Assistant Coach Hotboard

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

azgreg

Re: Assistant Coach Hotboard

Post by azgreg »

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Merkin wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:21 pm So another one with no recruiting ties? Gonna be a long season next year with FCS quality players.
Yeah, it's worrisome no one is a notable recruiter. Our roster needs talent and Arizona doesn't recruit itself.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

azgreg wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:41 pm
It sure as hell isn't talented, either. You can have some tough guys, but if your DB's are running 4.8's, it won't matter.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

Hunley and Cecil are both great Cats, and are household names to older Arizona fans. But this means nothing to kids, especially those who don't live in Tucson, where the majority of our recruits come from. Hunley is 59 and has been out of coaching for 5 years. Cecil didn't light up the League as a D-coordinator, and neither guy seems to be turning down too many coaching offers from either college or the pros.

I don't mind hiring alums, but where a person went to school should be very far down the list of qualifications. If these guys aren't alum, would we be excited about a guy who hasn't coached in 5 years and another who was working as a consultant and hasn't recruited anyone in forever?
prh

Post by prh »

This is why I hate this notion that we should go for alumni. I'd rather go for what will win
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

CopaCat

Post by CopaCat »

Merkin wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:11 am Glad to see the UA connections, but can Cecil and Hunley recruit? Don't see a whole lot of recruiters on this team.

Both are in their mid to late 50's and have been out of football for a couple of years until Cecil was hired as a non coach.
Yeah I like the UofA connections, but that is it. Would rather have Cason on staff than either of these guys. Obviously Salavea would've been preferred over Brown as a D Coordinator/AHC option too but I guess not enough money or interest there. We need recruiters, period. I hope they have recruiting connections but I seriously doubt it. That is my problem with the hires as of now.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

azgreg wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:12 pm
Ucla has had some awful offensive lines over the years with horrible coaches and he was probably the worst. And an even worse recruiter, but I think we were his first college job so he probably had no idea what he was doing. But if he's the guy at OL, Jedd's Rolodex might be smaller than I thought
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Hope he realizes that a lot of Polynesian players play in the conference and he has a thought on how he can tap into that
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

How does a guy become an Offensive line coach in the league if he is terrible? I get the recruiting part but I would think you are hired in the league because you can coach
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

azcat49 wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:05 pm How does a guy become an Offensive line coach in the league if he is terrible? I get the recruiting part but I would think you are hired in the league because you can coach
Fraley has a long playing history, I'm sure that helps. The Lions are sort of a dumpster fire under Patricia, so I'm not sure it's fair to judge him too much based off recent performance.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

azcat49 wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:05 pm How does a guy become an Offensive line coach in the league if he is terrible? I get the recruiting part but I would think you are hired in the league because you can coach
He was hired as an assistant offensive line coach at Detroit, post UCLA, before he was promoted this year, Im assuming because Patricia was on a hot seat and he was easier to promote then fine someone. Or maybe he was just well liked? Or maybe better in the NFL?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Just curious as we are going to need a really good OLine coach because our talent level there sucks
prh

Post by prh »

As much as we want to believe that coaching is a merit based thing, it's frequently not. We just hired a guy who took a former NFL MVP and got him to throw 5 TDs vs 10 interceptions this year.
CopaCat

Post by CopaCat »

MrBug708 wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:01 pm
azgreg wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:12 pm
Ucla has had some awful offensive lines over the years with horrible coaches and he was probably the worst. And an even worse recruiter, but I think we were his first college job so he probably had no idea what he was doing. But if he's the guy at OL, Jedd's Rolodex might be smaller than I thought
I love the ringing endorsement. Jeeze, this staff is already looking like a massive dumpster fire just waiting for the ember to get it going. Or maybe I am wrong and all of these old timers are well in tuned with the young fellas of today.
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Should Huntley’s first recruit be Jim Click?
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

You guys bitch about everything. You have no idea of their recruiting ability. Walk into a db recruits room and throw down the cover of Sports Illustrated that say's "too tough for the NFL" and you will get at least in the door. Mention that you are in the college football hall of fame and ears will perk up. These are going to be the guys that coach them also. Tough and nastiness are required. That is how you become successful with lower level recruits which you feel is all we will get.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

AV8RCAT

Post by AV8RCAT »

TheCat wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:57 pm You guys bitch about everything. You have no idea of their recruiting ability. Walk into a db recruits room and throw down the cover of Sports Illustrated that say's "too tough for the NFL" and you will get at least in the door. Mention that you are in the college football hall of fame and ears will perk up. These are going to be the guys that coach them also. Tough and nastiness are required. That is how you become successful with lower level recruits which you feel is all we will get.
No shit man. Like we have done so damn well with non alumni hires. One thing I want is coaches that really want to be here. These guys do and I bet their heart will be into it more than most. That counts for a lot in my book.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Well just seeing the old football alums react positively is neat to me
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

TheCat wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:57 pm You guys bitch about everything. You have no idea of their recruiting ability. Walk into a db recruits room and throw down the cover of Sports Illustrated that say's "too tough for the NFL" and you will get at least in the door. Mention that you are in the college football hall of fame and ears will perk up. These are going to be the guys that coach them also. Tough and nastiness are required. That is how you become successful with lower level recruits which you feel is all we will get.
Look, I'm not trying to be a jerk, but Cecil has been on staff since 2018 and our recruiting rankings have been 61st, 56th and 59th since he's been here.

