New Coach Hot Board

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Carcassdragger

Re: New Coach Hot Board

Post by Carcassdragger »

CopaCat wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:44 am The worst thing about this hire is the sheer lack of vision. Lets say Fisch actually is a good coach, it won't matter. He is inheriting a complete shit show and it is gonna take him at least 3 to 4 years to get it going. Being that the fan and alumni support for this hire is nil, good luck getting those 3rd and 4th years to build. If Fisch goes 1-11 and 2-10 in years 1 and 2 it's a wrap. Robbins is a complete boob.

Hey the guy has great references and surely can coach the Xs and Os.

Hope that after we all recover from the whiplash and that our fanbase, alumni, and administration can all work together to support this program and turn it back to some level of respectability.
Last edited by Carcassdragger on Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Hopefully the donor for the Sumlin bye out can still put a stop payment on that check.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

gronk4heisman wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:59 am Hopefully the donor for the Sumlin bye out can still put a stop payment on that check.
Or sue for fraudulent inducement.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

Does anyone know who the booster was who paid for the buyout? Was it Robbins and is that why he was able to make the decision?
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Look for a rich guy with a chapped ass.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Carcassdragger wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:53 am
CopaCat wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:44 am The worst thing about this hire is the sheer lack of vision. Lets say Fisch actually is a good coach, it won't matter. He is inheriting a complete shit show and it is gonna take him at least 3 to 4 years to get it going. Being that the fan and alumni support for this hire is nil, good luck getting those 3rd and 4th years to build. If Fisch goes 1-11 and 2-10 in years 1 and 2 it's a wrap. Robbins is a complete boob.

Hope that after we all recover from the whiplash that our fanbase, alumni, and administration can all work together to support this program and turn it back to some level of respectability.
He's never been a head coach, he's never stayed at a single job longer than three years, he's been demoted multiple times and he has no support beyond Robbins.

I'm not paying money for this. I graduated from Arizona, but that doesn't mean I have to support ridiculous cronyism that simultaneously decimates our budget.
prh

Post by prh »

Hope that after we all recover from the whiplash that our fanbase, alumni, and administration can all work together to support this program and turn it back to some level of respectability.
He was the Patriots QB coach this year. Have you seen the Patriots play AT ALL? Have you seen any of the other historical data on him posted both here and elsewhere? He has no record of success
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

UALoco wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:17 pm Does anyone know who the booster was who paid for the buyout? Was it Robbins and is that why he was able to make the decision?

From the Fire Sumlin thread:
UAEebs86 wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:47 pm
NickyBCats wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:45 pm
UAEebs86 wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:42 pm Mmmmmm.... who has Premium at Rivals?

Humberto Lopez

This guy?:

https://www.linkedin.com/in/humberto-s-lopez-82b15580/
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

84Cat wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:06 am
That tweet does not mean what he thinks it means... akin to but worse than the more commonly misused "I could care less".
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

prh wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:24 pm

He was the Patriots QB coach this year. Have you seen the Patriots play AT ALL? Have you seen any of the other historical data on him posted both here and elsewhere? He has no record of success

Remember that year he coached Josh Rosen at UCLA? He threw 5 interceptions against a last ranked Arizona defense.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

That’s MY coach! And my new favorite program!

I’ll be entering the transfer portal and will now be posting on SJSU’s fan site. Later bitches.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Did he turn us down?
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

84Cat wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:04 pm Did he turn us down?
Nope
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

It would make me feel a tiny bit better if he and all the other coaches turned us down and we had no choice but to...

Strike that. This is Arizona football. I should know better.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Well, good for him! He deserves it
phxcat23

Post by phxcat23 »

Love the Arizona football Twitter having to back the hire by posting quotes from NFL coaches like McVay and Carroll to try to justify this hire.
ztonyg

Post by ztonyg »

It's a terrible hire. Basically Robbins hired him over the AD's head to screw with the AD. If he does well, Robbins will take credit for this. If he fails, he'll blame Heeke and Heeke will be fired. I'd take Stoops or Rich Rod 100 times over this guy.
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

EastCoastCat wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:07 pm
It would make me feel a tiny bit better if he and all the other coaches turned us down and we had no choice but to...

