Tomey ties, and Brennan is the best hire we can make in my opinion.

I'd be ok with Coach N. as well. But let's be honest. He's coming off a down year at Navy, and his experience at a service academy would be much different than coaching at Arizona. I think Coach N would have a little longer learning curve on how to win in Tucson versus Brennan, but let's be honest, nobody is winning quickly with our roster, and we can afford to be patient while the next guy builds a winning culture. And given time, I think Coach N has a good a shot at building such a culture at Arizona as Brennan.

Everyone else? They need to be third choice at best. None are as good as Brennan or Coach N. Resumes aren't even close.
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:13 pm

Last edited by ramcat on Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

Was referring to their bowl game, which is AZ Bowl Dec.31st.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

That was the conference championship game, not their bowl game.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

NickyBCats wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:54 pm I mean why the F not at this point?!? Any guesses on the staff Cason would pull?
from a former UA kicker who posted this on FB: "Spoke to Antoine earlier today. This is no joke. The staff he’s put together is impressive to support his inexperience. Former NFL players with 10+ years playing experience. Names kids want in their house because they watched them play on TV and video games. Super bowl rings, a coach with multiple Heisman trophy winners under him, former head coaching experience, recruiting experience, a coach from the #1 HS in the nation....he’s very serious and he’s doing it because he cares. We need your support Tucson! This is the type of passion we need on the field"
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

btfd16 wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:00 pm If we hire Fisch just someone put me out of my misery
Arizona Football - It can always get worse.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ramcat wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:18 pm

Was referring to their bowl game, which is AZ Bowl Dec.31st.
My bad.
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

Would think at some point there could be some pressure on Brennan to deny his interest/acceptance of AZ job, so absent that and announcing of other coach, I'm convinced it's Brennan taking over.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Brennan seems to check a lot of the right boxes. But I'm sure this hire, if it's him, will disappoint a lot of people.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Beachcat97 wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:29 pm Brennan seems to check a lot of the right boxes. But I'm sure this hire, if it's him, will disappoint a lot of people.
It was disappointing to me at first, now hearing Fisch is in the final running I would be ecstatic with Brennan. Well played Robbins, well played.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

gronk4heisman wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:30 pm
Beachcat97 wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:29 pm Brennan seems to check a lot of the right boxes. But I'm sure this hire, if it's him, will disappoint a lot of people.
It was disappointing to me at first, now hearing Fisch is in the final running I would be ecstatic with Brennan. Well played Robbins, well played.
That was my thought too. Throwing out a terrible candidate like Fisch was intentional so the UA fanbase can go "whew, at least it wasn't Fisch!".

The old teenager trick.

Dad, I'm pregnant.
WHAT!!!!
Just kidding, but I did smash up the car
WHEW!
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

azgreg wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:48 pm
Weird fit
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Now Antonio Pierce is back in the fold?

What are we doing?
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Alieberman wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:13 pm Now Antonio Pierce is back in the fold?

What are we doing?
Arizona State co-defensive coordinator Antonio Pierce has had serious conversations with University of Arizona officials about its head coaching vacancy and is interested in the job opening, according to two people directly familiar with the development.

San Jose State head coach Brent Brennan and New England Patriots quarterbacks coach Jedd Fisch are also under consideration as candidates for the position, one of the individuals told Sun Devil Source, with a decision by the Wildcats possible as soon as Thursday.
What a mess
Last edited by RondaeShimmy on Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

I’m cool with it.
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

RondaeShimmy wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:18 pm
Alieberman wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:13 pm Now Antonio Pierce is back in the fold?

What are we doing?
Arizona State co-defensive coordinator Antonio Pierce has had serious conversations with University of Arizona officials about its head coaching vacancy and is interested in the job opening, according to two people directly familiar with the development.

San Jose State head coach Brent Brennan and New England Patriots quarterbacks coach Jedd Fisch are also under consideration as candidates for the position, one of the individuals told Sun Devil Source, with a decision by the Wildcats possible as soon as Thursday.
What a mess
Wow! That would add a bit of sauce to the rivalry! He's been a recruiting Stud, so there's that.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

wyo-cat wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:19 pm I’m cool with it.
Correct me if I'm wrong but in "normal" coaching searches... don't you have many candidates and then start eliminating.

We are going in the opposite direction.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Is this the mystery candidate choo?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Wait, hasn't Pierce been mentioned several times by Choo and others in the know that he hates UA with a passion?
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Fisch is the guy to beat :lol: :lol: :lol:
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Merkin wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:34 pm Wait, hasn't Pierce been mentioned several times by Choo and others in the know that he hates UA with a passion?
context,

Seems silly to hate the university not the coach for that imo
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Welp Scheer thinks it's going to be Fisch. If that happens I'm done with all Arizona sports until Robbins is gone. I won't be here again until that day.
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

Is anyone directly familiar with Brennan buyout? Saw link about his extension, and it mentioned a years salary, which post extension, was said to be $850k.
Think in light of Sumlin debacle, that might make him slightly less viable depending on other contract detail.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Can’t wait until Fisch ditches us in two years to become co-OC at Arkansas State.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Are we sure Robbins isn't just doing this to make Heeke quit?
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

Chicat wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:49 pm Can’t wait until Fisch ditches us in two years to become co-OC at Arkansas State.
Nah, he will collect the buyout from Arizona first.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Alieberman wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:53 pm Are we sure Robbins isn't just doing this to make Heeke quit?
Why would he have given him an extension then?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

ramcat wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:44 pm Is anyone directly familiar with Brennan buyout? Saw link about his extension, and it mentioned a years salary, which post extension, was said to be $850k.
Think in light of Sumlin debacle, that might make him slightly less viable depending on other contract detail.
It's a few hundred K, literally nothing we can't handle. But nevermind about that? Can I interest you in a piece of shit nomad coach that our president gave heart surgery to instead?