If he can roll in and use his SI cover, it sure hasn't worked like that so far. Hunley...if he could kill it on the recruiting trail, why has no one hired him since 2015.

I don't think it's unreasonable to ask why neither of them has demonstrated high level recruiting. Maybe they can do the job, but I don't think you can say it's any kind of sure thing because they've never done it before.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Recruiting is about relationships.

It would be a good move to bring in guys who have those relationships and can turn them into commits.

Or we can hire a bunch of guys who need to start from scratch and are bringing 30+ year old copies of Athlon’s with them to introduce themselves to 17 year olds.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

I'll ask again, if Hunley and Cecil weren't alumni, would anyone be thrilled about hiring a 59-year old who hasn't coached at any level in 5 years, and a 56-year old whose only college experience is as a consultant, and really has never done any recruiting in his career? Sure, Cecil can plop down a SI Cover from a decade before any of the recruits have been born, but how much weight does that really carry? What were Cecil's results as a coach? What players vouch for his ability and say they became better because they had Cecil on the sidelines? Same question about Hunley.

I'm not against hiring alumni, but fans often get too excited thinking the success these guys had on the field will automatically translate to their coaching ability, and players will magically play just like their coaches. It does happen, but more often than not, alumni are not successful coaching at the school they graduated from. Scott Frost won a National Championship at Nebraska as a player. As a coach, in three years, he's 12-20. And at least Frost's success at UCF gave him a resume worthy of consideration to be a head coach at a school like Nebraska. Hunley and Cecil? It's not like schools or the NFL are beating down their respective doors.
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

Felt like Fisch needed to put together a great staff to have a chance, two alumni that no one else wanted on their staff ain't it. These also feel like forced hires because the initial hire of Fisch was so screwed up. In the end no one will care if alumni are on his staff after he loses his first game.
AV8RCAT

Post by AV8RCAT »

At a school like AZ, don't you have to outwork the competition? Who do you think is going to do that? A carpetbagger with no connection or someone who has wanted to be here for a long time?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

What is Charlie Dickey doing these days?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Chicat wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:22 pm Recruiting is about relationships.

It would be a good move to bring in guys who have those relationships and can turn them into commits.

Or we can hire a bunch of guys who need to start from scratch and are bringing 30+ year old copies of Athlon’s with them to introduce themselves to 17 year olds.
This.

These hires are stupid not because these men are incapable of coaching and motivating players, it’s stupid because the connections to recruit effectively aren’t there and they’re hires to make up solely for Robbins forcing the issue and forcing Jedd Fisch on this university, so to atone for it we have to hire two alums who wouldn’t get a job anywhere else in the country at this level. Yay.
CopaCat

Post by CopaCat »

Took the words right out of my mouth.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

ChooChooCat wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:44 pm

This.

These hires are stupid not because these men are incapable of coaching and motivating players, it’s stupid because the connections to recruit effectively aren’t there and they’re hires to make up solely for Robbins forcing the issue and forcing Jedd Fisch on this university, so to atone for it we have to hire two alums who wouldn’t get a job anywhere else in the country at this level. Yay.
Don’t say this on twitter! Can’t dare question the hiring of these saviors
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

CopaCat wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:51 pm
Merkin wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:11 am Glad to see the UA connections, but can Cecil and Hunley recruit? Don't see a whole lot of recruiters on this team.

Both are in their mid to late 50's and have been out of football for a couple of years until Cecil was hired as a non coach.
Yeah I like the UofA connections, but that is it. Would rather have Cason on staff than either of these guys. Obviously Salavea would've been preferred over Brown as a D Coordinator/AHC option too but I guess not enough money or interest there. We need recruiters, period. I hope they have recruiting connections but I seriously doubt it. That is my problem with the hires as of now.
Why not just have Both? Brown and Salavea? that unless he want's to leave a very good position at Oregon.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

This.

Didn't we do the same shit with RR when he blew up his entire defensive staff and the candidate that were mention in which Hundley and Cecil name were mention at that time. Wasn't that being force upon even thou he didn't hired them but Fisch is willing to bet that. Plus why would these hires be stupid? I mean Cecil and Hundley could easy turn down the job.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

AzCatFan2 wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:26 pm I'll ask again, if Hunley and Cecil weren't alumni, would anyone be thrilled about hiring a 59-year old who hasn't coached at any level in 5 years, and a 56-year old whose only college experience is as a consultant, and really has never done any recruiting in his career? Sure, Cecil can plop down a SI Cover from a decade before any of the recruits have been born, but how much weight does that really carry? What were Cecil's results as a coach? What players vouch for his ability and say they became better because they had Cecil on the sidelines? Same question about Hunley.