Arizona had a couple of highly qualified candidates who wanted the job if offered.
ztonyg

Post by ztonyg »

Based upon his resume he'll only be here 1 or 2 years win or lose. Hopefully by then we'll have a new AD and/or President.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

UofAlum05 wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:49 pm

Arizona had a couple of highly qualified candidates who wanted the job if offered.
That's what's so doubly frustrating. It felt like we had two legit candidates that were completely obtainable, and instead we looked those gift horses right in the mouth and went with some rando who would be like the 8th or 9th choice based on actual merit.
Robert A Booey

Post by Robert A Booey »

catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Even a blind Hansen can find a nut every once in a while:
Robert A Booey

Post by Robert A Booey »

Beachcat97 wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:29 am SoCal AZ Alums, are you getting as many Jed the Fish jokes lobbed at you this morning? Was Kevin Bean already hired elsewhere?
Richard Blade is the new offensive coordinator and Sluggo the DC.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

UAEebs86 wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:25 pm
UALoco wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:17 pm Does anyone know who the booster was who paid for the buyout? Was it Robbins and is that why he was able to make the decision?
From the Fire Sumlin thread:
UAEebs86 wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:47 pm
NickyBCats wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:45 pm
UAEebs86 wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:42 pm Mmmmmm.... who has Premium at Rivals?
Humberto Lopez
This guy?:
https://www.linkedin.com/in/humberto-s-lopez-82b15580/
Would not surprise me one bit. Search property records for HSL and you'll see the commercial property empire he has built. Quite the residence down the street from campus as well. His old neighbor was Lisa Frank

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

My buddy texted me. He’s my source for inside the AD news and a mid-level booster.

He’s buddies with some other boosters. Their text chain last night featured screenshots of emails canceling monthly donations/season tickets and a lot of talk about how the well is dry until Robbins is gone. Nothing surprising there.

The one thing they all mentioned is that Robbins is rumored to be all set to come to them for more facility upgrade money and the plan is just not to pick up the phone. They aren’t going to say why, they’re just not going to be there.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

I would prefer they answer and tell him to fuck off unless they already have.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

Chicat wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:29 pm My buddy texted me. He’s my source for inside the AD news and a mid-level booster.

He’s buddies with some other boosters. Their text chain last night featured screenshots of emails canceling monthly donations/season tickets and a lot of talk about how the well is dry until Robbins is gone. Nothing surprising there.

The one thing they all mentioned is that Robbins is rumored to be all set to come to them for more facility upgrade money and the plan is just not to pick up the phone. They aren’t going to say why, they’re just not going to be there.
I wish they would say why... I graduated 2016 and am starting to do seriously well for myself. The school doesn't know that yet, but was planning first sizeable donation soon. Yeah that's not happening until Robbins and Heeke are gone. At least by the time Robbins is gone, I will have saved even more and worked even higher, trying to get my name on something lol.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I think the idea behind the silence is that the issue is with Robbins only. People in the AD they will gladly talk to, but Robbins might as well be dead.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

Chicat wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:40 pm I think the idea behind the silence is that the issue is with Robbins only. People in the AD they will gladly talk to, but Robbins might as well be dead.
Got it. That makes sense. Don't answer Robbins, answer Heeke.

Although I still don't think Heeke is right for the job. The Heath Bray, Rob Waldrop story rubbed me the wrong way.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

I haven't followed Arizona football as much as most of you. I came from Indiana, and followed Purdue. I graduated from UA and become a Wildcats fan for decades. I still follow UA basketball, but not as passionate as I once did. It's more about the unpredictability of the sport and one-and-done than anything else. I'm dead to Arizona football as of now. At least as football is concerned I will go back to Purdue. I've lost all hope of Arizona football to waste my time in supporting it.
ztonyg

Post by ztonyg »

Chicat wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:29 pm My buddy texted me. He’s my source for inside the AD news and a mid-level booster.