I'm not against hiring alumni, but fans often get too excited thinking the success these guys had on the field will automatically translate to their coaching ability, and players will magically play just like their coaches. It does happen, but more often than not, alumni are not successful coaching at the school they graduated from. Scott Frost won a National Championship at Nebraska as a player. As a coach, in three years, he's 12-20. And at least Frost's success at UCF gave him a resume worthy of consideration to be a head coach at a school like Nebraska. Hunley and Cecil? It's not like schools or the NFL are beating down their respective doors.
No
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

cordera89 wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:35 pm

This.

Didn't we do the same shit with RR when he blew up his entire defensive staff and the candidate that were mention in which Hundley and Cecil name were mention at that time. Wasn't that being force upon even thou he didn't hired them but Fisch is willing to bet that. Plus why would these hires be stupid? I mean Cecil and Hundley could easy turn down the job.
Turn down the job for what exactly? Retirement?
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Shit I'm old compared to kids now but I'm still only 34. You must be 65 at least. Pretty sure most kids would crack up and walk away with this kind of weird speech. They don't care about this shit.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

AzCatFan2 wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:26 pm I'll ask again, if Hunley and Cecil weren't alumni, would anyone be thrilled about hiring a 59-year old who hasn't coached at any level in 5 years, and a 56-year old whose only college experience is as a consultant, and really has never done any recruiting in his career? Sure, Cecil can plop down a SI Cover from a decade before any of the recruits have been born, but how much weight does that really carry? What were Cecil's results as a coach? What players vouch for his ability and say they became better because they had Cecil on the sidelines? Same question about Hunley.

Absolutely this. No idea why old dudes assume that some kid born in 2003 will give a fuck about what some player did Tucson when their own parents were in 3rd grade. This isn't 1994.
BeardownZonaZona

Post by BeardownZonaZona »

Agreed. It's not about being tough and nasty anymore. It's about growing your brand and making yourself a marketable star in college and the next level. Kids could not care less what the recruiter was doing when he played. It's all about how I can grow myself as a name and as a likeness
scumdevils86 wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:26 pm
Shit I'm old compared to kids now but I'm still only 34. You must be 65 at least. Pretty sure most kids would crack up and walk away with this kind of weird speech. They don't care about this shit.
I said what I said and I mean it.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

ChooChooCat wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:09 pm

This.

Turn down the job for what exactly? Retirement?
Turn the down job of not coaching? Come on dude
mofo

Post by mofo »

scumdevils86 wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:26 pmShit I'm old compared to kids now but I'm still only 34. You must be 65 at least. Pretty sure most kids would crack up and walk away with this kind of weird speech. They don't care about this shit.
Sounds like we need Trevor Lawrence, Nick Saban or bust.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

This.

Rich Rod was hired in 2012. Hunley was still coaching and Cecil was coaching for an NFL team. It's been 8 years since then lmao.

Edit: Staff was blown up 2015. Hunley still coaching, Cecil still with the Rams
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I just wanted to point out that there are 3 pages of discussions here about the assistant coaches of Arizona. (not to mention all very active head coach thread)

For all the talk of everyone giving up and swearing off of AZ football.... there still seems to be a lot of interest.

We are such a battered wife.

Happy New Year everyone and Bear Down!
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

:)
scumdevils86 wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:26 pm
I get a vision of a 17 year old asking "what's a Sports Illustrated magazine?"
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Might as well show them a TV Guide.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Can you choose the ‘98 team on any new video game?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

EastCoastCat wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:10 am Can you choose the ‘98 team on any new video game?
In college football? There are no CFB video games...thank you Ed O'Bannon.

Joking aside, the fact the NCAA licensed CBB and CFB games for years should tell you all you need to know about "amateurism."
AV8RCAT

Post by AV8RCAT »

God you people. You bitch about alumni being considered for promotions because they are life long position coaches, then bitch about them being hired as position coaches.

News flash: Our program is a giant smoking crater dug during many years of hiring coaches with no love for the community town and program, just a pay check. Were lucky that we have Alumni willing, out of love, to try to come back to try to save this shit hole program.

As far as coaches no other program wanted? Yeah, we are the program no other coaches want.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Cecil needs to convince our DBs that making a good hit on a receiver is better than sex-something he was quoted as saying when he was in the NFL.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

AV8RCAT wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:42 am God you people. You bitch about alumni being considered for promotions because they are life long position coaches, then bitch about them being hired as position coaches.

News flash: Our program is a giant smoking crater dug during many years of hiring coaches with no love for the community town and program, just a pay check. Were lucky that we have Alumni willing, out of love, to try to come back to try to save this shit hole program.

As far as coaches no other program wanted? Yeah, we are the program no other coaches want.
You're doing a lot of bitching about people bitching. Take a step back and realize the complaints.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

AV8RCAT wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:42 am God you people. You bitch about alumni being considered for promotions because they are life long position coaches, then bitch about them being hired as position coaches.

Or we could have hired Brennan or Niumatalolo who both have effective staffs that could have come with them. Half the issue with this is driven by hiring a HC with no current staff to draw on.

I don't think it's hating on Cecil or Hunley to be apprehensive that Fisch's crack staff is an analyst and a guy out of coaching since 2015. I get liking alums, but this feels so much like Robbins and Fisch using the alum factor as cover for a dearth of actual proven recruiters and coaches.