If Robbins was all set to ask them for facility upgrade money why the hell would he hire someone without their input?

Don't major boosters generally get a seat at the table when it comes to coaching searches?

It seems like a rather dumb move to hire a guy without booster buy in and then ask for money.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ztonyg wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:04 pm

If Robbins was all set to ask them for facility upgrade money why the hell would he hire someone without their input?

Don't major boosters generally get a seat at the table when it comes to coaching searches?

It seems like a rather dumb move to hire a guy without booster buy in and then ask for money.
They're by no means major boosters, and would have no input on coaching decisions. They're not giving millions. But they are pissed that the major boosters had no input.
AV8RCAT

Post by AV8RCAT »

Harvey Specter wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:51 pm
84Cat wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:06 am
That tweet does not mean what he thinks it means... akin to but worse than the more commonly misused "I could care less".
LOL first thing I noticed.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

btfd16 wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:44 pm
Chicat wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:40 pm I think the idea behind the silence is that the issue is with Robbins only. People in the AD they will gladly talk to, but Robbins might as well be dead.
Got it. That makes sense. Don't answer Robbins, answer Heeke.

Although I still don't think Heeke is right for the job. The Heath Bray, Rob Waldrop story rubbed me the wrong way.
What story is that?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Robert A Booey wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:40 pm
Beachcat97 wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:29 am SoCal AZ Alums, are you getting as many Jed the Fish jokes lobbed at you this morning? Was Kevin Bean already hired elsewhere?
Richard Blade is the new offensive coordinator and Sluggo the DC.
Haha...that's more like it!
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

So far it looks like Arizona Stadium and Brennan were not a good match.

SJSU losing 27-0 in the first quarter to Ball State.
-JB
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

Sounds like they are heavily depleted because of Covid. OC/DC, player of year in conference on defense, 40% of of OL. Probably have to give them a pass. But yeah, I’m struggling to reaffirm that there’s a difference between the weather (the game) and the climate (the program).
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Just came here to see what people thought of Herman.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

As an assistant? Would love it.
AV8RCAT

Post by AV8RCAT »

Someone should hire him. Technically a fired coach, but 7-3 in a shitty plague year?
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

I meant, should we have waited and hired him?
And I come here and see Scheer’s tweet.
prh

Post by prh »

Herman would easily be the best retread candidate...but still cashing checks from another school. So that's a hard pass. If he wants to come and rehab his career as coordinator, ok, but we already have an OC. He should just trade places with Sark and go be OC at Bama
Last edited by prh on Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

No got me it was Brennan who I still think was our best choice and will kill it at his next stop (zi think UCLA).

Herman was a retread and we have seen enough of those
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

Arizona hiring a fired coach from a big money school in the state of Texas. Haven't I've seen this story a few times already?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

AzCatFan2 wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:56 pm Arizona hiring a fired coach from a big money school in the state of Texas. Haven't I've seen this story a few times already?
It's a bold strategy Cotton.
-JB
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Retrend this, Retrend That? That all y'all can really say? Isn't Sark a retrend coach too and about to take over Texas? I dont see their fans complaining about Retrend this or Retrend that on him? The only thing there mention is his time at UW and USC and his drinking problem. But he a change man.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Chicat wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:24 pm
You know i would rather hear that from his agent? or this is complete BS from Scheer.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

He was the OC at Alabama and is playing for a natty next week cordy do he is far from a retread. He probably is or was the most sought after assistant in the country

And no agent In His right mind would tweet Info on his client. I was surprised Scheer gave out that info but I sure haven’t heard any parties deny it
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

azcat49 wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:30 pm No got me it was Brennan who I still think was our best choice and will kill it at his next stop (zi think UCLA).

Herman was a retread and we have seen enough of those
Hiring Brennan would be totally UCLA. Hopefully we didn't hire Jarmond to make a totally DG type move.